Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Is All Mankind Under The New Covenant?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is All Mankind Under The New Covenant?

I have had an ongoing debate with B Student on the SDA forum concerning the New Covenant. We decided to move the discussion to here in order to get different views. SDAs do not seem to want to debate the issue. Both of us are not SDAs and our discussion was derailing a Sabbath debate.

My belief is that God gave the Sinai covenant to Israel and that covenant ended when the New and better Covenant was ratified by the blood of our Savior at Calvary. B Student has some very good scripture that indicates that Jews that have not accepted Jesus as Messiah are still under the OC. Please join us in understanding the issue. You can get the gist of the debate at https://forums.carm.org/vb5/forum/ch...-a-sabbatarian

B Student wrote:
    Iím not arguing that it was Godís purpose for people to stay under the Law, or be justified by the Law. It was the sad reality that people chose to reject Christ and stay under the Law. That is what Paul is saying. Paulís comments do not say that the Law was annulled or destroyed; only that it had already served its intended purpose.

There are qualifiers that tell us it is through the walk of faith and obedience to God that one could leave the Law behind.

Gal 5:18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the Law.

Notice the qualification, IF you are led by the Spirit you are not under the Law.
    And if they werenít led by the spirit what were the Jews under? What would be your answer?

Regarding questions from your last post, I thought I had addressed everything.

You brought up the past tenses from Galatians 3.
    My answer is that there is a good reason they are in the past tense and itís because he is addressing baptized believers who already passed through the cross of Christ, being buried with him and joined to the one body Ė the church.
    He was not addressing the Jewish non-believer who wasnít part of the church and wasnít part of the ONE body of Christ, so I donít see how you can apply any of these verses to your theory.

Itís not like Paul in Ephesians 2 said: ďheís broken down the middle wall of partition and made the whole world into one body in ChristĒ. He specifically addresses members of the church i.e. the One Body:

And in Gal 3 he is talking to of the church who already believe:

Gal 3:22 But the Scripture has shut up everyone under sin so that the promise by faith in Jesus Christ might be given to those who believe. 23 But before faith came, we were kept in custody under the law, being shut up to the faith which was later to be revealedÖ.25 But now that faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor.

Before faith came THE BELIEVER was kept under the Law. Now that faith has come THE BELIEVER is no longer under the tutor. Why do you assume Paul is addressing non-believers with these comments (i.e. saying the Jewish non-believer was released from the Law) when the context of the letter is specific to the believer?
    My answer to B Student is that the Galatians were never under the law, they are gentiles. Paul, in the middle of chapter 3, changed from referring to gentiles and began writing about Jews. Starting with verse 10 10For all who rely on the works of the law are under a curse, Jews and gentiles like the foolish Galatians who had espoused Jewish beliefs. Further down Paul is telling us that Jesus redeemed the Jews from the law. 14 He redeemed us (Paul and all Jews) in order that the blessing given to Abraham might come to the Gentiles through Christ Jesus so that by faith we might receive the promise of the Spirit.

So, in verse 19 where Paul writes that after Jesus came we (Jews) are no longer under the law. It was added for the Israelites UNTIL.

19 Why, then, was the law given at all? It was added because of transgressions until the Seed to whom the promise referred had come. The law was given through angels and entrusted to a mediator.

My contention is that every living souls is under the NC, B Student's contention is that Jews who have not accepted Jesus is not under the NC until they accept Him as Messiah. I have referred B to verses like Eph2:15, 2Cor 3:7-11 and Matt 5:17-18. In Matt 5:17-18 Jesus uses the word fulfill. Fulfill means to bring to an end. He came to bring the law to an end. Jesus is God. Does God leave anything undone? Paul wrote in 2Cor 3 that the 10 commandments are done away. In Eph, he wrote: 15by setting aside in his flesh the law with its commands and regulations. His purpose was to create in himself one new humanity out of the two, thus making peace
    Blessed are the cracked, for they are the ones who let in the light.

