Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

MLK: Spawn of Satan or a great light of the twentieth century?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MLK: Spawn of Satan or a great light of the twentieth century?

Was the world a better place for having MLK among us? Or was he an evil man?

And more directly to Christians, did MLK edify the Body of Christ? (I do believe that the Body of Christ can be edified, strengthened)

Originally posted by simplicio View Post

And more directly to Christians, did MLK edify the Body of Christ? (I do believe that the Body of Christ can be edified, strengthened)
    I will answer my own OP.

I think MLK was one of the great social commentators coming out of Protestantism in the 20th century, along with Reinhold Niebuhr and Dietrich Bonhoeffer. (two names always have to check the spelling) Niebuhr's thought has already been explored, absorbed, by society, Christian and non Christian. MLK greatest work was Letter from Birmingham Jail, and not a lengthy book, his approach was pastoral. Bonhoeffer has not really been examined yet, I think that is for the 21st century church.

Is there any Christian here who is surprised to learn that there is a Christian who has sinned? Too often sin is used as a tool to show that the person was not a Christian or sin somehow disqualifies their work.

Comment

Is there any Christian here who is surprised to learn that there is a Christian who has sinned? Too often sin is used as a tool to show that the person was not a Christian or sin somehow disqualifies their work.
      The Bible says that ongoing sin is an indicator one is not a Christian.

Comment

Originally posted by Florida Angler View Post

Okay. But what does that actually mean in practice, in the life of the Christian?

You apparently consider yourself a Christian, a real, bona fide Christian. But how do you determine whether you do not have ongoing sin? Is there some process of introspection, a self examination involved?

Is sin in your life at all?

Comment

I'm beginning to feel more and more as if MLK's legacy is a blip.

The country is evolving away from his dream that his "children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." Those who try to do that are branded racist, and those who want everyone to be judged by their skin color are being placed into the fore-front of the progressive movement.

Skin color (and other identification factors) have become more important than character, and in fact has become the defining trait for many people. I think MLK would be turning over in his grave to see how far away we moved from his dream, and even worse by those who would otherwise claim to be taking up his fight.
          I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.
          -Mahatma Gandhi quotes (Indian Philosopher, internationally esteemed for his doctrine of nonviolent protest, 1869-1948)

It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.
          -Sherlock Holmes in A study in Scarlet

Comment

Originally posted by Florida Angler View Post

This applies to Trump, right?
            Reality rules, Honor the truth - in memory of Chem1st.

Comment

Originally posted by robert4818 View Post

The country is evolving away from his dream that his "children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." Those who try to do that are branded racist, and those who want everyone to be judged by their skin color are being placed into the fore-front of the progressive movement.

Skin color (and other identification factors) have become more important than character, and in fact has become the defining trait for many people. I think MLK would be turning over in his grave to see how far away we moved from his dream, and even worse by those who would otherwise claim to be taking up his fight.
              I agree 100% with you. Today the Democrats WANT people to be judged by the color of their skin and not the content of their character. The Democrats are going backwards. Perhaps this is the only way they can stay in power.
              “When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.” - Socrates

"The concept of a "Personal God," interfering with natural events,...." No criticism of this distorted idea of God can be sharp enough". - Tillich

Comment

Originally posted by vibise View Post

This applies to Trump, right?
                Do you have some inside info as to Trump's ongoing sin? Please spare me the constantly lying meme. Remember, Peter lied 3 times in the space of a few minutes about knowing Jesus Christ. If he had been killed immediately after the 3rd time, would he have been doomed as an unbeliever?
                It all seems so arbritary. I applied at this company because they were hiring, I took a desk at the back because it was empty. But no matter how you get there or where you end up, humans have a miraculous gift to make that place home. -creed bratton

Comment

Originally posted by awsmmix View Post

Do you have some inside info as to Trump's ongoing sin? Please spare me the constantly lying meme. Remember, Peter lied 3 times in the space of a few minutes about knowing Jesus Christ. If he had been killed immediately after the 3rd time, would he have been doomed as an unbeliever?
                  Talk to your buddy, Florida Angler, who claims ongoing sin in ones life is evidence of not being a Christian.
                  "All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit." - Thomas Paine - THE AGE OF REASON

Comment

The gaslighting attempt of the conservative movement which continues to fight tooth and nail to oppress poc trying to claim MLK's legacy for themselves.

Comment

See vibise? Trump's sins aren't really sins.

Comment

That's very true. MLK has been lauded with a National Holiday and "Boulevards" named after him in every city of the United States, but his message that color does not determine character is being ignored by many.
                        If he had meant to cast you away he would have done so long ago. If he wanted reasons for rejecting you he had reasons from all eternity, for he knew what you would be. No sin in you has been a surprise to him. C.H. Spurgeon

Comment

Originally posted by Aagcobb View Post

The gaslighting attempt of the conservative movement which continues to fight tooth and nail to oppress poc trying to claim MLK's legacy for themselves.
                          Explain how anything I said there was wrong.
                          I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.
                          -Mahatma Gandhi quotes (Indian Philosopher, internationally esteemed for his doctrine of nonviolent protest, 1869-1948)

It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.
                          -Sherlock Holmes in A study in Scarlet

Comment

Originally posted by Aagcobb View Post

See vibise? Trump's sins aren't really sins.
                            Are Vibise's sins really sins?
                            If he had meant to cast you away he would have done so long ago. If he wanted reasons for rejecting you he had reasons from all eternity, for he knew what you would be. No sin in you has been a surprise to him. C.H. Spurgeon

Comment

And not only that!
                              He would have been tortured for eternity by your all-merciful god!

Comment

Working...
                              X