Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

What is FAITH?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is FAITH?

There are lots of scriptures ABOUT Faith, and people like to argue about where Faith comes from, but WHAT IS Faith?
    Is faith the same as belief, or is it something more?

Opinions welcome, but opinions accompanied by scripture appreciated (this is Bible Questions and Discussion, ​​​​​after all).

Originally posted by atpollard View Post
    There are lots of scriptures ABOUT Faith, and people like to argue about where Faith comes from, but WHAT IS Faith?

Opinions welcome, but opinions accompanied by scripture appreciated (this is Bible Questions and Discussion, ​​​​​after all).
    Three basic Scriptures: Heb 11:1 DEFINES the two PRIMARY attributes that MUST be present if it's Biblical Faith. (SUBSTANCE, and EVIDENCE)
    Romans 10:17 Defines where Faith comes from - i.e. God's WORD TO YOU. (Hearing of faith Gal 3:5)
    Mark 11:22 defines the application of FAITH - i.e. (believe in your HEART WITHOUT DOUBTING).

Faith is not belief (Mental assent), since Belief has no SUBSTANCE, and is EVIDENCE of nothing.

Comment

Faith is believin' what you know ain't so.
      (Mark Twain)
      _

Comment

The Holman Illustrated Bible Dictionary says quite a bit about Biblical faith. One short paragraph pretty well says it all and says it very well.:

Throughout the Scriptures faith is the trustful response to God's self revelation via His words and His actions. God initiates the relationship between Himself and human beings. He expects people to trust Him: failure to trust Him was in essence he first sin (Gen 3;1-7). Since the fall of humanity God nurtures and inspires trust in Him through what He says and does for the benefit of people who need Him. He provides evidence of His trustworthiness by acting and speaking in the external world to make Himself knowable to people who need Him. Thus, Biblical faith is a kind of limited knowledge of God.

Any typos the fault of the poster.
        Red Text added by poster for emphasis.
        I can personally testify to the validity of the two highlighted sentences in the above quote! I can ... but I won't for two reasons: [1] No one could believe it and [2] it would reveal more about who I am than I care to reveal here. However, my experience[s] prompt me to challenge any and every reader here to seriously and prayerfully examine their own lives. I suspect God has acted at least one time in the life of every Christian in a way that proves His reality beyond any possibility of doubt. In my case He certainly did! So I have absolutely no excuse to ever doubt Him.

Joh 8:36 So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed. [NIV]

Comment

Originally posted by Od:hgd View Post
          Faith is believin' what you know ain't so.
          (Mark Twain)
          _
          No, that's self delusion.

"“Faith is only believing that God will do what He said in His word that He would do." Healing the Sick, by T.L. Osborn
          Allen (Unless noted otherwise, Bible quotations are from the 1984 edition of the NIV)

Faith--Sees the invisible, believes the incredible, and receives the impossible.

Comment

It ain't what you know that gets you into trouble.
            It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.

(Mark Twain)
            _

Comment

Originally posted by Od:hgd View Post
              It ain't what you know that gets you into trouble.
              It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.

(Mark Twain)
              _
              There is a way which seems right to a man,
              But its end is the way of death.

(God) [Pro 14:12]

Comment

Originally posted by atpollard View Post

The simple biblical answer is:
                Hebrews 11:1 Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see.
                This is of course cop out answer without explanation as it relates to the totality of the questions. So on to the questions:
                WHAT IS Faith?
                Faith, as it relates to biblical faith, is a belief in the promises of God that is strong enough to motivate action and changes in your life.

As every example in the Hebrews exposition of faith makes clear, these people believed in the promises of God strongly enough to change their lives and act. And further to act beyond the law. None of the heroes listed in Hebrews 11 were commended for acting according to law, but to act higher than the law.
                It is the same as belief, in the sense of foundation, confidence, substance, as the greek word behind the "confidence" in Hebrews 11:1 intimates. It is a cornerstone of your person. That thing that is strong enough to see the unseen, to seek God and his kingdom.
                Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.

Comment

I like what Paul said about it.

Heb 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Faith is in your HANDS EVIDENCE.

IN YOUR LIFE THE WORLD HAS CHANGED< BY YOUR FAITH.

