Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

What is the purpose of school?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What is the purpose of school?

    We drop our children off at school and they are taught skills in such things as how to figure numbers, read words, speak convincingly , write persuasively, run to win the race, how to be smarter than the next guy to hopefully earn the most money by getting the best jobs for themselves. They also learn bad behaviors from all the homes that the other children in their class bring with them, that they have learned in their house.

    But who is worrying about their character? The very thing that gets them through life as an honorable human being, trusted, and accepted where ever they go?
    Who is teaching them to be polite to all people, trustworthy, honest to all they come in contact with in life, kind to both man and beast, caring that all have enough to eat, self sacrificing for others good, integrity in their dealings in business, family, spouse,neighbor, town, country, nation, government, schools.

    Man's ways of just learning to be something no matter who's toes you have to step on ends up destroyed for the consequences of their actions of self survival(dog eat dog)nature.

    But God our Creator knows what is really important for a good life, and that is a soul who is valuable for their good character whom you can trust in all areas. Rather it be around your spouse, in your business, to carry out assignments, around your children, in your neighborhood, in your government, in your courthouses, on your peace force, etc....

    We have kicked God and His Word with His morals and boundaries out of our homes and schools, doing our children discredit, for now without godly guidance in the home and in the school, they more than likely, will grow up to be unrighteous in their lives and when they rule over others in their lifetime. And will also hand these degenerated teachings Down to their children, bringing our world into a low life existence.
    Look around, that is what has happened.
    Last edited by afaithfulone4u; 02-10-16, 12:03 PM.
    The purpose of my posts are not to cause bicker or division, but to show truth from the scripture for edifying of the soul. It does not matter what we think, it is what God's Word says that matters.

  • #2
    Yep, every single day should begin with this over the PA system.

    What's that you say, you meant something else? OK, then how about this?

    Maybe we can sing Ya Shema.

    No?

    I admit that the full Litany of the Saints is a bit long for every day, but maybe on Fridays?
    Reality rules, Honor the truth - in memory of Chemist.

    fusilier
    James 2:24

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by afaithfulone4u View Post
      We drop our children off at school and they are taught skills in such things as how to figure numbers, read words, speak convincingly , write persuasively, run to win the race, how to be smarter than the next guy to hopefully earn the most money by getting the best jobs for themselves. They also learn bad behaviors from all the homes that the other children in their class bring with them, that they have learned in their house.

      But who is worrying about their character? The very thing that gets them through life as an honorable human being, trusted, and accepted where ever they go?
      Who is teaching them to be polite to all people, trustworthy, honest to all they come in contact with in life, kind to both man and beast, caring that all have enough to eat, self sacrificing for others good, integrity in their dealings in business, family, spouse,neighbor, town, country, nation, government, schools.

      Man's ways of just learning to be something no matter who's toes you have to step on ends up destroyed for the consequences of their actions of self survival(dog eat dog)nature.

      But God our Creator knows what is really important for a good life, and that is a soul who is valuable for their good character whom you can trust in all areas. Rather it be around your spouse, in your business, to carry out assignments, around your children, in your neighborhood, in your government, in your courthouses, on your peace force, etc....

      We have kicked God and His Word with His morals and boundaries out of our homes and schools, doing our children discredit, for now without godly guidance in the home and in the school, they more than likely, will grow up to be unrighteous in their lives and when they rule over others in their lifetime. And will also hand these degenerated teachings Down to their children, bringing our world into a low life existence.
      Look around, that is what has happened.
      However, a balanced approach was provided a long time ago.

      " Get wisdom, get understanding; do not forget my words or turn away from them. Do not forsake wisdom, and she will protect you; love her, and she will watch over you. The beginning of wisdom is this: Get wisdom. Though it cost all you have, get understanding. Cherish her, and she will exalt you; embrace her, and she will honor you. She will give you a garland to grace your head and present you with a glorious crown. " ( Proverbs 4:5-9 )

      When a teacher tells their students that sinful behavior is fine, a wise student understands where this comes from, and knows how to respond appropriately. When a teacher provides the tools in order to succeed in society, it's wise to learn well and practice them for the future.

