Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Why don't both sides of this debate go preach to the atheists for a change?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why don't both sides of this debate go preach to the atheists for a change?

Even wonder if the Lord Jesus Christ would be more proud of your trying to reach the lost than arguing with your brothers over issues that don't affect one's salvation?

Have any of you ever preached to atheists? Ever won someone to the Lord? Ever passed out socks and underwear to the homeless and asked them if they could use some prayer rather than fighting amongst people who are ALREADY SAVED?

I don't understand the point.
    "In faith, there is enough light for those who want to believe, and enough shadows to blind those who don't." -Blaise Pascal

I've done all the above over my 35 plus years as a follower of Jesus. I look at this forum as iron sharpens iron as we are brothers and sisters in the Lord. Another thing is many of us who are Calvinists and Arminians have walked hand in hand together witnessing for the Lord and worship together in our home churches.

BTW- I like your avatar, have all their music on my phone.
    His true identity as both Lord (κύριος used by the LXX to translate Yahweh) and God (θεός used by the LXX to translate Elohim)netbible John 20:28[In John's writings] Of the approximately 70 instances in which ουτος has a personal referent, as many as 44 of them (almost 2/3) refer to the Son. Of the remainder most imply some sort of positive connection with the Son.What is most significant is that NEVER is the Father the referent. 1 John 5:20, Wallace

Comment

Originally posted by Undead View Post
      [Ever] wonder if the Lord Jesus Christ would be more proud of your trying to reach the lost than arguing with your brothers over issues that don't affect one's salvation?
      Nope. The two are not mutually exclusive conditions and the former should not be presumed neglected. Implying otherwise would be a problem to be solved.
      Have any of you ever preached to atheists?
      Yes. Often. Is it assumed they're not currently lurking here and now, or that God is unable to effect salvific change in the lurker? If so, that too would be a problem to be solved.
      Ever won someone to the Lord?
      Yes. Often.

However, it is not I that "wins" a person; it is God.

This past Christmas I was invited to a holiday celebration by old friends from high school (I'm age 60). In the middle of the party the hostess stopped the party to publicly thank me for having shared the gospel with her many years ago and being instrumental in her coming to the Lord many years ago. Preferring to give God the glory I thanked her for her kind words and acknowledged the work of God in bring us into His kingdom (and thereby witnessed to every single person in that gathering. During the course of the evening three other people came up to me and likewise acknowledged I had been instrumental in their coming to Christ, and another person confessed an interest and I have been meeting with him to that end since that evening. I also learned another half-dozen old smoking buddies had also come to Christ through means that had nothing to do with me. Musta been more than twenty Jesus freaks in that party .

Aside from the hostess, I had no idea the others had been thusly influenced. Some prepare the soil, some plant the seed, some water it, some reap the harvest and success should not be measured by the one blessed enough to be around when the Harvester harvests. We all work unawares of God's purposes at one time or another; some more unaware than others.
      Ever passed out socks and underwear to the homeless and asked them if they could use some prayer rather than fighting amongst people who are ALREADY SAVED?
      Spent most of my Christian life working in private non-profits and volunteering time and service to those in need. Surely service within the body is understood to be just as valid as service outside the body (again: the two are not mutually exclusive conditions).

And let's not create a red herring by labeling what usually happens here as "fighting." Imposing such a fallacy would also be a problem to be solved (God's spirit does not prompt fallacy).
      Then visit other boards or other forums. Why would you or we expect you to spend anymore time in a place where the point isn't understood. Why would we expect a person whose inquiries assume negligence would understand?

Start with the log, Und. Worry about the speck when you get appointed sheriff.
      "Accept the one whose faith is weak, without quarreling over disputable matters. One person’s faith allows them to eat anything, but another, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables. The one who eats everything must not treat with contempt the one who does not, and the one who does not eat everything must not judge the one who does, for God has accepted them. Who are you to judge someone else’s servant? To their own master, servants stand or fall. And they will stand, for the Lord is able to make them stand." (Rom. 14:1-4 NIV)
      Accept the one whose faith is weak, without quarreling over disputable matters. One person’s faith allows them to various matters, but another, whose faith is weak, avoids disputes. The one who debates must not treat with contempt the one who does not, and the one who does not debate must not judge the one who does, for God has accepted them. Who are you to judge someone else’s servant? To their own master servants stand or fall. And they will stand, for the Lord is able to make them stand.

