Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Blatant politicization of advertising

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blatant politicization of advertising

I understand that advertisers employ many psychological methods in order to persuade people that they cannot be happy without those specific services and products, but it's quite evident that another message is constantly riding along many of these ads, to promote cultural "change." One of the big ones for quite some time is that the little woman is smart and superhumanly capable, while the man in her life is a complete, helpless idiot.

At this moment, I'm thinking of car gurus, featuring a young man standing in complete befuddlement before an elaborate pair of bulletin boards that show the incomplete results of his search for a used car. The superwoman in his life, a strapping woman clad in her workout duds, strolls into the room and gasps at the sight. Then, with utter disdain she says, "maybe I can help", whips out her handy-dandy cell phone, curtly asks "color?" and punches in "silver", then extends the phone for him to see while she quotes the low miles, price and 5-star dealer rating.

Then, to show how much she loves the guy, she snips "Whew! I'm beat!", with customary eye-roll, turns on her heel and marches out of the room. He mutters, "Let's do it your way, then," and she snaps back, "I heard that!" just like a power-mad mommy would do.

What a disgusting message. I would make it a point to avoid car gurus if I were looking for a used car, because of that male-bashing ad. There is nothing about this woman that I admire in the slightest, yet I'm rather sure this hatred sells much stuff to bitter women nowadays.

Compare this to Subaru's loving family advertising campaign and the difference between darkness and light is glaring!

Which do you support?
    "For the eyes of the LORD move to and fro throughout the earth that He may strongly support those whose heart is completely His...." 2 Chronicles 16:9 NASB

Need a safe space snowflake?

Seriously, you’re upset because an advertiser portrayed one person as dumb and another as smart? The oldest advertising technique in the book?

Or are you just mad because the woman was the smart one? Would you be so insufferably offended were the roles reversed? Or were there two women or two guys? Or one guy and a muppet inexplicably wearing underwear?

Geesh you people are fragile.
    To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by christdependent View Post
      I understand that advertisers employ many psychological methods in order to persuade people that they cannot be happy without those specific services and products, but it's quite evident that another message is constantly riding along many of these ads, to promote cultural "change." One of the big ones for quite some time is that the little woman is smart and superhumanly capable, while the man in her life is a complete, helpless idiot.

At this moment, I'm thinking of car gurus, featuring a young man standing in complete befuddlement before an elaborate pair of bulletin boards that show the incomplete results of his search for a used car. The superwoman in his life, a strapping woman clad in her workout duds, strolls into the room and gasps at the sight. Then, with utter disdain she says, "maybe I can help", whips out her handy-dandy cell phone, curtly asks "color?" and punches in "silver", then extends the phone for him to see while she quotes the low miles, price and 5-star dealer rating.

Then, to show how much she loves the guy, she snips "Whew! I'm beat!", with customary eye-roll, turns on her heel and marches out of the room. He mutters, "Let's do it your way, then," and she snaps back, "I heard that!" just like a power-mad mommy would do.

What a disgusting message. I would make it a point to avoid car gurus if I were looking for a used car, because of that male-bashing ad. There is nothing about this woman that I admire in the slightest, yet I'm rather sure this hatred sells much stuff to bitter women nowadays.

Compare this to Subaru's loving family advertising campaign and the difference between darkness and light is glaring!

Which do you support?
      http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...tingTheHusband

A modern, less "offensive" variation of the Henpecked Husband, where in a married couple, the husband is quite a child-like, slobbish jerk, and the wife is like a parent to him except that she can quite easily provide him sex. Sometimes, the wife may talk about feeling like she really does have one more child than the number of children they have, and guess who the extra is? Ironically, her job of child care may be made easier by the husband being able to connect to their children more effectively.

Sometimes, though, the husband is perfectly angelic or a hard worker, or a mixture of the two, and the wife is simply motherly with no shallow motives, with him being most of all a Bumbling Dad with a penchant for causing wacky hijinks that she must resolve, this being part of a Closer to Earth setup.

A rather awful Double Standard; the notion of a girlish wife in need of control and protection by a fatherly husband rarely appears today and is largely perceived as overtly sexist (and similarly, the Henpecked Husband scenario is considered nowadays to be a big Take That! against the sole idea of a woman pulling the weight on the family— see the description above) but this one persists. There are Unfortunate Implications on both sides— men are told that they're useless and incompetent, at least in the realm of family life, and should really just let their wives take charge; women are told that they can't expect their husbands to act like grownups and should just resign themselves to having to carry their husband's weight responsibility-wise and being regarded as the boring killjoy of the family for it.

Not to be confused with Wife Husbandry, which is when an adult raises a child with the intent of eventually marrying them.
      “I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.”
      -Mahatma Gandhi quotes (Indian Philosopher, internationally esteemed for his doctrine of nonviolent protest, 1869-1948)

It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.
      -Sherlock Holmes in A study in Scarlet

Comment

Originally posted by Master Fwiffo View Post
        Need a safe space snowflake?

Seriously, you’re upset because an advertiser portrayed one person as dumb and another as smart? The oldest advertising technique in the book?

Or are you just mad because the woman was the smart one? Would you be so insufferably offended were the roles reversed? Or were there two women or two guys? Or one guy and a muppet inexplicably wearing underwear?

Geesh you people are fragile.
        So I take it you vote for the power-mad, perpetually dominating mommy image. Why am I not surprised?

Lockstep "progressive" reflex syndrome strikes again.
        "For the eyes of the LORD move to and fro throughout the earth that He may strongly support those whose heart is completely His...." 2 Chronicles 16:9 NASB

Comment

Wow....Robert, that's spot on!

Comment

So I take it you vote for the power-mad, perpetually dominating mommy image. Why am I not surprised?

Lockstep "progressive" reflex syndrome strikes again.
            I don’t vote for either. I however, do vote against the perpetually offended crybabies no matter which side of the aisle they’re on.

If the genders on your post were switched, it would read exactly like the tantruming screed of a feminist.
            To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.
            - Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Wow....Robert, that's spot on!
              And I’m sure you were just as offended at I Love Lucy? Lord only knows how you handled “The Honeymooners.”
              - Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Which do you support?
                My wife and I had 2 Subarus. Our Daughter and son-in-law just got a new one. The snowflake generation falls for car buying apps like their dating apps.

Comment

I think I must be the angelic, hard worker type.
                  “An atheist has to know a lot more than I know. An atheist is someone who knows there is no God.”
                  Carl Sagan

God is love.

Comment

Working...
                  X