Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

I want to compile a list of

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to compile a list of

...translation mistakes in the King James Bible.

I will start with:

1. ) Genesis 1:1 - " In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. " ( KJV )

In Hebrew the phrase translated into English meaning, "the heavens" is הַשָּׁמַיִם.

If one was to write "the heaven" in Hebrew it would be הַשָּׁמַ.

The suffix יִם changes the noun to masculine plural. ( The King James translators missed this. )

2.) ...
    "The exact sciences also start from the assumption that in the end it will always be possible to understand nature, even in every new field of experience, but that we make no a priori assumptions about the meaning of the word "understand"."

Heisenberg

" It is the glory of God to conceal a matter, and it is the glory of a king to search out a matter. " ( Proverbs 25:2 )

Originally posted by inertia View Post

I will start with:
    Will your "List" be any better or more complete than the dozens that are already out there??

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Carabbio View Post

Will your "List" be any better or more complete than the dozens that are already out there??
      I don’t expect a graduate level paper, but it would be great to get a validated list for future reference.
      "The exact sciences also start from the assumption that in the end it will always be possible to understand nature, even in every new field of experience, but that we make no a priori assumptions about the meaning of the word "understand"."

Heisenberg

" It is the glory of God to conceal a matter, and it is the glory of a king to search out a matter. " ( Proverbs 25:2 )

Comment

"Thou shalt not KILL" in Ex. 20:13(Should be "murder")
        "Easter" in Acts 12:4 (Should be "passover")

"the love of money is THE root of ALL evil" in 1 Tim. ^:10 (Should be "the love of money is A root of ALL SORTS of evil")

Comment

Originally posted by roby3 View Post
          "Thou shalt not KILL" in Ex. 20:13(Should be "murder")
          "Easter" in Acts 12:4 (Should be "passover")

"the love of money is THE root of ALL evil" in 1 Tim. ^:10 (Should be "the love of money is A root of ALL SORTS of evil")

Great response!

So -

2.) Exodus 20:13 (KJV) is: " Thou shalt not kill. " Comparing: (YLT) " 'Thou dost not murder. " (NET) " You shall not murder. "

רָצַח râtsach, raw-tsakh'; a primitive root; properly, to dash in pieces, i.e. kill (a human being), especially to murder:—put to death, kill, (man-) slay(-er), murder(-er).

3.) Acts 12:4 (KJV) is: " And when he had apprehended him, he put him in prison, and delivered him to four quaternions of soldiers to keep him; intending after Easter to bring him forth to the people. " Comparing: (YLT) " whom also having seized, he did put in prison, having delivered him to four quaternions of soldiers to guard him, intending after the passover to bring him forth to the people. " (NET) " When he had seized him, he put him in prison, handing him over to four squads of soldiers to guard him. Herod planned to bring him out for public trial after the Passover. "

πάσχα páscha, pas'-khah; of Chaldee origin (compare H6453); the Passover (the meal, the day, the festival or the special sacrifices connected with it):—Easter, Passover.

4.) 1 Timothy 6:10 (KJV) is: " For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows."

Comparing: (YLT) " or a root of all the evils is the love of money, which certain longing for did go astray from the faith, and themselves did pierce through with many sorrows;"

(NET) " For the love of money is the root of all evils. Some people in reaching for it have strayed from the faith and stabbed themselves with many pains. " - That's ineresting, hmm.

(NIV) " For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs. "

ῥίζα rhíza, hrid'-zah; apparently a primary word; a "root" (literally or figuratively):—root.

Thanks for helping out with the list, roby3.

Heisenberg

Comment

4.) 1 Timothy 6:10 (KJV) is: " For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows."

Comparing: (YLT) " or a root of all the evils is the love of money, which certain longing for did go astray from the faith, and themselves did pierce through with many sorrows;"

(NET) " For the love of money is the root of all evils. Some people in reaching for it have strayed from the faith and stabbed themselves with many pains. " - That's ineresting, hmm.

(NIV) " For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs. "

ῥίζα rhíza, hrid'-zah; apparently a primary word; a "root" (literally or figuratively):—root..
            First off, I am NOT a KJVO ... far from it. But in all fairness I have to go with the "ALL EVIL" translations here since as far as I can tell that is exactly what the underlying Greek says.

With that said, anyone with common sense knows that money is most definitely not the root of ALL evil. Hyperbol, pure, plain, and simple is the solution here. Regarding the false,, man made doctrine known as King James ONLYISM ....much evil has been perpetrated because of that false doctrine. Lies! Endless and senseless ad hominem! Obvious hatred, Judgmentalism. Lost fellowship ... .and on and on and on.

No hard feelings with or for Roby ... I much appreciate his anti KJVO work. But I have to respectfully disagree with him on this one. Even a broken 12 hour clock is right twice every 24 hours. However good or bad one may think the KJV is, the fact remains the KJV contains several obvious and provable errors ... errors that are corrected in and by the great modern English translations! As long as there remains one error in the KJV that has been corrected in later translatins King James ONLYISM cannot be justified.
            Joh 8:36 So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed. [NIV]

Comment

Originally posted by Trucker View Post

First off, I am NOT a KJVO ... far from it. But in all fairness I have to go with the "ALL EVIL" translations here since as far as I can tell that is exactly what the underlying Greek says.

