Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Reuters Reporter Kept Beto Bombshell Secret During Midterms

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reuters Reporter Kept Beto Bombshell Secret During Midterms

So Mr. Betomania was part of a hacktivist group called the Cult of the Dead Cow.

The Reuters reporter who recently broke with his exclusive story...he'd been sitting on it since late 2017. And in getting to talk to Beto and him to admit it he agreed to sit on the info until after Beto's election vs. Ted Cruz.
    That means he sat on it for almost a year really.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-b...-idUSKCN1QX02M

(Reuters) - Reuters reporter Joseph Menn exclusively revealed on Friday that Democratic presidential candidate Beto O’Rourke belonged to one of the best-known groups of computer hackers as a teenager.

Within minutes, his special report was the most popular story on Reuters.com here and was picked up by other news outlets. But the origin of the story goes back more than two years.

Members of the group, which calls itself Cult of the Dead Cow, protected O’Rourke’s secret for decades, reluctant to compromise the former Texas Congressman’s political career.

After more than a year of reporting, Menn persuaded O’Rourke to talk on the record. In an interview in late 2017, O’Rourke acknowledged that he was a member of the group, on the understanding that the information would not be made public until after his Senate race against Ted Cruz in November 2018.

In an interview with Reuters senior producer Jane Lee, Menn explains how he broke the story and got O’Rourke to open up about his hacking days.

“I decided to write a book about the Cult of the Dead Cow because they were the most interesting and influential hacking group in history. They illustrated a lot of the things that I think are fascinating about hacking and security work.

“While I was looking into the Cult of the Dead Cow, I found out that they had a member who was sitting in Congress. I didn’t know which one. But I knew that they had a member of Congress.

“And then I figured out which one it was. And the members of the group wouldn’t talk to me about who it was. They wouldn’t confirm that it was this person unless I promised that I wouldn’t write about it until after the November election. That’s because the member of Congress had decided to run for Senate. Beto O’Rourke is who it was.

“I met Beto O’Rourke. I said ‘I’m writing a book about Cult of the Dead Cow, I think it’s really interesting. I know you were in this group. This book is going to publish after November and your Senate race is over. And he said, ‘OK.’

“And he told me about his time in the Cult of the Dead Cow.”
    In the reporter's Twitter he claims he felt his book was more important than a scoop over a state race...
    https://twitter.com/josephmenn/status/1106578730904764416

Which might pass some mustard if it hadn't been a heavily, heavily promoted race with a lot of liberal hope that Beto would beat Cruz. It was hardly simply a little ol' state race.

The scoop would have hurt Beto for sure.

But he didn't have to worry.

But of course, it is perfectly natural to them to protect one of their own.
    “An atheist has to know a lot more than I know. An atheist is someone who knows there is no God.”
    Carl Sagan

God is love.

Comment

Originally posted by somnia View Post
      So Mr. Betomania was part of a hacktivist group called the Cult of the Dead Cow.

The Reuters reporter who recently broke with his exclusive story...he'd been sitting on it since late 2017. And in getting to talk to Beto and him to admit it he agreed to sit on the info until after Beto's election vs. Ted Cruz.
      That means he sat on it for almost a year really.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-b...-idUSKCN1QX02M

In the reporter's Twitter he claims he felt his book was more important than a scoop over a state race...
      https://twitter.com/josephmenn/status/1106578730904764416

Which might pass some mustard if it hadn't been a heavily, heavily promoted race with a lot of liberal hope that Beto would beat Cruz. It was hardly simply a little ol' state race.

The scoop would have hurt Beto for sure.

But he didn't have to worry.
      Wow. He’s so cool.

Right-wing outrage, based on ignorance of this group and the term “hacker” will be fun to watch. They shared original music and tried to help Chinese and Iranian dissidents get access to the wider internet.

Wired said, “this is like finding out Bernie Sanders was an original SCTV cast member or something.”
      Last edited by backup; 03-17-19, 08:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by backup View Post

Wow. He’s so cool.

