Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Merry Christmas!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merry Christmas!

Elementary school bans Santa, candy canes, reindeer, Elf on the Shelf, 'red/green items' to be 'inclusive and culturally sensitive'

6-7 minutes

Manchester Elementary School Principal Jennifer Sinclair just landed on Santa’s naughty list, which means she probably won’t get any presents from the big man this year.

The Nebraska educator apparently tripped on a “big rock” and fell on her face, all the while attempting to rob her students of the joyous Christmas season.
    It’s like a bad Hallmark movie come to life, happy ending and all.

“It seems that I have stumbled upon a ‘big rock’ that I hadn’t anticipated,” Sinclair wrote to her legion of teachers in her “week ahead” newsletter for Dec. 3-7.

“I know that you are all very kind and conscientious people. I know all of the things that you’d like to do, have done, want to do are coming from such a good place. I come from a place that Christmas and the like are not allowed in schools as over the years in my educational career, this has evolved into the expectation for all educators,” she wrote.

Bah humbug.

Apparently, some teachers like Christmas, and want to share it with their students.

“I have unknowingly awoken a ‘sleeping giant’ with many of you. I apologize for the stress that ‘Christmas/holiday/Grinch/Santa/tree’ emails and conversations have caused you,” Sinclair wrote. “I will do my best to communicate the expectation from here on out, which aligns with my interpretation of our expectations as a public school who seeks to be inclusive and culturally sensitive to all our students.”

“I feel uncomfortable that I have to get this specific, but for everyone’s comfort I will,” she wrote.

The principal included two very detailed lists, of “acceptable practices” and “not acceptable” practices during the Christmas season. The directive banned Santa and Christmas trees, Elf on the Shelf and Christmas songs.

Other “not acceptable” items listed included:

Making a Christmas ornament as a gift – This assumes that the family has a Christmas tree which assumes they celebrate Christmas. I challenge the thought of, “Well they can just hang it somewhere else.”

Candy Cane – that’s Christmas-related. Historically, the shape is a “J” for Jesus. The red is for the blood of Christ, and the white is a symbol of his resurrection. This would also include different colored candy canes.

Red/Green items – traditional Christmas colors
    Reindeer
    Instead, teachers should focus on snow, different holidays, winter activities, and imaginary creatures.
    “Acceptable” practices listed included:
    Snowmen, snow women, snow people, snowflakes
    Gingerbread people
    Holidays Around the World – purposeful presentation of information to teach about different cultures
    Sledding
    Hot chocolate
    Polar Bears
    Penguins
    Scarves, boots, earmuffs, and hats
    Yetis
    Olaf – Frozen

“Please reflect on what you’ve already copied, prepped, and posted. I’m hopeful we can avoid the discomfort of me directly questioning something you’ve copied, posted, and had your kids do,” Sinclair wrote to teachers. “That makes me uncomfortable, and I know it doesn’t feel good.”

She signed the pretentious edict as “The (Unintentional) Grinch who stole Christmas (from Manchester).”

“I feel like it was very deliberate and intentional about eliminating just Christmas and putting an attack on what Christmas is and what it stands for,” parent Jenni Myers told WOWT.

“If a school’s going to be able to eliminate everything about Christmas, it may not stop there,” Myers said. “If a principal is going to make such a drastic policy as that, I would think that it would be good for the parents to be aware of a policy that was being made of completely taking Christmas out of a school.”

The situation didn’t sit well with a lot of folks, including the attorneys at the Liberty Counsel, a religious liberty law firm. Liberty Counsel’s Richard Mast sent a letter to Elkhorn Public Schools Superintendent Bary Habrock – as well as Sinclair, school board members, and the district’s attorney – explaining the numerous reasons why the principal’s “expectation for all educators” doesn’t jibe with the law or district policy.

“Liberty Counsel urges you to immediately overrule and specifically disavow the sweeping directive banning Christmas holiday items, and require Principal Sinclair to undertake a review of District policy and the law,” Mast wrote.