You Must be Born again, said Jesus to Nicodemus of the Jews! Unbelieving Jews are still under the Old Covenant and we must bring them out of it so they will not be destroyed, that is our first order, Jew first, then Gentile. In Gal. 4 below, this does not mean that Jews are not to be saved, it means to bring the out of that O Covenant made at Sinai,and into their New Covenant showing mercy as we are saved by their unbelief, now it is our turn to show them mercy by saving them.
    The carnal man, Jew or Gentile can not inherit the Kingdom of God, for they are carnally minded (dead) without God's Spirit and can not obey God(can not be subject to Christ) for they are still led of their flesh. Those born again of heavenly Jerusalem born of the SEED(The Word) of the Woman above are the children of God.This goes for our own families that are unsaved, they too must be born again, for carnality is enmity towards God.
    Rom 11:30-32

30 For as ye in times past have not believed God, yet have now obtained mercy through their unbelief:

31 Even so have these also now not believed, that through your mercy they also may obtain mercy.

32 For God hath concluded them all in unbelief, that he might have mercy upon all.
    KJV

Rom 9:6-8
    6 Not as though the word of God hath taken none effect. For they are not all Israel, which are of Israel:

7 Neither, because they are the seed of Abraham, are they all children: but, In Isaac shall thy seed be called.

8 That is, They which are the children of the flesh, these are not the children of God: but the children of the promise are counted for the seed.
    KJV

Gal 4:22-5:1

22 For it is written, that Abraham had two sons, the one by a bondmaid, the other by a freewoman.
    23 But he who was of the bondwoman was born after the flesh; but he of the freewoman was by promise.
    24 Which things are an allegory: for these are the two covenants; the one from the mount Sinai, which gendereth to bondage, which is Agar.
    25 For this Agar is mount Sinai in Arabia, and answereth to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children.
    26 But Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all.
    27 For it is written, Rejoice, thou barren that bearest not; break forth and cry, thou that travailest not: for the desolate hath many more children than she which hath an husband.
    28 Now we, brethren, as Isaac was, are the children of promise.
    29 But as then he that was born after the flesh persecuted him that was born after the Spirit, even so it is now.
    30 Nevertheless what saith the scripture? Cast out the bondwoman and her son: for the son of the bondwoman shall not be heir with the son of the freewoman.
    31 So then, brethren, we are not children of the bondwoman, but of the free.

KJV

Rom 9:6-8
    6 Not as though the word of God hath taken none effect. For they are not all Israel, which are of Israel:

7 Neither, because they are the seed of Abraham, are they all children: but, In Isaac shall thy seed be called.

8 That is, They which are the children of the flesh, these are not the children of God: but the children of the promise are counted for the seed.
    KJV
    Last edited by afaithfulone4u; 02-09-19, 03:27 PM.
    The purpose of my posts are not to cause bicker or division, but to show truth from the scripture for edifying of the soul. It does not matter what we think, it is what God's Word says that matters.

Comment

Originally posted by ontheBeam View Post
      Is All Mankind Under The New Covenant?
      Absolutely!!!

There is no "Jew" or "Gentile" any longer. There's No male or female, no Bond or Free (Gal 3:28). There's ONLY Condemned HUMAN SINNERS in need of A SAVIOR, whom God provided.

Of course HE was rejected and murdered by the Jewish leaders, using the Romans as their "Hit men".

When the NEW COVENANT was established in Jesus' BLOOD, the temple veil of SEPARATION was destroyed and the NEW Covenant reigns.

Comment

I agree fully Bob. Jeremiah prophesied that Israel would come under a better covenant, meaning not like the one they were currently living under.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Carabbio View Post

Absolutely!!!

There is no "Jew" or "Gentile" any longer. There's No male or female, no Bond or Free (Gal 3:28). There's ONLY Condemned HUMAN SINNERS in need of A SAVIOR, whom God provided.

