Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

The Missing Cholam

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by John Milton
    He says that he cant be 100% sure if it is b or v. So its only you and Jameson who think it is crystal clear that the Yemeni is uttering v.
    They also say that their eyes and ears say "v" not "b". That is good enough to include them as part of the '3'.

You also have failed to link (or at least tell us the forum name) to where this discussion takes place. How are we not to know there's more people that agree that it's a /v/ and not /b/?

Originally posted by John Milton
    You are not able to read Psalm 113 and 114 in ANY pronunciation.
    You have no evidence of this, so remain quiescent.

We do however have evidence that you can't read Psalm 113 or 114 in Yemenite Hebrew. Wanna have a crack at modern Hebrew so we can add that to the evidence pile?

Comment

• Originally posted by S Walch View Post
      They also say that their eyes and ears say "v" not "b". That is good enough to include them as part of the '3'.

You also have failed to link (or at least tell us the forum name) to where this discussion takes place. How are we not to know there's more people that agree that it's a /v/ and not /b/?

You have no evidence of this, so remain quiescent.

We do however have evidence that you can't read Psalm 113 or 114 in Yemenite Hebrew. Wanna have a crack at modern Hebrew so we can add that to the evidence pile?
      I have never heard you read a sentence in Hebrew. So that says all.

Also, you are deceived if you insist I cannot read Psalm 113 or 114 in Yemeni Hebrew. I have read these psalms out for all to hear.

Comment

• Originally posted by John Milton View Post
        I have never heard you read a sentence in Hebrew.
        This is true.

So that says all.
        This is not.

All you can say is that you haven't heard me read a sentence out in any Hebrew pronunciation. This however does not mean that I can't, and you are not in a position to say so dogmatically.

Also, you are deceived if you insist I cannot read Psalm 113 or 114 in Yemeni Hebrew. I have read these psalms out for all to hear.
        The evidence of Yemenite pronunciation is that they differentiate between /v/ and /b/. You only do this in one recording, and for one word only.

Therefore you cannot read Psalm 113 or 114 out in Yemenite Hebrew. You have done this for all to hear.

Comment

• Someone has deceived you into thinking that just because a person does not utter the letter bet without dagesh as “v” that they cannot possibly be reading Yemeni Hebrew.

Comment

Someone has deceived you into thinking that just because a person does not utter the letter bet without dagesh as “v” that they cannot possibly be reading Yemeni Hebrew.
            No one has done any such thing. You think this is what will prove that you use a Yemenite pronunciation? No. That's not it.
            I have permission to post on the Biblical Languages forum, as per email correspondence with Diane S.

Comment

• Don’t know what you are going about now, really. And dont really care.

Comment

Don’t know what you are going about now, really. And don’t really care.
                Your whole point is that you read better than everyone else. Isn't that your point?
                I have permission to post on the Biblical Languages forum, as per email correspondence with Diane S.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jameson View Post

Your whole point is that you read better than everyone else. Isn't that your point?
                  Well if you can read Psalm 114 better than I in the Yemeni pronunciation as here, then ofcourse no....

Comment

• Originally posted by John Milton
                    Someone has deceived you into thinking that just because a person does not utter the letter bet without dagesh as v that they cannot possibly be reading Yemeni Hebrew.
                    The one who was deceived in this case was you, JM. No one else believed unsubstantiated claims that Yemenites pronounced hard /b/'s no matter what. You took an un-sourced comment on a WIKIPEDIA article, and ran away with it.

The evidence from three actual speakers of Yemenite Hebrew demonstrates that such an understanding is false, and not based on any substantiated evidence.

Therefore it is right to conclude that you don't mimic anything in Yemenite Hebrew.

Furthermore, Jameson can read, type, and fluently speak Hebrew. He doesn't have to do any Yemenite pronunciation mimicking to prove anything. He de facto reads out anything better than you can.

Not to mention he'll understand what he's uttering. Something you're not capable of doing.

I'll be also willing to bet there's more people that have agreed that they hear /b/ and not /v/ in that Psalm 113 & 114 reading. You're just not willing to show us, and admit that the fault was yours all along

Comment

• I understand most of what I am able to read in Biblical Hebrew. Its one of those languages, even more so than Greek, which is virtually impossible to read if one is not understanding what they’re reading. Granted, I am not able to speak Israeli, that Yiddish admixture, not even read it , but thats a different issue and animal altogether.

Comment

I understand most of what I am able to read in Biblical Hebrew. It’s one of those languages, even more so than Greek, which is virtually impossible to read if one is not understanding what they’re reading. Granted, I am not able to speak Israeli, that Yiddish admixture, not even read it , but that’s a different issue and animal altogether.
                        "Magic magic magic. Hebrew is magic! Mystical blah blah." That's what I am reading here. Calling Israeli Hebrew a "Yiddish admixture" and trying to act like the millions of Israelis who speak Hebrew from birth don't got nuthin' up on the anonymous "John Milton" who gets his ejumacation from the holy ghost. Gibberish!

Comment

• We're clearly dealing with a racist, Jameson. Referring to Israeli Hebrew as a different "animal" is not acceptable language to use.

Didn't think he could sink lower than the depths he's gotten to. How wrong I was.

Comment

• Originally posted by S Walch View Post
                            We're clearly dealing with a racist, Jameson. Referring to Israeli Hebrew as a different "animal" is not acceptable language to use.

Didn't think he could sink lower than the depths he's gotten to. How wrong I was.
                            Yeah, he is certainly anti-Semitic.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jameson View Post
                              Every language, every dialect, better than everyone, everyday, every way!

(However, "different animal" is a wide-ranging colloquialism, conclusions should not be overdone.)

Comment

• Originally posted by Steven Avery View Post
                                Every language, every dialect, better than everyone, everyday, every way!

(However, "different animal" is a wide-ranging colloquialism, conclusions should not be overdone.)
                                I wasn't specifically referring to that, but to the point that he thinks Jews don't know the Jewish language. He wishes to nullify the experience of 8 million Israelis and so many more Jews in America and around the world who speak Hebrew. What does the experience of Jews and Israelis matter to someone who thinks that he knows better than everyone?

Comment

Working...
                                X