“In the spirit of Christmas, Liberty Counsel does not desire the removal of Principal Sinclair; only her compliance with the law; respect for the rights of others; and respect for cherished holiday traditions,” he wrote. “As she herself indicates, ‘she comes from a place’ where misinformation and hostility toward Christmas runs rampant, and that has shaped her professional development.”

A few days later, the district’s attorney, Justin Knight, sent a letter replying to Mast.

“Please be advised that, after receiving your letter, the Administration investigated this matter and determined that Principal Sinclair’s memorandum did not comply with Board Policy,” he wrote. “To this end, the Administration has advised Manchester Elementary School staff members of the applicable Board Policy (that does allow certain Christmas symbols) and will work with staff to correct any erroneous communications and clarify any misunderstandings.”

Mat Staver, founder and chairman of the Liberty Counsel, believes Sinclair owes her school an apology.

“We are pleased that Elkhorn Public Schools promptly reversed Principal Sinclair’s unconstitutional directive, and required compliance with the Constitution,” he said.

“The First Amendment does not require elimination of Christmas. … The First Amendment prohibits censorship based on religious viewpoint,” Staver said. “This outrageous three-page memo by Principal Sinclair was not based on ignorance of the law but hatred toward Christianity and Christmas.

“Principal Sinclair should issue an apology to her teachers and staff.”

http://eagnews.org/elementary-school...lly-sensitive/

Test all things; hold fast that which is good. --1 Thessalonians 5:21

Who would've ever thought that reindeer, elves, and the colors red and green would be declared to be socially unacceptable because they represent Christianity!!!

The madness never ends with these powermongering, "educated" fools.
    "For the eyes of the LORD move to and fro throughout the earth that He may strongly support those whose heart is completely His...." 2 Chronicles 16:9 NASB

Comment

Originally posted by Thistle View Post
      ...Manchester Elementary School Principal Jennifer Sinclair just ...
      n>WGBS = World Going Bonkers (some prefer bananas** here) Syndrome.

**Which has caused a furor amongst the ABB (Anti-Banana Bunch), and for good reason! "Bonkers" seems less annoying and foggier, it seems.
      Mouser Larry Roy: "yippee ki yay"
      “... see the loonies in their cages… are they not witty… how much amusement they afford… ours is a human world, theirs is a bestial world… " Bedlam

Comment

Originally posted by christdependent View Post
        Who would've ever thought that reindeer, elves, and the colors red and green would be declared to be socially unacceptable because they represent Christianity!!!

She gives every indication of having been educated into total imbecility.

Comment

Originally posted by christdependent View Post
          n>I sure hope you don't get a call from PETA or the LPA**. They can get nasty against regular peoplekind.

**Little People of America (LPA)
          “... see the loonies in their cages… are they not witty… how much amusement they afford… ours is a human world, theirs is a bestial world… " Bedlam

Comment

... total imbecility.
            n>Another protected class. Careful.

Comment

Originally posted by noemail001 View Post

n>WGBS = World Going Bonkers (some prefer bananas** here) Syndrome.

**Which has caused a furor amongst the ABB (Anti-Banana Bunch), and for good reason! "Bonkers" seems less annoying and foggier, it seems.
              It makes you wonder how she determined that Scarves, boots, earmuffs, and hats were okay?

Comment

Originally posted by noemail001 View Post

n>Another protected class. Careful.
                I'm not sure that applies if you pay tuition to become an imbecile.

Comment

Elementary school bans Santa, candy canes, reindeer, Elf on the Shelf, 'red/green items' to be 'inclusive and culturally sensitive'

6-7 minutes

Manchester Elementary School Principal Jennifer Sinclair just landed on Santa’s naughty list, which means she probably won’t get any presents from the big man this year.

The Nebraska educator apparently tripped on a “big rock” and fell on her face, all the while attempting to rob her students of the joyous Christmas season.

“It seems that I have stumbled upon a ‘big rock’ that I hadn’t anticipated,” Sinclair wrote to her legion of teachers in her “week ahead” newsletter for Dec. 3-7.

