The name of Messiah

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The name of Messiah

So what is it ? It is the same as that of Joshua (son of Nun), the successor of Moses :

τέξεται δὲ υἱὸν καὶ καλέσεις τὸ ὄνομα αὐτοῦ Ἰησοῦν αὐτὸς γὰρ σώσει τὸν λαὸν αὐτοῦ ἀπὸ τῶν ἁμαρτιῶν αὐτῶν.

She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins."
    Matthew 1:21

and

ἣν καὶ εἰσήγαγον διαδεξάμενοι οἱ πατέρες ἡμῶν μετὰ Ἰησοῦ ἐν τῇ κατασχέσει τῶν ἐθνῶν, ὧν ἐξῶσεν ὁ Θεὸς ἀπὸ προσώπου τῶν πατέρων ἡμῶν ἕως τῶν ἡμερῶν Δαυείδ

After receiving the tabernacle, our ancestors under Joshua brought it with them when they took the land from the nations God drove out before them. It remained in the land until the time of David,
    Acts 7:45

It's the same Greek word, but for the one the English translations render "Jesus" and for the other they render "Joshua." The latter is more accurate.

Look at Judges 2:8 --

וַיָּמָת יְהֹושֻׁעַ בִּן־נוּן עֶבֶד יְהוָה בֶּן־מֵאָה וָעֶשֶׂר שָׁנִֽים׃

καὶ ἐτελεύτησεν Ἰησοῦς υἱὸς Ναυη δοῦλος κυρίου υἱὸς ἑκατὸν δέκα ἐτῶν (LXX)

And Joshua the son of Nun, the servant of the LORD, died, being an hundred and ten years old.
    The "J" should be pronounced as a "Y," Yher-shu-wa (יְהֹושֻׁעַ)

Originally posted by John Milton View Post
    So what is it ?
    JESUS does the job nicely. We all know that "Joshua" is the same name.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Carabbio View Post

JESUS does the job nicely. We all know that "Joshua" is the same name.
      Not really, Joshua does the job nicely. Jesus sounds like the name of a pagan God to me, namely Zeus .

Comment

Here is something interesting:

The name Jesus has only existed for around 400 years. This is because before then, the letter J did not exist in the English language. In literature and scripture before the introduction of the letter J, the figure known as Jesus was referred to as Iesus. Iesus can actually be seen in the Original King James Bible. The name Iesus itself is a modernized and westernized version of Iesous, which literally translates to Hail Zeus. Before the origination of Christianity, those of the Graeco-Roman persuasion were against any and all Jewish influences. It is believed that when it came time for the rise of Christianity, the Greeks would only accept a new god if he was modeled after the heavily worshipped and already established Zeus.

Comment

Any truth to that ?

Comment

Originally posted by John Milton View Post

Not really, Joshua does the job nicely. Jesus sounds like the name of a pagan God to me, namely Zeus .
            That would be YOUR PROBLEM, not mine. Scratch your Itch in any way that makes you feel good.

Comment

I can't believe the poster believes this seriously. Jesus is simply the anglicized pronunciation of the Greek Ἰησοῦς. This is the normal Greek spelling of the Hebrew יהושע, and no one reading the Greek ever pronounced it as though it were the Hebrew pronunciation.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry Hofstetter View Post
                I can't believe the poster believes this seriously. Jesus is simply the anglicized pronunciation of the Greek Ἰησοῦς. This is the normal Greek spelling of the Hebrew יהושע, and no one reading the Greek ever pronounced it as though it were the Hebrew pronunciation.
                The Greek should be translated to ”Eesous” in English not “Jesus” which comes pretty close to Zeus

Comment

Working...
                X