Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Mark 9:20, test of your ability to read and understand biblical Koine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark 9:20, test of your ability to read and understand biblical Koine

Mark 9:20–

καὶ ἤνεγκαν αὐτὸν πρὸς αὐτόν. καὶ ἰδὼν αὐτὸν τὸ πνεῦμα εὐθὺς συνεσπάραξεν αὐτόν, καὶ πεσὼν ἐπὶ τῆς γῆς ἐκυλίετο ἀφρίζων.
    What word is the participle ἰδὼν modifying ?

On first sight, I'd read it as the boy... "And when [the boy] saw [Jesus], the spirit immediately threw him into a convulsion."
    I have permission to post on the Biblical Languages forum, as per email correspondence with Diane S.

Comment

Originally posted by Jameson View Post
      On first sight, I'd read it as the boy... "And when [the boy] saw [Jesus], the spirit immediately threw him into a convulsion."
      So ἰδὼν is modifying “the boy” in which verse exactly ?

Comment

Originally posted by Jameson View Post
        No, that would require ἰδόντα, since you would have παῖδα in the accusative (as we have the pronoun αὐτόν). So, if a demonic πνεῦμα can be thought of as personal and modified with a masculine participle, how much more so can the Spirit of the living God be thought of as personal?

Comment

Originally posted by Barry Hofstetter View Post

(1) No, that would require ἰδόντα, since you would have παῖδα in the accusative (as we have the pronoun αὐτόν).

(1) So, if a demonic πνεῦμα can be thought of as personal and modified with a masculine participle, how much more so can the Spirit of the living God be thought of as personal?
          (1) Bingo!

(2) It’s precisely because the Spirit of God is never modified with masculine pronouns that every wise reader of the bible should conclude that IT is not a person.

Comment

καὶ ἰδὼν αὐτὸν τὸ πνεῦμα εὐθὺς συνεσπάραξεν αὐτόν,

The subject of this sentence is πνεῦμα, the child is the direct object (αὐτόν above in red), so how can ἰδὼν ( nominative) be modifying the child , especially “on first sight” ?

One’s grammar would have to be extremely weak to think ἰδὼν is modifying anything other than τὸ πνεῦμα here.

Comment

I think Jameson wants to assume the word τό παιδίον into the sentence:

καὶ ἰδὼν (τό παιδίον) αὐτὸν , τὸ πνεῦμα εὐθὺς συνεσπάραξεν αὐτόν,

For starters, this would still be an instance of ad sensum.

Or perhaps he would like to assume the word ὁ υἱός here ?

καὶ ἰδὼν (ὁ υἱός) αὐτὸν τὸ πνεῦμα εὐθὺς συνεσπάραξεν αὐτόν,

How exactly would this clause make grammatical sense within the sentence? Would καὶ ἰδὼν αὐτὸν then become a weird dependent clause of some sort ? Lol. How would it syntactically relate to the sentence as a whole ? Foolishness.

Comment

Originally posted by John Milton View Post
                I think Jameson wants to assume the word τό παιδίον into the sentence:

καὶ ἰδὼν (τό παιδίον) αὐτὸν , τὸ πνεῦμα εὐθὺς συνεσπάραξεν αὐτόν,

For starters, this would still be an instance of ad sensum.

Or perhaps he would like to assume the word ὁ υἱός here ?

καὶ ἰδὼν (ὁ υἱός) αὐτὸν τὸ πνεῦμα εὐθὺς συνεσπάραξεν αὐτόν,

How exactly would this clause make grammatical sense within the sentence? Would καὶ ἰδὼν αὐτὸν then become a weird dependent clause of some sort ? Lol. How would it syntactically relate to the sentence as a whole ? Foolishness.

The text uses an expected masculine pronoun when referring to the boy, most likely because of the earlier use of υἱος. But in 21, ἰδὠν can only modify the subject.

Comment

The text uses an expected masculine pronoun when referring to the boy, most likely because of the earlier use of υἱος. But in 21, ἰδὠν can only modify the subject.
                  You mean verse 20, there is no ἰδὠν in “21.”

Correct , in verse 20 ἰδὠν can only modify the subject ( τὸ πνεῦμα). See also following examples:

Τότε Ἡρῴδης ἰδὼν (Matthew 2:16)

Ἰδὼν δὲ ὁ Ἰησοῦς (Matthew 8:18)

ἰδὼν ὁ Ἰησοῦς (Matthew 9:2)

ἰδὼν ὁ Ἰησοῦς (Matthew 9:4)

ἰδὼν Ἰούδας (Matthew 27:3)

ἰδὼν δὲ ὁ Πιλᾶτος (27:24)

ἰδὼν ὁ Ἰησοῦς (Mark 2:5)

Ἰάϊρος καὶ ἰδὼν αὐτὸν (Mark 5:22)

καὶ ἰδὼν αὐτὸν τὸ πνεῦμα (Mark 9:20)

ἰδὼν δὲ ὁ Ἰησοῦς (Mark 9:25)

