Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Isolationism, foreign policy, and Trump

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...-trump/598360/

Is Trump the man for the job if avoiding foreign entanglements is a goal?

I would say for you, Trump is more of an idea, occupying a major space in the brain. It is an isolated space, with all your thoughts moving to its border, but not able to crack the safe space. Call it Trumpland or something. I heard they have it in real life now, in the Golan Heights. If you move their, watch for the airborne, death from above, rocket attacks.
    “An atheist has to know a lot more than I know. An atheist is someone who knows there is no God.”
    Carl Sagan

God is love.

Comment

Originally posted by simplicio

Edit .
      I used "their" incorrectly, so clearly not a grammar ranger.

But seriously, I object. Momma didn't have me in a chair, it was a barn.
      Last edited by CarmAdmin1; 10-10-19, 07:40 AM.
      “An atheist has to know a lot more than I know. An atheist is someone who knows there is no God.”
      Carl Sagan

God is love.

Comment

Originally posted by simplicio View Post

So far he has done better than most in modern history.

Comment

Originally posted by Simpletruther View Post

So far he has done better than most in modern history.
          Is it because of his vision and managerial style?

Comment

Is it because of his vision and managerial style?
            Not sure, he may simply perceive it will please the base most. He did speak of less military use while campaigning. Was it sincere? Who knows.

Comment

Hearsay!

Kyrie eleison

Comment

It is a hit piece doing assessments on their boss so to speak.I can do that with my boss. Tell his flaws and shortcomings. It is not healthy nor is it what they pay me for but i can still do it. Second-guessing. They do that with Trump all the time. Now they are pulling out of the tar pit of Syria and freeing American troops from getting sucked up in civil wars and foreign conflicts in places barely known to most Americans. The fact being Congress has never declared war, so if they are so for keeping troops there then why second guess Trump for pulling them out and perhaps bringing troops home? If they are so interested in protecting Kurds, then they can declare war. If not, why not just shut up? Damned if he do and damned if he don't.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesTheLesser View Post
                  I would say for you, Trump is more of an idea, occupying a major space in the brain. It is an isolated space, with all your thoughts moving to its border, but not able to crack the safe space. Call it Trumpland or something. I heard they have it in real life now, in the Golan Heights. If you move their, watch for the airborne, death from above, rocket attacks.
                  They call it the Twilight zone, inhabited by those with TDS, who cannot tell the difference between fact and fiction. Those who live in fear and anger and shriek at the sight of the color orange. Those afflicted with the virus on this board and in the hinterlands of society are about to enter another dimension. A dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land of imagination. Next stop—The Twilight Zone.
                  “When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.” - Socrates

"The concept of a "Personal God," interfering with natural events,...." No criticism of this distorted idea of God can be sharp enough". - Tillich

Comment

Isolationism, foreign policy, and Trump
                    Problem #1 - Trump is engaged all over the world. He is even negotiating with North Korea, the Taliban, and offered to with Iran. How in the freeking world is this "isolationism"? I swear, people have no idea what the term even means anymore.

Problem #2 - "Top Military Officers Unload on Trump". < --- Right there. These are the same people whose livelihoods depend on militarism and entanglements all over the world. They like to play chess with the lives of our youth to support this rebel group to attack that rebel group in far-flung mudholes that are irrelevant to our national security.

There are a few out there. I happen to like Rand Paul, who has the same anti-globalist sentiments as Trump but is far more sophisticated.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

Problem #1 - Trump is engaged all over the world. He is even negotiating with North Korea, the Taliban, and offered to with Iran. How in the freeking world is this "isolationism"? I swear, people have no idea what the term even means anymore.

Problem #2 - "Top Military Officers Unload on Trump". < --- Right there. These are the same people whose livelihoods depend on militarism and entanglements all over the world. They like to play chess with the lives of our youth to support this rebel group to attack that rebel group in far-flung mudholes that are irrelevant to our national security.

