Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

13 Philly Police Officers To Be Fired Over Racist, Offensive Facebook Posts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 13 Philly Police Officers To Be Fired Over Racist, Offensive Facebook Posts

Good to see, especially in a city with as problematic a police force as Philadelphia. Too bad it wasn't more of the 72, instead of only 13. People with views and behavior like this have no place in a police force, in a position of trusted power over people.

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — Over a dozen Philadelphia police officers will be fired for their racist and offensive social media posts, officials announced on Thursday. Philadelphia Police Commissioner Richard Ross says 13 officers, including a sergeant, will be suspended for 30 days with intent to dismiss.

Seventy-two officers were initially placed on administrative leave on June 19 after Plain View Project, a watchdog group, discovered the controversial posts of police officers who work in Philadelphia and in other cities around the country.

Ross said the researchers identified 3,100 offensive or potentially offensive Facebook posts from 328 active-duty Philly officers. Some of the entries were from as early as 2010.

Four officers will receive 30-day suspensions, three faced no discipline, and the remaining officers who were placed on desk duty will get a reprimand to a five-day suspension.

The department hired a law firm to review each post to make sure it was constitutionally protected.

The department targeted officers’ posts that advocated violence and speech against members in a protected class like ethnicity, race, religion and sex.

Some of the posts showed officers wanting to ram people with Obama bumper stickers and others calling those in the Black Lives Matter movement “racist pieces of [expletive].” There were also anti-Islamic posts and others that referred to African Americans as thugs and encouraged police brutality.

“That is disheartening to know that in 2019 that we still have people with these views, that not only have these views but that would take to social media in a very public space to expound on such views in a way that is absolutely sickening,” Ross said.

Ross said the department is working “tirelessly to make this situation better.”

“I am very troubled and I understand the dismay that the public would have because we have it as well,” he said.

The police commissioner says the department tries to expose officers to different types of things but realizes he can’t “wipe out people’s thoughts and minds.”

“It is so sad that it plays itself out in so many ways across this country, a country that is supposed to be the greatest country in the world that we have such hatred that doesn’t seem to end,” he said.

Philadelphia Mayor Jim Kenney said during Thursday’s press conference that he is “confident” in Ross’ leadership.

“He has my confidence, they have my confidence and we will address this truly unfortunate situation in the best way we can, but he’s the commissioner and they’re the [deputies] and I’m very confident in all of their abilities,” Kenney said.

Kenney added that he doesn’t blame the department’s leadership over the officers’ offensive posts.

“I think people have hate in their heart, they have hate in their hearts, and I don’t they there’s anything they can do to get the hate out of their hearts other than fire them, discipline them and train them,” he said.

The Fraternal Order of Police said in a statement the union is “disappointed that our officers will be terminated without due-process.”

“We are currently meeting with each officer to prepare an appropriate response to protect our members’ rights under the contract,” FOP President John McNesby said. “FOP Lodge #5 and our members condemn racist and hateful speech in any form. The overwhelming majority of our members serve this city with integrity and professionalism.”

The commissioner says no more firings are expected. The investigation is still ongoing.

https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/20...issioner-says/
    A forum liberal
    "When you claimed black people were raped, wasn't that racist? I'd say so."

The Fraternal Order of Police said in a statement the union is “disappointed that our officers will be terminated without due-process.”

The racist smears were pre-meditated.

Comment

Originally posted by Nouveau View Post

The racist smears

brown stain

brownie

Comment

Originally posted by backup View Post

And don't forget calling an adult black male "boy". But apparently he didn't know it had racist connotations.

What I find amazing is that Christians will sniff out antisemitism and racism among others, but if it comes from a fundie, then mums the word. It might interrupt the evangelizing of unbelievers.

Comment

Bump
          A forum liberal

Comment

Next they need to cleanse the CBP of the officers participating in the secret racist Facebook group, starting with their chief, Carla Provost. https://static-theintercept-com.cdn....rom%20%251%24s

Comment

Hmmm... Not sure what to think about this.

Some of the posts showed officers wanting to ram people with Obama bumper stickers
              Is that racist or political? It could be either. And can someone saying they would like to ram such a vehicle mean that they actually would? I would like to punch a few prominent Lefties in the face, but I know that I wouldn't.

and others calling those in the Black Lives Matter movement “racist pieces of [expletive].”
              This officer was disciplined as being "racist" because he called others "racist"? Or was it because he used an expletive? This too sounds politically motivated and not racially. BLM is a political movement.

