Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Repentance, Faith precedes regeneration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by reformedguy View Post

Never said it mentioned repentance. Repentance would be covered under commands, decrees, statutes or ordinances until you in your infinite wisdom give me a reason why it shouldn't be and if it shouldn't be then what is it?? Why do you suppose spirit is not capitalized in Ezekiel 18?

The order in Ezekiel? Will it be much longer?

Acts 2:38 does not mention the giving of a new heart. Good effort though. What else do you have?

bump for Tom

Comment

• Originally posted by TomL View Post

Tom replies

Sorry you are off topic and your argument makes no sense

This op concerns the order of a giving of a new heart and Spirit in reference to repentancer

repentance precedes the giving of a new a heart and the Spirit

Ezek 36 does not mention repentance

Ezek 18 does

Ezekiel 18:30-31 (KJV)

30 Therefore I will judge you, O house of Israel, every one according to his ways, saith the Lord GOD. Repent, and turn
      yourselves
      from all your transgressions; so iniquity shall not be your ruin.

31 Cast away from you all your transgressions, whereby ye have transgressed; and make you a new heart and a new spirit: for why will ye die, O house of Israel?

as does

Acts 2:38 (KJV)

38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

so repentance preceded a new heart and the giving of the Spirit

finally is through the giving of the Spirit (after repentance) one

Ezekiel 36:27 (KJV)

27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do
      them

It is ac useless argument to say Acts 2:38 does not mention the new heart Ezek 18 did

It is equally useless to say Ezek 18 is not speaking of the spirit when Acts 2:38 did

Your so called failed 1 & 3 amount to nothing

The fact I have no obligation to respond to your topic comment shows your so falled fail # 2 is also nothing

Numbers 4 & 5 is the same I owe you nothing

My point is repentance precedes the new heart and the giving of the spirit

that has been established and you have offered nothing to contradict that

Did not address one of my points. Shocking I know. So I will bump them and give you another chance. For instance, why isn't spirit capitalized in your allged proof text do you suppose? Not even in your precious KJV

Comment

Did not address one of my points. Shocking I know. So I will bump them and give you another chance. For instance, why isn't spirit capitalized in your allged proof text do you suppose? Not even in your precious KJV
        Tom replies

who cares

This is my op and I established my point

I have no obligation to follow your diversion from the op

This op concerns the order of a giving of a new heart and Spirit in reference to repentancer

Ezek 18 does

30 Therefore I will judge you, O house of Israel, every one according to his ways, saith the Lord GOD. Repent, and turn
        yourselves

31 Cast away from you all your transgressions, whereby ye have transgressed; and make you a new heart and a new spirit: for why will ye die, O house of Israel?

as does

38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do
        them

It is ac useless argument to say Acts 2:38 does not mention the new heart Ezek 18 did

It is equally useless to say Ezek 18 is not speaking of the spirit when Acts 2:38 did

The fact I have no obligation to respond to your topic comment shows your so falled fail # 2 is also nothing

that has been established and you have offered nothing to contradict tha
        Let God's word speak and everyman be silent

Comment

Tom replies

who cares

Ezek 18 does

yourselves

as does

them

that has been established and you have offered nothing to contradict tha
          I have offered enough for the following reasons

1) Why isn't spirit capitalized in Ezekiel 18? In any translation. Tom refused to answer. The answer is simple and elementary. Its referring to our spirit not the Holy Spirit.

2) Tom claims repentance is not mentioned in Ezekiel 36 therefore it is not a command, decree, ordinance or statute. I asked what is it then? When God says repent. No answer for obvious reasons. Silly and childish argument.

3) I asked for the order given in Ezekiel 36 26 and 27. Clearly in verse 26 the new heart, regeneration, is given before the Spirit. Tom does his best to avoid verse 26 by only posting verse 27. Again, for anyone that can read, for obvious reasons.

4) I asked where the Bible teaches repentance comes from a heart of stone. Again crickets. The Bible is quite clear what does come from a heart of stone and Godly sorrow and repentance is not one them.

Calvinism wins again. I will leave it to the lurkers to decide.

Comment

1) Why isn't spirit capitalized in Ezekiel 18? In any translation. Tom refused to answer. The answer is simple and elementary. Its referring to our spirit not the Holy Spirit.

2) Tom claims repentance is not mentioned in Ezekiel 36 therefore it is not a command, decree, ordinance or statute. I asked what is it then? When God says repent. No answer for obvious reasons. Silly and childish argument.

3) I asked for the order given in Ezekiel 36 26 and 27. Clearly in verse 26 the new heart, regeneration, is given before the Spirit. Tom does his best to avoid verse 26 by only posting verse 27. Again, for anyone that can read, for obvious reasons.

4) I asked where the Bible teaches repentance comes from a heart of stone. Again crickets. The Bible is quite clear what does come from a heart of stone and Godly sorrow and repentance is not one them.

Amen!

The other poster has a habit of twisting and/or ignoring Scripture, as false teachers often do.
            John 6:37 All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.

