Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

The Family: An enigmatic Christian conservative group

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The Family: An enigmatic Christian conservative group

    Also known as The Fellowship and The International Foundation.

    I heard about this group via the latest Netflix docu/drama. I've watched the first two episodes and ordered Mr Sharlet's 2009 book, having read the "taster" on Amazon.

    Has anyone else watched the series or read his work?

    The entire thing is not only cultish with distinct undertones of the Mafia along with various totalitarian regimes and their oaths of allegiance, it even has a hint of Fight Club [ the first rule of the Family is that nobody talks about the Family].

    However, it also appears to be flouting the separation of Church and State within the USA. The group was established by Abraham Vereide [1886-1969] and, until his death in 2017, by Doug Coe - played rather well in the docu/drama by the eminently watchable James Cromwell.

    The thing that particularly caught my attention is that its members do not call themselves Christians but "followers of Christ" and they have edited the Bible down to a book simply called Jesus. This contains the four canonical gospels and Acts. Nothing else. I have no idea what translation it uses - maybe they did their own.

    Anyway, it's a fascinatingly disturbing documentary and worth a look for those that have Netflix
    Last edited by Hypatia_Alexandria; 08-14-19, 12:07 PM.
    On the evidence:

    If there were no Patriarchs, no Exodus, no conquest of Canaan, no united monarchy under David and Solomon. Can the early biblical Israel described in the books of Moses, Judges, Joshua, and Samuel, ever have existed at all?

  • #2
    I've watched some pretty amazing documentaries on Netflix. This one popped up as suggested, and I added it to my queue.

    I haven't watched it yet, though.

    When I said "amazing documentaries", my first thought was for "The Keepers". 6 episodes (I think), and I almost binged watched them all in a single setting; it was too long to be in front of the TV, but was well worth it (though depressing)
    The people whining about Democrats looking to the government to solve problems are the same ones who want the government to define marriage, criminalize abortion, slow/stop legal immigration, save farmers, create jobs, etc.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by America View Post
      I've watched some pretty amazing documentaries on Netflix. This one popped up as suggested, and I added it to my queue.

      I haven't watched it yet, though.

      When I said "amazing documentaries", my first thought was for "The Keepers". 6 episodes (I think), and I almost binged watched them all in a single setting; it was too long to be in front of the TV, but was well worth it (though depressing)
      Oooh I haven't seen that one advertised over here. I understand that our Netflix lists are a little different from those in the USA. I shall investigate further....
      On the evidence:

      If there were no Patriarchs, no Exodus, no conquest of Canaan, no united monarchy under David and Solomon. Can the early biblical Israel described in the books of Moses, Judges, Joshua, and Samuel, ever have existed at all?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

        Oooh I haven't seen that one advertised over here. I understand that our Netflix lists are a little different from those in the USA. I shall investigate further....
        I think I created a thread about it when I first started watching the episodes. It's about the murder of a nun in the late 60s here in northeastern US. The story blossoms into something else, and I was shocked to hear how big it was.

        I don't want to give anything away, but I think you'd find it compelling (if not gripping, albeit in a very understated manner).

        There are tons of reviews for it, and the Wikipedia entry will give the evolution of the story away...
        The people whining about Democrats looking to the government to solve problems are the same ones who want the government to define marriage, criminalize abortion, slow/stop legal immigration, save farmers, create jobs, etc.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
          Also known as The Fellowship and The International Foundation.
          What I didn't know was that the "Fellowship" puts on the "National Prayer Breakfast" as their yearly "event" They don't appear to be a "Christian" group at all - just another CULT. But a politically well connected one.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Bob Carabbio View Post
            What I didn't know was that the "Fellowship" puts on the "National Prayer Breakfast" as their yearly "event"
            Having only watched the previews - this surprised me as well. It was a little creepy, but hey, maybe it being proposed by a single shadowy organization isn't necessarily bad.

            Originally posted by Bob Carabbio View Post
            They don't appear to be a "Christian" group at all - just another CULT.
            Have you watched the series, Bob, or are you "gleaning" this from the previews alone?
            The people whining about Democrats looking to the government to solve problems are the same ones who want the government to define marriage, criminalize abortion, slow/stop legal immigration, save farmers, create jobs, etc.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Bob Carabbio View Post

              What I didn't know was that the "Fellowship" puts on the "National Prayer Breakfast" as their yearly "event" They don't appear to be a "Christian" group at all - just another CULT. But a politically well connected one.
              Do you know something Bob? I think we have just agreed on something.
              On the evidence:

              If there were no Patriarchs, no Exodus, no conquest of Canaan, no united monarchy under David and Solomon. Can the early biblical Israel described in the books of Moses, Judges, Joshua, and Samuel, ever have existed at all?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by America View Post
                I think I created a thread about it when I first started watching the episodes. It's about the murder of a nun in the late 60s here in northeastern US. The story blossoms into something else, and I was shocked to hear how big it was.

                I don't want to give anything away, but I think you'd find it compelling (if not gripping, albeit in a very understated manner).

                There are tons of reviews for it, and the Wikipedia entry will give the evolution of the story away...
                Oh I see. Yes I have just read about it on IMDB - I did not open reviews with "spoilers".

                I shall have to see if it's on Netflix Europe.