Right-wing outrage, based on ignorance of this group and the term “hacke,r” will be fun to watch. They shared original music and tried to help Chinese and Iranian dissidents get access to the wider internet.

Wired said, “this is like finding out Bernie Sanders was an original SCTV cast member or something.”
        But did the scofflaws download music illegally? Shows the disdain for capitalism and property rights.

And the association with Chinese dissidents is proof of the lack of respect for authority of law and order, the right of a sovereign nation to enact laws to protect its citizens.

Comment

Wow. He’s so cool.

Right-wing outrage, based on ignorance of this group and the term “hacke,r” will be fun to watch. They shared original music and tried to help Chinese and Iranian dissidents get access to the wider internet.

The Cult of the Dead Cow put out hacking tools for hacking the Windows OS. Also circulated instructions for making explosives at some point too.

Beto himself admits defrauding a telephone company to avoid paying bills.

Comment

Originally posted by somnia View Post

The Cult of the Dead Cow put out hacking tools for hacking the Windows OS. Also circulated instructions for making explosives at some point too.

Beto himself admits defrauding a telephone company to avoid paying bills.
            Do you have similar misgivings about the dirt on Drumpf? Or is your sense of outrage reserved only for Democrats?
            "All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit." - Thomas Paine - THE AGE OF REASON

Comment

Wow. He’s so cool.

;
              Yeah, he's dreamy. So cute how he writes about running over children and getting a butt shine.

We need him for President.

Comment

Originally posted by bob1 View Post
                Or is your sense of outrage reserved only for Democrats?
                Mine is. Democrats, aka Liberals, are a great threat to a civil society. A greater threat than ISIS ever was. This nut Roberto proves liberal have to hide who they really are and be frauds to get into elected office unless they're running in Liberal strongholds.

Comment

Why do atheists fabricate gossip on "President Trump"?

Originally posted by bob1 View Post
                  Do you have similar misgivings about the dirt on Drumpf? Or is your sense of outrage reserved only for Democrats?
                  The FBI had pure misgivings on the Dossier. So much they didn't try to confirm any of it.

Your finger pointing won't fortify the Beto disaster.

Comment

Hmmm.....no wonder he is so hard-pressed for details regarding his actual achievements. Must be kinda hard to explain meritorious acceptance into a teenaged hacking group, especially nowadays when all the sins of one's youth (whether real or conveniently imagined) WILL be held against one in a court of law.
                    "For the eyes of the LORD move to and fro throughout the earth that He may strongly support those whose heart is completely His...." 2 Chronicles 16:9 NASB

Comment

It will be interesting to see if the Barack-endorsed white replica of himself can be forgiven for being an obviously privileged, rich, white man having no actual achievements, but an immediate coronation as the "cool" and "charismatic" heir to the throne. My bet is that the establishment will not back him, unless he teams with the old white man, Biden. Whatever will the "Me too's" do then?

It's showtime, and I'll enjoy some relish with the hot dog.
                      "For the eyes of the LORD move to and fro throughout the earth that He may strongly support those whose heart is completely His...." 2 Chronicles 16:9 NASB

Comment

Wow. He’s so cool.

Right-wing outrage, based on ignorance of this group and the term “hacker” will be fun to watch. They shared original music and tried to help Chinese and Iranian dissidents get access to the wider internet.

Given how stupid republicans look whenever they talk about the internet, I welcome someone who actually knows his tech

"Kids & Adults love Fairy Tale Ark exhibit" - Ken Ham

Comment

So you support teenaged hackers?

Comment

Originally posted by christdependent View Post
                            So you support teenaged hackers?
                            You hate teenagers?
                            "Kids & Adults love Fairy Tale Ark exhibit" - Ken Ham

Comment

Do you like rich white men who fantasize about running down kids in their car, have weird fantasies about cows, take on a Hispanic name in order to avoid being viewed as Irish, who command a lot of personal space because they flail their arms--full span--every direction with every syllable they speak...stand on restaurant countertops whenever they like, AND hide their teenaged hacking club activities while an important election is transpiring....

Oh. Of course you do.

Comment

Working...
                              X