“I know that you are all very kind and conscientious people. I know all of the things that you’d like to do, have done, want to do are coming from such a good place. I come from a place that Christmas and the like are not allowed in schools as over the years in my educational career, this has evolved into the expectation for all educators,” she wrote.

Bah humbug.

Apparently, some teachers like Christmas, and want to share it with their students.

“I have unknowingly awoken a ‘sleeping giant’ with many of you. I apologize for the stress that ‘Christmas/holiday/Grinch/Santa/tree’ emails and conversations have caused you,” Sinclair wrote. “I will do my best to communicate the expectation from here on out, which aligns with my interpretation of our expectations as a public school who seeks to be inclusive and culturally sensitive to all our students.”

“I feel uncomfortable that I have to get this specific, but for everyone’s comfort I will,” she wrote.

The principal included two very detailed lists, of “acceptable practices” and “not acceptable” practices during the Christmas season. The directive banned Santa and Christmas trees, Elf on the Shelf and Christmas songs.

Making a Christmas ornament as a gift – This assumes that the family has a Christmas tree which assumes they celebrate Christmas. I challenge the thought of, “Well they can just hang it somewhere else.”

Candy Cane – that’s Christmas-related. Historically, the shape is a “J” for Jesus. The red is for the blood of Christ, and the white is a symbol of his resurrection. This would also include different colored candy canes.

Reindeer
                  Instead, teachers should focus on snow, different holidays, winter activities, and imaginary creatures.
                  Gingerbread people
                  Holidays Around the World – purposeful presentation of information to teach about different cultures
                  Sledding
                  Hot chocolate
                  Polar Bears
                  Penguins
                  Yetis
                  Olaf – Frozen

“Please reflect on what you’ve already copied, prepped, and posted. I’m hopeful we can avoid the discomfort of me directly questioning something you’ve copied, posted, and had your kids do,” Sinclair wrote to teachers. “That makes me uncomfortable, and I know it doesn’t feel good.”

She signed the pretentious edict as “The (Unintentional) Grinch who stole Christmas (from Manchester).”

“I feel like it was very deliberate and intentional about eliminating just Christmas and putting an attack on what Christmas is and what it stands for,” parent Jenni Myers told WOWT.

“If a school’s going to be able to eliminate everything about Christmas, it may not stop there,” Myers said. “If a principal is going to make such a drastic policy as that, I would think that it would be good for the parents to be aware of a policy that was being made of completely taking Christmas out of a school.”

The situation didn’t sit well with a lot of folks, including the attorneys at the Liberty Counsel, a religious liberty law firm. Liberty Counsel’s Richard Mast sent a letter to Elkhorn Public Schools Superintendent Bary Habrock – as well as Sinclair, school board members, and the district’s attorney – explaining the numerous reasons why the principal’s “expectation for all educators” doesn’t jibe with the law or district policy.

“Liberty Counsel urges you to immediately overrule and specifically disavow the sweeping directive banning Christmas holiday items, and require Principal Sinclair to undertake a review of District policy and the law,” Mast wrote.

“In the spirit of Christmas, Liberty Counsel does not desire the removal of Principal Sinclair; only her compliance with the law; respect for the rights of others; and respect for cherished holiday traditions,” he wrote. “As she herself indicates, ‘she comes from a place’ where misinformation and hostility toward Christmas runs rampant, and that has shaped her professional development.”

A few days later, the district’s attorney, Justin Knight, sent a letter replying to Mast.

“Please be advised that, after receiving your letter, the Administration investigated this matter and determined that Principal Sinclair’s memorandum did not comply with Board Policy,” he wrote. “To this end, the Administration has advised Manchester Elementary School staff members of the applicable Board Policy (that does allow certain Christmas symbols) and will work with staff to correct any erroneous communications and clarify any misunderstandings.”

Mat Staver, founder and chairman of the Liberty Counsel, believes Sinclair owes her school an apology.

“We are pleased that Elkhorn Public Schools promptly reversed Principal Sinclair’s unconstitutional directive, and required compliance with the Constitution,” he said.

