Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Why I think A John did not consider Holy Spirit to be a person

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jameson View Post

Someone can use the word doctor as an analogy or in allegory. That doesn't mean that the word means a non-person. A paraclete is a legal function. It refers to a person who advocates for another. Of course there is the possibility of using it allegorically. This doesn't mean that it should always be an allegory. That's where your problem is.
    Were you ignorant of the fact that Philo used the word παράκλητος to denote things rather than persons before I mentioned this in this thread ? The fact that he might have been doing so “allegorically” ( whatever that means) is a separate issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Steven Avery View Post
      The argument that paraclete must be a "person" was dumb on a variety of levels, and does not fit the Greek lexical evidence, which in cases like Philo comes from Jewish sources.

It is fine to agree with Barry Hofstetter on some things, I do so as well, but you picked a doozy. Barry made all sorts of definitive declarations that were simply wrong, and then gave pathetic explanation attempts. And it was in that context that John made the humorous :"insult" about the dynamic duo.

You still would do much better to accept the correction, and move on.

Your first problem is simple logic. John did say that paraclete always means anything at all. That was the position taken by Barry (and you.) Barry was extremely wrong, you were moderately wrong.

The second problem is that you should follow the thread, and read what is available from the article that had the Philo section. You would see that the "legal function" element is minor in the historical lexical usage.
      Infact had he bothered to read that article, he would have learnt that the “legal function” element in Philo’s use of the word is practically nonexistent. ....Barry’s Beta.

Comment

Originally posted by John Milton View Post
        Infact had he bothered to read that article, he would have learnt that the “legal function” element in Philo’s use of the word is practically nonexistent. ....Barry’s Beta.
        And I now have the quote from p. 219 in that post.

The whole range of evidence for the appearance of parakletos in Classical and Hellenistic Greek, as a rabbinic loan-word, and in patristic texts denies that it is a term deriving from legal activity. Bauer was right when he said that ‘the technical sense of advocate cannot be demonstrated
        This has become an interesting study to see if either Jameson or Barry Hofstetter can acknowledge that they erred.

Remember, the studies began with their insistence that a paraclete must be a "person".
        Last edited by Steven Avery; 02-23-19, 09:04 PM.

Comment

And I now have the quote from p. 219 in that post.

This has become an interesting study to see if either Jameson or Barry Hofstetter can acknowledge that they erred.

Remember, the studies began with their insistence that a paraclete must be a "person".
          Yep!

Comment

Originally posted by John Milton View Post

Yep!
            That is not what I claimed, nor, I believe, Jason. Care to try again?

Comment

Originally posted by Barry Hofstetter View Post

That is not what I claimed, nor, I believe, Jason. Care to try again?
              You claimed that in the Greek literature of that time παράκλητος never denotes a person , thus παράκλητος as used in the GNT is not a person.

(I know you are now trying to back-track, but I will go along with your game, for the time being. )

Comment

And I did expect Barry to try to rewrite the history of his claims .

However, John, you have it in reverse in the last post, if you are doing it for reverse humor, it is a bit too subtle.

Comment

And I did expect Barry to try to rewrite the history of his claims .

However, John, you have it in reverse in the last post, if you are doing it for reverse humor, it is a bit too subtle.
                  Oh, oh ,..my bad. That would be way too subtle indeed. I meant to say the following:

You claimed that in the Greek literature of that time παράκλητος always denotes a person , thus παράκλητος as used in the GNT must be a person.

Comment

Now your cooking.
                    And I started a special thread with the Barry Hofstetter jig brought up to date.

the Barry Hofstetter claim - a paraclete must be a person, as "the term is used exclusively of people throughout Greek literature"

Comment

Working...
                    X