Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

"Do not neglect meeting together as some have made a habit..." Heb 10 25

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by AlFin View Post

Well, for starters, verses 26-31 are not based on whether or not one assembles with other believers. They are true regardless of whether one is in a group or alone.

Heb 10:24-25
    24 And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. 25 Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another — and all the more as you see the Day approaching.

What I highlighted in blue can only happen when people are assembled together.
    That's not how I read it. The Catholic Church Teaches that missing the Mass is a mortal sin.

Heb 10:25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

The Apostle says that we should encourage ourselves to assemble and not to neglect the assembly.

26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,

Note that he describes it as a willful or intentional sin to do so. In fact, if we intentionally miss the Mass, there is no other sacrifice that will wash away our sins. So, he equates the Christian assembly, which we call the Mass, with Christ's sacrifice for our sins.

27 But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.

And if we miss the Mass, we can look forward to going to judgment and fiery indignation. Does that sound like the second death?

28 He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses:

Those who missed the Jewish assembly suffered the death penalty. Death of the body.

29 Of how much sorer punishment,

Those who miss the Christian assembly deserve a worse punishment. What could be worse than death of the body? Death of the soul.

suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?

Now, if the Eucharist is not the Real Presence of Jesus Christ, then why does he say that those who miss the Mass are guilty of offending the Body and Blood of Christ?
    And, this is the key to understanding why the Catholic Church says it is a mortal sin to miss the Mass. Protestants don't believe the Eucharist is anything but a piece of bread or cup of wine. But we believe in the Real Presence of Jesus Christ in the Holy Eucharist. Therefore, any Catholic who prefers to watch the Super Bowl on Super Sunday and neglects the Mass, has thereby despised Jesus Christ's sacrifice upon the Cross.

30 For we know him that hath said, Vengeance belongeth unto me, I will recompense, saith the Lord. And again, The Lord shall judge his people.
    31 It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

And as a result, the individual who misses the Mass, has made himself God's enemy. God will take vengeance upon him for his neglect of Christ's sacrifice.
    There are some things in Scripture which are difficult to understand. But this one seems plain as day.
    Pray!

Comment

• Originally posted by Calsgal View Post

Well Rome has said not "gathering in corporate worship" on Sunday is a mortal sin
      Because it's true. Listen:

Heb 10:25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

The Apostle says that we should encourage ourselves to assemble and not to neglect the assembly.

26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,

Note that he describes it as a willful or intentional sin to do so. In fact, if we intentionally miss the Mass, there is no other sacrifice that will wash away our sins. So, he equates the Christian assembly, which we call the Mass, with Christ's sacrifice for our sins.

27 But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.

And if we miss the Mass, we can look forward to going to judgment and fiery indignation. Does that sound like the second death?

Those who missed the Jewish assembly suffered the death penalty. Death of the body.

Those who miss the Christian assembly deserve a worse punishment. What could be worse than death of the body? Death of the soul.

suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?

Now, if the Eucharist is not the Real Presence of Jesus Christ, then why does he say that those who miss the Mass are guilty of offending the Body and Blood of Christ?
      And, this is the key to understanding why the Catholic Church says it is a mortal sin to miss the Mass. Protestants don't believe the Eucharist is anything but a piece of bread or cup of wine. But we believe in the Real Presence of Jesus Christ in the Holy Eucharist. Therefore, any Catholic who prefers to watch the Super Bowl on Super Sunday and neglects the Mass, has thereby despised Jesus Christ's sacrifice upon the Cross.

30 For we know him that hath said, Vengeance belongeth unto me, I will recompense, saith the Lord. And again, The Lord shall judge his people.

And as a result, the individual who misses the Mass, has made himself God's enemy. God will take vengeance upon him for his neglect of Christ's sacrifice.

When was the last time you went to Mass?

and will send you to hell..
      Only if you continue in that sin without repentance.

and yet only about 50% "obey"
      Regardless of their disobedience, the Catholic Teaching is correct.
      Pray!

Comment

• Originally posted by De Maria View Post

Because it's true. Listen:

When was the last time you went to Mass?

Only if you continue in that sin without repentance.

Regardless of their disobedience, the Catholic Teaching is correct.
        The Sabbath is a type and shadow of the New Covenant

“There remains, then, a Sabbath-rest for the people of God; for anyone who enters God’s rest also rests from his own work, just as God did from his” (Hebrews 4:9-10)

“Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day. These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ” (Colossians 2:16-17)

God gave man the sabbath as a day of rest ...

