Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Atheists and Agnostics are gaining.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keith C
    started a topic Atheists and Agnostics are gaining.

Atheists and Agnostics are gaining.

This survey may not have been very scientific, but they certainly are encouraging.
    Among the general population in the U.S., 52 percent of millennials identify as Protestant or Catholic, according to Pew, compared to 34.1 percent of Harvardís incoming class. And 13 percent of millennial Americans identify as atheist or agnostic, compared with 37.9 percent of Harvard freshmen who said they were atheist or agnostic.
    There-are-more-atheists-and-agnostics-entering-harvard-than-protestants-and-catholics

• LastServant
    replied
    Originally posted by Keith C View Post
    This survey may not have been very scientific, but they certainly are encouraging.

There-are-more-atheists-and-agnostics-entering-harvard-than-protestants-and-catholics
    After God kills everybody on the day of the Lord, there won't be any atheist, scientist or religious people around to compare with each other. I can't wait until that glorious day.

Leave a comment:

• Jerry947
    replied

Yes, I would agree that it is good for atheists to go to a school established by the religious.

Leave a comment:

• aussiedave
    replied
    Originally posted by Nouveau View Post

This board is titled "school" Boasting about atheism in terms of College freshman is a trolling approach. Science has shown atheism is not a genuine construct. in other words, atheist fake their unbelief in God. pretense 201
    Theists have the quaintest beliefs. Their little make believe world allows for fairies, angels, demons, gods and theistic atheists.

Leave a comment:

• Nouveau
    replied

This board is titled "school" Boasting about atheism in terms of College freshman is a trolling approach. Science has shown atheism is not a genuine construct. in other words, atheist fake their unbelief in God. pretense 201

Leave a comment:

• dneh
    replied
    Originally posted by Nouveau View Post
    atheist canadiana takes credit for a lot, eh?
    Where on earth did you get the idea I was crediting "canadiana" (where ever that is) for every advance humans have made. Try harder Nouveau.

Leave a comment:

• Nouveau
    replied
    Originally posted by dneh View Post
    Yet our innovations and advances in every field of human endeavor (not just science and technology) is unprecedented in human history. How do you explain that?
    atheist canadiana takes credit for a lot, eh?

Leave a comment:

• dneh
    replied
    Originally posted by archaeologist55 View Post
    Except for democrats and their liberal thinking. I think both parties and groups are responsible for the lack of intelligence and education in the western school systems (and I am not limiting this to just America).
    Yet our innovations and advances in every field of human endeavor (not just science and technology) is unprecedented in human history. How do you explain that?

Leave a comment:

• dneh
    replied
    Originally posted by MikeWC View Post
    Thousands of years. Really. Care to rephrase that?
    LOL. Apparently not. What a ridiculous assertion.

Leave a comment:

• archaeologist55
    replied
    Originally posted by nmanning View Post
    Sort of like how Trump is getting the mouth-breathing right wing Christians to support him by spewing his pseudo-macho racist nonsense?

NOBODY dumbs down students like conservative religionists.
    Except for democrats and their liberal thinking. I think both parties and groups are responsible for the lack of intelligence and education in the western school systems (and I am not limiting this to just America).

Leave a comment:

• nmanning
    replied
    Actually I do know what I am talking about, I just did not go into specifics. The most successful education program of the last 30 years has been dumbing down of the western student and if you read the book Hitler Furies, you will see that was one of Hitler's strategies used to control the German people and get them to support his totalitarian ways.
    Sort of like how Trump is getting the mouth-breathing right wing Christians to support him by spewing his pseudo-macho racist nonsense?

NOBODY dumbs down students like conservative religionists.
    Last edited by nmanning; 12-11-15, 01:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

• archaeologist55
    replied
    Originally posted by MikeWC View Post

I think you don't know what you're talking about. Or do you equate "inferior" with "disagrees with me"?

How are you gauging inferiority? What field are you an expert in?
    Actually I do know what I am talking about, I just did not go into specifics. The most successful education program of the last 30 years has been dumbing down of the western student and if you read the book Hitler Furies, you will see that was one of Hitler's strategies used to control the German people and get them to support his totalitarian ways.

Leave a comment:

• MikeWC
    replied
    Unbelievers have had control of the education system in America and other countries for thousands of years and their only successful educational program has been to dumb down the students in their charge.

The secular aspect of the western world, and to some extent many Christian educators, has failed the students of their nation and produced a very inferior product.
    I think you don't know what you're talking about. Or do you equate "inferior" with "disagrees with me"?

How are you gauging inferiority? What field are you an expert in?
    Last edited by MikeWC; 11-30-15, 11:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

• archaeologist55
    replied
    Unbelievers have had control of the education system in America and other countries for thousands of years and their only successful educational program has been to dumb down the students in their charge.

If the unbeliever wants his children to be properly educated then they need to turn control of education back over to true Christians who know how to educate and run schools. (And Bob Jones does not fit in that category). There is a book out there called Hitler's Furies and it details the women of Nazi Germany and within its pages, the author records that the way Hitler was able to control his people, for the most part, was that he got rid of good educators and dumbed the curriculum way down.

The secular aspect of the western world, and to some extent many Christian educators, has failed the students of their nation and produced a very inferior product. These people let too many idiotic ideologies, they need a childhood and similar battle cries, interfere with real education and by real education I do not mean evolutionary based but truth based.

What the secular world wants, its goals, desires etc., are found in the very system and faith they so thoroughly reject-- God, His Bible, Jesus and his instructions.

Leave a comment:

• Keith C
    replied
    Originally posted by Gary Lee View Post
    Of course, it was not secularism that produced Harvard, but Christianity. I didn't expect you to respond with.......Wow, thanks for showing me that, but I did think you could accept actual credible history. I stuck to the original post, I didn't try off topic provocation, or intent to provoke or disrupt. If you saw it that way, I apologize.
    Not knowing all the rules, is it improper for a christian to post in the Atheists and Agnostics forum.
    What is a genuine poster? (a non christian)? Did you read/understand/believe any of the Harvard history I posted?

Kieth says....""Much more than blindly quoting biblical verses""..... Are there any other books beside the bible that are not tolerated in this search for truth?
    Nothing improper about a christian posting to the secular forum, particularly if you keep comments civil. Only activity really banned is non-christians (or agnostics like me) posting on the religious side. CARM powers-that-be think Christians are too sensitive to be exposed to the real world.
    I understood what you posted on Harvard, but assumed (without checking sources of quotes) was that they were all from recent histories from christian/evangelical sources. I think the best historical sources are composed near the date of the actual events, that is why I think my sours on the actual daily routines of students is relevant.

As to Harvard being founded with a christian background, in 1630 there was little alternative. That does not mean that everyone shared the same beliefs, but it was politic to conceal unorthodox views.
    For instance Isaac Newton had unconventional views on the Trinity, but he did not advertise that fact.

The bible is certainly tolerated here, but I, and some other posters think it needs to be supported by other evidence.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X