Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

First Impression of הַשַּׁ֥עַר לַיהוָ֑ה

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Impression of הַשַּׁ֥עַר לַיהוָ֑ה

I know I am talking to maybe two others of you here who are competent in Hebrew, and you aren't on CARM very often due to our forum having been leeched to death, but here goes:

How does the phrase הַשַּׁ֥עַר לַיהוָ֑ה strike you? Especially having a לַ there rather than a bare construct? How would you translate it?

I'm leaving out the context intentionally, which I can provide after a first impression is given. I only first encountered the phrase a day or two ago, and have since assessed it in its immediate context. The potential semantic nuances are interesting enough that I might take the uncommon step of researching others' thoughts on it, in published works.

Jameson, what other Hebrew forum in August 2019 is lively enough to post this question?
    I wiped my slate clean and followed only biblical data to see if Unitarianism was true. After 40 weeks, I knew it was impossible.
    After 5 years, only 3 were even capable of interacting with the English part of the exegeses, so I am mostly inactive.

Good question there, ACA.

Needless to say, the scripture in question is the only place where this appears. However, having the preposition ל as meaning "of" isn't unheard of, cf. Gen. 14:15, 18:

עַד־חוֹבָ֔ה אֲשֶׁ֥ר מִשְּׂמֹ֖אל לְדַמָּֽשֶׂק "...to Horeb, which is North of Damascus."

וְה֥וּא כֹהֵ֖ן לְאֵ֥ל עֶלְיֽוֹן "...as he was a priest of God Most High."

(Swete's LXX: ἦν δὲ ἱερεὺς τοῦ θεοῦ τοῦ ὑψίστου.)

Exod 31:7:

אֵ֣ת׀ אֹ֣הֶל מוֹעֵ֗ד וְאֶת־הָֽאָרֹן֙ לָֽעֵדֻ֔ת "..the tent of assembly and the ark of the testimony..."

(wete's LXX: τὴν σκηνὴν τοῦ μαρτυρίου, καὶ τὴν κιβωτὸν τῆς διαθήκης...)

The most common way is in the phrase מִזְמ֥וֹר לְדָוִ֑ד "a Psalm of David." Cf. Quite a few of the Psalms (3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 12, 13 etc.).

With regards to שער however, we have it used in Ezekiel 40:23 as meaning "leading to":

וְשַׁ֙עַר֙ לֶחָצֵ֣ר הַפְּנִימִ֔י "...and a gate that led to the inner courtyard..."

For the verse in question in your OP, having it meaning "The gate that leads to Yahweh" would fit the context quite well.

Comment

Thank you for taking the time to respond, S Walch. I see better now how that lamed can function.
      The change from plural gates in v.19 to singular "gate" in v.20 is interesting, though, especially in light of everything else going on in that Psalm.
      I wiped my slate clean and followed only biblical data to see if Unitarianism was true. After 40 weeks, I knew it was impossible.
      After 5 years, only 3 were even capable of interacting with the English part of the exegeses, so I am mostly inactive.

Comment

Especially what is said in v21 straight after.

(Btw I did attempt to PM you earlier; let me know if you didn't get it )

Comment

Originally posted by S Walch View Post
          (Btw I did attempt to PM you earlier; let me know if you didn't get it )
          I did not get it

Comment

Tried like 7 attempts to send one. Do you have a lot of saved messages? If you do, then I wonder whether if it's not allowed to send you any more. If not, then the PM system isn't working on CARM =/

Comment

Originally posted by S Walch View Post
              Tried like 7 attempts to send one. Do you have a lot of saved messages? If you do, then I wonder whether if it's not allowed to send you any more. If not, then the PM system isn't working on CARM =/
              CARM used to have a notification which you would see if you tried to send a message to someone with too many messages in their Inbox.
              Can you post the PM here, and if there are parts which might clash against CARM rules, take those out? I'm loathe to give out an email address in view of the disturbed pathology present.

Comment

Originally posted by ACAinstructor View Post
                CARM used to have a notification which you would see if you tried to send a message to someone with too many messages in their Inbox.
                Can you post the PM here, and if there are parts which might clash against CARM rules, take those out? I'm loathe to give out an email address in view of the disturbed pathology present.
                Well it was in answer to your question to Jameson, plus a request of yourself that I don't want to post on here.

Try PMing me (I have absolutely nothing in my Inbox, sent, etc.), and if not, I'll just have to pop on my email address temporarily on here.

Comment

It's not working too well. My Internet isn't amazing. Maybe you could write it and I'll message as soon as I see and copy it so you can edit and delete?

Comment

Good, you didn't write it. My Internet cut out right after I wrote that!

I thought of a better idea. CARM maintains an Evangelical Forum for Christians only. Could you start a thread in one of its forums, and maybe @ my screen name so it will pop up in my Notifications? That would probably be better.

Comment

Are you over at B-Greek? Can PM me from there.

(For some reason I don't have access to the other forums in question. Must be in my site settings somewhere.)

Comment

Originally posted by ACAinstructor View Post
                        Good, you didn't write it. My Internet cut out right after I wrote that!

I thought of a better idea. CARM maintains an Evangelical Forum for Christians only. Could you start a thread in one of its forums, and maybe @ my screen name so it will pop up in my Notifications? That would probably be better.
                        There you go again, using the word CHRISTIANS falsely. No...CARM does not define the word correctly either.

Christian: follower of Jesus. Does Jesus have to be GOD for this to be true? No. And why? Since...Jesus...never...said...he...was...God. According to you he did, but this cannot be true, directly and most assuredly, since "I am God" was never said. Doth the thwipture sayeth? No...

So then both y'all are wrong, and in most divisive and heinous fashion, no matter how you primp.

Shema will change the Christian World.

Turn it upside down. To where it once was, the POV of JESUS, his DISCIPLES and his SERVANTS.

Know God YHWH Elohim is One. And love Him with all. Mk 12, red letter words.

Comment

I was trying to get B-Hebrew to clear out the mess and pick up, but they don't seem to want to get rid of certain bad apples. The best thing to do at this time is to take questions to NLM on Facebook.
                          I have permission to post on the Biblical Languages forum, as per email correspondence with Diane S.

Comment

Without context, I'd read it as "the gate belonging to YHWH." That could go in several directions.
                            I have permission to post on the Biblical Languages forum, as per email correspondence with Diane S.

Comment

Originally posted by Jameson View Post
                              I was trying to get B-Hebrew to clear out the mess and pick up, but they don't seem to want to get rid of certain bad apples.
                              It's a shame that I know exactly to whom you refer.

*sighs*

No escaping the crazies on internet forums these days it seems...

Comment

Working...
                              X