Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Bad Grammar by Trinitarian academics

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here is a simple question for you

If the goal is to mask a “name” yahveh, do you think yehveh would be the chosen mask?

Wouldn’t you expect a greater ponunciation distance?

(Feel free to work with v or w in a question like this.)
    Last edited by Steven Avery; 10-03-17, 07:20 PM.

Comment

• And a second question which has not been touched.

The Zohar talks of the cholam in the divine name. The quotes are earlier in the thread.

Wouldn’t such Hebraic evidences be primary? Your thoughts?

Comment

• One more. Do you have an explanation for the overwhelming preponderance of YeHVaH, and the small remnant number of YeHoVaH in the Masoretic text manuscripts?
        Last edited by Steven Avery; 10-03-17, 07:45 PM.

Comment

• And just to return.

Isn’’t the direct relationship of the many Jeho- theophoric names being based on Jehovah far simpler than the four-stage morphological explanation? And doesn”t the consistency of a large number of easy-connection names mitIgate against complex explanations that require various steps over hundreds of years, and support the simple and easy.

Remember, I answered all your questions .

Thanks!

Steven (boarding for Iceland and then Israel in a few.)
          Last edited by Steven Avery; 10-03-17, 07:46 PM.

Comment

• Even though it was not the purpose of the thread OP, I would say that this thread has shown conclusively that Yehovah stands strong as the tetragram pronounced, with yahweh as the great pretender, which has difficulty standing up to scholarly scrutiny.

Similarly, the yahweh==jove==jupiter connection must, at the very least, be given very earnest consideration.

Clearly, Barry floundered aimlessly trying to attack these two understandings. By contrast, Jameson offered good thoughts, integrity in dialog, without denting the Yehovah position.

Steven
            Last edited by Steven Avery; 10-04-17, 03:14 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Steven Avery View Post
              Even though it was not the purpose of the thread OP, I would say that this thread has shown conclusively that Yehovah stands strong as the tetragram pronounced, with yahweh as the great pretender, which has difficulty standing up to scholarly scrutiny.

Similarly, the yahweh==jove==jupiter connection must, at the very least, be given very earnest consideration.

Clearly, Barry floundered aimlessly trying to attack these two understandings. By contrast, Jameson offered good thoughts, integrity in dialog, without denting the Yehovah position.

Steven
              I consider it two possible views, still. Jameson makes some good points it SEEMS to be contradicting your view Steven. And still I wonder about the "correct" pronunciation.

If I could UNDERSTAND exactly what you guys were saying...it might could make a DIFF here, actually.
              Shema will change the Christian World.

Turn it upside down. To where it once was, the POV of JESUS, his DISCIPLES and his SERVANTS.

Know God YHWH Elohim is One. And love Him with all. Mk 12, red letter words.

Comment

• Fifth little question.

In post #148, Jameson offers his morphological explanation of way he feels Yah- was the original theophoric name, and the names morphed en masse to Yeho— as we see in the Hebrew Bible today, which does match Yehovah. I would like some conjectured specifics today.

1) What were the original names, now lost to eternity?

2) In these theories, were the earlier forms written in the Hebrew Bible, say at 700 at 1000 BC?

I am only asking for your conjecture to match your theory, using maybe 3 names like Jehoshaphat or any current Jeho- names of your choice. I’m not asking for actual evidences, simply how the theory would work. What was the starting point, and was it in the Hebrew Bible?

Thanks!

Steven

Comment

• The sixth question is simple. Do you have any objection to pointing out that the classical Latin Jove is extremely close to Yahweh? Or, to put it in reverse, if you start with our sound Yahweh, and want to represent it into classical Latin, Jove is the result.

Comment

• Originally posted by nothead View Post
                    If I could UNDERSTAND exactly what you guys were saying...it might could make a DIFF here, actually.
                    It makes a big diff whether or not you understand.

Comment

It makes a big diff whether or not you understand.
                      Maybe two decades of study might let me understand a little more. What I DO understand is that Jameson makes enough argument...that the ISSUE is still up in the air.

What I DON'T understand is how you consider it not debatable at all...in the end. But I ALSO understand you are an idealist, since a KJV Onliest and Absolute Inerrancyst.

You WANT things to be true so then they ARE true.

Turn it upside down. To where it once was, the POV of JESUS, his DISCIPLES and his SERVANTS.

Comment

• Originally posted by nothead
                        ...how you consider it not debatable at all...
                        We can agree that many truths are debatable. For that reason, I discuss and debate my beliefs and convictions that Jesus is the Messiah of Israel. Similarly, my acceptance of the name of Jehovah as correct, and total rejection of yahweh, is certainly capable of debate.

if a person makes a strong argument against a position, or conviction, I hold, I will be happy to acknowledge the strength of the argument. However, I have not seen any for yahweh or similar forms.

Steven
                        Last edited by Steven Avery; 10-05-17, 12:34 PM.

Comment

• Question #7 is for those who agree that there are spiritual entities, heavenly, and from the other side.

Can you accept that two different languages and cultures, quite distant from one another, can be calling upon the same name, the same entity, with the same sounds, even if we do not see an etymological connection?

Steven

Comment

We can agree that many truths are debatable. For that reason, I discuss and debate my beliefs and convictions that Jesus is the Messiah of Israel. Similarly, my acceptance of the name of Jehovah as correct, and total rejection of yahweh, is certainly capable of debate.

if a person makes a strong argument against a position, or conviction, I hold, I will be happy to acknowledge the strength of the argument. However, I have not seen any for yahweh or similar forms.

Steven
                            You acknowledge not a SMIDGEN of strength in Jameson's arguments sir?

He has no axe to grind, at least overall. He could care LESS how to pronounce the name of God. He is only presenting what he thinks the TRADITION is.

And this not at all just a wayward tradition but the cohesive one.

Comment

• Nehemia Gordon:

“’In my brand-new Support Team Study,

10 Rabbis Speak Out on the Name - Part 1,

I bring evidence from newly discovered Hebrew manuscripts proving that Jewish rabbis preserved the true pronunciation of God's holy name. I also explain why scholars ignore Jewish sources while searching out every pagan non-Hebrew text they can find. I look forward to reading your comments!”’

This is posted today, using Facebook and a web page.”

My plan is to shortly do a review of these evidences.

Steven

Comment

• Originally posted by nothead View Post
                                You acknowledge not a SMIDGEN of strength in Jameson's arguments sir?
                                The discussion awaits his answers to my seven questions, although one is based on accepting spiritual entities.

In general, atheists, liberals and unbelievers look at the Bible text differently than believers.
                                Any idea of an objective neutrality is a myth.

From his perspective Jameson asked some reasonable questions, which I answered.

Steven
                                Last edited by Steven Avery; 10-05-17, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X