Of course HE was rejected and murdered by the Jewish leaders, using the Romans as their "Hit men".

When the NEW COVENANT was established in Jesus' BLOOD, the temple veil of SEPARATION was destroyed and the NEW Covenant reigns.

Hi Bob,

I think it's important to take Paul's statements in context:

Gal 3: 27 For all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. 28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free man, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

The same idea appears in Corinthians:

1Cor 12:13 For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body, whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free, and we were all made to drink of one Spirit.

Paul indicates that baptism (of faith in Christ) is the means into that one body you refer to.

Comment

Eph2:14 For he himself is our peace, who has made the two groups one and has destroyed the barrier, the dividing wall of hostility, 15by setting aside in his flesh the law with its commands and regulations. His purpose was to create in himself one new humanity out of the two, thus making peace, 16 and in one body to reconcile both of them to God through the cross, by which he put to death their hostility. 17 He came and preached peace to you who were far away and peace to those who were near.18 For through him we both have access to the Father by one Spirit.

19 Consequently, you are no longer foreigners and strangers, but fellow citizens with Godís people and also members of his household, 20 built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the chief cornerstone. 21 In him the whole building is joined together and rises to become a holy temple in the Lord. 22 And in him you too are being built together to become a dwelling in which God lives by his Spirit.

What was the barrier Jesus destroyed? Paul says it was the law. Verse 22 is saying gentiles are being built together with the Jews. If Jews were/are under the OC until they receive Christ then it would seem like gentiles would also be under that covenant, but that is not the argument. The argument is that unsaved gentiles are under the NC and unsaved Jews are under the OC. In verse 15 Paul writes that Jesus set aside the Law's commands and regulations. In other words, He set aside the OC. 2Cor 3:7-11 comes right out and tells us that the 10 commandments are no longer the guide for Jews. They have been replaced by the Holy Spirit as all mankind's guide. The NC is all mankind's commands and promise. All mankind will be judged by the NC.

God's promise in Jeremiah has been fulfilled. Israel has been given a new covenant. The old one has been fulfilled, brought to an end. Amen!

Comment

Originally posted by B Student View Post

Hi Bob,

Gal 3: 27 For all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. 28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free man, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

1Cor 12:13 For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body, whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free, and we were all made to drink of one Spirit.

Paul indicates that baptism (of faith in Christ) is the means into that one body you refer to.
              I may be off the beaten oath here, but I believe Jesus replaced the Old Covenant which was with Israel, to a new and better covenant that is with Jew and Gentile .. All mankind will now be judged under the New Covenant of Grace not the Old Covenant of works
              Have I now become your enemy because I tell you the truth ? Gal 4:16

Comment

Hi Bob,

And since everybody ELSE who remains PAGAN (Jewish or otherwise), will be CONDEMNED by the LAW, and JUDGED by the NEW COVENANT, it's unimportant. They're ALL FIREWOOD!!!

Comment

My belief is that God gave the Sinai covenant to Israel and that covenant ended when the New and better Covenant was ratified by the blood of our Savior at Calvary.
                  ďDo not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets.
                  I did not come to destroy but to fulfil.
                  For assuredly, I say to you,
                  till heaven and earth pass away,
                  one jot or one tittle will by no means
                  pass from the law till all is fulfilled
                  - Matthew 5:17-18

Did heaven and earth pass away
                  for you to think that the old covenant has ended?

The apostolic word of God by the Twelve is the highest written authority, for it binds and loosens (Mat 16-19).
                  Then the foundational prophets - NO OTHER WORKS QUALIFY

Get rid of the dross in the Roman Canon - Raise My Word to the HIGHEST place

Comment

Eph2:14 For he himself is our peace, who has made the two groups one and has destroyed the barrier, the dividing wall of hostility, 15by setting aside in his flesh the law with its commands and regulations. His purpose was to create in himself one new humanity out of the two, thus making peace, 16 and in one body to reconcile both of them to God through the cross, by which he put to death their hostility. 17 He came and preached peace to you who were far away and peace to those who were near.18 For through him we both have access to the Father by one Spirit.

