Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

XQ Super School Special!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XQ Super School Special!!!

31st in math
    20th in language skills
    19th in science

"ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC have all put aside any network competition to join together to air a one hour special on the issue of what needs to change in American High Schools, and what we can all do to help..."

YEA! Long...long overdue... Maybe there is hope [and then the XQ Super School Special began:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vCMW5YKDnI

Anyone catch it long enough to form a rational opinion about?
    My imaginary friend is smarter, and meaner than me. Both what I would never, and could never dream up if I were able to want to... Proof bites.

I looked for a transcript of it, couldn't find one. I only got a few minutes into it.

We can look at the American system as basically two systems, the top half of our schools rank much higher among the world than 31st, 20th. and 19th, the bottom half much worse.

Our bizarre and convoluted system of funding is antiquated and inequitable, some reforms over the last twenty years have made slightly altered the way schools are funded.

Comment

A transcript of mainstream medias attempt to meet and raise whatever the popteen attention span has become right on the cusp of virtual reality actualizing mind over matter in ways we'll be drowning in before we even see it coming... Put just those few minutes to paper... ...awe, and cringe... Exactly how those statistics are arrived at, who precisely they apply to, and just what we ought to take from them, is either extremely difficult to effectively make heads and/or tails of, or is perhaps the perfect example of just what our own smartness has already gotten us into..walls of over-layered factoids always instantly at our fingertips, freeing our minds for ever better whatevers than this right here and now yawnfest... I can look around, and then google around the rest of the world I can't see and its obvious that cutting edge technology and problem solving skills are nothing Americans claim a monopoly on anymore... I hope you are right in that those numbers mostly apply to half of us. But that turns to "wishing" you are right quickly... Then the need to kind of blind myself a little, to keep that wishful thinking from getting too desperate...but then the patronizing and belittling musical numbers that drown out our concerned, colluding talking heads keeps starting again 2 minutes in...and had I any more faith in humanity to be wrung bloodlike from a stone left, I'd weep uselessly each time... But, sigh, shrug, scream and hug is all I got left.

Funding is where our convoluted thinking hits the fan and becomes undeniable. Its not the problem, it's merely proof of it...As a proper global citizen, nationalistic issues like this are dead within an obsolete context and archaic source of destructive pride. PEOPLE are getting smarter. Where they happen to be shouldn't raise any concerns except in fading seniors who will never get over their isolating and divisive jingoism anyway. The group that has the privileged and resources to raise the best minds of the next generation is just shifting across borders, not disappearing. Western civilization, and American influence has been in decline for a long time now and an hour long music video stroking the ego of indigos and the brights ain't gonna change a thing... This is us...concluding and whirling like a dervish protesting the inevitable... And were it as simple as that, great! Americans can use a break. But that all the smarter/none the wiser thing slips a spanner into the works and every fact in the Universe can't help if we don't let them make kinder, more loving and giving people of us... That show sure showed we can still fake it however...almost like there were no tomorrow.

My imaginary friend is smarter, and meaner than me. Both what I would never, and could never dream up if I were able to want to... Proof bites.

Comment

Originally posted by Kokugno View Post
        A transcript of mainstream medias attempt to meet and raise whatever the popteen attention span has become right on the cusp of virtual reality actualizing mind over matter in ways we'll be drowning in before we even see it coming... Put just those few minutes to paper... ...awe, and cringe... Exactly how those statistics are arrived at, who precisely they apply to, and just what we ought to take from them, is either extremely difficult to effectively make heads and/or tails of, or is perhaps the perfect example of just what our own smartness has already gotten us into..walls of over-layered factoids always instantly at our fingertips, freeing our minds for ever better whatevers than this right here and now yawnfest... I can look around, and then google around the rest of the world I can't see and its obvious that cutting edge technology and problem solving skills are nothing Americans claim a monopoly on anymore... I hope you are right in that those numbers mostly apply to half of us. But that turns to "wishing" you are right quickly... Then the need to kind of blind myself a little, to keep that wishful thinking from getting too desperate...but then the patronizing and belittling musical numbers that drown out our concerned, colluding talking heads keeps starting again 2 minutes in...and had I any more faith in humanity to be wrung bloodlike from a stone left, I'd weep uselessly each time... But, sigh, shrug, scream and hug is all I got left.