“The First Amendment does not require elimination of Christmas. … The First Amendment prohibits censorship based on religious viewpoint,” Staver said. “This outrageous three-page memo by Principal Sinclair was not based on ignorance of the law but hatred toward Christianity and Christmas.

Lol, the traditions stolen by christians from paganism are now being bashed for being too christian. Around and around we go!
                  I want to hear it from your lips;
                  What's it worth shining for?

Rishloo - Scissorlips

Comment

Originally posted by Bluemayskye View Post

Lol, the traditions stolen by christians from paganism are now being bashed for being too christian. Around and around we go!
                    Good point. If memory serves, they wanted to kill Gideon for chopping down the Asherah Tree [Judges 6:25].

Comment

6-7 minutes

Bah humbug.

Reindeer
                      Gingerbread people
                      Sledding
                      Hot chocolate
                      Polar Bears
                      Penguins
                      Yetis
                      Olaf – Frozen

The elf on the shelf thing is a bit creepy, and probably should be banned. Everything else is utterly crazy. When I read Manchester, I was horrified for the moment that a British school principal was that daft. Luckily, it's only America, where such lunacy can be expected.
                      Your belief in Julius Caesar proves the existence of God.
                      CARM poster

Comment

Originally posted by Tolpuddlematyr View Post

The elf on the shelf thing is a bit creepy, and probably should be banned.
                        Reminds me of the pet rock craze.

Everything else is utterly crazy. When I read Manchester, I was horrified for the moment that a British school principal was that daft. Luckily, it's only America, where such lunacy can be expected.
                        Presumptuous, self-aggrandizing, nitwittery has apparently become a central feature in the new crop of "educators" our universities are churning out now-a-days. Clearly, this can't be organic. A person has to be educated into this level of imbecility.

Comment

Good point. If memory serves, they wanted to kill Gideon for chopping down the Asherah Tree [Judges 6:25].
                          Funny how many view violent histories as sports events with teams to root for rather than complex situations with horrible murderous actions from both "teams."

Babylon fumbles the tree and Israel picks it up on the 666 yard line. If Israel scores here, their superior fan base will entitle their team to eternal life. Down, set, and WOAH WHAT A MOVE! Israel splits into a thousand churches! There's no telling who is in possession of the true meaning of Christmas now!
                          I want to hear it from your lips;
                          What's it worth shining for?

Rishloo - Scissorlips

Comment

Reminds me of the pet rock craze.

Presumptuous, self-aggrandizing, nitwittery has apparently become a central feature in the new crop of "educators" our universities are churning out now-a-days. Clearly, this can't be organic. A person has to be educated into this level of imbecility.
                            It is contrary to any idea of teaching that I have come across. Children learn by doing things they enjoy. The trick of teaching is getting children to enjoy what they need to do. Christmas is brilliant for all sorts of covert learning, including comparisons with other faith traditions and history.

What have penguins got to do with a northern hemisphere winter festival?
                            Your belief in Julius Caesar proves the existence of God.
                            CARM poster

Comment

[h=1]..<snip>...

...<snip>...
                              Acceptable practices? (clearing my throat )

Traditional Christmas celebration in the United States with all of its accompaniments is recognized worldwide. I know people that like Christmas decoration so much, they have an area in their home for Christmas year-round. Christmas shops are even open year-round in small-town tourist traps across the United States and people from nearly every culture visit them.

- I also know people that are offended if you say "Merry Christmas" to them.

If the correct response is to enforce a hypersensitive environment for every individual nuance and cultural norm in public schools, the greetings "happy holiday", "Merry Christmas", or " Happy Hanukkah ", for example, no longer reminds one of a happy occasion and effectively squelches what is intended to be a great time.

Merry Christmas! Feliz Navidad!

Jesus is the reason for the season.
                              Last edited by inertia; 12-07-18, 01:08 PM.
                              "The exact sciences also start from the assumption that in the end it will always be possible to understand nature, even in every new field of experience, but that we make no a priori assumptions about the meaning of the word "understand"."

Heisenberg

" It is the glory of God to conceal a matter, and it is the glory of a king to search out a matter. " ( Proverbs 25:2 )

Comment

Working...
                              X