      Here is where family, church, and school mold christian students in preparation to interact with the world. It enables them to respond well, especially in bad situations. Followers of Jesus are not taught to isolate themselves, they are taught to go out into the world. Obtaining understanding, even if it cost all you have is a part of the process.

      Inertia
      Last edited by inertia; 02-11-16, 01:11 PM.
      "The exact sciences also start from the assumption that in the end it will always be possible to understand nature, even in every new field of experience, but that we make no a priori assumptions about the meaning of the word "understand"."

      Heisenberg
      .....................

      " It is the glory of God to conceal a matter, and it is the glory of a king to search out a matter. " ( Proverbs 25:2 )

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by inertia View Post
        However, a balanced approach was provided a long time ago.

        " Get wisdom, get understanding; do not forget my words or turn away from them. Do not forsake wisdom, and she will protect you; love her, and she will watch over you. The beginning of wisdom is this: Get wisdom. Though it cost all you have, get understanding. Cherish her, and she will exalt you; embrace her, and she will honor you. She will give you a garland to grace your head and present you with a glorious crown. " ( Proverbs 4:5-9 )

        When a teacher tells their students that sinful behavior is fine, a wise student understands where this comes from, and knows how to respond appropriately. When a teacher provides the tools in order to succeed in society, it's wise to learn well and practice them for the future.

        Here is where family, church, and school mold christian students in preparation to interact with the world. It enables them to respond well, especially in bad situations. Followers of Jesus are not taught to isolate themselves, they are taught to go out into the world. Obtaining understanding, even if it cost all you have is a part of the process.

        Inertia
        Yes, godly Wisdom is the Pearl. Sell everything you have to gain wisdom, because man made possessions do not compare with possessing wisdom. It is the greatest thing you can do for yourself and for your child or children.

        That is why followers are called the light to the lost, to light the way, showing them how to find their way out of the hellish life in the darkness where their walk is very scary.

        Eph 5:6 Let no man deceive you with vain words: for because of these things cometh the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience.

        7 Be not ye therefore partakers with them.

        8 For ye were sometimes darkness, but now are ye light in the Lord: walk as children of light:
        KJV
        Last edited by afaithfulone4u; 02-15-16, 10:22 PM.
        The purpose of my posts are not to cause bicker or division, but to show truth from the scripture for edifying of the soul. It does not matter what we think, it is what God's Word says that matters.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by afaithfulone4u View Post
          We drop our children off at school and they are taught skills in such things as how to figure numbers, read words, speak convincingly , write persuasively, run to win the race, how to be smarter than the next guy to hopefully earn the most money by getting the best jobs for themselves. They also learn bad behaviors from all the homes that the other children in their class bring with them, that they have learned in their house.

          But who is worrying about their character? The very thing that gets them through life as an honorable human being, trusted, and accepted where ever they go?
          Who is teaching them to be polite to all people, trustworthy, honest to all they come in contact with in life, kind to both man and beast, caring that all have enough to eat, self sacrificing for others good, integrity in their dealings in business, family, spouse,neighbor, town, country, nation, government, schools.

          Man's ways of just learning to be something no matter who's toes you have to step on ends up destroyed for the consequences of their actions of self survival(dog eat dog)nature.

          But God our Creator knows what is really important for a good life, and that is a soul who is valuable for their good character whom you can trust in all areas. Rather it be around your spouse, in your business, to carry out assignments, around your children, in your neighborhood, in your government, in your courthouses, on your peace force, etc....

          We have kicked God and His Word with His morals and boundaries out of our homes and schools, doing our children discredit, for now without godly guidance in the home and in the school, they more than likely, will grow up to be unrighteous in their lives and when they rule over others in their lifetime. And will also hand these degenerated teachings Down to their children, bringing our world into a low life existence.
          Look around, that is what has happened.
          Your god isn't the only one with a moral code, and once you let one in, you have to let in all the others. I have my doubts that you'd appreciate your children being taught to follow Sharia Law or the Noble Eightfold Path, etc. Its better, if you want you children to be taught a Christian moral code, that you teach it to them yourself.