Funding is where our convoluted thinking hits the fan and becomes undeniable. Its not the problem, it's merely proof of it...As a proper global citizen, nationalistic issues like this are dead within an obsolete context and archaic source of destructive pride. PEOPLE are getting smarter. Where they happen to be shouldn't raise any concerns except in fading seniors who will never get over their isolating and divisive jingoism anyway. The group that has the privileged and resources to raise the best minds of the next generation is just shifting across borders, not disappearing. Western civilization, and American influence has been in decline for a long time now and an hour long music video stroking the ego of indigos and the brights ain't gonna change a thing... This is us...concluding and whirling like a dervish protesting the inevitable... And were it as simple as that, great! Americans can use a break. But that all the smarter/none the wiser thing slips a spanner into the works and every fact in the Universe can't help if we don't let them make kinder, more loving and giving people of us... That show sure showed we can still fake it however...almost like there were no tomorrow.
        Not sure where the parody starts and ends here. But since many do argue similarly, I'll assume this is not a poe.

We at still churning out students prepared to enter both the working world, which requires a basic grasp o the three Rs, even though more is required than in the past. We also graduate students able to go on to world class universities, as well as other levels of higher education. So at least some of our education is effective.

We also have a significant number who are unprepared for much else after high school.

The funding problem does represent our convoluted thinking on education. The education dollars follow political patronage, and attempts to instill rational funding basis meet resistance, from both sides of the aisle.

Comment

Originally posted by simplicio View Post

Not sure where the parody starts and ends here. But since many do argue similarly, I'll assume this is not a poe.
          Some topics hit me as unbearably critical and so intensely ironic that my already worn thin coping mechanism can only resort to weird gallows humor and wordy poetic waxing in defense of my sanity and lust of non-violence. Generation Z inheriting, then surviving the Zombie Apocalypse by trending outside of the box mob thinking that candy coats brains so thickly even the starving undead prefer deer or goat gray matter over the empty calories New World humans have to sell, occasionally stuns me into reciprocal lunacy that can only try to imply and hint at the reality no one wants to think that hard about any more... It's the pudding or cheese or spoonful of sugar obligatory optimism demands medicine be wrapped unknowingly in at this point... Odd way to express and foreshadow the seriousness of the heart attack no doubt in my future. I used to anticipate a nervous breakdown instead...but my kidney stone was worse.

We at still churning out students prepared to enter both the working world, which requires a basic grasp o the three Rs, even though more is required than in the past.
          "churning out students"...prepared to go to work is churning out graduate workers who are glad the studying and imposed learning is completed and ready to be milked for all the material worth the catalogues said it would have...post student loan enslavement....What gives you the impression that more is required today to acheive the same things as in the past? ...Very different skills and labor may be needed, but not sure it's more...challenging, or intellectual or progressive...

We also graduate students able to go on to world class universities, as well as other levels of higher education. So at least some of our education is effective.
          Of course... It'd be tough to create a complete fiasco while so many are paying so much money and attention... But it begs the question, education effectively did what to us, and is doing to to them? What is it's purpose? - Churn out workers to keep the modern lifestyle at least within reach- covered that. Shape minds that can problem solve our way out of this multifaceted mess better than us before it is too late? ...Seems a logical and pragmatic goal, if we can teach kids how stupid and reckless and not to be trusted the generation of professors before them are... Perhaps in less potentially extincting times teaching young adults to think, to wonder, to relish the curiosity that lead us to explore and exploit all the places we could get to...but not any more. Now we learn how to earn a living. Now we can access everything, anytime...cobble it into cutting edge deconstructionism and delete it from our strapped attention span until the file needs opened again...or just spin it into hollow affirmations generic bias and cheap self esteem naturally fawns all over as the substitute for real hope springing eternal.

We also have a significant number who are unprepared for much else after high school.

The funding problem does represent our convoluted thinking on education. The education dollars follow political patronage, and attempts to instill rational funding basis meet resistance, from both sides of the aisle.
          In the 80e I remember reading that vin the coming computer age, we will become masters and professional at accessing the bottomless pool of information at our fingertips...and as it was always handy, we'd lose any need or reason to retain it...creating the appearance of brilliance while actually dumbing us down... I also recall hearing that this New Atlantis America once having served it's purpose, would be resigned to World Police, and breadbasket...neither role requiring a heady education or ability to think beyond following orders blindly, and digging in the dirt...

It felt prophetic at the time...a grasp at pride today.

XQ Super School Live Tom on the bus[640x384, 03:01]

Comment

Working...
          X