Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Oumuamua: An Alien Spacecraft or..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• inertia
    started a topic Oumuamua: An Alien Spacecraft or..

Oumuamua: An Alien Spacecraft or..

From NBC News:

" Now a pair of Harvard researchers are raising the possibility that Oumuamua is an alien spacecraft. As they say in a paper to be published Nov. 12 in The Astrophysical Journal Letters, the object "may be a fully operational probe sent intentionally to Earth vicinity by an alien civilization." The researchers aren't claiming outright that aliens sent Oumuamua. But after a careful mathematical analysis of the way the interstellar object sped up as it shot past the sun, they say Oumuamua could be a spacecraft pushed through space by light falling on its surface — or, as they put it in the paper, a "lightsail of artificial origin."..."

" Loeb and his collaborator, Shmuel Bialy, a postdoctoral fellow at the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics, acknowledge that the alien spacecraft scenario is an "exotic" one. And perhaps not surprisingly, other space scientists have strong doubts about it. "

Who were the referees for this paper?

Now, this is an opportunity to initiate a new, out of whole cloth, alien spacecraft conspiracy "theory" with a peer-reviewed scientific paper to back it up. Of course, NASA is covering it up, the media are not going to tell us the whole truth, and other scientists were already paid to discredit the facts. Maybe the so-called tumbling is engineered to provide artificial gravity.
    Last edited by inertia; 11-05-18, 11:34 PM.

• inertia
    replied
    Originally posted by simplicio View Post

An interesting video. Is the change in velocity as it passed by the sun explained through Newton's mechanics, that is, does its behavior conform to that of a passive object?
    indeed

The rate change in velocity has been described as a "non-gravitational acceleration" and could be due to solar radiation pressure if the object had a small enough mass-to-area ratio. If it has a small enough mass-to-area ratio, what kind of object would it be? As explained in the video there are too many degrees of freedom in this tumbling object to constrain a well-resolved geometry. It could be a curved sheet, a hollow cone, or an ellipsoid conical shape among others. Asteroids and comets have mass-to-area ratios that are orders of magnitude larger than estimates for Oumuamua ( O - mooa - mooa ). Is it a new class of interstellar material?

Leave a comment:

• simplicio
    replied
    Originally posted by inertia View Post

Neither of us probably have the time to watch the following TED talk about it, but should one of us find some time it seems to be promising. It's just a "tad" longer than 13 minutes long.

---->
    An interesting video. Is the change in velocity as it passed by the sun explained through Newton's mechanics, that is, does its behavior conform to that of a passive object?

Leave a comment:

• inertia
    replied

I suppose both the picture and Oumuamua are objects that we cannot explain fully. But I cannot explain why the objects in our solar system would have a different velocity than objects from another section of the galaxy. I wonder if the article addressed the question of how we could recognize it, whether inertia and the effects of gravity account for the velocity
    as it passed through
    I guess we could try the phrase "Klaatu barada nikto", it worked in the movie, or maybe we ought to keep a collection of Slim Whitman 8 track tapes.
    Neither of us probably have the time to watch the following TED talk about it, but should one of us find some time it seems to be promising. It's just a "tad" longer than 13 minutes long.

---->

Leave a comment:

• simplicio
    replied

We both know that NASA is a way too serious organization for this kind of weirdness, but university professors with clout can have -speculative- fun occasionally.

As it turns out the Harvard researchers' speculation is probably wrong.

" Is this explanation likely? No, of course not. Is this hypothesis the result of hopeless crackpottery? No, that's not true either. Both the authors of the paper establishing the unexplained acceleration and the authors exploring the light sail idea are respected scientists with unblemished research histories and no hint of scientific misconduct or otherwise suspicious behavior. So, what could it be? Well, I suppose the extraterrestrial origin is possible but very unlikely. "

Extraordinary evidence is required here.

But what is this?

This photograph was released by the aviation threat identification program.

I suppose both the picture and Oumuamua are objects that we cannot explain fully. But I cannot explain why the objects in our solar system would have a different velocity than objects from another section of the galaxy. I wonder if the article addressed the question of how we could recognize it, whether inertia and the effects of gravity account for the velocity
    as it passed through

I guess we could try the phrase "Klaatu barada nikto", it worked in the movie, or maybe we ought to keep a collection of Slim Whitman 8 track tapes.

Leave a comment:

• inertia
    replied

But what better way to gin up support for NASA's science missions? Toss in some Roswell and Area 51 references and the headlines will grab more attention. All we got from the moon missions was a bunch of rocks and dirt, I cold sell NASA rocks and dirt for far less money. Now a mission to meet ET, would be really cool. I wonder if the Masons will be on board?
    We both know that NASA is a way too serious organization for this kind of weirdness, but university professors with clout can have -speculative- fun occasionally.

As it turns out the Harvard researchers' speculation is probably wrong.

" Is this explanation likely? No, of course not. Is this hypothesis the result of hopeless crackpottery? No, that's not true either. Both the authors of the paper establishing the unexplained acceleration and the authors exploring the light sail idea are respected scientists with unblemished research histories and no hint of scientific misconduct or otherwise suspicious behavior. So, what could it be? Well, I suppose the extraterrestrial origin is possible but very unlikely. "

Extraordinary evidence is required here.

But what is this?

This photograph was released by the aviation threat identification program.

Leave a comment:

• simplicio
    replied
    From NBC News:

" Now a pair of Harvard researchers are raising the possibility that Oumuamua is an alien spacecraft. As they say in a paper to be published Nov. 12 in The Astrophysical Journal Letters, the object "may be a fully operational probe sent intentionally to Earth vicinity by an alien civilization." The researchers aren't claiming outright that aliens sent Oumuamua. But after a careful mathematical analysis of the way the interstellar object sped up as it shot past the sun, they say Oumuamua could be a spacecraft pushed through space by light falling on its surface — or, as they put it in the paper, a "lightsail of artificial origin."..."

" Loeb and his collaborator, Shmuel Bialy, a postdoctoral fellow at the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics, acknowledge that the alien spacecraft scenario is an "exotic" one. And perhaps not surprisingly, other space scientists have strong doubts about it. "

Who were the referees for this paper?

Now, this is an opportunity to initiate a new, out of whole cloth, alien spacecraft conspiracy "theory" with a peer-reviewed scientific paper to back it up. Of course, NASA is covering it up, the media are not going to tell us the whole truth, and other scientists were already paid to discredit the facts. Maybe the so-called tumbling is engineered to provide artificial gravity.
    But what better way to gin up support for NASA's science missions? Toss in some Roswell and Area 51 references and the headlines will grab more attention. All we got from the moon missions was a bunch of rocks and dirt, I cold sell NASA rocks and dirt for far less money. Now a mission to meet ET, would be really cool. I wonder if the Masons will be on board?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X