Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

A major shift in the SBC and the Christian right?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by simplicio View Post

You cannot remember it happening, so therefore it did not happen. Makes sense.

I have responded to you on this before, and it was not a discussion, it was you finding excuses to avoid discussion. The format of the quieter debate section would make the discussion clear.
    Translation: "Quieter debate section"= so not as many people can see what a waffler you are.
    "Honor everyone. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honor the emperor.".....I Peter 2:17

Comment

Originally posted by Truth7t7 View Post
      I believe there are many apostate "Denominations" and their governing bodies.

Many have fallen to the acceptance of Homosexuality, I dont believe the SBC has?

The main grinder is Adultery in almost all denominations?

If a man marries a woman it's for life, till death do us part, that's "Biblical"

The denominations are plagued with "Adultery" that is to be divorced and remarried while the spouse lives.

Were the denominations in 1880, 1900, 1920, plagued with "Adultery" as it is today?

The preaching and teaching against "Adultery" is silenced in all denominations for filthy lucre $$$ that I have seen.

As we clearly see in 2019 that what is considered the church, its no different than the world outside?

The SBC is no different regarding "Adultery" than almost any other denomination that confesses Christ.

I believe all denominations are in the midst of Apostasy.

This dose'nt include the true church made up of God fearing individuals, that God has sealed and preserved for his glory.

Example: John Hagee at the time ran off with a girl in his Sunday class named "Diana Castro" 24 years old, as she was 12 years younger than Hagee 36, he divorced his wife Martha and also had 2 children.

Hagee left his previous church Trinity Baptist where he was pastor, with a letter that he had an affair and sinned, Hagee then married Diana Castro 1975.

Hagee then started a new church down the road, that's now a mega church Cornerstone San Antonio Texas 20,000 or so, he's still married to Diana and has a second family?

Yes Hagee's wife Martha and previous children live, a prime example of Adultery, as 20,000 are blindly following Hagee, without a word being said?

Would that have been allowed in 1880, 1900, 1920 Texas?

Would a person such as Hagee been able to start a church and grow while being in Adultery in 1880,1900, 1920, Texas?

2019 major "Apostasy"
      That's cos churches are entertainment businesses selling after-death salvation with money-back guarantees so that preacher men can buy private jets and fancy ladies.

... always look on the bright side of life - Idle Cleese

Comment

Originally posted by juglans1 View Post
        That's cos churches are entertainment businesses selling after-death salvation with money-back guarantees so that preacher men can buy private jets and fancy ladies.
        I fully agree 80% of places that call themselves churches would fit the bill of flock fleecers, not all though.

Comment

How many evangelicals, how many Baptists on CARM consider Rick Warren a Christian? Rick Warren has been discussed on CARM.

How many rank and file of the SBC will concede that Warren is a Christian?
          Its my opinion many people professing Christianity don't have a clue, however Jesus is the judge.

Warren in my opinion and research is a new age globalist, the "Purpose Driven Life" is nothing more than feel good "Tony Robbins" motivational speaking, you could throw Joel Osteen and a bunch of others in with them.

You don't fill parking lots and buildings such as Warrens Saddleback has done by "Preaching Truth".

Mega Churches are the safe have for those that live in active sin and pretend, Adultery, Fornication, etc.

Show me one sermon in the past 3 years where Warren Condemns Adultery, Homosexuality, or Same Sex Marriage?
          Last edited by Truth7t7; 01-06-19, 12:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Truth7t7 View Post
            Its my opinion many people professing Christianity don't have a clue, however Jesus is the judge.

Warren in my opinion and research is a new age globalist, the "Purpose Driven Life" is nothing more than feel good "Tony Robbins" motivational speaking, you could throw Joel Osteen and a bunch of others in with them.

You don't fill parking lots and buildings such as Warrens Saddleback has done by "Preaching Truth".

Mega Churches are the safe have for those that live in active sin and pretend, Adultery, Fornication, etc.

Show me one sermon in the past 3 years where Warren Condemns Adultery, Homosexuality, or Same Sex Marriage?
            For some enlightenment, google his prayer at Obama's first inauguration.
            "Honor everyone. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honor the emperor.".....I Peter 2:17

Comment

Originally posted by awsmmix View Post

For some enlightenment, google his prayer at Obama's first inauguration.
              Yes, a rather shocking prayer for a Christian to make. I mean the overt nod to the Muslims with the "compassionate and merciful" godlet.

https://www.americanrhetoric.com/spe...tionprayer.htm

Comment

Yes, a rather shocking prayer for a Christian to make. I mean the overt nod to the Muslims with the "compassionate and merciful" godlet.

https://www.americanrhetoric.com/spe...tionprayer.htm
                Ahhhh, simplicio. Would that you would respond to my questions regarding fundamentalist Christian beliefs, as quickly as you respond with your thinly veiled sarcasm about other things.

