Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Hollywood and the American conscience

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hollywood and the American conscience

Hollywood is often criticized. It does make a slew of secular movies, some are wholesome family entertainment, some, not so much. But are all of its products without merit?

I think some of Hollywood's greatest films, The Robe, Giant, To Kill a Mockingbird, definitely helped shape our conscience.

And some of TVs entertainment has been noted to affect our conscience, the old Law and order series (I think Law and Order: SVU is still currently running) is a good example.

Any thoughts?

Is the impact of Hollywood positive or negative?

Originally posted by simplicio View Post
    Hollywood is often criticized. It does make a slew of secular movies, some are wholesome family entertainment, some, not so much. But are all of its products without merit?

I think some of Hollywood's greatest films, The Robe, Giant, To Kill a Mockingbird, definitely helped shape our conscience.

And some of TVs entertainment has been noted to affect our conscience, the old Law and order series (I think Law and Order: SVU is still currently running) is a good example.

Any thoughts?

If you want a really interesting take on Hollywood. Have a look at this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2YZws9xYEQ

I think the whole documentary is available on Youtube albeit in parts.

I recommend watching it and also reading the book of the same title: An Empire of Their Own: How the Jews Invented Hollywood by Neil Gabler.

ETA In that opening section Gabler postulates the idea that the American Dream was actually born in Eastern Europe and that the American people learned how to think of themselves and identify themselves, though the images and storylines of those early movies.

On the evidence:

If there were no Patriarchs, no Exodus, no conquest of Canaan, no united monarchy under David and Solomon. Can the early biblical Israel described in the books of Moses, Judges, Joshua, and Samuel, ever have existed at all?

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
      An Empire of Their Own: How the Jews Invented Hollywood
      Those sneaky Jews, they ruin everything, don't they Ms. German historian.
      “An atheist has to know a lot more than I know. An atheist is someone who knows there is no God.”
      Carl Sagan

God is love.

Comment

Hollywood is a sleaze bucket, run by Rob Reiner-type propagandists and Harvey Weinstein-type predators. Yeah, films from earlier years had some merit but the crap it puts out today is nauseating.

Comment

Any thoughts?

The impact you think Hollywood makes depends, in part I would imagine, on your point of view. I personally would prefer they stick to doing what they are paid to do, entertain us. I don't care about their politics anymore than I care about the politics of my dentist, mechanic or plumber. I believe too much emphasis has been placed on what those like George Clooney think. Who cares? Its like what's her name told whats his face, shut up and dribble.
          "Now, what is the Sacrament of the Altar!
          Answer: It is the true body and blood of our Lord Jesus Christ, in and under the bread and wine which we Christians are commanded by the Word of Christ to eat and to drink."

Martin Luther "The Large Cathechism"

Comment

Any thoughts?

For the most part NEGATIVE, Anti Christian, and demonic.

All of the "Law and order" genre were demonstrations of how the "system" DOESN'T WORK, and has top be manipulated to achieve the desired "justice".

Comment

Any thoughts?

The motive behind Hollywood is profits.

No one should be fooled by this. They are not first and foremost sweet, good-natured socially-conscious pluralistic artists making film that represents the plurality of America. They are leftist profiteers and their political agenda is secondary to their desire for money.

What many consider "wholesome family entertainment" is nothing more than sit-coms where the husbands/fathers are buffoons, the wives/mothers are shrill control freaks, and the children are geniuses, crime procedurals where the criminals are invariably right-wing nutjobs, or sci-fi adventure dramas about leftist utopias.

They do shape our thinking.
              All verses cited or quoted or in the NAS unless otherwise noted.

“if anyone competes as an athlete, he does not win the prize unless he competes according to the rules.” (2 Tim. 2:5)

Comment

Originally posted by Josheb View Post
                Absolutely!!! Same goes for the media as a whole.

They do shape our thinking.
                ABSOLUTELY!!!

Comment

No one should be fooled by this.
                  Is there anything intrinsically wrong with a sound capitalist goal?