19 Consequently, you are no longer foreigners and strangers, but fellow citizens with God’s people and also members of his household, 20 built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the chief cornerstone. 21 In him the whole building is joined together and rises to become a holy temple in the Lord. 22 And in him you too are being built together to become a dwelling in which God lives by his Spirit.

What was the barrier Jesus destroyed? Paul says it was the law. Verse 22 is saying gentiles are being built together with the Jews. If Jews were/are under the OC until they receive Christ then it would seem like gentiles would also be under that covenant, but that is not the argument. The argument is that unsaved gentiles are under the NC and unsaved Jews are under the OC. In verse 15 Paul writes that Jesus set aside the Law's commands and regulations. In other words, He set aside the OC. 2Cor 3:7-11 comes right out and tells us that the 10 commandments are no longer the guide for Jews. They have been replaced by the Holy Spirit as all mankind's guide. The NC is all mankind's commands and promise. All mankind will be judged by the NC.

God's promise in Jeremiah has been fulfilled. Israel has been given a new covenant. The old one has been fulfilled, brought to an end. Amen!
                    Eph 2:14 For He Himself is our peace, who made both groups into one and broke down the barrier of the dividing wall, 15 by abolishing in His flesh the enmity, which is the Law of commandments contained in ordinances, so that in Himself He might make the two into one new man, thus establishing peace, 16 and might reconcile them both in one body to God through the cross, by it having put to death the enmity. 17 And He came and preached peace to you who were far away, and peace to those who were near; 18 for through Him we both have our access in one Spirit to the Father. 19 So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are fellow citizens with the saints, and are of Godís household, 20 having been built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus Himself being the corner stone, 21 in whom the whole building, being fitted together, is growing into a holy temple in the Lord, 22 in whom you also are being built together into a dwelling of God in the Spirit.

The one body and the holy temple you refer to is the body of Christ which is the Church (Eph 5:23, Col 1:24, 2Cor 6:16-17).

These verses do not apply to the whole world. The Christians were being formed into one body and one temple in which the spirit of God would dwell.

Thereís no indication in scripture that non-believers have part in that process. As part of that process a person dies to the flesh and leaves the jurisdiction of law behind (a law that kept Jew and Gentile separate). The removal of the barrier which distinguishes Jew and Gentile and melds them into one body occurs by baptism into Christ.

Comment

Originally posted by Conqueror View Post

“Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets.

Hi Conqueror, I have a few questions for you since you quoted Jesus statement. You indicate that the Law given at Sinai is still enforcing because Heaven and Earth have not passed away. There were 613 individual laws given at Sinai. Ten written on stone and the remainder dictated by God to Moses which Moses then wrote all 613 into the book of the law.

Have you read and memorized all of them or at least the ones that pertain to the individual Israelite?

Since you believe that all those laws are still governing, do you abide by them or are they still only for the Jews? Other Christians keep telling me to walk as Jesus walked. He kept all of the Law that pertained to Him.

If only for the Israelites how can the Law be governing them when the veil of the Temple was rent at Jesus death indicating that mankind can now have access to God without the sacrificial system?

If the Law is still in effect then why hasn't God insisted that the Temple be rebuilt so that the Law can be kept as it was when given? Remember you rewrote "not one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law" and "until Heaven and Earth pass away." That statement would mean that at least Jews must keep the law in toto.

Did Jesus fulfill all He came to do?

What does the word "fulfill" mean in verse 17?

What does "till" mean in verse 18?

How and who has been given the authority to remove any part of the Law?

Why or how could Paul write-in Gal 3:19 that the Law ended with the coming of Jesus?