          When I was in school we had programs dedicated to building character, with themes like diligence, honesty, courtesy, stuff like that; no religion required. I also think that one of the greatest benefits of public school is that it forces children to interact with all different sorts of peers. Kids need to learn how to think critically, which should be the purpose of schools and education; there isn't a guideline for ever situation in life, so its good that they get to work out how to get along with each other on their own, and in their own way, but in a relatively supervised environment. I've always thought home schooling left children at a distinct disadvantage, because it deprives them of an important aspect of social education that a school is in a unique position to provide.
          “My soul is a dark forest. My known self will never be more than a little clearing in the forest. Gods, strange gods, come forth from the forest into the clearing, and then go back, and I must have the courage to let them come and go.”
          --DH Lawrence

          Comment


          • #6
            The purpose of school should be to equip people to find jobs and be successful at them.
            Elbe Swim Team 2013!

            Comment


            • #7
              The purpose of school is a socialisation thing. They learn how to continue the society they have inherited, as they inherited it. This is not, perhaps, the best way to equip people to find future jobs; who know what skills will be required 20 years from now? But it does tend to reassure the aged that the values they value, and grew up to respect, will be applied to them when they get older, and incapacitated by their years, and dependent on the new generation.

              Cheers, 2RM.
              Last edited by 2ndRateMind; 04-07-16, 11:56 AM.
              Omnes qui errant non pereunt
              Not all who wander are lost

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by afaithfulone4u View Post
                We drop our children off at school and they are taught skills...
                But who is worrying about their character?...
                But God our Creator knows what is really important for a good life, and that is a soul who is valuable for their good character whom you can trust in all areas...
                We have kicked God and His Word with His morals and boundaries out of our homes and schools...
                If you can't justify your morality to an enquiring youth, who always want to know 'But why?' without invoking some great inscrutable god, then maybe, just maybe, this isn't a morality that deserves to be passed on, anyway.

                Cheers, 2RM.
                Last edited by 2ndRateMind; 04-07-16, 11:34 AM.
                Omnes qui errant non pereunt
                Not all who wander are lost

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Moonlit View Post
                  ...When I was in school we had programs dedicated to building character, with themes like diligence, honesty, courtesy, stuff like that; no religion required...
                  And so should it be. Virtue does not require religion. Virtue justifies itself. Believer or unbeliever, the question of faith is an irrelevance in schools; the children are perfectly entitled to any, or none, just as adults are. The central issue is the idea of virtue, what it is, how to recognise and reward it, and how it is 'A Good Thing', in and of itself, and how to develop it and so live 'A Good Life', even in a cynical world where corruption often seems to generate the most immediate material gains.

                  Cheers, 2RM.
                  Last edited by 2ndRateMind; 04-07-16, 11:45 AM.
                  Omnes qui errant non pereunt
                  Not all who wander are lost

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    The original purpose of school was to teach the sons of noblemen how to be usefull administrators for their king.
                    You learned greek, latin, engineering, math, rhetoric, and classical greco/roman lterature. You also learned philosophy.
                    When you graduated you were able to lay siege to a castle, or build a stone bridge, or plan a battle, or play a lute, or read Cicero in the original latin.

                    Later it became about producing better citizens.

                    Now its about producing mindless consumers who know how to obey.
                    When evil is powerful, good men are silenced.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by D Laurier View Post
                      The original purpose of school was to teach the sons of noblemen how to be usefull administrators for their king.
                      You learned greek, latin, engineering, math, rhetoric, and classical greco/roman lterature. You also learned philosophy.
                      When you graduated you were able to lay siege to a castle, or build a stone bridge, or plan a battle, or play a lute, or read Cicero in the original latin.