SUBSTANCE,
                  EVIDENCE,

You have change the world by YOUR FAITH,

It is Substantial.
                  It is Evident.

Comment

Faith can also be Remembering You Prayed for this to Happen, And it did.

By FAITH,

In your Hands Evidence.
                    Last edited by Forgiven Child; 06-25-19, 03:03 AM.

Comment

Joh_14:13 And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.

Joh_14:14 If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.

Joh_15:16 Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.

Joh_16:23 And in that day ye shall ask me nothing. Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in my name, he will give it you.

Joh_16:24 Hitherto have ye asked nothing in my name: ask, and ye shall receive, that your joy may be full.

Joh_16:26 At that day ye shall ask in my name: and I say not unto you, that I will pray the Father for you:

Comment

BLEEDING WOMAN:
                        • [Matthew 9:20-22 NASB] 20 And a woman who had been suffering from a hemorrhage for twelve years, came up behind Him and touched the fringe of His cloak; 21 for she was saying to herself, "If I only touch His garment, I will get well." 22 But Jesus turning and seeing her said, "Daughter, take courage; your faith has made you well." At once the woman was made well.
                        • [Mark 5:25-34 NASB] 25 A woman who had had a hemorrhage for twelve years, 26 and had endured much at the hands of many physicians, and had spent all that she had and was not helped at all, but rather had grown worse-- 27 after hearing about Jesus, she came up in the crowd behind [Him] and touched His cloak. 28 For she thought, "If I just touch His garments, I will get well." 29 Immediately the flow of her blood was dried up; and she felt in her body that she was healed of her affliction. 30 Immediately Jesus, perceiving in Himself that the power [proceeding] from Him had gone forth, turned around in the crowd and said, "Who touched My garments?" 31 And His disciples said to Him, "You see the crowd pressing in on You, and You say, 'Who touched Me?'" 32 And He looked around to see the woman who had done this. 33 But the woman fearing and trembling, aware of what had happened to her, came and fell down before Him and told Him the whole truth. 34 And He said to her, "Daughter, your faith has made you well; go in peace and be healed of your affliction."
                        • [Luke 8:43-48 NASB] 43 And a woman who had a hemorrhage for twelve years, and could not be healed by anyone, 44 came up behind Him and touched the fringe of His cloak, and immediately her hemorrhage stopped. 45 And Jesus said, "Who is the one who touched Me?" And while they were all denying it, Peter said, "Master, the people are crowding and pressing in on You." 46 But Jesus said, "Someone did touch Me, for I was aware that power had gone out of Me." 47 When the woman saw that she had not escaped notice, she came trembling and fell down before Him, and declared in the presence of all the people the reason why she had touched Him, and how she had been immediately healed. 48 And He said to her, "Daughter, your faith has made you well; go in peace."
                        BLIND MEN:
                        • [Matthew 9:27-31 NASB] 27 As Jesus went on from there, two blind men followed Him, crying out, "Have mercy on us, Son of David!" 28 When He entered the house, the blind men came up to Him, and Jesus said to them, "Do you believe that I am able to do this?" They said to Him, "Yes, Lord." 29 Then He touched their eyes, saying, "It shall be done to you according to your faith." 30 And their eyes were opened. And Jesus sternly warned them: "See that no one knows [about this!]" 31 But they went out and spread the news about Him throughout all that land.
                        • [Mark 10:46-52 NASB] 46 Then they came to Jericho. And as He was leaving Jericho with His disciples and a large crowd, a blind beggar [named] Bartimaeus, the son of Timaeus, was sitting by the road. 47 When he heard that it was Jesus the Nazarene, he began to cry out and say, "Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!" 48 Many were sternly telling him to be quiet, but he kept crying out all the more, "Son of David, have mercy on me!" 49 And Jesus stopped and said, "Call him [here.]" So they called the blind man, saying to him, "Take courage, stand up! He is calling for you." 50 Throwing aside his cloak, he jumped up and came to Jesus. 51 And answering him, Jesus said, "What do you want Me to do for you?" And the blind man said to Him, "Rabboni, [I want] to regain my sight!" 52 And Jesus said to him, "Go; your faith has made you well." Immediately he regained his sight and [began] following Him on the road.