They are leftist profiteers and their political agenda is secondary to their desire for money.
                  Can they be both capitalist with a "motive" for "profit", as well as leftists? That reads as two contradictory statements.

On the evidence:

If there were no Patriarchs, no Exodus, no conquest of Canaan, no united monarchy under David and Solomon. Can the early biblical Israel described in the books of Moses, Judges, Joshua, and Samuel, ever have existed at all?

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Carabbio View Post

Absolutely!!! Same goes for the media as a whole.
                    What is so wrong with that? I thought most here shouted "Hurrah for Capitalism" and regarded anything that was less than capitalist or that leaned to the Left was to be reviled.

On the evidence:

Comment

What is so wrong with that? I thought most here shouted "Hurrah for Capitalism" and regarded anything that was less than capitalist or that leaned to the Left was to be reviled.
                      Leaning left and being a leftist aren't necessarily the same thing. It's also simplistic to think capitalism is only about making money.
                      Answer: It is the true body and blood of our Lord Jesus Christ, in and under the bread and wine which we Christians are commanded by the Word of Christ to eat and to drink."

Comment

Originally posted by ignatius View Post

Leaning left and being a leftist aren't necessarily the same thing.
                        Who wrote that they were?

Originally posted by ignatius View Post
                        It's also simplistic to think capitalism is only about making money.
                        This must be all wrong then.

Capitalistic ownership means two things. First, the owners control the factors of production. Second, they derive their income from their ownership. That gives them the ability to operate their companies efficiently. It also provides them with the incentive to maximize profit. [...] The owners of supply compete against each other for the highest profit. They sell their goods at the highest possible price while keeping their costs as low as possible..
                        On the evidence:

Comment

Who wrote that they were?

This must be all wrong then.

Capitalistic ownership means two things. First, the owners control the factors of production. Second, they derive their income from their ownership. That gives them the ability to operate their companies efficiently. It also provides them with the incentive to maximize profit. [...] The owners of supply compete against each other for the highest profit. They sell their goods at the highest possible price while keeping their costs as low as possible..
                          You did.

Correct. Its who controls the means of production. Its not a guarantee you make money if you owns the means of production. Also more important than just making money is deciding for oneself where and how any money made will be spent. Again a simplistic understanding of capitalism is of no use to you.

Comment

"Capitalism" is O.K. Pretending to have "Higher motives" when you don't is hypocrisy.

Comment

Any thoughts?

I think there's a difference between "tv" and "Hollywood". The former includes everything we see on it, but Hollywood is mostly about movies or large productions in general; can we blame Hollywood for commercials or the local news, for example?

Let's skip past that, though, and assume the two terms are interchangeable. Hollywood has done good things for society, but I suspect overall its impact is a negative one. We in the US are sedentary, and we now want our information/entertainment pre-digested for us; these things are the product of Hollywood's success. It's helped make us stupid and fat.

Still, "content" (for lack of a better umbrella term) is provided based on what the provider thinks we want. Since there are different providers (re. Fox, PBS, Paramount, The Weather Channel, etc), different kinds of content are produced - and on some level this yields competition in our media. People SHOULD have choices like Frontline or Married With Children or Fareed Zakaria's GPS or Rick & Morty or Breaking Bad, etc.

The real question is why the people who complain are letting other people tell them what they want. If "Hollywood" is bad, do something about it; take some responsibility for the media you consume, rather than just letting it wash over you indiscriminately. Go create movies you think people should be watching - and then watch them tell you to **** off because it doesn't contain enough car chases. They don't wanna be told what they want, either.

The fact is that people want what Hollywood is providing. If we wanted something else, it'd get produced. Christian family values content exists because there's enough of a demand for it; the same is true of the idiotic Fast & Furious franchise. Just because every bit of the content "Hollywood" produces isn't stuff I wanna see - doesn't mean there's a problem with Hollywood.

Americans are media sheep, for the most part.
                              Last edited by America; 08-15-19, 02:53 PM.
                              The people whining about Democrats looking to the government to solve problems are the same ones who want the government to define marriage, criminalize abortion, slow/stop legal immigration, save farmers, create jobs, etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X