Galatians 3:15-16, Paul's misuse of seed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Galatians 3:15-16, Paul's misuse of seed

Where does Paul get the notion that God's promise to Abraham refers to one seed, Christ? None of the Genesis passages dealing with Abraham and his seed refer to a singular seed.

All JPS Below

Genesis 13:16
    And I will make thy seed as the dust of the earth; so that if a man can number the dust of the earth, then shall thy seed also be numbered.

Genesis 15:5
    And He brought him forth abroad, and said: 'Look now toward heaven, and count the stars, if thou be able to count them'; and He said unto him: 'So shall thy seed be.'

Genesis 16:10
    And the angel of the LORD said unto her: 'I will greatly multiply thy seed, that it shall not be numbered for multitude.

Genesis 22:17
    that in blessing I will bless thee, and in multiplying I will multiply thy seed as the stars of the heaven, and as the sand which is upon the seashore; and thy seed shall possess the gate of his enemies;

Genesis 26:4
    and I will multiply thy seed as the stars of heaven, and will give unto thy seed all these lands; and by thy seed shall all the nations of the earth bless themselves;

Looks like Paul fabricates a lot in his letters.
    Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. Leo Tolstoy

Originally posted by Gumby View Post
    Where does Paul get the notion that God's promise to Abraham refers to one seed, Christ? None of the Genesis passages dealing with Abraham and his seed refer to a singular seed.

All JPS Below

Genesis 13:16
    And I will make thy seed as the dust of the earth; so that if a man can number the dust of the earth, then shall thy seed also be numbered.

Genesis 15:5
    And He brought him forth abroad, and said: 'Look now toward heaven, and count the stars, if thou be able to count them'; and He said unto him: 'So shall thy seed be.'

Genesis 16:10
    And the angel of the LORD said unto her: 'I will greatly multiply thy seed, that it shall not be numbered for multitude.

Genesis 22:17
    that in blessing I will bless thee, and in multiplying I will multiply thy seed as the stars of the heaven, and as the sand which is upon the seashore; and thy seed shall possess the gate of his enemies;

Genesis 26:4
    and I will multiply thy seed as the stars of heaven, and will give unto thy seed all these lands; and by thy seed shall all the nations of the earth bless themselves;

Looks like Paul fabricates a lot in his letters.
    Your explanation..or objection kinda *****. To me upon a quick reading it sounds like Abrahams seed will become many people. Perhaps you can point us to your anti-bible cut and paste site so I can read and understand their objection more clearly.....as you didn't really do a god job presenting the cut and paste sites objection.

Comment

Originally posted by CrowCross View Post
      Your explanation..or objection kinda *****. To me upon a quick reading it sounds like Abrahams seed will become many people. Perhaps you can point us to your anti-bible cut and paste site so I can read and understand their objection more clearly.....as you didn't really do a god job presenting the cut and paste sites objection.
      I dont cut and paste, well except from myself.

Can you tell me where Paul is quoting from in Galatians 3:15-16 to support his contentions?
      Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. Leo Tolstoy

Comment

I dont cut and paste, well except from myself.

Can you tell me where Paul is quoting from in Galatians 3:15-16 to support his contentions?
        Will you not explain the problem you cut and pasted?

Comment

Will you not explain the problem you cut and pasted?
          The problem is Paul falsified what he said in Galatians 3:15-16. Please show me what verse for seed is Paul quoting in Genesis?

Comment

Galatians 3:15-16, Paul's misuse of seed
            Unless, of course Paul understands correctly, and YOU are the one who doesn't.

Apparently you're "Just another" Paul hater / Bible mutilator. We've got quite a few of "you" here these days.

Have fun scratching your itch.

Comment

The problem is Paul falsified what he said in Galatians 3:15-16. Please show me what verse for seed is Paul quoting in Genesis?
              I'm still trying to understand how Paul falsified

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Carabbio View Post
                Unless, of course Paul understands correctly, and YOU are the one who doesn't.

Apparently you're "Just another" Paul hater / Bible mutilator. We've got quite a few of "you" here these days.

Have fun scratching your itch.
                So, basically you can't quote what verse in Genesis Paul is referring to?