The religion that God accepts is to "look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world" (Jms. 1:27), and it should not be implied or insinuated those spending time in CARM do not also worship God in a manner that also includes the offering of our lives as a living sacrifice (Rom. 12:1).
      "Now the works of the flesh are evident: ...enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, ...and things like these." (Gal. 5:19-20 ESV, excerpted)
      CARM is a great place to learn. As iron sharpens iron so one person sharpens another. Disputes exist because of that which wages war within us, not merely the conflicts between us (Jms. 4:1), which is clearly evidenced in this op. The differences among believers show which of us have God's approval, either in the content of our posts or the manner in which we do so because it is out of the abundance of the heart that the fingers type. Disputatious, divisive, and factious content can be recognized for what it is: a work of the flesh. If that is you or me or Fred, Bert, or Ethel then it becomes incumbent upon us to demonstrate an understanding of repentance and amends, to grow in a teachable spirit, Christlikeness and unity. The sharpening of iron requires friction. God's goal is, of course, that there be no divisions among us, but that we be perfectly united in mind and thought with Christ, but that necessarily entails someone being caught in trespass and the other restoring them gently, as we carry one another's burdens and thereby fulfill the law of Christ.

How long have you been a believer, Undead?
      All verses cited or quoted or in the NAS unless otherwise noted.

“if anyone competes as an athlete, he does not win the prize unless he competes according to the rules.” (2 Tim. 2:5)

Comment

Originally posted by civic View Post
        BTW- I like your avatar, have all their music on my phone.
        lol. Tell him how old you are, civ.
        All verses cited or quoted or in the NAS unless otherwise noted.

“if anyone competes as an athlete, he does not win the prize unless he competes according to the rules.” (2 Tim. 2:5)

Comment

Even wonder if the Lord Jesus Christ would be more proud of your trying to reach the lost than arguing with your brothers over issues that don't affect one's salvation?
          What makes you think we haven't?

Have any of you ever preached to atheists?
          Of course we have.

Nope. Never.
          Only the Lord can "win" someone to the Lord.
          Someone can plant. Another can water. Only God can give the increase.

Ever passed out socks and underwear to the homeless and asked them if they could use some prayer
          I haven't read any Scripture that teaches that socks and underwear leads one to Christ.

rather than fighting amongst people who are ALREADY SAVED?
          That's too bad for you.

So you think that people who are already saved require no more teaching?
          Seriously?
          "We are not to understand the other side; we are to discuss to expound the truth." -- A misguided apologist
          --------------------------------------------------------------------------
          "The Law is a storm which wrecks your hopes of self-salvation,
          but washes you upon the Rock of Ages."
          -- Charles Haddon Spurgeon

Comment

Have any of you ever preached to atheists? Ever won someone to the Lord? Ever passed out socks and underwear to the homeless and asked them if they could use some prayer rather than fighting amongst people who are ALREADY SAVED?

You can't do both??

Comment

1 Cor 3:6-7
              I planted, Apollos watered, but God was causing the growth. 7 So then neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but God who causes the growth.

hope this helps !!!
              His true identity as both Lord (κύριος used by the LXX to translate Yahweh) and God (θεός used by the LXX to translate Elohim)netbible John 20:28[In John's writings] Of the approximately 70 instances in which ουτος has a personal referent, as many as 44 of them (almost 2/3) refer to the Son. Of the remainder most imply some sort of positive connection with the Son.What is most significant is that NEVER is the Father the referent. 1 John 5:20, Wallace

Comment

I planted, Apollos watered, but God was causing the growth. 7 So then neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but God who causes the growth.

hope this helps !!!
                Excellent civic. I don't win anyone to the Lord. We preach the gospel

Comment

Originally posted by reformedguy View Post

Excellent civic. I don't win anyone to the Lord. We preach the gospel
                  yep !

Comment

Why arent you preaching to the lost right now? Instead you are making useless threads about people arguing about non-essential doctrines.
                    I dont understand the point (of this topic).

Comment

I pop in and out of the Secular Atheism Board and spend a good bit of time there when I get on a roll. A lot of my Gospel Tracts come from ideas gleaned over there; and from over here. I feel you when it comes to wanting to reach out to the Lost; I've said similar kinds of things in the past when I secretly wanted these great Christian Minds to come and give me a little help over there...
                      Last edited by bruisermiller; 06-15-18, 03:13 PM.
                      Isaiah 53:10-11 NKJV 'When You make His soul an offering for sin, God shall see the labor of His soul, and be satisfied.'