                        • [Luke 18:35-43 NASB] 35 As Jesus was approaching Jericho, a blind man was sitting by the road begging. 36 Now hearing a crowd going by, he [began] to inquire what this was. 37 They told him that Jesus of Nazareth was passing by. 38 And he called out, saying, "Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!" 39 Those who led the way were sternly telling him to be quiet; but he kept crying out all the more, "Son of David, have mercy on me!" 40 And Jesus stopped and commanded that he be brought to Him; and when he came near, He questioned him, 41 "What do you want Me to do for you?" And he said, "Lord, [I want] to regain my sight!" 42 And Jesus said to him, "Receive your sight; your faith has made you well." 43 Immediately he regained his sight and [began] following Him, glorifying God; and when all the people saw it, they gave praise to God.
                        SICK CHILDREN
                        • [Matthew 15:21-28 NASB] 21 Jesus went away from there, and withdrew into the district of Tyre and Sidon. 22 And a Canaanite woman from that region came out and [began] to cry out, saying, "Have mercy on me, Lord, Son of David; my daughter is cruelly demon-possessed." 23 But He did not answer her a word. And His disciples came and implored Him, saying, "Send her away, because she keeps shouting at us." 24 But He answered and said, "I was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel." 25 But she came and [began] to bow down before Him, saying, "Lord, help me!" 26 And He answered and said, "It is not good to take the children's bread and throw it to the dogs." 27 But she said, "Yes, Lord; but even the dogs feed on the crumbs which fall from their masters' table." 28 Then Jesus said to her, "O woman, your faith is great; it shall be done for you as you wish." And her daughter was healed at once.
                        SINNERS
                        • [Luke 7:36-50 NASB] 36 Now one of the Pharisees was requesting Him to dine with him, and He entered the Pharisee's house and reclined [at the table.] 37 And there was a woman in the city who was a sinner; and when she learned that He was reclining [at the table] in the Pharisee's house, she brought an alabaster vial of perfume, 38 and standing behind [Him] at His feet, weeping, she began to wet His feet with her tears, and kept wiping them with the hair of her head, and kissing His feet and anointing them with the perfume. 39 Now when the Pharisee who had invited Him saw this, he said to himself, "If this man were a prophet He would know who and what sort of person this woman is who is touching Him, that she is a sinner." 40 And Jesus answered him, "Simon, I have something to say to you." And he replied, "Say it, Teacher." 41 "A moneylender had two debtors: one owed five hundred denarii, and the other fifty. 42 "When they were unable to repay, he graciously forgave them both. So which of them will love him more?" 43 Simon answered and said, "I suppose the one whom he forgave more." And He said to him, "You have judged correctly." 44 Turning toward the woman, He said to Simon, "Do you see this woman? I entered your house; you gave Me no water for My feet, but she has wet My feet with her tears and wiped them with her hair. 45 "You gave Me no kiss; but she, since the time I came in, has not ceased to kiss My feet. 46 "You did not anoint My head with oil, but she anointed My feet with perfume. 47 "For this reason I say to you, her sins, which are many, have been forgiven, for she loved much; but he who is forgiven little, loves little." 48 Then He said to her, "Your sins have been forgiven." 49 Those who were reclining [at the table] with Him began to say to themselves, "Who is this [man] who even forgives sins?" 50 And He said to the woman, "Your faith has saved you; go in peace."
                        LEPERS
                        • [Luke 17:11-19 NASB] 11 While He was on the way to Jerusalem, He was passing between Samaria and Galilee. 12 As He entered a village, ten leprous men who stood at a distance met Him; 13 and they raised their voices, saying, "Jesus, Master, have mercy on us!" 14 When He saw them, He said to them, "Go and show yourselves to the priests." And as they were going, they were cleansed. 15 Now one of them, when he saw that he had been healed, turned back, glorifying God with a loud voice, 16 and he fell on his face at His feet, giving thanks to Him. And he was a Samaritan. 17 Then Jesus answered and said, "Were there not ten cleansed? But the nine--where are they? 18 "Was no one found who returned to give glory to God, except this foreigner?" 19 And He said to him, "Stand up and go; your faith has made you well."

Comment

Working...
                        X