Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

Edited to add more information for posters:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

My koine compositions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My koine compositions

This thread is for composing in koine, not in koine-Attic hash, or in Attic and so on. Vocabulary would almost exclusively be derived from either the GNT or the LXX. The style of composition will be that of the blessed apostle John.

So here's a short little paragraph I just composed:

μετὰ δὲ περιπατοῦντας ἐπί άνθρακες πυρός οἱ παῖδες τοῦ Βάαλ ἔκοψαν τὰ δέρματα ἑαυτῶν μετά μαχαιρῶν ἕως ἐξῆλθεν τό αἷμα αὐτῶν. ταῦτα θεωροῦντα ἀπῆλθον ἐκεῖθεν. καὶ ἐν τῇ καρδίᾳ μου πένθος μέγα

What makes you think that the rest of us want to waste our time correcting your posts that are not "compositions" at all. They are puzzle boards. You've simply cut and pasted from other compositions to piece together your own sentences, which are consistently ridden with broken syntax and muffled grammar. Just cut it out already, will you?
    I have permission to post on the Biblical Languages forum, as per email correspondence with Diane S.

Comment

Which type of Koine? It's not monolithic, you know, Luke writes quite differently from John (if you were consistent, you would accuse Luke of a "Koine-Attic hash"), and both are very different from Paul, and Hebrews is different from all of them.

Okay, so what's wrong with your attempt above? A lot actually.

μετά: It's a preposition, and so used incorrectly here. You either need to use a conjunction and then change περιπατοῦντας into a main verb, or use the aorist participle, περιπατήσαντες.

Speaking of the participle, you have written the accusative, but it needs to be nominative to modify the subject.

άνθρακες should be accusative, ἄνθρακας, to be the object of the preposition.

Yes, μετά with the genitive object is translated "with" but that is used of accompaniment. What you want here is a dative of means,

ἕως οὗ would be more idiomatic for Koine in general.

I assume you want θεωροῦντα to modify "I" the understood subject of ἀπῆλθον? Then θεωρῶν, better yet the aorist, θεωρήσας

Greek does not like to omit the verb in such contexts as you write in your last clause, you should include ἔστι(ν) preferably as the first word, and so accented to show the existential use.

Comment

Originally posted by Jameson View Post
        What makes you think that the rest of us want to waste our time correcting your posts that are not "compositions" at all. They are puzzle boards. You've simply cut and pasted from other compositions to piece together your own sentences, which are consistently ridden with broken syntax and muffled grammar. Just cut it out already, will you?
        I'm willing to do a few just to show casual visitors how far off the mark he actually is. Yes, the cut and past is painfully obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry Hofstetter View Post
          Which type of Koine? It's not monolithic, you know, Luke writes quite differently from John (if you were consistent, you would accuse Luke of a "Koine-Attic hash"), and both are very different from Paul, and Hebrews is different from all of them.

Okay, so what's wrong with your attempt above? A lot actually.

μετά: It's a preposition, and so used incorrectly here. You either need to use a conjunction and then change περιπατοῦντας into a main verb, or use the aorist participle, περιπατήσαντες.

Speaking of the participle, you have written the accusative, but it needs to be nominative to modify the subject.

άνθρακες should be accusative, ἄνθρακας, to be the object of the preposition.

Yes, μετά with the genitive object is translated "with" but that is used of accompaniment. What you want here is a dative of means,

ἕως οὗ would be more idiomatic for Koine in general.

I assume you want θεωροῦντα to modify "I" the understood subject of ἀπῆλθον? Then θεωρῶν, better yet the aorist, θεωρήσας

Greek does not like to omit the verb in such contexts as you write in your last clause, you should include ἔστι(ν) preferably as the first word, and so accented to show the existential use.
          The only error above is άνθρακες, which was due to carelessness on my part. Thanks for the correction.

Comment

Originally posted by John Milton View Post

The only error above is άνθρακες, which was due to carelessness on my part. Thanks for the correction.
            You can reject correction all you want. It won't change what we think of you and how you operate.
            אֹהֵ֣ב מ֖וּסָר אֹ֣הֵֽב דָּ֑עַת וְשֹׂנֵ֖א תוֹכַ֣חַת בָּֽעַר׃
            ὁ ἀγαπῶν παιδείαν ἀγαπᾷ αἴσθησιν, ὁ δὲ μισῶν ἐλέγχους ἄφρων.
            Qui diligit disciplinam diligit scientiam; qui autem odit increpationes insipiens est.
            «Prov. 12:1»
            Here we have a definitional statement to determine who is ἄφρων taken directly from the Bible. You despise and reject correction from everyone who tries to help you and set you on the correct path to learning. You are certainly qualified for the category.
            I have permission to post on the Biblical Languages forum, as per email correspondence with Diane S.

Comment

*γελῶ*

ὡς προεῖπεν...

νῦν δὲ εὕδειν ὁ χρόνος ἐστιν.

εὐφράνθης, Ἰάμησον
              Last edited by S Walch; 05-19-17, 06:46 PM. Reason: Missed of sigma final :(

Comment

Here's a proverb I just came up with:

τί ἐστιν ὁ γάμος τῷ εὐνούχῳ, ἢ πλοῦτος τῇ ερημίτη , ἢ Θεὸς τῷ προφήτῃ τῆς αἰσχύνης ?

Translation: "What is marriage to the eunuch, or riches to the hermit, or God to the prophet of Shame (i.e. Baal) ? "

Comment

All of these were substantive corrections, except ἕως οὗ, which was more stylistic. That you do not see them as errors shows the depths of your ignorance about the language.

Comment

Here's another saying I just came up with:

μετατιθέμενοι ὁ θεός εἰς ἄνδρα , αὐτοὶ ἐγένοντο τυφλοὶ καὶ κωφοὶ

Translation: "Changing God into a man, they became blind and deaf."

Comment

Here's another saying I just came up with:

μετατιθέμενοι ὁ θεός εἰς ἄνδρα , αὐτοὶ ἐγένοντο τυφλοὶ καὶ κωφοὶ
                      Should be τὸν θεόν. I also suspect that the aorist participle would sound much better.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry Hofstetter View Post

Should be τὸν θεόν. I also suspect that the aorist participle would sound much better.
                        That's correct! Well done for making a valid correction(red above).

Comment

n/t
                          Last edited by dizerner; 05-20-17, 02:00 AM.
                          - inactive -

Comment

Here's a little something I just composed:

βλέποντες τὸν ἅγιον σπασάμενον τὴν μάχαιραν τοῦ Πνεύματος οἱ προφῆται του Θεάνθρωπου φεύγουσιν

Translation: Seeing the Saint wielding the sword of the Spirit, the prophets of the God-man fled.
                            σπασάμενον doesn't occur in the GNT. Hope I've declined it properly ( present accusative participle singular).

Comment

Here's another saying by Ἱωάννης δὲ Ψευδοομιλτόνος :

καλὸν ἦν ἀνθρώπῳ εἰ οὐκ πιστεύει εἰς τὸν Θεόν ἢ πιστεύει ἐν τρισὶν δαιμονίοις μετασχηματιζόμενοι ὡς ὁ εἷς θεός

Translation: It were better for a man to not believe in God than to believe in three demons masquerading as the one God.

Comment

Working...
                              X