Then Jesus declared, “The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath.Therefore, the Son of Man is Lord even of the Sabbath.”(Mark2:27-28)

I believe the "mass" is an abomination before God ...If I must attend a RC funeral ..I sit and end scripture through it.. .and beg the forgiveness of God fo my presence there

Have I now become your enemy because I tell you the truth ? Gal 4:16

Comment

“There remains, then, a Sabbath-rest for the people of God; for anyone who enters God’s rest also rests from his own work, just as God did from his” (Hebrews 4:9-10)

“Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day. These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ” (Colossians 2:16-17)

Then Jesus declared, “The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath.Therefore, the Son of Man is Lord even of the Sabbath.”(Mark2:27-28)

I believe the "mass" is an abomination before God ...If I must attend a RC funeral ..I sit and end scripture through it.. .and beg the forgiveness of God fo my presence there
          what do you think of my post

https://forums.carm.org/vb5/forum/th...il#post5825099

Comment

Yes. Let me show you what the New Covenant is:

New International Version
            This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.

New Living Translation
            for this is my blood, which confirms the covenant between God and his people. It is poured out as a sacrifice to forgive the sins of many.

English Standard Version
            for this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.

Berean Study Bible
            This is My blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.

Berean Literal Bible
            For this is My blood of the covenant, being poured out for many, for forgiveness of sins.

New American Standard Bible
            for this is My blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for forgiveness of sins.

King James Bible
            For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.

Christian Standard Bible
            For this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.

The Eucharist is the New Covenant. Just as one had to worship on the Sabbath in the OT, now one has to gather and worship during the Eucharistic celebration.

Let us examine that claim. What does this really say:

Hebrews 4:1 Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.

Again, the warning to FEAR, lest the believers should fall short of entering into God's rest. What is God's rest, then? If it is to be saved by faith alone, shouldn't you be assured of entering God's rest? Apparently not.

2 For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.

Many of the OT Jews fell away because though they heard the Good News, they did not put their faith in it. But what does it mean to "mix with faith"? Let's see.

3 For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.

What did He say back then:

Psalm 95:7 For he is our God; and we are the people of his pasture, and the sheep of his hand. To day if ye will hear his voice,
            8 Harden not your heart, as in the provocation, and as in the day of temptation in the wilderness:
            9 When your fathers tempted me, proved me, and saw my work.
            10 Forty years long was I grieved with this generation, and said, It is a people that do err in their heart, and they have not known my ways:
            11 Unto whom I sware in my wrath that they should not enter into my rest.

He didn't say, "if". He said, they would not enter into His rest. So, they did not please God. Why?

4 For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.

Of course, this is a reference to the 7th day, when God rested and said everything was good.

5 And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest.
            6 Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief:

So, some entered. But some didn't. This is a reference to those who fell at meriba because of unbelief and the earth swallowed them up.

7 Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts.
            8 For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day.

So, then, the Jews did not rest, even after they entered the Promised Land. They still had to work until they entered their rest on another day. What day is that? Let's jump to Hebrews 11:

Hebrews 11:39 And these all, having obtained a good report through faith, received not the promise:
            40 God having provided some better thing for us, that they without us should not be made perfect.

They did not enter their rest, that is heaven, until Jesus died upon the Cross.

Hebrews 9:15 And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance.

9 There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.

We are the new People of God:

1 Peter 2:10 Which in time past were not a people, but are now the people of God: which had not obtained mercy, but now have obtained mercy.

And our rest day is in heaven, with God.

10 For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.

And we are not to cease from our works until we have died and gone to heaven. As the Scripture clearly says:

Romans 2:6Who will render to every man according to his deeds:
            7 To them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honour and immortality, eternal life:

11 Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest,

Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest. Let us work, therefore, to gain eternal life. Let us strive, then, in order to be saved.

lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.

Because claims of faith alone are dead. Faith without works does not save anyone.

Heb 10:35 Cast not away therefore your confidence, which hath great recompence of reward.
            36 For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise.
            37 For yet a little while, and he that shall come will come, and will not tarry.
            38 Now the just shall live by faith: but if any man draw back, my soul shall have no pleasure in him.
            39 But we are not of them who draw back unto perdition; but of them that believe to the saving of the soul.

The reality is in Christ because Christ is Really Present in the Holy Eucharist.

Yeah, and Jesus has turned the Sabbath from Saturday celebration to Sunday Eucharist.

You can believe what you want, but you will bear the consequences of your beliefs:

Heb 10:18 Now where remission of these is, there is no more offering for sin.
            19 Having therefore, brethren, boldness to enter into the holiest by the blood of Jesus,
            20 By a new and living way, which he hath consecrated for us, through the veil, that is to say, his flesh;
            21 And having an high priest over the house of God;
            22 Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water.
            23 Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised
            24 And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works:
            25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.
            29 Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?
            Pray!