Comment

Ahhhh, simplicio. Would that you would respond to my questions regarding fundamentalist Christian beliefs, as quickly as you respond with your thinly veiled sarcasm about other things.
                  To avoid any misunderstanding of what I'm referring to, see your post #28 and my post #29 in this thread. I originally asked you those questions almost a month ago, bumped them 3 times and you still haven't answered them. Yet it took less than 24 hours to make the sarcastic response concerning Warren's inaugural prayer.

Comment

Since we have had the conversation before (such as it was) why should this time be any different?

If you want the conversation, set it up on the debate board. It is a reasonable request, or at least it was when it was the fundamentalist wanting the venue of the debate board.

I take it that you found the prayer of Rick Warren to be less than . . . .suitable, as have others.

Comment

Since we have had the conversation before (such as it was) why should this time be any different?

If you want the conversation, set it up on the debate board. It is a reasonable request, or at least it was when it was the fundamentalist wanting the venue of the debate board.

I take it that you found the prayer of Rick Warren to be less than . . . .suitable, as have others.
                      I've already responded to your idea of taking my 4 or 5 questions to the debate board. Its a stupid idea...5 questions and you can't or won't answer them. What is there to debate?

Edit to add: You're correct when you say, "Since we have had the conversation before (such as it was)..." There was no conversation. I asked the questions and you went into silent running, radio silence, duck and run. Is "simplicio" Catholic for "one who refuses to be pinned down?"

Comment

I've already responded to your idea of taking my 4 or 5 questions to the debate board. Its a stupid idea...5 questions and you can't or won't answer them. What is there to debate?

Edit to add: You're correct when you say, "Since we have had the conversation before (such as it was)..." There was no conversation. I asked the questions and you went into silent running, radio silence, duck and run. Is "simplicio" Catholic for "one who refuses to be pinned down?"

Your four or five questions do not represent fundamentalism, they describe orthodox Christianity. Which brings to the question if fundamentalist Christians are part of orthodox Christianity.

Note the several major points which fundamentalists are avoiding, in spite of the number of times I bump them up. Just one doctrine shows that fundamentalist Christians are outside of orthodoxy, prayer. The thread of Cas', Prayer in the NFL has a list of contradictory points which fundamentalists insisted on.

But the same Christians could articulate an orthodox view of prayer, which most all would likely accept, namely the idea that the internal disposition or attitude is primary when it comes to prayer. But note that the orthodox view is set aside when fundamentalist Christians meet someone they disagree with, such as Catholics.

You can sweep the question aside, claiming that it does not describe fundamentalist views. But many fundamentalists, over time and across several boards have insisted that those ideas were essential and fundamental to the faith.

The basic weakness of fundamentalism is that it is rooted in opposing the world, opposing others, opposing enemies of the faith, and not in the eternal truths Another example is [sola fide[/I], faith alone. It is a doctrine I disagree with, but do acknowledge is part of orthodoxy. But do fundamentalist Christians accept sola fide? It has so many exceptions and loopholes that it is useless as a doctrine, few actually hold it, those that do are condemned. Faith is not enough to save you if you make the sign of the cross, accept the scientific teachings of evolution, actually believe that life begins at conception (note the fundamentalist arguments against the Catholic teaching on IVF in which those few cells can be washed down the drain and tossed in the garbage), belive that those in heaven are alive (life after death? What an absurd idea!) and so on.

I want the debate section for a couple of reason: 1.) when James, a fundamentalist with integrity, demanded the debate board, it was reasonable, and 2.) the threads on the debate board survive more than three weeks and do not slip into the ether. In other words, it is as near a permanent record as can be had on CARM.

Comment

Your four or five questions do not represent fundamentalism, they describe orthodox Christianity. Which brings to the question if fundamentalist Christians are part of orthodox Christianity.

Note the several major points which fundamentalists are avoiding, in spite of the number of times I bump them up. Just one doctrine shows that fundamentalist Christians are outside of orthodoxy, prayer. The thread of Cas', Prayer in the NFL has a list of contradictory points which fundamentalists insisted on.

