Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Christmas and Easter are pagan holidays

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas and Easter are pagan holidays

What else do I need to say.
    Christmas is the birth of the sun god, and Easter is a Roman Catholic attempt to replace the Passover.

So what???? Even if you are right what harm are Christians doing today in celebrating the birth of our Savior with the beautiful music, praise, decorations, family gatherings and all that goes with the Christmas season. The humbug belief that we are celebrating some paganism is ludacris. All you are doing is missing out on a wonderful blessing and trying to cause others to become like you.

The same thought goes for celebrating the Resurrection of our Savior. It is a reminder to all the World that Jesus Christ is alive. Amen!

The wearing of the tie comes from either pageantry, Papal Rome or Muslim influence. It appears the Croatian Vallerists started the fad in the 1700s. Sacrificing animals was done by pagans, so should that act of Bible characters be criticized by you also?.
    Blessed are the cracked, for they are the ones who let in the light.

Comment

This is not true. On Christmas, Christians celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ, not some sun god. Although Jesus is the Sun of Righteousness.

And Easter is the celebration of Jesus' resurrection, the oldest church holy day celebrated, since about the late first century. In fact, we worship on Sunday as a sort of mini-Resurrection Day.

There is some fairly new evidence as to why we celebrate Christmas when we do:

http://www.touchstonemag.com/archive...id=16-10-012-v

I also read this many years ago, though I do not know how authored it:

I can tell you firsthand, I have never found those that hold a strict anti-Christmas position to be more spiritual, more victorious, more blessed of God or better soul winners than others. If anything, they become victims of their self-imposed legalism. They labor to make issues out of things that are not real issues.
      One can substitute "Easter" for "Christmas" as well.

What makes a holiday "pagan" is HOW and WHAT is celebrated. I don't celebrate the days getting longer at Christmas, but Jesus' birth--the wondrous event that changed the world forever. I do so with prayers, praise, and song!

As for Easter, on that day I celebrate how Christ overcame sin, the devil, and death itself so we too can be raised from the dead to heaven, after we die, to live with the Lord forever. That is something to celebrate!
      "I am tired of being treated like a mushroom--they keep me in the dark and feed me manure!" (reasons why a Mormon was leaving the LDS church)
      "What people don't realize is how much religion costs. They think faith is a big electric blanket, when of course, it is the cross."--Flannery O'Connor
      "I am a Missouri Synod Lutheran--NOT REFORMED/CALVINIST. PLEASE learn the difference."
      "The truth may hurt for a little while, but a lie hurts forever."--anonymous
      "If Jesus isn't THE WAY, then there is nothing else."--Bob

Comment

Both posts say about the same thing.

Which is

WE MAN make our Holidays and God will just have to deal with what we give Him.

The Bible and God in particular have a LOT to say, on the subject of adopting Pagan Holidays.

Both post are saying God can take it or leave it, the Bible says he will leave it, and find you offensive to His senses.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonnie View Post
          This is not true. On Christmas, Christians celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ, not some sun god. Although Jesus is the Sun of Righteousness.

And Easter is the celebration of Jesus' resurrection, the oldest church holy day celebrated, since about the late first century. In fact, we worship on Sunday as a sort of mini-Resurrection Day.

There is some fairly new evidence as to why we celebrate Christmas when we do:

http://www.touchstonemag.com/archive...id=16-10-012-v

I also read this many years ago, though I do not know how authored it:

One can substitute "Easter" for "Christmas" as well.

What makes a holiday "pagan" is HOW and WHAT is celebrated. I don't celebrate the days getting longer at Christmas, but Jesus' birth--the wondrous event that changed the world forever. I do so with prayers, praise, and song!

As for Easter, on that day I celebrate how Christ overcame sin, the devil, and death itself so we too can be raised from the dead to heaven, after we die, to live with the Lord forever. That is something to celebrate!
          Bonnie, I think this is what you are referring to: https://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Rec.../dp/0916938131

It is fundamentally necessary and healthy for Christians to acknowledge that God foreknows nothing uncertainly, but that He foresees, purposes, and does all things according to His own immutable, eternal and infallible will. This bombshell knocks "free-will" flatů

Martin Luther The Bondage of the Will

Comment

Originally posted by Forgiven Child View Post
            Both posts say about the same thing.

Which is

WE MAN make our Holidays and God will just have to deal with what we give Him.

The Bible and God in particular have a LOT to say, on the subject of adopting Pagan Holidays.

Both post are saying God can take it or leave it, the Bible says he will leave it, and find you offensive to His senses.
            Did you not read my post and the link? What makes a holiday pagan is who and what are celebrated and how. Come to my church on Christmas Eve and you will see nothing pagan in the worship service. It is always entirely focused on Jesus Christ and His birth and WHY He had to be born into the world.