Comment

Eph 2:14 For He Himself is our peace, who made both groups into one and broke down the barrier of the dividing wall, 15 by abolishing in His flesh the enmity, which is the Law of commandments contained in ordinances, so that in Himself He might make the two into one new man, thus establishing peace, 16 and might reconcile them both in one body to God through the cross, by it having put to death the enmity. 17 And He came and preached peace to you who were far away, and peace to those who were near; 18 for through Him we both have our access in one Spirit to the Father. 19 So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are fellow citizens with the saints, and are of God’s household, 20 having been built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus Himself being the corner stone, 21 in whom the whole building, being fitted together, is growing into a holy temple in the Lord, 22 in whom you also are being built together into a dwelling of God in the Spirit.

The one body and the holy temple you refer to is the body of Christ which is the Church (Eph 5:23, Col 1:24, 2Cor 6:16-17).

These verses do not apply to the whole world. The Christians were being formed into one body and one temple in which the spirit of God would dwell.
                        Oh! Jesus just broke the barrier for the Christians? For just the Christians Jesus abolished the law? Were not Jews also being formed under that broken barrier

There’s no indication in scripture that non-believers have part in that process. As part of that process a person dies to the flesh and leaves the jurisdiction of law behind (a law that kept Jew and Gentile separate). The removal of the barrier which distinguishes Jew and Gentile and melds them into one body occurs by baptism into Christ.
                        And here I thought from reading Jeremiah God was voiding the old law and giving Jews a better law. There were no qualifiers in the prophecy given by Jeremiah. It did not say that until you accept Jesus you will remain under the old covenant. He wrote: It will not be like the covenant I made with their ancestors when I took them by the hand to lead them out of Egypt, because they broke my covenant, though I was a husband to them,Ē
                        declares the Lord.

What power does a broken covenant have? A broken covenant is no covenant. How could the Jews still be under the old covenant when it no longer existed. It had been broken. Only when the new covenant was ratified were Jews and gentiles alike under the everlasting covenant.

It is there waiting for everyone. It is the everlasting covenant governing every living soul.

Comment

Hi Conqueror, I have a few questions for you since you quoted Jesus statement. You indicate that the Law given at Sinai is still enforcing because Heaven and Earth have not passed away. There were 613 individual laws given at Sinai. Ten written on stone and the remainder dictated by God to Moses which Moses then wrote all 613 into the book of the law.

Have you read and memorized all of them or at least the ones that pertain to the individual Israelite?

Since you believe that all those laws are still governing, do you abide by them or are they still only for the Jews? Other Christians keep telling me to walk as Jesus walked. He kept all of the Law that pertained to Him.

If only for the Israelites how can the Law be governing them when the veil of the Temple was rent at Jesus death indicating that mankind can now have access to God without the sacrificial system?

If the Law is still in effect then why hasn't God insisted that the Temple be rebuilt so that the Law can be kept as it was when given? Remember you rewrote "not one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law" and "until Heaven and Earth pass away." That statement would mean that at least Jews must keep the law in toto.

Did Jesus fulfill all He came to do?

What does the word "fulfill" mean in verse 17?

What does "till" mean in verse 18?

How and who has been given the authority to remove any part of the Law?

Why or how could Paul write-in Gal 3:19 that the Law ended with the coming of Jesus?

Therefore the law was our tutor to bring us to Christ,
                          that we might be justified by faith.
                          But after faith has come,
                          we are no longer under a tutor.
                          - Galatians 3:24-25 (NKJV)

The apostolic word of God by the Twelve is the highest written authority, for it binds and loosens (Mat 16-19).

Comment

.[/COLOR]

.You didn't answer my questions, but by what you wrote here you negate your thoughts in post #9.

Comment

.You didn't answer my questions, but by what you wrote here you negate your thoughts in post #9.
                              Galatians 3:24-25 negates my question, how interesting.

Not being under a tutor
                              doesn't negate the validity of the Old Covenant.

Comment

Working...
                              X