ἰδὼν δὲ ὁ Ἰησοῦς (Mark 10:14)

ὁ Ἰησοῦς, ἰδὼν αὐτὸν (Mark 12:34)

Ἰδὼν δὲ ὁ κεντυρίων (Mark 15:39)

Ζαχαρίας ἰδών (Luke 1:12)

ἰδὼν δὲ Σίμων Πέτρος (Luke 5:8)

ὁ δὲ Φαρισαῖος ἰδὼν (Luke 11:38)

ἰδὼν δὲ αὐτὴν ὁ Ἰησοῦς (Luke 13:12)

ἰδὼν δὲ αὐτὸν ὁ Ἰησοῦς εἶπεν (Luke 18:24)

ὁ δὲ Ἡρῴδης ἰδὼν τὸν Ἰησοῦν (Luke 23:8)

ἰδὼν δὲ ὁ ἑκατοντάρχης (Luke 23:47)

τοῦτον ἰδὼν ὁ Ἰησοῦς κατακείμενον (John 5:6)

Ἰησοῦς οὖν ἰδὼν τὴν μητέρα (John 19:26)

τοῦτον οὖν ἰδὼν ὁ Πέτρος λέγει τῷ Ἰησοῦ (John 21:21)

ὃς ἰδὼν Πέτρον καὶ Ἰωάνην (Acts 3:3)

ὁ δὲ Μωϋσῆς ἰδὼν ἐθαύμαζεν τὸ ὅραμα (Acts 7:31)

ἰδὼν δὲ ὁ Σίμων ὅτι (Acts 8:18)

τότε ἰδὼν ὁ ἀνθύπατος (Acts 13:12)

οὓς ἰδὼν ὁ Παῦλος (Acts 28:15)

Comment

You mean verse 20, there is no ἰδὠν in “21.”

Correct , in verse 20 ἰδὠν can only modify the subject ( τὸ πνεῦμα). See also following examples:

(snip)
                    Of course vs. 20. Typos happen. I don't need a bunch of examples because I know how the language works. You're right that it's a "classic" ad sensum. As far as I know, this has never been in dispute, and nobody has every had a problem understanding what Mark 9:20 says. Of course, we could get snarky and talk about gender identification... (that's a joke, son, a joke in case you don't get it).

Comment

Of course vs. 20. Typos happen. I don't need a bunch of examples because I know how the language works. You're right that it's a "classic" ad sensum. As far as I know, this has never been in dispute, and nobody has every had a problem understanding what Mark 9:20 says. Of course, we could get snarky and talk about gender identification... (that's a joke, son, a joke in case you don't get it).
                      Steven Avery in the other thread has highlighted a Trinitarian “scholar” by the name of “Buttman” who apparently disputes ( denies) that ἰδὠν modifies τὸ πνεῦμα:

CONSTBUCTIO AD SYNESIN IN THE PREDICATE.
                      ... b) The predicate follows the natural gender of the subject. Of this the examples are most numerous in the Apocalypse, in accordance with the style of the author (see § 123, 7 p. 80). ... fj-ivuL. (But ... in Mark ix. 20 ἰδὼν does not refer to τὸ πνεῦμα see § 144, 18 c) p. 299.)

A Grammar of the New Testament Greek (1891)
                      By Alexander Buttmann
                      https://books.google.com/books?id=oA9CAAAAIAAJ&pg=PA130
                      p. 129-130

Wonder what his rationale is.

Comment

The grammar seems ambiguous to me. I think there are a couple of different ways to understand the text, and each has its difficulties. It is worth noting that another participle is used with a different main verb after the καἰ. Is it to be taken with spirit as well? We wouldn't usually conceive of a spirit rolling around and foaming at the mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by CL4P-TP View Post
                          The grammar seems ambiguous to me. I think there are a couple of different ways to understand the text, and each has its difficulties. It is worth noting that another participle is used with a different main verb after the καἰ. Is it to be taken with spirit as well? We wouldn't usually conceive of a spirit rolling around and foaming at the mouth.
                          So how would you parse the grammar here ?

What word is ἰδὼν modifying ?

Comment

It could refer to the son or the spirit. It is conceivable, though in my opinion much less likely, that it could refer to Jesus. Just because a construction has a grammatical explanation, it doesn't mean that the author followed the rules of grammar. We unconsciously mess up grammar all the time in English. Example: Today, I hit a deer going to work. Who or what was on the way to work? Language study doesn't always yield clear answers.

Comment

I've never heard anyone use the expression "parse the grammar," nor do I think that a circumstantial participle is "modifying" a word. You could ask what the subject of the circumstantial participle is and what it's in agreement with. You could ask that someone explain the syntax and what is happening with the various participles in the verse.

I read ἰδών as referring to the boy because there are other participles in the verse which obviously refer to him. It would have been more natural for the author to use a passive verb after the first to keep the boy the subject of the verb. As CL4P said, all of the options are problematic in one way or another.
                              I have permission to post on the Biblical Languages forum, as per email correspondence with Diane S.

Comment

Working...
                              X