Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Christian hypocrisy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christian hypocrisy

I do think there is a lot of it. But st the same time skeptics are going to see hypocrisy where itís not there.

Weighing the positives and negatives, and determining a negative (like adultery) for your candidate is bad, but the other candidate is still much worse isnít hyocrisy. Itís common evaluation and weighing that we all do.

if someone claims adultery is a deal breaker, and then gives his guy a pass, then sure itís hyocrisy and it does happen a lot. But still, millions of people are are getting called hypocrites Thst are simply fairly weighing things.

And most everyone is biased, and sees the exact same negative in a different light depending on if they like the person. Itís human nature.

I think a a lot of people are labeling hyocrisy what is actually common bias, which is not as severe. Though you could argue semantics on that.

[QUOTE=Simpletruther;n5638745]I do think there is a lot of it. But st the same time skeptics are going to see hypocrisy where it’s not there.

Choosing and supporting the "lesser" of evils is STILL supporting & promoting evil

rw christians battle cry of "character counts" with Clinton, then promoting & supporting Trump IS an shining example of HYPOCRISY

Comment

Originally posted by Simpletruther View Post
      if someone claims adultery is a deal breaker, and then gives his guy a pass, then sure it’s hyocrisy and it does happen a lot. But still, millions of people are are getting called hypocrites Thst are simply fairly weighing things.
      So, hypocrisy happens a lot, but millions are getting unfairly labeled as hypocrites.

Let's assume you're right: so what? If fairness is something people deserve, but which is not granted to them, what the heck can you do about it?

EDIT: the problem is that we think we're being fair, but when we perceive that our fairness isn't reciprocated, this justifies us being unfair - while leaving our sense that we're fair to others intact. In short, if fairness is deserved but not reciprocated, it isn't deserved.
      Last edited by America; 10-11-18, 12:57 PM.
      Herpes originated in Oneness fertility rituals.

~ Ken Ham

Comment

I do think there is a lot of it. But st the same time skeptics are going to see hypocrisy where it’s not there.

Weighing the positives and negatives, and determining a negative (like adultery) for your candidate is bad, but the other candidate is still much worse isn’t hyocrisy. It’s common evaluation and weighing that we all do.

if someone claims adultery is a deal breaker, and then gives his guy a pass, then sure it’s hyocrisy and it does happen a lot. But still, millions of people are are getting called hypocrites Thst are simply fairly weighing things.

And most everyone is biased, and sees the exact same negative in a different light depending on if they like the person. It’s human nature.

I think a a lot of people are labeling hyocrisy what is actually common bias, which is not as severe. Though you could argue semantics on that.
        I don't really know what point this post is trying to make.

Charges of hypocrisy are good as attacks against the maker of an argument, but they are not attacks on the argument itself.

For example, a doctor who smokes whilst telling his/her patients to give up is clearly a hypocrite. One might reasonably question the judgement of said doctor. Indeed, we might question that judgement far more so than if he/she was not a medical professional, given that a doctor should be in a better position to determine the dangers of smoking.

However, the mere observation that the doctor is a hypocrite does not automatically make the argument that smoking is bad for you false. That requires other supporting information in addition to a mere charge of hypocrisy.

No idea if that addresses what you wrote, I just thought I'd write it anyway

Comment

The fact that infidelity, for example, is a fact of biology must, for any thinking person, modify an 'absolute' condemnation of it. Lawrence Krauss. What are we to expect big brained apes to do?

The same could be said for slavery. It is a fact certain persons considered inferior for either biological or environmental reasons including lack of education. They could be congenital defective due to intellectual disability.

Since humans are a natural product like every other creature means they are nothing special and the anthropocentric view humans have special status deserves the same consideration as geo-centrism. It is obsolete.
          Last edited by lightbeamrider; 10-11-18, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lightbeamrider View Post
            The fact that infidelity, for example, is a fact of biology must, for any thinking person, modify an 'absolute' condemnation of it. Lawrence Krauss. What are we to expect big brained apes to do?

The same could be said for slavery. It is a fact certain persons considered inferior for either biological or environmental reasons including lack of education. They could be congenital defective due to intellectual disability.

Since humans are a natural product like every other creature means they are nothing special and the anthropocentric view humans have special status deserves the same consideration as geo-centrism. It is obsolete.
            The idea that humans are special is unsupportable from an objective point of view. But humans don't generally have an objective point of view. Of course we think we're special.

Comment

I do think there is a lot of it. But st the same time skeptics are going to see hypocrisy where it’s not there.

