Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

What IS modern-day 'evangelism?'

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What IS modern-day 'evangelism?'

Is it a convincing sermon that convinces someone to walk down an aisle or to 'pray a prayer?'
    Is it a confrontation, led by the bashing of popular sins?
    Is it coersion?
    Is it apologetics in some form?
    Is it passing out tracts that usually end up in the trash?

HOW DO YOU define it?
    God's Word (Scripture) will convince me. YOUR argument is your own.

I want to be so full of Jesus that if a mosquito bites me, he will fly away singing 'there's power in the blood. . .' (author unknown)

Originally posted by Morefish View Post
    Is it a convincing sermon that convinces someone to walk down an aisle or to 'pray a prayer?'
    Is it coersion?

HOW DO YOU define it?
    How do YOU define it?

Comment

Originally posted by davidbrainerd View Post

Is it coersion?

HOW DO YOU define it?
      How do YOU define it?
      I would GENERALLY define evangelism is the gentle nudging by the Holy Spirit leading me to share the TRUTH that Jesus Christ died to pay for our sins, rose on the third day, and was SEEN IN REALITY by over 513 people at the time. See 1 Corinthians 15:1-6. . .
      I would point out to them that FAITH in Jesus Christ is counted as righteousness to God, and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him. I follow the nudging of ME when in contact with others.

No confrontation or bashing
      No coersion
      Perhaps a LITTLE apologetics in some form.
      No tracts, million dollar bills, or other trickery.

Sometimes a small gift of a little wooden cross on a string necklace (made by a local fellow for giving away).

And the sharing of my life with them. That involves listening a lot.

And YOU? How do YOU define evangelism?

I want to be so full of Jesus that if a mosquito bites me, he will fly away singing 'there's power in the blood. . .' (author unknown)

Comment

How do YOU define it?
        I did. Now it is your turn. . .what do you expect to 'see?'

Comment

I did. Now it is your turn. . .what do you expect to 'see?'
          I don't really care about this thread.

Comment

I don't really care about this thread.
            Why not? Can't you EXPLAIN what 'evangelism' is and what you expect or hope for at the end?

Comment

Hello dear,

Different people are drawn to God by different means. Most people choose a method of witnessing that mirrors what brought them to Christ. Someone who was affected by a tract will praise that method. Some are touched by fire and brimstone preaching, others are won over by gentle Gospel Truths. The Evangelism is basically the work you do before presenting the gospel. In sum, Evangelism is when you live an authentic Christian life around others compelling them to ask about your faith. This is done by being a genuine example of a Christian by loving and serving others, allowing them to see your redeemed life for what it is. Thanks.
              http://goevangelismtract.blogspot.in...eaningful.html

Comment

Is it coersion?

HOW DO YOU define it?
                Without the use of Scriptures which are God breathed, it is doubtful anyone would come to Christ. God spoke through the prophets of Old to persuade them that a Messiah was coming. God spoke via the Holy Spirit through the disciples and Paul (even to write the NT) to persuade men that Jesus is the Son of God. And the highest attested event that says Jesus is the Messiah is the very resurrection----and that God raised Him from the dead.

The question is whether a person will believe God--- for the Spirit of God says their is no forgiveness of sins, and no salvation, without faith in Christ. The Spirit of God says also that without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness of sin------and that God has raised His Son from the dead shows that indeed Christ is Who He claimed to be---Son of God---the One promised from the beginning.

But Jesus warned this to the Jews ----- If you don't believe Moses and the prophets---a person will not be persuaded even if someone rose from the dead. If a person doesn't believe God---why would they believe the Son of God and the resurrection. On the day of Pentecost, many scoffed and others said God has done great things------which one's were added to the church?

Those that do not believe God will scoff----no amount of evidence will persuade them----looking for signs, while denying the obvious signs in front of there very eyes (such as raising the dead) is clear evidence a person is simply refusing to believe God. What did a number of the Jewish leaders say who did not believe God? They said Christ did His work by Beelzebub. Attributing what God did through Christ---to Satan.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Stewart View Post

Without the use of Scriptures which are God breathed, it is doubtful anyone would come to Christ. God spoke through the prophets of Old to persuade them that a Messiah was coming. God spoke via the Holy Spirit through the disciples and Paul (even to write the NT) to persuade men that Jesus is the Son of God. And the highest attested event that says Jesus is the Messiah is the very resurrection----and that God raised Him from the dead.

