Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

Edited to add more information for posters:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Why is the HuffPost so concerned about Dr. Who being a woman?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is the HuffPost so concerned about Dr. Who being a woman?

For a couple of days now the Huffington Post has been writing articles about "Sexist" being upset at Dr. Who character being a woman for the first time.

Today they published an article taking on all you sexists with Webster's Dictionary.

And I didn't know Dr. Who was still airing. But anyway. is it just me or do liberals find sexists everywhere the way they find racists under their pillows?

Originally posted by Hemi View Post
    For a couple of days now the Huffington Post has been writing articles about "Sexist" being upset at Dr. Who character being a woman for the first time.
    Why do you care?
    Anyone who actually believes in the existence of sin will avoid lying about others and misrepresenting them.

Comment

Originally posted by America View Post
      Why do you care?
      But Who will she have as her offsider and will that be another pretty girl or will it be a pretty boy, and will she be eccentric enough like the previous ones and ugly enough, or will she be the last?
      Last edited by juglans1; 07-17-17, 06:05 PM.
      ... always look on the bright side of life - Idle Cleese

Comment

Today they published an article taking on all you sexists with Webster's Dictionary.

And I didn't know Dr. Who was still airing. But anyway. is it just me or do liberals find sexists everywhere the way they find racists under their pillows?
        Not just HuffPost, I have seen articles everywhere. It is akin to launching "Jane Bond 007".

I think it's a mistake because they are messing with a formula that has worked for 50+ years. I haven't cared for all of the actors who played the role (nor have I seen them all) but the chemistry of Dr. Who and some earthling female companion saving the universe is the premise. Are they going to reverse the gender roles? Or is the new Dr. going to be a ... umm... a politically-correct AC/AC?

Comment

You actually pay attention to the "Huffington Post"??? Why???

Comment

Put yer hair out, son. So Huffpo posted an opinion piece about a bunch of morons pissing their undies over the next Doctor being a woman. Boo hoo to you.

-
            -
            -

It's quite nice to see a woman in the role - I'd been pulling for Natalie Dormer or Hayley Atwell for the role myself, but Jodie Whittaker is a superb actress herself and I look forward to seeing her take on the role. That said, sad to see Peter Capaldi go - I'd hoped he would stay on for another year.
            A Forum Trump Follower:

"Maybe the Jews invented the Nazi's. Some have suggested that. It's not so farfetched."

"Didn't the Mossad have something to do with 911?"

Donald John Trump:
            "I don't stand by anything"

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

Not just HuffPost, I have seen articles everywhere. It is akin to launching "Jane Bond 007".
              *shrug* not sure that would be a bad thing
              I think it's a mistake because they are messing with a formula that has worked for 50+ years.
              I disagree. It will be refreshing and interesting to see what they've got in store here, especially with Moffat leaving as well.

I haven't cared for all of the actors who played the role (nor have I seen them all) but the chemistry of Dr. Who and some earthling female companion saving the universe is the premise.
              Chemistry between two characters or actors is not particularly limited to male/female. Female and female, etc.. And there have been numerous male companions throughout the series as well, with a male Doctor.
              Are they going to reverse the gender roles? Or is the new Dr. going to be a ... umm... a politically-correct AC/AC?
              Air Conditioning Alternating Current???
              A Forum Trump Follower:

"Maybe the Jews invented the Nazi's. Some have suggested that. It's not so farfetched."

Donald John Trump:

Comment

Originally posted by GondwanaLand View Post
                It's quite nice to see a woman in the role - I'd been pulling for Natalie Dormer or Hayley Atwell for the role myself, but Jodie Whittaker is a superb actress herself and I look forward to seeing her take on the role. That said, sad to see Peter Capaldi go - I'd hoped he would stay on for another year.
                My daughter and I really enjoyed David Tennant. He had a half-comic personality that fits the role well. I started watching the show when I was a kid on PBS, with Jon Pertwee. So I liked him for nostalgia sake. I also enjoyed Tom Baker. Most of the others that I have seen I wasn't crazy about, but I've probably missed four or five of them.

ETA (you already answered some of my comments)

I believe a politically-correct Doctor will damage the series and lose a good deal of audience.