                Thanks for directing me to it.
                On the evidence:

                If there were no Patriarchs, no Exodus, no conquest of Canaan, no united monarchy under David and Solomon. Can the early biblical Israel described in the books of Moses, Judges, Joshua, and Samuel, ever have existed at all?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by America View Post
                  Having only watched the previews - this surprised me as well. It was a little creepy, but hey, maybe it being proposed by a single shadowy organization isn't necessarily bad.


                  Have you watched the series, Bob, or are you "gleaning" this from the previews alone?
                  Never even heard of the "series", but some evaluations are falling off a log easy.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
                    Also known as The Fellowship and The International Foundation.

                    I heard about this group via the latest Netflix docu/drama. I've watched the first two episodes and ordered Mr Sharlet's 2009 book, having read the "taster" on Amazon.

                    Has anyone else watched the series or read his work?

                    The entire thing is not only cultish with distinct undertones of the Mafia along with various totalitarian regimes and their oaths of allegiance, it even has a hint of Fight Club [ the first rule of the Family is that nobody talks about the Family].

                    However, it also appears to be flouting the separation of Church and State within the USA. The group was established by Abraham Vereide [1886-1969] and, until his death in 2017, by Doug Coe - played rather well in the docu/drama by the eminently watchable James Cromwell.

                    The thing that particularly caught my attention is that its members do not call themselves Christians but "followers of Christ" and they have edited the Bible down to a book simply called Jesus. This contains the four canonical gospels and Acts. Nothing else. I have no idea what translation it uses - maybe they did their own.

                    Anyway, it's a fascinatingly disturbing documentary and worth a look for those that have Netflix
                    Iíve binge watched the series over the last several days. Interesting and scary, but I can certainly see that from their perspective they are doing the Jesus thing and how they can feel certainty in what they are doing. Probably what troubled me the most was how their leaders sometimes turn a blind eye to misbehavior because the person is one of their ..brothers.. and as such is ..chosen by god.. and like David, no matter how bad the mistake, he is part of the selected group and should be supported. Also, their vague notion of ..god.. when it comes to dealing with despots and dictators as when they met with Gaddafi. In such meetings, itís obvious that they are just about making powerful connections and not centering their message on the Christian god or the behavior that is acceptable or not to that specific god.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Zaphod View Post

                      I’ve binge watched the series over the last several days. Interesting and scary, but I can certainly see that from their perspective they are doing the Jesus thing and how they can feel certainty in what they are doing. Probably what troubled me the most was how their leaders sometimes turn a blind eye to misbehavior because the person is one of their ..brothers.. and as such is ..chosen by god.. and like David, no matter how bad the mistake, he is part of the selected group and should be supported. Also, their vague notion of ..god.. when it comes to dealing with despots and dictators as when they met with Gaddafi. In such meetings, it’s obvious that they are just about making powerful connections and not centering their message on the Christian god or the behavior that is acceptable or not to that specific god.
                      Well I've not read the book - yet and have only watched two episodes but what I have seen so far I find distinctly unnerving and disturbing, particularly the political influence.
                      On the evidence:

                      If there were no Patriarchs, no Exodus, no conquest of Canaan, no united monarchy under David and Solomon. Can the early biblical Israel described in the books of Moses, Judges, Joshua, and Samuel, ever have existed at all?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        If they have redacted the New Testament like that then they cant be considered Christian.... except by progressives of course who go by what people claim so people can identify as anyone they want.

                        NB much of society's ills can be attributed to liberal progressive ideology.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by brightmorningstar View Post
                          If they have redacted the New Testament like that then they cant be considered Christian
                          Their "muscular" Christianity and Jesus is certainly very interesting and [I suspect] unique.

                          Originally posted by brightmorningstar View Post
                          .... except by progressives of course who go by what people claim so people can identify as anyone they want.

                          NB much of society's ills can be attributed to liberal progressive ideology.
                          Oh rest assured BMS this group is as far from liberal progressive ideology as it could possibly go.
                          On the evidence:

                          If there were no Patriarchs, no Exodus, no conquest of Canaan, no united monarchy under David and Solomon. Can the early biblical Israel described in the books of Moses, Judges, Joshua, and Samuel, ever have existed at all?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
                            Their "muscular" Christianity and Jesus is certainly very interesting and [I suspect] unique.

                            Oh rest assured BMS this group is as far from liberal progressive ideology as it could possibly go.
                            Havent watched it so cant comment, though we have progressive lgbt activists who think Anglican, Evangelical and Roman Catholic are cults. So we would have to see it for oursleves and let you know rather than take your word for it.
                            Last edited by brightmorningstar; 08-15-19, 07:52 AM.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by brightmorningstar View Post

                              Havent watched it so cant comment, though we have progressive lgbt activists who think Anglican, Evangelical and Roman Catholic are cults. So we would have to see it for oursleves and let you know rather than take your word for it.
                              I have never suggested anyone should "take" my "word" on it. My question in the OP was to enquire if anyone else had see the series or read the book. My observations in that same OP were on what I had seen from the two episodes I had watched.

                              I do wish you would learn to reply to what individuals have actually written and not simply submit posts premised on what you think has been written.
                              On the evidence:

                              If there were no Patriarchs, no Exodus, no conquest of Canaan, no united monarchy under David and Solomon. Can the early biblical Israel described in the books of Moses, Judges, Joshua, and Samuel, ever have existed at all?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X