                      Later it became about producing better citizens.

                      Now its about producing mindless consumers who know how to obey.
                      I have never seen such a diploma.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Nouveau View Post
                        I have never seen such a diploma.
                        You've never seen a diploma because it appears you never went to school.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by TeabagSalad View Post
                          You've never seen a diploma because it appears you never went to school.
                          Except the poster never said that he'd never seen a diploma... Why misquote him?
                          ********
                          cassie
                          ********
                          Fundies say the darndest things - simplicio

                          Every saint has a past, every sinner has a future.

                          Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that.” - Martin Luther King Jr.

                          for today, for this moment... it is well with my soul.

                          as long as there is life, there is hope.

                          what unites us is stronger than what divides us...

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Moonlit View Post
                            Your god isn't the only one with a moral code, and once you let one in, you have to let in all the others. I have my doubts that you'd appreciate your children being taught to follow Sharia Law or the Noble Eightfold Path, etc. Its better, if you want you children to be taught a Christian moral code, that you teach it to them yourself.

                            When I was in school we had programs dedicated to building character, with themes like diligence, honesty, courtesy, stuff like that; no religion required. I also think that one of the greatest benefits of public school is that it forces children to interact with all different sorts of peers. Kids need to learn how to think critically, which should be the purpose of schools and education; there isn't a guideline for ever situation in life, so its good that they get to work out how to get along with each other on their own, and in their own way, but in a relatively supervised environment. I've always thought home schooling left children at a distinct disadvantage, because it deprives them of an important aspect of social education that a school is in a unique position to provide.
                            Hmmm... The social education my ASD kiddos were provided was not positive...

                            I so often see/hear detractors of homeschooling tout the social aspects of schools as opposed to home education... Their retractions don't resonate with what I've seen and experienced...as both a mom, and someone intimately involved with public education.

                            No schooling system works for all...it is incumbent on parents to make the best educational choices possible for their children...each child individually.
                            ********
                            cassie
                            ********
                            Fundies say the darndest things - simplicio

                            Every saint has a past, every sinner has a future.

                            Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that.” - Martin Luther King Jr.

                            for today, for this moment... it is well with my soul.

                            as long as there is life, there is hope.

                            what unites us is stronger than what divides us...

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by inertia View Post
                              However, a balanced approach was provided a long time ago.

                              " Get wisdom, get understanding; do not forget my words or turn away from them. Do not forsake wisdom, and she will protect you; love her, and she will watch over you. The beginning of wisdom is this: Get wisdom. Though it cost all you have, get understanding. Cherish her, and she will exalt you; embrace her, and she will honor you. She will give you a garland to grace your head and present you with a glorious crown. " ( Proverbs 4:5-9 )

                              When a teacher tells their students that sinful behavior is fine, a wise student understands where this comes from, and knows how to respond appropriately. When a teacher provides the tools in order to succeed in society, it's wise to learn well and practice them for the future.

                              Here is where family, church, and school mold christian students in preparation to interact with the world. It enables them to respond well, especially in bad situations. Followers of Jesus are not taught to isolate themselves, they are taught to go out into the world. Obtaining understanding, even if it cost all you have is a part of the process.

                              Inertia
                              Agreed and thank you.

                              I'm a public school teacher and my children did/do go to public schools. Still, I'm a big homeschooling advocate. What I do NOT like about the homeschooling movement is the judge judge judging I see in it. Boy, some of these folks are the Church Ladies of schooling--boy, are they. I have bent over backwards in all the venues of my life to make clear that homeschooling is a viable, and even good option for most families. But the venom directed toward the public schools is just uncanny.

                              Sure, you bet there are horrible public schools, horrible teachers, and horrible situations out there. But to hear these homeschoolers talk sometimes--yikes. This is not necessary among a Body of Believers. I too think the homeschooling community it too insular in this way and much too judgey. My two cents.
                              One thing have I asked of the LORD... that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to inquire in his temple.--Psalm 27:4

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X