Comment

Tom replies

except you affirmed you made no statements about the order of repentance and the new heart and receiving the spirit

That is the point I am making

If you want to divert from that I am under no obligation to follow you

Your post is irrelevant

as stated

Tom replies

who cares

Ezek 18 does

yourselves

as does

them

that has been established and you have offered nothing to contradict that

Comment

Tom replies

Will you believe what God has stated or not

Therefore I will judge you, O house of Israel, every one according to his ways, saith the Lord GOD. Repent, and turn
                yourselves
                Cast away from you all your transgressions, whereby ye have transgressed; and make you a new heart and a new spirit: for why will ye die, O house of Israel?

Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
                Yes, I believe what the scripture states but how we understand it the Holy Spirit reveals it to us who have the Spirit.

A leopard does not have the Spirit nor can it change its spots.

God bless you,

SeventhDay

Comment

• Originally posted by SeventhDay View Post

Yes, I believe what the scripture states but how we understand it the Holy Spirit reveals it to us who have the Spirit.

A leopard does not have the Spirit nor can it change its spots.

God bless you,

SeventhDay
                  Then you believe repentance comes before the new heart and the receiving of the Spirit

Therefore I will judge you, O house of Israel, every one according to his ways, saith the Lord GOD. Repent, and turn
                  yourselves
                  Cast away from you all your transgressions, whereby ye have transgressed; and make you a new heart and a new spirit: for why will ye die, O house of Israel?

Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Comment

Then you believe repentance comes before the new heart and the receiving of the Spirit

yourselves

Spiritual regeneration comes first! God is not saving the old man because the old man is dead with Christ in his death. Stick with the scriptures!

God bless you,

SeventhDay

Comment

Spiritual regeneration comes first! God is not saving the old man because the old man is dead with Christ in his death. Stick with the scriptures!

God bless you,

SeventhDay
                      What did the scripture state

yourselves

will one go by what scripture states or personal opinion

Comment

What did the scripture state

yourselves

will one go by what scripture states or personal opinion
                        Is the old man dead or not?

Is it the new spiritual man that rises out of death with Christ?

Show me in the scriptures where this is so then get back to me.

God bless you,

SeventhDay

Comment

Is the old man dead or not?

Is it the new spiritual man that rises out of death with Christ?

Show me in the scriptures where this is so then get back to me.

God bless you,

SeventhDay
                          Romans 6:1-11 (NASB)
                          1 What shall we say then? Are we to continue in sin so that grace may increase?
                          2 May it never be! How shall we who died to sin still live in it?
                          3 Or do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus have been baptized into His death?
                          4 Therefore we have been buried with Him through baptism into death, so that as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, so we too might walk in newness of life.
                          5 For if we have become united with Him in the likeness of His death, certainly we shall also be in the likeness of His resurrection,
                          6 knowing this, that our old self was crucified with Him, in order that our body of sin might be done away with, so that we would no longer be slaves to sin;
                          7 for he who has died is freed from sin.
                          8 Now if we have died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with Him,
                          9 knowing that Christ, having been raised from the dead, is never to die again; death no longer is master over Him.
                          10 For the death that He died, He died to sin once for all; but the life that He lives, He lives to God.
                          11 Even so consider yourselves to be dead to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus.

It happens after one repents and receives the Holy Spirit

Comment

Romans 6:1-11 (NASB)
                            1 What shall we say then? Are we to continue in sin so that grace may increase?
                            2 May it never be! How shall we who died to sin still live in it?
                            3 Or do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus have been baptized into His death?
                            4 Therefore we have been buried with Him through baptism into death, so that as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, so we too might walk in newness of life.
                            5 For if we have become united with Him in the likeness of His death, certainly we shall also be in the likeness of His resurrection,
                            6 knowing this, that our old self was crucified with Him, in order that our body of sin might be done away with, so that we would no longer be slaves to sin;
                            7 for he who has died is freed from sin.
                            8 Now if we have died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with Him,
                            9 knowing that Christ, having been raised from the dead, is never to die again; death no longer is master over Him.
                            10 For the death that He died, He died to sin once for all; but the life that He lives, He lives to God.
                            11 Even so consider yourselves to be dead to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus.

It happens after one repents and receives the Holy Spirit
                            It can not happen that way because the old man is dead.

Please do not wrestle with the scriptures.

God saves first by raising man out of death through spiritual regeneration because the old man is dead but the new spiritual man can believe what Jesus has already accomplished which is saving him!

Now, Paul is telling us these things for a reason but there are those who have perverted the gospel.

God bless you,

SeventhDay

Comment

It can not happen that way because the old man is dead.

Please do not wrestle with the scriptures.

God saves first by raising man out of death through spiritual regeneration because the old man is dead but the new spiritual man can believe what Jesus has already accomplished which is saving him!

Now, Paul is telling us these things for a reason but there are those who have perverted the gospel.

God bless you,

SeventhDay
                              Tom replies

The old man is not dead if one has not believed or repented

That would be evidence of the old man very much in charge

John 5:24 (NIV2011)
                              24 ôVery truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life.

One does not pass to life until one believes

Comment

Tom replies

The old man is not dead if one has not believed or repented

That would be evidence of the old man very much in charge

John 5:24 (NIV2011)
                                24 “Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life.

One does not pass to life until one believes

Spiritual regeneration changes the heart and provides spiritual ears, spiritual understanding and spiritual belief.

If the old man is not dead then Jesus atonement did not happen!

No need to be a walking zombie just let the old man go because he is dead!

God bless you,

SeventhDay

Comment

Working...
                                X