The question is whether a person will believe God--- for the Spirit of God says their is no forgiveness of sins, and no salvation, without faith in Christ. The Spirit of God says also that without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness of sin------and that God has raised His Son from the dead shows that indeed Christ is Who He claimed to be---Son of God---the One promised from the beginning.

[It is NOT up to you nor I to 'convince' anyone of anything. GOD does it. We are simply to be faithful to the word and preach CHRIST CRUCIFIED AND RESURRECTED. According to the WORD OF GOD:

Rom 10:17
                  17 So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
                  NKJV

But Jesus warned this to the Jews ----- If you don't believe Moses and the prophets---a person will not be persuaded even if someone rose from the dead. If a person doesn't believe God---why would they believe the Son of God and the resurrection. On the day of Pentecost, many scoffed and others said God has done great things------which one's were added to the church?

Those whose hearts were 'pierce,' and NOBODY SAID the scoffers believed one word spoken.

Those that do not believe God will scoff----no amount of evidence will persuade them----looking for signs, while denying the obvious signs in front of there very eyes (such as raising the dead) is clear evidence a person is simply refusing to believe God. What did a number of the Jewish leaders say who did not believe God? They said Christ did His work by Beelzebub. Attributing what God did through Christ---to Satan.
                  Once again, magic tricks, mumbo jumbo, gibberish or other 'modern-day pentecostal junk' won't lead a person to the Lord. ONLY THE WORD OF GOD can make THAT REAL CHANGE in a man's heart.

Comment

Once again, magic tricks, mumbo jumbo, gibberish or other 'modern-day pentecostal junk' won't lead a person to the Lord. ONLY THE WORD OF GOD can make THAT REAL CHANGE in a man's heart.
                    Further, I am not Pentecostal. And further yet, Paul used the Scriptures to persuade people that Jesus is the Christ. Hence, Paul used what God said through the prophets and Moses to persuade. Now why do you suppose Paul would use the Scriptures when he went into the Synagogues to persuade?

MEN OF ISRAEL AND YOU WHO FEAR GOD-------listen. Of course not all Israel believed God, neither do all men fear God. Yet God has revealed Himself to every man so that they are without excuse.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Stewart View Post

Once again, magic tricks, mumbo jumbo, gibberish or other 'modern-day pentecostal junk' won't lead a person to the Lord. ONLY THE WORD OF GOD can make THAT REAL CHANGE in a man's heart

Further, I am not Pentecostal.

I don't believe I ever said you were. If I ever did, would you PLEASE CITE FOR US WHERE OR WHEN?

And further yet, Paul used the Scriptures to persuade people that Jesus is the Christ. Hence, Paul used what God said through the prophets and Moses to persuade. Now why do you suppose Paul would use the Scriptures when he went into the Synagogues to persuade?

[Acts 17:1-4
                      2 Then Paul, as his custom was, went in to them, and for three Sabbaths reasoned with them from the Scriptures, 3 explaining and demonstrating that the Christ had to suffer and rise again from the dead, and saying, "This Jesus whom I preach to you is the Christ." 4 And some of them were persuaded; and a great multitude of the devout Greeks, and not a few of the leading women, joined Paul and Silas.
                      NKJV]

MEN OF ISRAEL AND YOU WHO FEAR GOD-------listen. Of course not all Israel believed God, neither do all men fear God. Yet God has revealed Himself to every man so that they are without excuse.
                      I would strongly suspect that NOT ALL those folks who attend YOUR CONGREGATION and call themselves 'Christians' fear God either.

I agree, NOBODY is has any valid excuse not to FEAR GOD.

Comment

I would strongly suspect that NOT ALL those folks who attend YOUR CONGREGATION and call themselves 'Christians' fear God either.

I agree, NOBODY is has any valid excuse not to FEAR GOD.

Yes, I would agree with you that there are people in all congregations that do not really believe God, or what He has said through the prophets nor in Christ. The evidence that a person does not believe God is that many reject what Christ says, and what the Scriptures say. In some churches there are those that claim faith in Christ yet reject the virgin birth, or the fact that Adam and Eve were real people and that God made a promise to them. Then there are often some that do believe in a literal resurrection of Christ. And then there are people that say that keeping the Law earns points with God for salvation. The latter was much the problem of the Jewish leaders at the time of Christ. They didn't recognize that it was by faith that God reckoned Abraham as righteous----and that happened at least 400 years before the Law was given through Moses. Therefore "faith" in God preceded the Law.

Regarding your mentioning Pentecostal---you added Pentecostal to the magic and other stuff in your response to my post. I took it---and error is mine---that you thought I was Pentecostal.

Comment

Working...
                        X