Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

A protestant "real presence"?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A protestant "real presence"?

Often times in discussions I read that protestants reject the Real Presence of Christ in the Eucharist. I know from conversations that it's not that they doubt God's ability to turn bread and wine into His body, blood, soul and divinity; rather it's a question of whether He did or not.

My question is, in what way do protestants ask God "into their hearts" in a sinner's prayer? I can't imagine it's symbolic but I never presume to know other faiths. Is it a type of real presence? Is it the presence of the Holy Spirit only?

(I just looked up Billy Graham's example of a sinner's prayer since there is no standard.)

I love to learn, so thank you in advance for your thoughts!

BGM

Originally posted by bluegrassmandolin View Post
    Often times in discussions I read that protestants reject the Real Presence of Christ in the Eucharist. I know from conversations that it's not that they doubt God's ability to turn bread and wine into His body, blood, soul and divinity; rather it's a question of whether He did or not.

My question is, in what way do protestants ask God "into their hearts" in a sinner's prayer? I can't imagine it's symbolic but I never presume to know other faiths. Is it a type of real presence? Is it the presence of the Holy Spirit only?

(I just looked up Billy Graham's example of a sinner's prayer since there is no standard.)

BGM
    Perhaps the best answer is that they ask the Holy Spirit into their hearts, which is simply the gift of the Holy Spirit Christianity has always gifted through chrismation.

Comment

Originally posted by HTacianas View Post

Perhaps the best answer is that they ask the Holy Spirit into their hearts, which is simply the gift of the Holy Spirit Christianity has always gifted through chrismation.
      Thank you for the response. Would that be Grace? Is that what is meant by an "indwelling" of the Holy Spirit?

BGM

Comment

Thank you for the response. Would that be Grace? Is that what is meant by an "indwelling" of the Holy Spirit?

BGM
        When I was in Baptist Sunday school I was taught that God's grace was what drew us to Him, but that the Holy Spirit indwelled a person after their conversion. Here a detail, there a detail, that's what I was taught.

Comment

When I was in Baptist Sunday school I was taught that God's grace was what drew us to Him, but that the Holy Spirit indwelled a person after their conversion. Here a detail, there a detail, that's what I was taught.
          So is the indwelling symbolic?

BGM

Comment

So is the indwelling symbolic?

BGM
            No, the indwelling is not considered symbolic, but real. But that is a belief near universal among all Christians.

I think I understand your point though. If I do, the real presence is not considered literal by some Protestant groups, but the indwelling of the Holy Spirit is. And you are correct in that conclusion, as far as the beliefs among those groups go.

Comment

No, the indwelling is not considered symbolic, but real. But that is a belief near universal among all Christians.

I think I understand your point though. If I do, the real presence is not considered literal by some Protestant groups, but the indwelling of the Holy Spirit is. And you are correct in that conclusion, as far as the beliefs among those groups go.
              So I'm still left with God has the ability to be truly present in another form, be it an indwelling or in the Eucharist, the question remains... Whether He is or isn't.

Thank you for the insight!

BGM

Comment

So I'm still left with God has the ability to be truly present in another form, be it an indwelling or in the Eucharist, the question remains... Whether He is or isn't.

Thank you for the insight!

BGM
                Yes, the question remains. Christianity's answer to it has always been that the indwelling of the Holy Spirit in the believer is quite real and literal while the presence of Christ in the Eucharist is quite real and literal. Some Protestants hold to that belief while some don't.

Comment

BGM
                  I'm guessing, but maybe the disconnect is due to the perceived difference between spirit and matter. A spiritual presence is not tangible, nor visible, nor measurable - spiritual presence does not violate or challenge our normal perceptions. God Incarnate is different: body and blood are tangible, visible, measurable. A real presence, which is not tangible, nor visible, nor measurable, contradicts common sense and imagination. It is reasonable to speak of a "real presence" in a spiritual way, but not in a material way. A symbolic reality is acceptable to the modern mind - bread symbolic of a material body, which could conceivably communicate a spiritual presence - no problem.

