Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Thank you President Trump, for the next American Century . . .

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank you President Trump, for the next American Century . . .

Does anyone want to join me in congratulation the president for winning the battle for the 21st century? Just as he has already won the battle for energy independence?
    Thank you President Trump!

China has a choice to make: open up or stagnate

Graeme Maxton
    5-6 minutes

It has lifted hundreds of millions of people

– more than any country in human history, and in barely a generation. It has constructed vast new cities, attracted trillions of dollars of inward investment and spread its influence across the world, most recently through the Belt and Road Initiative.

While it is easy to imagine that some on Capitol Hill have seen what is coming for a decade or more, it will be hard for people in China, especially among the country’s leadership, to accept that this path to glory is coming to an end. Yet China has been fooling itself, its hopes stoked by enthusiastic foreign investors, the rhetoric of local academics and the dreams of its own people.

It is the trade war that has laid China's weaknesses open for all to see. It is now clear that Huawei, China’s big hope in hi-tech, along with ZTE and several other IT firms, are not much of a force to reckon with. Without US hardware, operating licences and software, these firms have been beached.

They are at least 10 years behind technologically and cannot develop the skills needed to survive in anything like their current form. A
    link to Russia does not solve this problem. Two countries without cutting-edge technology does not add up to much.

It is the same in defence, the auto industry, aviation and many other sectors. Despite decades of effort and lots of state planning, China
    lacks the depth of engineering skills, patents and technology needed to manufacture globally competitive high-end products. Dismantling a flight management system, a car braking system or a smartphone and reproducing the parts does not make it possible to build them from scratch.

The trade war has not only exposed all this, it has also left China with a stark and unpalatable choice. It must open up, as the US demands, or go it alone without the skills needed to win.

The US is now making the demands its strategic advantage allows. It wants an end to state subsides. It wants an end to counterfeiting and laws which force foreign investors to hand over their technology. It wants access to China's farmers. It wants access to data, so that America’s tech giants can compete without restrictions. It wants China to play by America’s rules, knowing that China’s home-grown rivals cannot win.

Ultimately, it wants China to conform to the Western liberal free-market system with an end of one-party rule. “Do it our way” is the message, and remember that America is the unrivalled global superpower.

For a long time, it seemed as if China might have been able to resist such pressure. It could take comfort in its vast holdings of US government bonds, its control of those rare earth deposits, its rising national champions, its modern infrastructure, its 1.4 billion people, 5,000 years of history and growing influence in Asia. But the Huawei problem has revealed the hollowness of these hopes.

So what comes next? Accepting America’s trade terms will be hard. China can probably retain its role as a global production hub but only if it pays financial tribute for the privilege. It will be allowed to develop hi-tech firms like Huawei but the keys to the technology will stay in the US, Germany, Japan and South Korea.

It will be able to send its armies of tourists and their renminbi to make friends. But it will only be able to buy raw materials if the US agrees. It must gradually open its markets and stop subsidising industries, while accepting the slow beat of the democracy drum.

Going it alone will be just as difficult. Rejecting the US means accepting that China cannot compete in the economic sectors which offer global power because it cannot catch up technologically. It will only be able to offer defence, automotive, telecoms and other high-end products to countries which cannot afford the best, and only then if the US and its allies allow.

Going it alone means that the tide of inward investment will gradually flow in the opposite direction, and China will become more closed to the world, the Soviet Union of the 21st century, perhaps.

The choice between accepting one humiliation or the other will have consequences for Chinese society for decades, and for the rest of the world.

Graeme Maxton is an economist and author

https://www.scmp.com/comment/opinion...now-has-choice

• Thistle
    replied
    Originally posted by noemail001 View Post

n>Thanks for the interesting article. I congratulate President Trump for winning many, many battles... some of them would have been unthinkable... impossible. I congratulate him also for not getting tired of all that winning. Regarding the issues with Cheater-China... I congratulate him for taking on those thieving, lying, totalitarian commies posing as capitalists. About winning that battle, IMHO, it seems a bit premature. Maybe it's because I don't know what is really happening. I'll quote that great POTUS: "Let's see." If China, God forbid, is desperate enough and stupid enough to join Iran and Russia to start WW3, then "winning" would need to be redefined. May God bless President Trump and all his team. May God bless the nations of the world and may all repent of their sins and turn fully to Jesus Christ.
    Well said. It looks like Trump has won, provided of course that fat cat politicians who are on the take from China [like Biden and McConnell] and the United States Chamber of Crony Capitalism don't remove the power Trump is using. But is would not be the first time cowardly and corrupt American pols have rested defeat from the jaws of victory.

Leave a comment:

• noemail001
    replied
    Originally posted by Thistle View Post
    Does anyone want to join me in congratulation the president for winning the battle for the 21st century? Just as he has already won the battle for energy independence? Thank you President Trump! ...
    n>Thanks for the interesting article. I congratulate President Trump for winning many, many battles... some of them would have been unthinkable... impossible. I congratulate him also for not getting tired of all that winning. Regarding the issues with Cheater-China... I congratulate him for taking on those thieving, lying, totalitarian commies posing as capitalists. About winning that battle, IMHO, it seems a bit premature. Maybe it's because I don't know what is really happening. I'll quote that great POTUS: "Let's see." If China, God forbid, is desperate enough and stupid enough to join Iran and Russia to start WW3, then "winning" would need to be redefined. May God bless President Trump and all his team. May God bless the nations of the world and may all repent of their sins and turn fully to Jesus Christ.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X