Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Banning Religion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Banning Religion

So, I am on the school newspaper for my high school and one of the staff writers wrote an article on the importance of religion in America. It was a very well thought out article and I enjoyed it very much. Unfortunately some of the students did not, they said that religion has no place in schools. I posted the following about my experiences with religious discrimination in junior high.
    When my teachers found out I was a Christian their attitudes towards me changed. If I ever tried to talk about God with my friends, my teachers would come up and change the subject. My friends wanted to know about God My beliefs and the answers to they questions they had. Once I tried to set up a bible study club kind of thing in my school, my principle told me I had to find a teacher who would let us use their class. Why couldn’t we have it on the lawn, away from the crowds? Anyway, I couldn’t find a teacher who was willing to let us use their room, so that was shut down. Whenever I prayed over my lunch in the cafeteria I would be asked to stop by the lunch ladies or teachers passing by. None of the students found it offensive, I wasn’t talking out loud, just to myself and it only took me 1 minute max to pray during lunch, I tried not to make a scene. Other Christian AND Mormon kids in my school received this unfair treatment as well. But they let the atheists talk about why God isn’t real, they let the few who were Muslim pray to their God. They asked for equality in the school for all races, religions, and genders, but then they don’t tolerate Christians and their belief in God. I hope that they don’t make it worse by banning religion in schools. I hear people use the phrase “separation of Church and state” for their case against religion in schools. Seriously? Separation of Church and state was used to keep the state out of the church! NOT the other way around. ~Victoria

What are your thoughts? How can I show the love of Jesus and be a disciple if people ban it from schools?

Originally posted by Victoria_S View Post
    What are your thoughts? How can I show the love of Jesus and be a disciple if people ban it from schools?
    The QUICK answer is to BE the "Love of Jesus" to people, and God can use your LIFE to minister to them. The school government can (and does) limit your "Free speech", but they can't ban you from BEING Good, Righteous, Kind, Helpful, Understanding, or showing the Joy of your salvation.

There was a Camping program run by Agnes Sanford, where she'd get folks Saved, and filled with the holy SPirit, and the LAST THING she'd tell 'em as they left, was: DON'T TELL ANYBODY what happened here - UNTIL they ask you why you're "Different" now.

Christianity isn't "theology", it's Love, Joy and Peace in the Holy Spirit.

Paranthetic: Here in Texas, A large percentage of New Church start-ups are in Public Schools on Sundays. It varies State by State how "paranoid" Schools, and government facilities are about Christianity. I remember Ohio being VERY paranoid about it.
    Last edited by Bob Carabbio; 11-29-17, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Carabbio View Post

The QUICK answer is to BE the "Love of Jesus" to people, and God can use your LIFE to minister to them. The school government can (and does) limit your "Free speech", but they can't ban you from BEING Good, Righteous, Kind, Helpful, Understanding, or showing the Joy of your salvation.

There was a Camping program run by Agnes Sanford, where she'd get folks Saved, and filled with the holy SPirit, and the LAST THING she'd tell 'em as they left, was: DON'T TELL ANYBODY what happened here - UNTIL they ask you why you're "Different" now.

Christianity isn't "theology", it's Love, Joy and Peace in the Holy Spirit.
      n>1) Harold Camping? No wonder you are so full of error. HC is one of the most notorious liars in recent history. Or you've got to BE joking.
      2) Your stuff is silly, given that you are a Calvinist. Calvinists teach Unconditional Election. So, some of the school kids are Elect no matter what Victoria does or does not do. What Victoria is, is be either Reprobate or Elect. There is nothing anyone can do about that, not even God Himself, if Calvinist Election is correct, which, biblically, Calvinism is error.
      3) "Love, Joy and Peace in the Holy Spirit." is some of the easiest stuff to fake. Cults strive on that stuff. So, you are wrong again.
      Mouser Larry Roy: "yippee ki yay"
      “... see the loonies in their cages… are they not witty… how much amusement they afford… ours is a human world, theirs is a bestial world… " Bedlam

Comment

Originally posted by noemail001 View Post

n>1) Harold Camping? No wonder you are so full of error. HC is one of the most notorious liars in recent history. Or you've got to BE joking.
        2) Your stuff is silly, given that you are a Calvinist. Calvinists teach Unconditional Election. So, some of the school kids are Elect no matter what Victoria does or does not do. What Victoria is, is be either Reprobate or Elect. There is nothing anyone can do about that, not even God Himself, if Calvinist Election is correct, which, biblically, Calvinism is error.
        3) "Love, Joy and Peace in the Holy Spirit." is some of the easiest stuff to fake. Cults strive on that stuff. So, you are wrong again.
        Nope "Harold Camping" is recent, Sanford's "Camp Farthest Out" Program (in the Episcopalian Church) was 70 years ago in the Late '40s, early '50s.

And I'm not a Calvie, I'm a free-range Non-Denominational Charismatic Eclectic. The Calvies, however, DO have some things right. Most of "Tulip" is error, though.

"Love, Joy, and Peace" are only easy to fake when things are going fine. When you can do it under pressure, or in persecution, then the real stuff will shine forth.

