Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

Edited to add more information for posters:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Concerning salvation...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Theo1689 View Post

So let me get this straight....

You claim that you "hate" it when you read people (or specifically me) defending John Calvin.
    But then you BEG me and try to GOAD me into doing just that?

Would you mind explaining to me how that is the least bit rational?
    Kinda makes you wonder.

Comment

• Originally posted by CrowCross View Post

That was a very rude comment to make to a brother in the Lord.

I see bad fruit on your tree.
      Oh. But you are not ver rude in saying this?

Originally posted by CrowCross View Post

That was a very rude comment to make to a brother in the Lord.
      I see bad fruit on your tree.
      Or maybe you are entitled to say whatever you want and it is never bad fruit since you are one of those lucky Elect.
      Mouser Larry Roy: "yippee ki yay"
      “... see the loonies in their cages… are they not witty… how much amusement they afford… ours is a human world, theirs is a bestial world… " Bedlam

Comment

• Originally posted by noemail001 View Post

Oh. But you are not ver rude in saying this?

Or maybe you are entitled to say whatever you want and it is never bad fruit since you are one of those lucky Elect.
        Once again you seemed to have stepped up to the plate with more rude remarks....Lucky elect? Presenting false labels...again....I see.
        As a Christian, how can you even begin to say such things?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bigboy View Post

Well good morning to you too Theo, I see you were gossiping about me.

Here this will give you something to do, defend your murdering boy :

The influence of John Calvin had begun to be felt in English affairs. His books had appeared in translations in England. He was responsible in a large measure for the demon of hate and fierce hostility which the Baptists of England had to encounter. He advised that "Anabaptists and reactionists should be alike put to death" (Froude, History of England, V.99).
          I'm a little confused. You see attacking someone's actions doesn't really help argue against their position. Calvin could have stabbed his wife in the eye with a sausage for all it matters to his theology.

This is called a tu quoque fallacy.
          https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/tu-quoque

Now if the discussion is really on whether Calvin had justification for the death of Servetus or anyone else he advocated to be killed, that's a different discussion (probably one off topic for this subforum or at least the thread).

Simply put, what one does has no effect on the validity of their theological position. One's actions may be inconsistent with their position and that makes them out to be a hypocrite.

Wesleyan-Holiness, Church of the Nazarene

It is time the Church Jesus Christ overcame the disjunctions created by the 16th-century Reformation... ++William Greathouse

Comment

• Originally posted by martureo View Post
            I'm a little confused. You see attacking someone's actions doesn't really help argue against their position. Calvin could have stabbed his wife in the eye with a sausage for all it matters to his theology.

This is called a tu quoque fallacy.
            https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/tu-quoque

Now if the discussion is really on whether Calvin had justification for the death of Servetus or anyone else he advocated to be killed, that's a different discussion (probably one off topic for this subforum or at least the thread).

Simply put, what one does has no effect on the validity of their theological position. One's actions may be inconsistent with their position and that makes them out to be a hypocrite.
            You are right to a certain extent, but two things to keep in mind.
            1. When the Bible, especially the New testament, addresses false teachers over 90% of what is said is about their sinful lifestyle.
            2. If a person holds to an unbiblical idea like they should be able to kill someone they think is a heretic, it is an indication that their thinking is wrong and unbiblical, and it should make other things they say about the Bible suspect.

So while it may appear to be a logical fallacy, the Bible says the two are tied together: behavior and teaching.
            by faith we understand...
            Didn't I tell you that if you believe, you will see the glory of God?

Comment

• Originally posted by Theo1689 View Post

Yet it's NOT a "waste of time and energy" for you to share your MISINTERPRETATION of John 6:45 with me ten million times?

Yet it's NOT a "waste of time and energy" for you to share that ridiculous "fish video" with me ten million times?

You'll respond and start arguing with CrowCross again, it's GUARANTEED.
              It's what you do.
              Ten million times? Exaggerate much Theo?

And that fish video PROVES that a person or thing can be drawn, and yet not arrive at the object that is drawing them/it. You cannot deny it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITpPsgNGWZc

Gal 3:26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.

