Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Washington Post Publishes Fake News that NC Repubs Exploited 9/11 for Vote

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Washington Post Publishes Fake News that NC Repubs Exploited 9/11 for Vote

    https://hotair.com/archives/ed-morri...e-cooper-veto/

    So the story published by the left-leaning anti-Trump newspaper, and which was circulated by other liberal sources was that in NC while Democrats were attending 9/11 memorials, the dastardly Republicans snuck into the legislature to override a veto, taking advantage of Democratic absences.

    The whole story wasn't right. The vote was already scheduled for Wednesday.
    Democrats claim they were told verbally there would be no vote...so Democrats are appealing to the idea that one can believe their word.

    Only one Democratic legislator can be said to have been at a 9/11 memorial at the time. It's unknown where the others were. The Post sure didn't know.

    One Dem Representative, Deb Butler...has used the opportunity to promote herself as outraged and yelling, etc.

  • #2
    Excuses

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by somnia View Post
      https://hotair.com/archives/ed-morri...e-cooper-veto/

      So the story published by the left-leaning anti-Trump newspaper, and which was circulated by other liberal sources was that in NC while Democrats were attending 9/11 memorials, the dastardly Republicans snuck into the legislature to override a veto, taking advantage of Democratic absences.

      The whole story wasn't right. The vote was already scheduled for Wednesday.
      Democrats claim they were told verbally there would be no vote...so Democrats are appealing to the idea that one can believe their word.
      Yeah, it's so much more plausible that the Dems just didn't care enough about the vote to show up.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Tyrrho View Post
        Yeah, it's so much more plausible that the Dems just didn't care enough about the vote to show up.
        Well that's where it comes into play where they were and how mindful they were of their job, if they were that concerned about such a vote. And how the WP didn't do its job...or perhaps it was doing another job, eh?

        A key thing as noted was the Washington Post reported *where* they were without knowing where they were. That's fine for a gossip column...but not what the Washington Post presents itself to be.

        And the Post had to adjust its story because of its journalistic malpractice. Not that it matters, because the false story lives on loudly.

        And if it was true that the Repubs pulled a fast one on an idle Democratic minority...are you saying cutthroats are complaining about cutthroatery? Pirates complaining about piracy? Are ya staking your flag to that?

        Some more background info too:

        https://www.newsobserver.com/news/po...235034672.html

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by somnia View Post
          https://hotair.com/archives/ed-morri...e-cooper-veto/

          So the story published by the left-leaning anti-Trump newspaper, and which was circulated by other liberal sources was that in NC while Democrats were attending 9/11 memorials, the dastardly Republicans snuck into the legislature to override a veto, taking advantage of Democratic absences.

          The whole story wasn't right. The vote was already scheduled for Wednesday.
          Democrats claim they were told verbally there would be no vote...so Democrats are appealing to the idea that one can believe their word.

          Only one Democratic legislator can be said to have been at a 9/11 memorial at the time. It's unknown where the others were. The Post sure didn't know.

          One Dem Representative, Deb Butler...has used the opportunity to promote herself as outraged and yelling, etc.
          The good news is that the state courts are replacing the extreme partisan gerrymanders the NC GOP drew with fairly drawn legislative districts. So this stunt is one of the last times the GOP will get to abuse its power in NC.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by somnia View Post
            Well that's where it comes into play where they were and how mindful they were of their job, if they were that concerned about such a vote. And how the WP didn't do its job...or perhaps it was doing another job, eh?

            A key thing as noted was the Washington Post reported *where* they were without knowing where they were. That's fine for a gossip column...but not what the Washington Post presents itself to be.

            And the Post had to adjust its story because of its journalistic malpractice. Not that it matters, because the false story lives on loudly.
            So you're saying the Post got part of a story wrong and had to correct it.

            Big deal. What news organization hasn't had that happen?

            And if it was true that the Repubs pulled a fast one on an idle Democratic minority...are you saying cutthroats are complaining about cutthroatery? Pirates complaining about piracy? Are ya staking your flag to that?
            Moving the goal posts here. You need to decide whether your point is that the Democrats are not telling the truth, or that it doesn't matter that they are.

            Hopefully, the Dems have learned a lesson here, which is not to trust the opposition.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Aagcobb View Post

              The good news is that the state courts are replacing the extreme partisan gerrymanders the NC GOP drew with fairly drawn legislative districts. So this stunt is one of the last times the GOP will get to abuse its power in NC.
              No rules were broken man.

              As for the maps...eh:

              https://economics21.org/north-caroli...-district-maps

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Tyrrho View Post
                So you're saying the Post got part of a story wrong and had to correct it.

                Big deal. What news organization hasn't had that happen?
                They didn't *get it wrong*...they published fake news. They had no idea where those Democrats were, but published they were at memorials...and that spread thru the news, social media, etc.

                And that's the meat of their story, the point of their story...it's supposed to give the reader the same vibe as *gang shoots up funeral of slain rival*. Except it was fake news.

                All they did as reporters was act as the press secretaries of Democrats.


                Originally posted by Tyrrho View Post
                Moving the goal posts here. You need to decide whether your point is that the Democrats are not telling the truth, or that it doesn't matter that they are.

                Hopefully, the Dems have learned a lesson here, which is not to trust the opposition.
                Nah the goalposts are fine...the Dems are just in a catch-22. Even if they are telling the truth they are in no position to complain.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by somnia View Post

                  No rules were broken man.

                  As for the maps...eh:

                  https://economics21.org/north-caroli...-district-maps
                  This doesn't really address the redistricting of NC state legislative lines. My guess is that with districts drawn without partisan considerations it will be extremely difficult for the NC GOP to gain a supermajority in the state legislature, and will give the Democrats a fair shot at gaining a legislative majority, especially in wave years like 2018 was. Perfect partisan balance can only be achieved if we introduce proportional representation into our elections, as I think we should.
                  Last edited by Aagcobb; 09-14-19, 02:42 PM.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X