There are a few out there. I happen to like Rand Paul, who has the same anti-globalist sentiments as Trump but is far more sophisticated.
                      Those on the left hate Trump SOOOOOOO much that they criticize him for things that they would otherwise agree with if any Democratic president did it. Trump said during his campaign that he would get us out of endless wars that cost America lives. Those who profit off of wars such as Adam Schiff and others like him who take donations from companies who make weapons and/or are engaged in profiting from conflit hate this move. Their cash cow which is weapons and war machines and death will e diminished. They NEED wars and conflict.

"The concept of a "Personal God," interfering with natural events,...." No criticism of this distorted idea of God can be sharp enough". - Tillich

Comment

Originally posted by Deist View Post

Those on the left hate Trump SOOOOOOO much that they criticize him for things that they would otherwise agree with if any Democratic president did it. Trump said during his campaign that he would get us out of endless wars that cost America lives. Those who profit off of wars such as Adam Schiff and others like him who take donations from companies who make weapons and/or are engaged in profiting from conflit hate this move. Their cash cow which is weapons and war machines and death will e diminished. They NEED wars and conflict.
                        Unfortunately, they get a couple of examples to push their policy. Osama bin Laden was the example that 'if we don't go after the baddies on their turf, they will take it to our turf.' It neglects to address the problem that our presence in these mudholes is what motivates the Osama types. If we didn't have military and bases all over the Middle East, do you think these people would have any motivation to fly jets into our buildings? Not much.

And the policy of 'democracy building'. I hate this one. Hawks take the examples of Germany after WWI, and both Germany and Japan after WWII as their policy foundations. Yeah, fine. It worked back then. But more recent examples of 'democracy building' failure is Libya and Iraq. So should we create policy on examples from 80 or 100 years ago, or examples from the past couple of decades?

The world changes.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesTheLesser View Post
                          I would say that since you cannot say anything about the OP you just attack the poster.
                          It is the typical of the level of your discussion.

Comment

Thanks for posting a link to the article, very interesting.

Half way through the article, the author credits General Joseph Dunford, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, with "aggressively confronting" Trump after Trump made his decision to attack Iran, resulting in Trump backing down. General Dunford stepped down on September 30, 2019. A few days later, Trump announces that he is going to throw the US's Kurdish allies under the bus. I suspect these two developments are related.

In August, the "foreignpolicy.com" website published an article about General Dunford's upcoming retirement. The article had the title "The Last Adult Is Leaving the Room", with a first line of text of "Other military leaders got all the attention, but the quiet and unassuming Joseph Dunford handled Donald Trump best of all". The title and first line of text of this article are not exactly comforting.

I know nothing about General Mark Milley, who has replaced General Dunford as chairman of the Joint Chiefs. Hopefully, he will be willing to aggressively challenge Trump when Trump makes an idiotic military decision. But Trump's continued insistence on turning his back on America's Kurdish allies provides evidence to the contrary.
                            "Make America Rake Again"

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

Unfortunately, they get a couple of examples to push their policy. Osama bin Laden was the example that 'if we don't go after the baddies on their turf, they will take it to our turf.' It neglects to address the problem that our presence in these mudholes is what motivates the Osama types. If we didn't have military and bases all over the Middle East, do you think these people would have any motivation to fly jets into our buildings? Not much.

And the policy of 'democracy building'. I hate this one. Hawks take the examples of Germany after WWI, and both Germany and Japan after WWII as their policy foundations. Yeah, fine. It worked back then. But more recent examples of 'democracy building' failure is Libya and Iraq. So should we create policy on examples from 80 or 100 years ago, or examples from the past couple of decades?

The world changes.
                              It is micromanaging humans is what it is. People think they know best for others and are busy bodies like leftists, wanting to control and interfere in the lives of others. When people in other countries know that someone else will fight heir wars, they won't fight themselves. Just like in America here....when people know the government will feed them and their children, they won't feed themselves.

Humans want to stop wars and when they do, they create dependency and animosity.

Comment

Working...
                              X