My experience has been that to interject the actual Catholic teaching on the real presence does not break through into the realm of the possible with them - The teaching that it is not the mortal pre-resurrection body, but the resurrected and glorified presence of Christ, Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of Jesus which is communicated in the Eucharist, and that reality is not the same as, is not subject to the same laws of physics as, is not comparable to, other ordinary material matter. In the Resurrection, the distinction between spirit and matter is yet to be clarified; the physics of matter yet to be written.
                  ... For salvation is nearer to us now than when we first believed;...
                  But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh, to gratify its desires. (Rom 13)

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas View Post

I'm guessing, but maybe the disconnect is due to the perceived difference between spirit and matter. A spiritual presence is not tangible, nor visible, nor measurable - spiritual presence does not violate or challenge our normal perceptions. God Incarnate is different: body and blood are tangible, visible, measurable. A real presence, which is not tangible, nor visible, nor measurable, contradicts common sense and imagination. It is reasonable to speak of a "real presence" in a spiritual way, but not in a material way. A symbolic reality is acceptable to the modern mind - bread symbolic of a material body, which could conceivably communicate a spiritual presence - no problem.

My experience has been that to interject the actual Catholic teaching on the real presence does not break through into the realm of the possible with them - The teaching that it is not the mortal pre-resurrection body, but the resurrected and glorified presence of Christ, Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of Jesus which is communicated in the Eucharist, and that reality is not the same as, is not subject to the same laws of physics as, is not comparable to, other ordinary material matter. In the Resurrection, the distinction between spirit and matter is yet to be clarified; the physics of matter yet to be written.
                    Thank you Thomas for your very well articulated answer. If I'm understanding correctly, a sinner's prayer, such as Billy Graham's version, asks God "into their hearts", is there a change in the substance? Since it doesn't seem to be merely symbolic, could it be explained by the "physics of matter yet to be written" in much the same way as the Holy Eucharist? I'm not suspecting that protestants believe asking God "into their hearts" would be a body, blood, soul and divinity presence, but I do wonder what the similarities are.

BGM

Comment

Thank you Thomas for your very well articulated answer. If I'm understanding correctly, a sinner's prayer, such as Billy Graham's version, asks God "into their hearts", is there a change in the substance? Since it doesn't seem to be merely symbolic, could it be explained by the "physics of matter yet to be written" in much the same way as the Holy Eucharist? I'm not suspecting that protestants believe asking God "into their hearts" would be a body, blood, soul and divinity presence, but I do wonder what the similarities are.

BGM
                      I suspect that they mean an entirely spiritual presence of God into their completely human "hearts" - which I suppose means the "very center" of their being, their mind and will, i.e their soul. So (again guessing) they would mean a commingling with no merging of substance, divine with human, at all. I don't think they would allow anything like the "deification" or theosis of Catholic theology (rarely spoken of publicly in the west, but part of our tradition nevertheless) to be approached, at all. I think they would be repulsed at the thought of deification.
                      But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh, to gratify its desires. (Rom 13)

Comment

I suspect that they mean an entirely spiritual presence of God into their completely human "hearts" - which I suppose means the "very center" of their being, their mind and will, i.e their soul. So (again guessing) they would mean a commingling with no merging of substance, divine with human, at all. I don't think they would allow anything like the "deification" or theosis of Catholic theology (rarely spoken of publicly in the west, but part of our tradition nevertheless) to be approached, at all. I think they would be repulsed at the thought of deification.
                        So the existence of the spiritual presence of God acquired/requested (and presumably granted) through the sinner's prayer cleans the soul making it sinless for one "saved"?

BGM

Comment

So the existence of the spiritual presence of God acquired/requested (and presumably granted) through the sinner's prayer cleans the soul making it sinless for one "saved"?

BGM
                          The details of protestant salvation continue to confuse me.... you'll have to ask one of them, to get one opinion anyway.

Comment

The details of protestant salvation continue to confuse me.... you'll have to ask one of them, to get one opinion anyway.
                            Hopefully, I'll get a response. Thank you Thomas!

BGM

Comment

Hopefully, I'll get a response. Thank you Thomas!

BGM
                              Blessings to you.

Comment

Working...
                              X