Comment

This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.

New Living Translation
              for this is my blood, which confirms the covenant between God and his people. It is poured out as a sacrifice to forgive the sins of many.

English Standard Version
              for this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.

Berean Study Bible
              This is My blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.

Berean Literal Bible
              For this is My blood of the covenant, being poured out for many, for forgiveness of sins.

for this is My blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for forgiveness of sins.

King James Bible
              For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.

Christian Standard Bible
              For this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.

The Eucharist is the New Covenant. Just as one had to worship on the Sabbath in the OT, now one has to gather and worship during the Eucharistic celebration.

Hebrews 4:1 Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.

Again, the warning to FEAR, lest the believers should fall short of entering into God's rest. What is God's rest, then? If it is to be saved by faith alone, shouldn't you be assured of entering God's rest? Apparently not.

2 For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.

Many of the OT Jews fell away because though they heard the Good News, they did not put their faith in it. But what does it mean to "mix with faith"? Let's see.

3 For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.

Psalm 95:7 For he is our God; and we are the people of his pasture, and the sheep of his hand. To day if ye will hear his voice,
              8 Harden not your heart, as in the provocation, and as in the day of temptation in the wilderness:
              10 Forty years long was I grieved with this generation, and said, It is a people that do err in their heart, and they have not known my ways:

He didn't say, "if". He said, they would not enter into His rest. So, they did not please God. Why?

4 For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.

Of course, this is a reference to the 7th day, when God rested and said everything was good.

6 Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief:

So, some entered. But some didn't. This is a reference to those who fell at meriba because of unbelief and the earth swallowed them up.

7 Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts.
              8 For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day.

So, then, the Jews did not rest, even after they entered the Promised Land. They still had to work until they entered their rest on another day. What day is that? Let's jump to Hebrews 11:

Hebrews 11:39 And these all, having obtained a good report through faith, received not the promise:
              40 God having provided some better thing for us, that they without us should not be made perfect.

Hebrews 9:15 And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance.

1 Peter 2:10 Which in time past were not a people, but are now the people of God: which had not obtained mercy, but now have obtained mercy.

10 For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.

And we are not to cease from our works until we have died and gone to heaven. As the Scripture clearly says:

7 To them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honour and immortality, eternal life:

Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest. Let us work, therefore, to gain eternal life. Let us strive, then, in order to be saved.

Because claims of faith alone are dead. Faith without works does not save anyone.

Heb 10:35 Cast not away therefore your confidence, which hath great recompence of reward.
              36 For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise.
              37 For yet a little while, and he that shall come will come, and will not tarry.
              38 Now the just shall live by faith: but if any man draw back, my soul shall have no pleasure in him.
              39 But we are not of them who draw back unto perdition; but of them that believe to the saving of the soul.

The reality is in Christ because Christ is Really Present in the Holy Eucharist.

Yeah, and Jesus has turned the Sabbath from Saturday celebration to Sunday Eucharist.

You can believe what you want, but you will bear the consequences of your beliefs:

19 Having therefore, brethren, boldness to enter into the holiest by the blood of Jesus,
              20 By a new and living way, which he hath consecrated for us, through the veil, that is to say, his flesh;
              22 Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water.
              23 Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised
              25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.
              29 Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?
              So it's not about whether you attend 'church' as the OP would lead one to believe - it is about 'not attending mass'. The End.

Comment

New Living Translation

English Standard Version

Berean Study Bible

Berean Literal Bible

King James Bible

Christian Standard Bible

Catholics have no clue what the New Covenant is.. they still are living under the Old Covenant

The blood of Christ sealed the New Covenant
                Have I now become your enemy because I tell you the truth ? Gal 4:16

Comment

• Originally posted by Bonlee View Post

So it's not about whether you attend 'church' as the OP would lead one to believe - it is about 'not attending mass'. The End.
                  That is correct. The Mass is the Sacrifice of Jesus Christ. The one Sacrifice which remains for your sins.
                  Pray!

Comment

That is correct. The Mass is the Sacrifice of Jesus Christ. The one Sacrifice which remains for your sins.
                    The Catholic church's 'Mass' is not the sacrifice of Jesus Christ for me or my sins as I am not Catholic.....the 'Mass' is for you and your sins.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bonlee View Post

The Catholic church's 'Mass' is not the sacrifice of Jesus Christ for me or my sins ....
                      Yes, it is. When you reject the Mass, you reject the once for all Sacrifice of Jesus Christ upon the Cross.
                      Pray!

Comment

Yes, it is. When you reject the Mass, you reject the once for all Sacrifice of Jesus Christ upon the Cross.
                        No, it is not.

Comment

Working...
                        X