Weighing the positives and negatives, and determining a negative (like adultery) for your candidate is bad, but the other candidate is still much worse isn’t hyocrisy. It’s common evaluation and weighing that we all do.

And most everyone is biased, and sees the exact same negative in a different light depending on if they like the person. It’s human nature.

There is a difference between truly acknowledging an action a person committed as being wrong but continuing to support them.....

AND....

Having the reflex to water-down what actually happened that the person you support did, avoid acknowledging it, or minimizing it.

To me it is the latter and not the former that seems more hypocritical. Also if a person used an argument that the action in question was sufficient NOT to support another opposing candidate, that seems hypocritical.

Yes, many liberals not holding Kimmel accountable for at the very least a real apology are hypocritical.

Same with Christians who bring up David in the bible as some sort of excuse to support Trump's unsavory actipns when they know they wouldnt accept the same justification for a liberal politician who did the same.

"Fear is the path to the dark side: fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering."
              -Yoda

Comment

[QUOTE=Jeeper;n5638794]

Choosing and supporting the "lesser" of evils is STILL supporting & promoting evil

rw christians battle cry of "character counts" with Clinton, then promoting & supporting Trump IS an shining example of HYPOCRISY
                Clinton did what he did while in the White House. Trump's affairs happened more than a decade before he even ran for the office. Christians are big on forgiveness.
                "For the eyes of the LORD move to and fro throughout the earth that He may strongly support those whose heart is completely His...." 2 Chronicles 16:9 NASB

Comment

[QUOTE=Jeeper;n5638794]

Not really. We only had two to choose from. So voting the lesser of two evils is the only choice we had. The bloated pants suit was not a option. I did my civic duty and voted for the best option.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeeper View Post

Tolerance of wrongdoing is almost always linked to whether the in-group's man/woman is in the hot seat. It's not about ideals (religious or otherwise), it's about naked political power.

IME authoritarians (social conservatives being the most prominent group) are far more likely to forgive those on "their side" who ascend to positions of power. The left tends to indulge far more in fratricide and purity tests, to the point that sometimes left wingers dislike other left wingers more than their opponents on the right (a fact that has been mocked in many satirical comedies including "Life of Brian").

Comment

Originally posted by ah_mini View Post

Tolerance of wrongdoing is almost always linked to whether the in-group's man/woman is in the hot seat. It's not about ideals (religious or otherwise), it's about naked political power.

IME authoritarians (social conservatives being the most prominent group) are far more likely to forgive those on "their side" who ascend to positions of power. The left tends to indulge far more in fratricide and purity tests, to the point that sometimes left wingers dislike other left wingers more than their opponents on the right (a fact that has been mocked in many satirical comedies including "Life of Brian").
                      I believe it was in Sam Harris's The Moral Landscape where he explained traits common to liberals and conservatives (according to one or more studies he'd referenced). Conservatives tend to value loyalty more than liberals do, for example.
                      Herpes originated in Oneness fertility rituals.

~ Ken Ham

Comment

Originally posted by ah_mini View Post

HAAAA HAAAAAA HAAAAA
                        SOOOOOO WRONG! Now-a-days
                        Clinton(s) is/are a proof
                        The right used to be less forgiving of their leaders, till Trump came on the scene

Comment

[QUOTE=reformedguy;n5638898]

Not really. We only had two to choose from. So voting the lesser of two evils is the only choice we had. The bloated pants suit was not a option. I did my civic duty and voted for the best option.
                          NOT true
                          You choose, defend & support EVIL

Comment

Originally posted by christdependent View Post

Clinton did what he did while in the White House. Trump's affairs happened more than a decade before he even ran for the office.
                            Whatever it takes to justify hypocrisy in a twisted mindset

Originally posted by christdependent View Post
                            Christians are big on forgiveness.
                            Only of their own ilk or if it suits them

Comment

Whatever it takes to justify hypocrisy in a twisted mindset

Only of their own ilk or if it suits them
                              Actually, the only political rally I ever attended in my life was in protest of the impeachment of President Clinton. So I'm pretty sure my consistency regarding forgiveness is intact. Yours, however, is a classic case of apples and oranges, as President Trump has no such activities going on since he became the people's choice for president.

You are the one judging and condemning, based upon consensual activities which Democrats have rabidly promoted since the 60's.
                              "For the eyes of the LORD move to and fro throughout the earth that He may strongly support those whose heart is completely His...." 2 Chronicles 16:9 NASB

Comment

Working...
                              X