Paul can't either.

Comment

I'm still trying to understand how Paul falsified
                  Tell me what verse in Genesis Paul is referring to to come up with the single seed that refers to Christ?

It shouldn't be too difficult.

Comment

So, basically you can't quote what verse in Genesis Paul is referring to?

Paul can't either.
                    You will find that those that follow Paul will say if Paul wrote it it is GODS WORD, even if there is no support for it anywhere else in Scripture or that it actually Disagrees with other Scripture.

Comment

Originally posted by Forgiven Child View Post
                      You will find that those that follow Paul will say if Paul wrote it it is GODS WORD, even if there is no support for it anywhere else in Scripture or that it actually Disagrees with other Scripture.
                      Well, I don't follow Paul.

Comment

Well, I don't follow Paul.
                        Jews NEVER FOLLOWED Paul, even though the Apostles were making converts from among the Jews daily.

There is one time Many Jews followed Paul, but Paul had a tempter tantrum, they would not continue to buy what he was selling.

Comment

Originally posted by Forgiven Child View Post
                          Jews NEVER FOLLOWED Paul, even though the Apostles were making converts from among the Jews daily.

There is one time Many Jews followed Paul, but Paul had a tempter tantrum, they would not continue to buy what he was selling.
                          The learned Jews didn't follow Paul.

Comment

The learned Jews didn't follow Paul.
                            That is correct.
                            One week Paul came to them and they were Eager to learn, the next week Paul spoke things that were against the Prophets and the Jews rose up around him.

Act 13:43 Now when the congregation was broken up, many of the Jews and religious proselytes followed Paul and Barnabas: who, speaking to them, persuaded them to continue in the grace of God.
                            Act 13:44 And the next sabbath day came almost the whole city together to hear the word of God.

Act 13:45 But when the Jews saw the multitudes, they were filled with envy, and spake against those things which were spoken by Paul, contradicting and blaspheming.

It seems like a SPIN.

Comment

Tell me what verse in Genesis Paul is referring to to come up with the single seed that refers to Christ?

It shouldn't be too difficult.
                              Nope, easy: First, the single seed Paul is referring to is the Christ. It should be obvious that Jesus didn't come on the scene until many generations of Abraham's offspring; however, it was through the male line that Jesus was a descendant of Abraham.

Gen 22:2
                              Then God said, "Take your son, your only son, Isaac, whom you love, and go to the region of Moriah. Sacrifice him there as a burnt offering on one of the mountains I will tell you about."

Gen 22:8
                              Abraham answered, "God himself will provide the lamb for the burnt offering, my son." And the two of them went on together.

Gen 22:12-13
                              12 "Do not lay a hand on the boy," he said. "Do not do anything to him. Now I know that you fear God, because you have not withheld from me your son, your only son."
                              13 Abraham looked up and there in a thicket he saw a ram caught by its horns. He went over and took the ram and sacrificed it as a burnt offering instead of his son.

Gen 22:15-18
                              15 The angel of the Lord called to Abraham from heaven a second time 16 and said, "I swear by myself, declares the Lord, that because you have done this and have not withheld your son, your only son, 17 I will surely bless you and make your descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky and as the sand on the seashore. Your descendants will take possession of the cities of their enemies, 18 and through your offspring all nations on earth will be blessed, because you have obeyed me."

Christ was the offspring through whom all nations will be blessed.

Gal 3:15-16
                              15 Brothers, let me take an example from everyday life. Just as no one can set aside or add to a human covenant that has been duly established, so it is in this case. 16 The promises were spoken to Abraham and to his seed. The Scripture does not say "and to seeds," meaning many people, but "and to your seed," meaning one person, who is Christ.

Gen 12:7
                              The Lord appeared to Abram and said, "To your offspring I will give this land." So he built an altar there to the Lord, who had appeared to him.

Gen 13:15-16
                              All the land that you see I will give to you and your offspring forever.
                              Allen (Unless noted otherwise, Bible quotations are from the 1984 edition of the NIV)

Faith--Sees the invisible, believes the incredible, and receives the impossible.

Comment

Working...
                              X