There were also anti-Islamic posts and others that referred to African Americans as thugs and encouraged police brutality.
              Encouraging police brutality certainly crosses the line.

There are almost no details in this article so it is difficult to make any blanket statements about their freedom of speech being infringed upon. But stupid people are going to suffer for being stupid, and a person employed in the public sector making "racist and offensive social media posts" is stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Aagcobb View Post
                Next they need to cleanse the CBP of the officers participating in the secret racist Facebook group, starting with their chief, Carla Provost. https://static-theintercept-com.cdn....rom%20%251%24s
                Agreed wholeheartedly.
                A forum liberal

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                  Hmmm... Not sure what to think about this.

Is that racist or political? It could be either. And can someone saying they would like to ram such a vehicle mean that they actually would? I would like to punch a few prominent Lefties in the face, but I know that I wouldn't.

This officer was disciplined as being "racist" because he called others "racist"? Or was it because he used an expletive? This too sounds politically motivated and not racially. BLM is a political movement.

Encouraging police brutality certainly crosses the line.

There are almost no details in this article so it is difficult to make any blanket statements about their freedom of speech being infringed upon. But stupid people are going to suffer for being stupid, and a person employed in the public sector making "racist and offensive social media posts" is stupid.
                  One can peruse the many, many, many posts at their leisure, and even sort by city, and even search for keywords:
                  https://www.plainviewproject.org/
                  A forum liberal

Comment

Originally posted by simplicio View Post

And don't forget calling an adult black male "boy". But apparently he didn't know it had racist connotations.

What I find amazing is that Christians will sniff out antisemitism and racism among others, but if it comes from a fundie, then mums the word. It might interrupt the evangelizing of unbelievers.
                    What I find mind-blowing is that it is SOOOO obvious he/she/it is NOT a christian by any stretch of the imagination, yet christians won't call it out???
                    I believe is that because there are few actual christians hanging out at the s-e-p forum. That most here who claim to be christian don't post at the christian areas is an evidence to support my belief.
                    Also confusing is why doesn't carm do more to reign in the trolls, especially the ones posing as christian because they make christians look worse than they are.???
                    Perception is awareness shaped by beliefs
                    Beliefs "control" perception

..... Rewrite beliefs and you rewrite perceptions
                    .......... Rewrite perceptions and you rewrite behaviors

Adopting a Do Not Feed The Trolls practice.

Comment

I can see the police having a hate towards blm, as they promote violence against police, but as a police officer they are called to a higher level of professionalism. They do need a place / venue where they can safely vent their frustrations.

Also, is a christian officer going to treat someone who has an anti-christian bumper sticker, or vice versa, an atheist handling someone who has repent-or-burn bumper sticker?
                      Likewise with political leanings?
                      That's why I don't post my views on my Jeep (just trails and parks and such) or discuss my political / religious views with co-workers because I know how they think.
                      Perception is awareness shaped by beliefs
                      Beliefs "control" perception

..... Rewrite beliefs and you rewrite perceptions
                      .......... Rewrite perceptions and you rewrite behaviors

Adopting a Do Not Feed The Trolls practice.

Comment

The animals are running Philly. Of America's biggest cities, Philly has the highest rate of violent crime. When cops are harrassed by the PC monkeys, they back away from criminals and crime increases.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeeper
                          Also confusing is why doesn't carm do more to reign in the trolls
                          Glad I'm not the only one who asks this.

I belong to a couple of Christian Facebook groups. Apparently, the message boards here have a pretty bad reputation as being a lawless place with no moderators.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruk View Post
                            The animals are running Philly. Of America's biggest cities, Philly has the highest rate of violent crime. When cops are harrassed by the PC monkeys, they back away from criminals and crime increases.
                            I used to live in the Philly suburbs, just over the river in Camden County. Worked in Philly at 5th and Market. Philly is a complete craphole.

Last time I was there was about two years ago. I had to change trains at the Gallery. It was like something out of a dystopian movie. I couldn't get out of there fast enough. I can't imagine what it must be like for women to have to walk through there.

Philly is lost and yet, they won't stop voting for the people who have destroyed that once beautiful city.

Comment

Originally posted by GondwanaLand View Post
                              One can peruse the many, many, many posts at their leisure, and even sort by city, and even search for keywords:
                              https://www.plainviewproject.org/
                              Geez! Someone sure spent a lot of time cataloging all of that!

Comment

Working...
                              X