Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Senator Rand Paul prefers Canadian healthcare

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Senator Rand Paul prefers Canadian healthcare

In the "strange but true" category, Republican Senator Rand Paul will be visiting Canada to have hernia surgery. This is especially interesting, since Rand is an outspoken critic of socialized medicine. In the past, he has compared socialized medicine to slavery. And, no, that comparison doesn't make any sense to me, either.

I guess Senator Paul has seen the light, and wants to become a slave. Go figure.

https://www.courier-journal.com/stor...da/2568200002/

"Make America Rake Again"

Originally posted by reepicheep View Post
    In the "strange but true" category, Republican Senator Rand Paul will be visiting Canada to have hernia surgery. This is especially interesting, since Rand is an outspoken critic of socialized medicine. In the past, he has compared socialized medicine to slavery. And, no, that comparison doesn't make any sense to me, either.

I guess Senator Paul has seen the light, and wants to become a slave. Go figure.

You're just not mentioning that it also happens to be a private hospital that accepts cash payments for private care and is renouned for just-so being the best on earth at the particular surgery Paul requires? That's interesting.

Also, your title is straight up fake news: Paul doesn't prefer Canadian healthcare: he just happens to want the best care for his particular hernia. In general (the proper way to talk about healthcare services on the governmental level) Paul doesn't like the US or Canadian systems as they are. And yes, comparing it to slavery makes perfect sense if you believe that humans have a right to charge whatever they feel like for the use of their time, but realize the government in Canada makes that impossible since they cap doctor salaries.
    Some people are educated beyond their intellect.

Comment

I wonder if he had to prove to a Canadian death panel that his life had value to the international communist conspiracy before he got approved for treatment?

Comment

Originally posted by MartialApologist View Post
        You're just not mentioning that it also happens to be a private hospital that accepts cash payments for private care and is renouned for just-so being the best on earth at the particular surgery Paul requires? That's interesting.
        Lots of Canada's hospitals are private hospitals that are the best in the world at what they do. Why would you think otherwise???

I'd say, since Canadians can receive service at these world class hospitals for free, that the Canadian healthcare system must be pretty good. Agreed?

Comment

Originally posted by Aagcobb View Post

I wonder if he had to prove to a Canadian death panel that his life had value to the international communist conspiracy before he got approved for treatment?
          Yes, that is one of the standard admittance forms at Canadian hospitals.

I wonder if he will be asking for political asylum while he is here.

Comment

Lots of Canada's hospitals are private hospitals that are the best in the world at what they do. Why would you think otherwise???

I'd say, since Canadians can receive service at these world class hospitals for free, that the Canadian healthcare system must be pretty good. Agreed?
            You left out the Canadianers have a cruel and painful long waiting period.

Comment

Hypocrisy is a god-given right for the right-wing in America.

Who are we to question Him, er, them?

ps. sorry, couldn't resist the theology quip. Paul is a fruitloop, and has been for a while; it doesn't surprise me in the least that he'd say one thing and then proceed to contradict himself. It might be that right-wing conservatives in the US have been stricken with some weird mass-cognitive-dissonance thing...
              The people whining about Democrats looking to the government to solve problems are the same ones who want the government to define marriage, criminalize abortion, slow/stop legal immigration, save farmers, create jobs, etc.

Comment

If by lots, you mean a few, sure. The US and Europe both have multiple hospitals that are the greatest at any particular thing. They can't all be the best by definition. Either way, the argument isn't that a socialized system can't sometimes provide the best of some particular kind of care, but that it is not the best system long-term for the general population.

Now, first of all, you know that there is no such thing as the Canadian system, right? Each province is different. And no, I don't agree that it's all that good. It's pretty nice for general practitioner visits (so long as you have exactly 0 time for detailed chat about anything because your doctor essentially needs to get through a different patient every few minutes and rushes through). It's decent for critical emergency care as you don't have to worry about a bill after. For pretty much everything else it's mediocre at best. The provinces that allow for private hospitals can at least turn down cases they don't want to see so that they can focus on quality care for their specialty and usually get people in on a reasonable time-frame, but others are so swamped that unless you're on the verge of death already they aren't likely to see you again for at least a few months.

Comment

Originally posted by America View Post
                  Hypocrisy is a god-given right for the right-wing in America.

Who are we to question Him, er, them?

ps. sorry, couldn't resist the theology quip. Paul is a fruitloop, and has been for a while; it doesn't surprise me in the least that he'd say one thing and then proceed to contradict himself. It might be that right-wing conservatives in the US have been stricken with some weird mass-cognitive-dissonance thing...
                  You realize he isn't being a hypocrite, right? Like, not at all in any fashion.

Comment

If by lots, you mean a few, sure. The US and Europe both have multiple hospitals that are the greatest at any particular thing. They can't all be the best by definition. Either way, the argument isn't that a socialized system can't sometimes provide the best of some particular kind of care, but that it is not the best system long-term for the general population.

Now, first of all, you know that there is no such thing as the Canadian system, right? Each province is different. And no, I don't agree that it's all that good. It's pretty nice for general practitioner visits (so long as you have exactly 0 time for detailed chat about anything because your doctor essentially needs to get through a different patient every few minutes and rushes through). It's decent for critical emergency care as you don't have to worry about a bill after. For pretty much everything else it's mediocre at best. The provinces that allow for private hospitals can at least turn down cases they don't want to see so that they can focus on quality care for their specialty and usually get people in on a reasonable time-frame, but others are so swamped that unless you're on the verge of death already they aren't likely to see you again for at least a few months.
                    And yet for some reason Canada and all the other rich countries in the world don't want to reform their healthcare systems to enjoy the benefits of having to declare bankruptcy if they are hospitalized and can't afford health insurance. Another thing to keep in mind is that the US already spends a lot more per capita on healthcare than any other country, and we will still be doing so if we adopt Medicare for all, except a lot less of that money will go to administrative overhead.

Comment

Trinidad, Colorado came to be known as the "sex-change capital of the United States."How many hundred Canadians traveled to Trinidad? Lutherans

Comment

Originally posted by Aagcobb View Post
                        the US already spends a lot more per capita on healthcare than any other country
                        Not only that, the average life expectancy in Canada is approximately 3 years longer than in the US. Plus, Canadian life expectancy is increasing, while US life expectancy has dropped for three consecutive years.

Comment

Originally posted by Nouveau View Post
                          Trinidad, Colorado came to be known as the "sex-change capital of the United States."How many hundred Canadians traveled to Trinidad? Lutherans
                          . They head to Colorado for the skiing, but get so sloshed on liquid spirits, that they end up in the hospital. By the time they sober up they've paid the bill and have gone home. Then they realize they were given a sex change operation.

Pretty good business model.

Comment

You realize he isn't being a hypocrite, right? Like, not at all in any fashion.
                            As Rand is one of socialized medicine's biggest critics - no. I haven't realized what you're asking.
                            Last edited by America; 01-14-19, 09:55 PM.
                            The people whining about Democrats looking to the government to solve problems are the same ones who want the government to define marriage, criminalize abortion, slow/stop legal immigration, save farmers, create jobs, etc.

Comment

I think it would be funny if he was stopped and turned back at the border.... or as Trump would say "boarder"
                              "Kids & Adults love Fairy Tale Ark exhibit" - Ken Ham

Comment

Working...
                              X