Providence ~ The red headed Stepchild of Contemporary Theologians...
                      New-Protestant Reformation Dec 2009

Comment

Originally posted by bruisermiller View Post
                        I pop in and out of the Secular Atheism Board and spend a good bit of time there when I get on a roll. A lot of my Gospel Tracts come from ideas gleaned over there; and from over here. I feel you when it comes to wanting to reach out to the Lost; I've said similar kinds of things in the past when I secretly wanted these great Christian Minds to come and give me a little help over there...
                        When I'm over at the Secular Atheism Board, I try to win little arguments; after all, I'm no rocket scientist like some of them are. I got Gusbovana to agree with one point from the Gospel Tract I'll be pasting here next; that evolution to a higher species such as ourselves has to be very rare. They like to think that since the Universe is so vast, there has to be a multitude of rare earths in existence. Getting them to agree that the odds need to be lowered for the existence of Life outside of our solar system is helpful. But without God, they'll go find another hole to stick their heads into. But at least we can be yanking out support beams from under their paradigm; until it starts to teeter and topples...
                        Last edited by bruisermiller; 06-15-18, 03:28 PM.
                        Isaiah 53:10-11 NKJV 'When You make His soul an offering for sin, God shall see the labor of His soul, and be satisfied.'

Comment

Originally posted by bruisermiller View Post

When I'm over at the Secular Atheism Board, I try to win little argument; after all, I'm no rocket scientist like some of them are. I got one of them to agree with one point from the Gospel Tract I'll be pasting here next; that evolution to a higher species such as ourselves has to be very rare. They like to think that since the Universe is so rare, there has to be a multitude of rare earths in existence. Getting them to agree that the odds need to be lowered for the existence of Life outside of our solar system is helpful. But without God, they'll go find another hole to stick their heads into...
                          Goldilocks...
                          Questions about the Bible ~ by brother C. W. Miller

Genesis 1:10 KJV; And God called the dry land Earth; and the gathering together of the waters called he Seas: and God saw that it was good.

During the six days of Creation, God ended each day by declaring that what he had made was ‘Good’; all facets of Creation were flawless. Something similar to this declaration of Goodness can be seen in the Tale of Goldilocks and the Three Bears. We are all familiar with that story; Goldilocks enters the home of the Bears and finds a selection of items, but only one of each item is ‘just right’. When God calls his Creation Good, he is saying that it was ‘just right’. Theology presents us with several arguments for the existence of God, and one of them is called the Teleological Argument; Earth is ‘just right’ for Life…

There are many examples of how the Earth is just right for life to exist, but I will use three which correspond with Goldilocks tale; and at the end I will use a fourth example. The Earth exists in an area of space which is commonly known as the Habitable Zone. Venus and Mars are also in this Zone but one is too hot for Life and the other is too cold for life; but the Earth is just right.. If the Sun were a Red Giant, it would be too big; but our Sun is just right.. If the molten Core of the Earth were too hard like the solid core of Mars, then the Suns radiation would kill life on Earth; our molten core is ‘just right’ for life to exist here. ~ If there did exist another world exactly like Earth in our Galaxy with ‘just the right’ conditions for Life to exist, it would still take a ‘special’ event for Life to exist there; the Cambrian Explosion. Evolutionary Scientists tell us that by comparison to the billions of years of time the Earth has existed, the proliferation of Life ‘exploded’ onto the scene! According to Professor Watson from East ****** University, “‘a limit to evolution is the habitability of Earth, and any other Earth-like planets, a habitability which will end as the sun brightens’. He suggests that an upper limit for the probability of each step of the evolutionary process occurring is 10 per cent or less, so the chances of intelligent life emerging is low, less than 0.01 per cent over four billion years.” Life existing on perfect worlds depends on a Cambrian Explosion also occurring there…

The existence of Life on Earth is often described as being maintained by a vast wall of instruments with knobs, switches and buttons which are perfectly dialed in for Life. If one dial is turned one notch, then Life would cease to exist. The Book of Revelation in the Bible describes a time when God will burn the world with Fire. This is because of Man’s Sins, such as Lying, stealing, and worshiping other Gods. Adam Sinned and the world has never been a Garden of Eden since. But God so loved his ‘Good’ world that he gave his only begotten Son to be the representative of believers. Because he is both Man and God; Jesus is ‘just right’ to be our Advocate on Judgment Day. Jesus kept the Ten Commandments and deserved Life; but he gave it up on a cross so that all who believe in him should not perish but have everlasting Life! When you put your Faith in Jesus as your risen Lord and Savior, then you are ‘just right’; you are Just and Right before God…

Revelation 21:4 KJV; And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.

Comment

hope this helps !!!
                            Civic you may find this telling and disappointing.

https://forums.carm.org/vb5/forum/cu...97#post5319397

No conviction,No conversion
                            John 16:8
                            And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:

Comment

Originally posted by Bigboy View Post

Civic you may find this telling and disappointing.

https://forums.carm.org/vb5/forum/cu...97#post5319397
                              That has stopped my mouth...
                              Last edited by bruisermiller; 06-15-18, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X