You may also want to read Romans 14 and 2 Corinthians. You choose not to observe Christ's birth and Resurrection when the rest of the world does. That is fine. To the Lord you do not observe. But to the Lord we DO. We are not to judge each other in these things.
            "I am tired of being treated like a mushroom--they keep me in the dark and feed me manure!" (reasons why a Mormon was leaving the LDS church)
            "What people don't realize is how much religion costs. They think faith is a big electric blanket, when of course, it is the cross."--Flannery O'Connor
            "I am a Missouri Synod Lutheran--NOT REFORMED/CALVINIST. PLEASE learn the difference."

Comment

Originally posted by Beloved Daughter View Post

Bonnie, I think this is what you are referring to: https://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Rec.../dp/0916938131

Thanks, but no, I was not referring to that book, but the article in the link I provided. But thanks.

There is no question both holidays have been 9ver-commercialized, but it doesn't mean it has to bbe that way in our hearts and homes. We enjoy decorating our home for Christmas and putting up a tree, and making it look pretty--all in the name of the One Whose birth we celebrate at this time of year. We enjoy exchanging gifts and getting together with family to share a special dinner. None of these things is wrong or sinful.

And we especially enjoy goi g to Christmas Eve and Easter services--can two most beautiful holy days of the year.

Comment

Christmas and Easter are pagan holidays What else do I need to say.
                Well, for starters, you'd need to provide proof that you know another date when Jesus was born and resurrected. Otherwise, you're just stating an opinion with no facts to back you up.

Christmas is the birth of the sun god, and Easter is a Roman Catholic attempt to replace the Passover.
                On the contrary, Christmas is the date of the birth of Jesus Christ and Easter or the Paschal Feast, is the date that Jesus was resurrected from the dead. It is all recorded in Scripture. Now, if you have scripture of your own delineating the sun god festival and the reason for it and also the pagan origins of Easter, then produce them and let's compare which are credible and which are mere declarations without proof.
                Pray!

Comment

Did you not read my post and the link? What makes a holiday pagan is who and what are celebrated and how. Come to my church on Christmas Eve and you will see nothing pagan in the worship service. It is always entirely focused on Jesus Christ and His birth and WHY He had to be born into the world.

You may also want to read Romans 14 and 2 Corinthians. You choose not to observe Christ's birth and Resurrection when the rest of the world does. That is fine. To the Lord you do not observe. But to the Lord we DO. We are not to judge each other in these things.
                  So you are giving me peer pressure as a reason to disobey God. "the rest of the WORLD Does".
                  You are also perfectly fine with Halloween as long as you dress Biblical.

Christ was not born on Dec 25, if you want to research his exact date of Birth, you could do this. It is the day in which three Planets converged to create a New Star in the Heavens, the Brightest thing in the sky behind the Sun and Moon. It happened in BC 2-6, and you can actually find when these 3 Planets aligned to create the biggest star ever seen.
                  Heck I could be wrong, Maybe 4 Planets aligned, either way you can research this day, and find the ACTUAL Day of Christs Birth.

Everything about Christmas is built upon a False Foundation, and it has been built this way DELIBERATELY.

You and your church are building upon a False Foundation. You say it does not matter, But both God and the devil know that these things matter.

Comment

So you are giving me peer pressure as a reason to disobey God. "the rest of the WORLD Does".
                    You are also perfectly fine with Halloween as long as you dress Biblical.

Christ was not born on Dec 25, if you want to research his exact date of Birth, you could do this. It is the day in which three Planets converged to create a New Star in the Heavens, the Brightest thing in the sky behind the Sun and Moon. It happened in BC 2-6, and you can actually find when these 3 Planets aligned to create the biggest star ever seen.
                    Heck I could be wrong, Maybe 4 Planets aligned, either way you can research this day, and find the ACTUAL Day of Christs Birth.

Everything about Christmas is built upon a False Foundation, and it has been built this way DELIBERATELY.

You and your church are building upon a False Foundation. You say it does not matter, But both God and the devil know that these things matter.
                    I gave you no such thing. In fact, I said that to the Lord, you do not observe, and to the Lord, we DO. That that was fine.,And I said we are not to judge each other in,these things. So, how is that "peer pressure" to MAKE you disobey?

And nowhere does the Bible forbid the church from observing Jand celebratimg Jesus's birth and Resurrection on special days in the church year. So, you had better read Romans 14 and Colossians 2. And that link, which explain achy Dec. 25 was chosen. And it has nothing to do with pagan holidays.

And I know perfectly well Dec. 25 is not when Jesus was born. But we are not celebrating December 25, but Jesus's birth. And that just happens to be the date chosen to observe His birth. If you read my link, you will see why. In other words, we are not celebrating a date on the calendar, but the EVENT of Christ coming to earth as a baby--the Lord of heaven and earth humbling himself so He could suffer, bleed, and die as a man, to pay for our sins so we can be forgiven them.

Comment

Originally posted by De Maria View Post

Well, for starters, you'd need to provide proof that you know another date when Jesus was born and resurrected. Otherwise, you're just stating an opinion with no facts to back you up.