Comment

• Originally posted by CrowCross View Post

Once again you seemed to have stepped up to the plate with more rude remarks....Lucky elect? Presenting false labels...again....I see.
                As a Christian, how can you even begin to say such things?
                n>Election. Surely you know what Calvinists mean by that term (I sure hope you don't decree that rude). Because of Election-a-la-Calvinist (I sure hope you don't decree that rude) how does rudeness affect one's election? Because of Election-a-la-Calvinist (I sure hope you don't decree that rude) how does "presenting false labels" affect one's election? Because of Election-a-la-Calvinist (I sure hope you don't decree that rude) how does "saying these things" affect one's election? Because of Election-a-la-Calvinist (I sure hope you don't decree that rude) how does "stepping up to the plate" affect one's election? Because of Election-a-la-Calvinist (I sure hope you don't decree that rude) how do any of your protests affect one's election? In fact, what -- due to your election -- are you doing here? Really? Everyone here -- according to your election -- is either already elect or can never be elect. So why are you here? Surely you are not flaunting your status, are you? Surely not.
                Mouser Larry Roy: "yippee ki yay"
                “... see the loonies in their cages… are they not witty… how much amusement they afford… ours is a human world, theirs is a bestial world… " Bedlam

Comment

[*]Martin Luther said of Calvin's actions in Geneva, "With a death sentence they solve all argumentation" (Juergan L. Neve, A History of Christian Thought, vol. I, p. 285).
                  I happen to have a copy of "History of Christian Thought, vol. I." First, the author you cite does not spell his first name "Juergan." Second, no, Luther did not say this about "Calvin's actions in Geneva." This a mis-reading of p.285.

Comment

• Originally posted by James Swan View Post

I happen to have a copy of "History of Christian Thought, vol. I." First, the author you cite does not spell his first name "Juergan." Second, no, Luther did not say this about "Calvin's actions in Geneva." This a mis-reading of p.285.

Are you sure you are reading page 285 correct, if you are maybe you could clear that up its all over the internet.

I know you are a Martin Luther apologist, he was more wicked than Calvin. A demon possessed wicked butcher that was Luther.
                    No conviction,No conversion
                    John 16:8
                    And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:

Comment

• Originally posted by James Swan View Post

Fascinating that he makes the EXACT same typo that many others do who quote that...
                      "We are not to understand the other side; we are to discuss to expound the truth." -- A misguided apologist
                      --------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      "The Law is a storm which wrecks your hopes of self-salvation,
                      but washes you upon the Rock of Ages."
                      -- Charles Haddon Spurgeon

Comment

Are you sure you are reading page 285 correct, if you are maybe you could clear that up
                        Why don't YOU quote the actual quote, with more surrounding context so that we can ALL see what he was referring to?
                        After all, I'm sure you have the book, right?

its all over the internet.
                        Well, that's probably there are many Calvin-haters in the world who want to bad-mouth him, but don't have the skills or the integrity to actually do their own objective and fair research, so they simply and blindly "copy-and-paste" any nasty-sounding quote they can find without bothering to check its accuracy (or lack thereof).

I know you are a Martin Luther apologist, he was more wicked than Calvin. A demon possessed wicked butcher that was Luther.
                        "How do you use fallacies? Let me count the ways...:"

- ad hominem;
                        - mudslinging;
                        - poisoning the well;
                        - guilt by association...
                        Last edited by Theo1689; 08-19-17, 07:15 PM.
                        "We are not to understand the other side; we are to discuss to expound the truth." -- A misguided apologist

Comment

Are you sure you are reading page 285 correct, if you are maybe you could clear that up its all over the internet.

And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:
                          I don't notice any conviction by the Holy Spirit for condemning Luther.

Nothing but carnal accusations !!!!

Comment

• I guess I could post some of Demon possessed Luthers murders and let you all defend them.

Comment

I don't notice any conviction by the Holy Spirit for condemning Luther.

Nothing but carnal accusations !!!!
                              Originally posted by Bigboy View Post
                              I guess I could post some of Demon possessed Luthers murders and let you all defend them.
                              Luther might have repented of these alleged crimes,
                              but you have condemned Luther.

Be prepared for the reaping.

Its perfectly clear when someone's Christianity is compromised.

Comment

I guess I could post some of Demon possessed Luthers murders and let you all defend them.
                                <Chuckle>

Let's hope your quotes are more accurate than your quote of "Juergan Neve"...

Comment

Working...
                                X