Comment

I think it's a mistake because they are messing with a formula that has worked for 50+ years. I haven't cared for all of the actors who played the role (nor have I seen them all) but the chemistry of Dr. Who and some earthling female companion saving the universe is the premise. Are they going to reverse the gender roles? Or is the new Dr. going to be a ... umm... a politically-correct AC/AC?
                  Just figured it was the politically correct thing to do...perhaps incorporating gender-fluid into the mix...
                  cassie
                  Perhaps you forget that you're talking to someone you don't actually know personally ...-- Derrick

Calling a dog a cat does not make it a cat. -- DasBrille

The trumpanzees don't care. -- America

Get a grip. -- Zaphod

In fact, we think the lot of you are nuts. -- Kastewart

Comment

My daughter and I really enjoyed David Tennant. He had a half-comic personality that fits the role well. I started watching the show when I was a kid on PBS, with Jon Pertwee. So I liked him for nostalgia sake. I also enjoyed Tom Baker. Most of the others that I have seen I wasn't crazy about, but I've probably missed four or five of them.
                    I enjoyed Tennant as well. Actually my favorite was Chris Eccleston (who kicked off the newer series as the Ninth Doctor) - I was very sad to see him go after just one season, I felt there was a lot of potential and enjoyed his take on the Doctor.

ETA (you already answered some of my comments)

I believe a politically-correct Doctor will damage the series and lose a good deal of audience.
                    I don't see how this is a "politically-correct Doctor", other than in a "it's got wemmin, it's that Durned PEEEE CEEEEE" way.

I'm still wondering what AC/AC means.
                    A Forum Trump Follower:

Donald John Trump:

Comment

I enjoyed Tennant as well. Actually my favorite was Chris Eccleston (who kicked off the newer series as the Ninth Doctor) - I was very sad to see him go after just one season, I felt there was a lot of potential and enjoyed his take on the Doctor.
                      Looking at Google images, I don't recall seeing his episodes.

I don't see how this is a "politically-correct Doctor", other than in a "it's got wemmin, it's that Durned PEEEE CEEEEE" way.

I'm still wondering what AC/AC means.
                      It was my off-the-cuff insinuation that the new Doctor might be a lesbian. "AC/DC" used to mean bi-sexual. There's probably a new term these days.

Comment

Originally posted by cas07 View Post

Just figured it was the politically correct thing to do...perhaps incorporating gender-fluid into the mix...
                        The problem with political correctness is that while it may appeal to the artist/Hollywood/PC crowd, it alienates the majority. If I can't relate to a character then I lose interest.

Comment

Looking at Google images, I don't recall seeing his episodes.
                          Alas he was only the Doctor wor 13 episodes. But yeah, he was the Doctor who came before David Tennant.

It was my off-the-cuff insinuation that the new Doctor might be a lesbian. "AC/DC" used to mean bi-sexual. There's probably a new term these days.
                          Ah. I see. Well, IIRC the Doctor/Master relationship has long been insinuated within the show to have been a bit more than friendship/enemyship (i.e. gay/bisexual subtext wrt the two men) in the past (brought to a head and pretty much explicitly said in the last year or so with Missy, who is the female regeneration of the Master). So I don't think that would be like an enormous leap or anything were that to happen. *shrug*
                          A Forum Trump Follower:

Donald John Trump:

Comment

The problem with political correctness is that while it may appeal to the artist/Hollywood/PC crowd, it alienates the majority. If I can't relate to a character then I lose interest.
                            Well, if one can relate to an alien Time Lord with two hearts and a time-travelling TARDIS, I'd hope one could find some way to still relate to a female alien Time Lord with two hearts and a time-traveling TARDIS. Like, if out of that it's the "female" part that one cannot relate to, I'd suggest the problem is likely with the person trying to relate, not the character.
                            A Forum Trump Follower:

Donald John Trump:

Comment

Ah. I see. Well, IIRC the Doctor/Master relationship has long been insinuated within the show to have been a bit more than friendship/enemyship (i.e. gay/bisexual subtext wrt the two men) in the past (brought to a head and pretty much explicitly said in the last year or so with Missy, who is the female regeneration of the Master). So I don't think that would be like an enormous leap or anything were that to happen. *shrug*
                              On a similar note, I read an obituary on Martin Landau this weekend and was a bit surprised. I assume you've seen the film North By Northwest? If so, Landau said he "subtly" played a homosexual (a killer) in that film. It never occurred to me before but I can see it now that he said that.

Comment

Working...
                              X