On the contrary, Christmas is the date of the birth of Jesus Christ and Easter or the Paschal Feast, is the date that Jesus was resurrected from the dead. It is all recorded in Scripture. Now, if you have scripture of your own delineating the sun god festival and the reason for it and also the pagan origins of Easter, then produce them and let's compare which are credible and which are mere declarations without proof.
                      Actually Jesus was Crucified on a Passover Day, the next day after Passover is always a Sabbath. A second Passover the Weekly one fell while He was in the tomb.
                      So Jesus was in the tomb
                      All of Wednesday night
                      All of Thursday,
                      All of Thursday night
                      All of Friday
                      All of Friday Night
                      All of Saturday

And arose at the end of Saturday at the beginning of night a Full 3 Nights and 3 Days after the Crucifixion.

As far as Christmas, Jesus was born when Shepherds were in the Field, and at a time of the census,

Comment

I gave you no such thing. In fact, I said that to the Lord, you do not observe, and to the Lord, we DO. That that was fine.,And I said we are not to judge each other in,these things. So, how is that "peer pressure" to MAKE you disobey?

And nowhere does the Bible forbid the church from observing Jand celebratimg Jesus's birth and Resurrection on special days in the church year. So, you had better read Romans 14 and Colossians 2. And that link, which explain achy Dec. 25 was chosen. And it has nothing to do with pagan holidays.

And I know perfectly well Dec. 25 is not when Jesus was born. But we are not celebrating December 25, but Jesus's birth. And that just happens to be the date chosen to observe His birth. If you read my link, you will see why. In other words, we are not celebrating a date on the calendar, but the EVENT of Christ coming to earth as a baby--the Lord of heaven and earth humbling himself so He could suffer, bleed, and die as a man, to pay for our sins so we can be forgiven them.
                        SO again you have said we HUMANS have chosen this date, God will just have to deal with it.

Comment

Thanks, but no, I was not referring to that book, but the article in the link I provided. But thanks.

There is no question both holidays have been 9ver-commercialized, but it doesn't mean it has to bbe that way in our hearts and homes. We enjoy decorating our home for Christmas and putting up a tree, and making it look pretty--all in the name of the One Whose birth we celebrate at this time of year. We enjoy exchanging gifts and getting together with family to share a special dinner. None of these things is wrong or sinful.

And we especially enjoy goi g to Christmas Eve and Easter services--can two most beautiful holy days of the year.
                          Jer 10:1 Hear ye the word which the LORD speaketh unto you, O house of Israel:
                          Jer 10:2 Thus saith the LORD, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them.
                          Jer 10:3 For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe.
                          Jer 10:4 They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not.

The Sign of heaven in this case is the Sun returning, as Christmas day is the first day it is visible to the naked eye that the Solstice has passed.

Comment

Actually Jesus was Crucified on a Passover Day,
                            The Passover is a weeklong feast.

the next day after Passover is always a Sabbath.
                            That is why He was rushed to be buried in a new tomb.

A second Passover the Weekly one fell while He was in the tomb.
                            So Jesus was in the tomb
                            All of Wednesday night
                            All of Thursday,
                            All of Thursday night
                            All of Friday
                            All of Friday Night
                            All of Saturday
                            And was raised on the First day. Sabbath means seventh. Saturday is the seventh day. Scripture says:

John 20:1 The first day of the week cometh Mary Magdalene early, when it was yet dark, unto the sepulchre, and seeth the stone taken away from the sepulchre.

And arose at the end of Saturday at the beginning of night a Full 3 Nights and 3 Days after the Crucifixion.
                            Mark 16:9 Now when Jesus was risen early the first day of the week, he appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom he had cast seven devils.

As far as Christmas, Jesus was born when Shepherds were in the Field,
                            Since winters are very mild in Israel, shepherds are in the field 365 day so the year, even today.

and at a time of the census,
                            Yep.

What you haven't also considered, is that Jesus is the author of the New Creation. That means that His conception coincided with the date of the first creation. Which has always been determined to be March 25. Count 9 months from March 25 and you will have December 25. That is the perfection of God's salvation plan.

Pray!

Comment

SO again you have said we HUMANS have chosen this date, God will just have to deal with it.
                              Have you not read Romans 14? Or Colossians 2? God didn't command the Jews to celebrate Purim or the Feast of Dedication (Channukah) yet, they do. Both are celebrated to commemorate something God did for the Jews.

And the cups of wine used during Passover are not from the Law of Moses, but a much later, HUMAN addition to the feast. Jesus didn't have any problem with them, since He used the cups of wine to institute Holy Communion, Imagine that--He took a man-made tradition, that was started to honor God, and used it to institute His Holy Supper (along with the bread).

We observe Christmas and Easter to the Lord, to honor what He did for us, in coming to earth as a human being,so He could suffer and die for us on the cross, and rise again, conquering sin, death, and the devil. To the Lord we celebrate these things. To the Lord you do not. Colossians 2 says not to pass judgment on one another in respect to holidays, new moons, and Sabbaths. Which is what you are doing with us on here, who DO observe these holy days to the Lord Jesus Christ.

Comment

Working...
                              X