But the same Christians could articulate an orthodox view of prayer, which most all would likely accept, namely the idea that the internal disposition or attitude is primary when it comes to prayer. But note that the orthodox view is set aside when fundamentalist Christians meet someone they disagree with, such as Catholics.

You can sweep the question aside, claiming that it does not describe fundamentalist views. But many fundamentalists, over time and across several boards have insisted that those ideas were essential and fundamental to the faith.

The basic weakness of fundamentalism is that it is rooted in opposing the world, opposing others, opposing enemies of the faith, and not in the eternal truths Another example is [sola fide[/I], faith alone. It is a doctrine I disagree with, but do acknowledge is part of orthodoxy. But do fundamentalist Christians accept sola fide? It has so many exceptions and loopholes that it is useless as a doctrine, few actually hold it, those that do are condemned. Faith is not enough to save you if you make the sign of the cross, accept the scientific teachings of evolution, actually believe that life begins at conception (note the fundamentalist arguments against the Catholic teaching on IVF in which those few cells can be washed down the drain and tossed in the garbage), belive that those in heaven are alive (life after death? What an absurd idea!) and so on.

I want the debate section for a couple of reason: 1.) when James, a fundamentalist with integrity, demanded the debate board, it was reasonable, and 2.) the threads on the debate board survive more than three weeks and do not slip into the ether. In other words, it is as near a permanent record as can be had on CARM.
                          No, you want it taken to the debate section in order to provide legitimacy for your dodging. If you insist on waffling to avoid answering a few simple questions regarding the fundamentals of Christianity, why should anyone believe you would be any different in another venue? I certainly don't believe you would.

Comment

No, you want it taken to the debate section in order to provide legitimacy for your dodging. If you insist on waffling to avoid answering a few simple questions regarding the fundamentals of Christianity, why should anyone believe you would be any different in another venue? I certainly don't believe you would.
                            But you could have addressed the points I made in this. My view could be summed up as fundamentalism is not characterized by the fundamentals you listed, rather the drive to oppose whatever enemy is in view, a drive which expresses itself through the rejection of orthodoxy.

I did present a couple of points for you to latch onto for discussion. They are:
                            Prayer. What is the fundamentalist view on prayer, and why are views so widely divergent?

Sola fide. Why do so few fundamentalists seem to adhere to the doctrine?
                            My insistence on the debate forum is based on a few points:

1.) It was appropriate previously when James wanted that venue. Nope, no hypocrisy there!

2.) the debate forum is as close to a permanent record as there is on CARM. Few other boards have so little traffic.

3.) past experience in discussions with you. If a point or a question is made that you do not want answered, you manage to find some excuse, such as indentation, italicization, or any other excuse.

The debat board provides a record which is easily referenced. Te threads here slip off into the ether after a few weeks.

Comment

But you could have addressed the points I made in this. My view could be summed up as fundamentalism is not characterized by the fundamentals you listed, rather the drive to oppose whatever enemy is in view, a drive which expresses itself through the rejection of orthodoxy.

I did present a couple of points for you to latch onto for discussion. They are:
                              Prayer. What is the fundamentalist view on prayer, and why are views so widely divergent?

Sola fide. Why do so few fundamentalists seem to adhere to the doctrine?
                              My insistence on the debate forum is based on a few points:

1.) It was appropriate previously when James wanted that venue. Nope, no hypocrisy there!

2.) the debate forum is as close to a permanent record as there is on CARM. Few other boards have so little traffic.

3.) past experience in discussions with you. If a point or a question is made that you do not want answered, you manage to find some excuse, such as indentation, italicization, or any other excuse.

The debat board provides a record which is easily referenced. Te threads here slip off into the ether after a few weeks.

Comment

Why not place the discussion in a place which serves as close to a permanent record as there is on CARM? You know full well that I do not disagree with the fundamentals listed. I disagree that those define fundamentalism in any realistic way, nor do I accept that those fundamentals are descriptive of the fundamentalist's faith if one goes deeper than the shallowness of the bumper sticker.

Those may be fundamentals of Christianity, but they are not descriptive of a Christianity which is faithful to that of the apostles, it is a truncated Christianity.

ETA: I think it is instructive to note that no fundamentalist saw a problem when James thought the debate section was the appropriate venue. I would hate to think that the unbelievers here would see that as rank hypocrisy.
                                Last edited by simplicio; 02-02-19, 05:38 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X