Comment

So, I am on the school newspaper for my high school and one of the staff writers wrote an article on the importance of religion in America. It was a very well thought out article and I enjoyed it very much. Unfortunately some of the students did not, they said that religion has no place in schools. I posted the following about my experiences with religious discrimination in junior high.
          When my teachers found out I was a Christian their attitudes towards me changed. If I ever tried to talk about God with my friends, my teachers would come up and change the subject. My friends wanted to know about God My beliefs and the answers to they questions they had. Once I tried to set up a bible study club kind of thing in my school, my principle told me I had to find a teacher who would let us use their class. Why couldn’t we have it on the lawn, away from the crowds? Anyway, I couldn’t find a teacher who was willing to let us use their room, so that was shut down. Whenever I prayed over my lunch in the cafeteria I would be asked to stop by the lunch ladies or teachers passing by. None of the students found it offensive, I wasn’t talking out loud, just to myself and it only took me 1 minute max to pray during lunch, I tried not to make a scene. Other Christian AND Mormon kids in my school received this unfair treatment as well. But they let the atheists talk about why God isn’t real, they let the few who were Muslim pray to their God. They asked for equality in the school for all races, religions, and genders, but then they don’t tolerate Christians and their belief in God. I hope that they don’t make it worse by banning religion in schools. I hear people use the phrase “separation of Church and state” for their case against religion in schools. Seriously? Separation of Church and state was used to keep the state out of the church! NOT the other way around. ~Victoria

You should go to your local American Civil Liberties Union chapter, and ask for their help.

IF your assertion that teachers and lunch ladies were directly telling you that you couldn't quietly say a private Grace before your meal is accurate, IF your assertion that Muslim students are permitted to pray but you are not is accurate, THEN you have, indeed, suffered religious discrimination. Here are some examples of the ACLU successfully defending those rights.

What schools cannot do is demand that students go along with mandatory, administratively sponsored prayers. Ask your parents if they would be OK with a school day opening with a call, in Arabic, to pray an Islamic prayer. Ask your parents if they would be OK with your Friday Night Football games starting with Buddhist invocations?

(To be honest, I find this story a tad ... suspect. Here in Indiana, it's just the opposite. Catholic, Jewish, Muslim, and Mormon kids are bombarded with fundamentalist Protestant prayers, invocations, and in-school programs.)

fusilier

James 2:24
          Reality rules, Honor the truth - in memory of Chemist.

fusilier

Comment

Honestly you should get some recording as evidence and then report the school to the Board of Education. If that doesn't work then you should find an attorney. While religious practice shouldn't be a mandatory part of public education it should be a freedom for those who do it privately during class or in groups outside of class.
            If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him. - Voltaire

Comment

Thanks for the tips you guys! I appreciate it! I think I am going to try to do something about it, God willing.

Comment

Thanks for the tips you guys! I appreciate it! I think I am going to try to do something about it, God willing.
                Be sure and let us know how things turn out.

fusilier

fusilier

Comment

An a propos news article, here.

fusilier

fusilier

Comment

Being a loving friend and good neighbor has never been banned from any school. What Does the Bible Say About Showing Your Faith To Others?

- Do for others as you would want them to do for you: this is the foundation of the Law of Moses and of the teachings of the prophets. -

Comment

You have a perfect right to pray wherever you are. You are also to obey God, not men. Don't pray to be seen praying, but to commune with, acknowledge, praise and thank God.

And if these school powers-that-be tell you that separation of church and state gives them a right to prevent you from exercising your constitutional right to freedom of religious expression, contact the Alliance Defense people.
                      "For the eyes of the LORD move to and fro throughout the earth that He may strongly support those whose heart is completely His...." 2 Chronicles 16:9 NASB

Comment

Originally posted by christdependent View Post
                        You have a perfect right to pray wherever you are. You are also to obey God, not men. Don't pray to be seen praying, but to commune with, acknowledge, praise and thank God.And if these school powers-that-be tell you that separation of church and state gives them a right to prevent you from exercising your constitutional right to freedom of religious expression, contact the Alliance Defense people.
                        ...respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise
                        thereof...
                        - Do for others as you would want them to do for you: this is the foundation of the Law of Moses and of the teachings of the prophets. -

Comment

Do the Muslim kids pray in a designated area?
                          Why won't they let you do the same? Either anyone should be allowed to pray or no-one.

Comment

Originally posted by christdependent View Post

You have a perfect right to pray wherever you are. You are also to obey God, not men. Don't pray to be seen praying, but to commune with, acknowledge, praise and thank God.

And if these school powers-that-be tell you that separation of church and state gives them a right to prevent you from exercising your constitutional right to freedom of religious expression, contact the Alliance Defense people.
                            Does that mean there is no point in physically praying since your god already knows your thoughts anyway?
                            ... always look on the bright side of life - Idle Cleese

Comment

Same way you try on forum.

Also, (I reckon your young still) , the books "Total Woman" and "Total Joy" by Marabel something (available at book stores, ebay and amazon , all , I think) ,

Shows from Scripture HOW TO , without a word, not just survive, but BE JOYOUS (as JESUS GIVES OVERFLOWING JOY! ) obeying Jesus , in line with His Word always.

The strength of our (all who are born again , Ekklesia (called by Yahweh(G-d)) , The strength of our JOY is OUR UNION WITH MESSIAH, (YES! today!) , Daily, walking in union with Him as He is in union with our Father in Heaven - walking AS ONE, One with Jesus and the Father, as They are ONE (echad) ... JOHN 17 , et al ) )

Comment

Working...
                              X