With that said, anyone with common sense knows that money is most definitely not the root of ALL evil. Hyperbol, pure, plain, and simple is the solution here. Regarding the false,, man made doctrine known as King James ONLYISM ....much evil has been perpetrated because of that false doctrine. Lies! Endless and senseless ad hominem! Obvious hatred, Judgmentalism. Lost fellowship ... .and on and on and on.

No hard feelings with or for Roby ... I much appreciate his anti KJVO work. But I have to respectfully disagree with him on this one. Even a broken 12 hour clock is right twice every 24 hours. However good or bad one may think the KJV is, the fact remains the KJV contains several obvious and provable errors ... errors that are corrected in and by the great modern English translations! As long as there remains one error in the KJV that has been corrected in later translatins King James ONLYISM cannot be justified.
              Okay.

Do you have any "obvious and provable" issues with the King James Translation that you would like to see on the list of mistranslations?

-- The root of ALL evil is a mistranslation. I was surprised that the NET went with the King James translation in this as it reflects a degree of laziness on the translators part.

-- The NIV reflects the meaning correctly.

Heisenberg

Comment

I will start with:

1. ) Genesis 1:1 - " In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. " ( KJV )

In Hebrew the phrase translated into English meaning, "the heavens" is הַשָּׁמַיִם.

The suffix יִם changes the noun to masculine plural. ( The King James translators missed this. )

2.) ...
                What is the Hebrew word the NASB and other MVs translated as "heaven" in Gen 1:8?
                In the beinning, some modern versions started off with the wrong foot and went their own way.
                Last edited by J316; 02-08-19, 02:44 PM.
                The Scripture CANNOT be broken. Today, we have in our hands the unbroken inerrant pure Word of God. God hates liars!!

If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken; - Joh 10:35

Comment

Originally posted by

With that said, anyone with common sense knows that money is most definitely not the root of ALL evil. Hyperbole, pure, plain, and simple is the solution here. Regarding the false,, man made doctrine known as King James ONLYISM ....much evil has been perpetrated because of that false doctrine. Lies! Endless and senseless ad hominem! Obvious hatred, Judgmentalism. Lost fellowship ... .and on and on and on.

-- The root of ALL evil is a mistranslation. I was surprised that the NET went with the King James translation in this as it reflects a degree of laziness on the translators part.

-- The NIV reflects the meaning correctly.
                  With all due respect, Strong's disagrees with you. Thayer's disagrees with you. The Complete Word Study Dictionary disagrees with you. It would appear that Dr Wallace disagrees with you. Obviously many translators do agree with you. Since i'm essentially monolingual I can't seriously disagree with you. But I would like an explanation of why you are convinced that absolute inclusiveness [all] is really intended here by Paul in a really literal way. Also, if I may ask, would it be too much for you to list your qualifications in Koine Greek? No disrespect intended.

Regarding your charge of laziness, logically it seems to me those ultimately responsible for the wording in the NET Bible would have actually devoted extra care and caution due
                  to the great number of modern translators who would obviously disagree with the NET's wording.

BTW, dunno if you've seen this or not. https://hermeneutics.stackexchange.c...-kinds-of-evil

I'd quote the article but there's several embedded links and I don't have the time to edit them all out. Wallace has some comments along with others. I found it interesting. Seems the main reason the literal wording is avoided is simply that it makes the passage into a "not so quotable" passage. Interesting reading. Seems to me the hyperbole or metaphorical approach solves the whole problem. But what do I know!!

Welcome to the KJVO discussion forum!

Comment

I will start with:

2.) ...
                    I doubt it. I suspect the KJV translators had a better understanding of the materials they were translating as well as access to more of it. The problem with manuscripts is that minor differences will be found in different manuscripts and the point you focus on just might be one of those debatable transcriptions. The 4 dozen or so translators reviewed each group's wording among themselves, which meant every word was examined by multiple experts before the translation was released to the public.
                    I am not a NPB-Onlyist (No Perfect Bible Onlyist), nor a NA/UBS-Onlyist. Marke

If this book be not infallible, where shall we find infallibility? We have given up the Pope, for he has blundered often and terribly; but we shall not set up instead of him a horde of little popelings fresh from college. C. H. Spurgeon

For that Revised Version I have but little care as a general rule, holding it to be by no means an improvement upon our common Authorized Version. C.H. Spurgeon

Comment

For stylistic reasons I may prefer "heavens", but I don't see how "heaven" could be called a mistake. They mean the same thing in Genesis 1 in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by J316 View Post

What is the Hebrew word the NASB and other MVs translated as "heaven" in Gen 1:8?
                        In the beinning, some modern versions started off with the wrong foot and went their own way.
                        Still, we can see from Strong"s that שָׁמַיִם shâmayim, shaw-mah'-yim; dual of an unused singular שָׁמֶה shâmeh; from an unused root meaning to be lofty...

Heisenberg

Comment

Originally posted by Trucker View Post

With all due respect, Strong's disagrees with you. Thayer's disagrees with you. The Complete Word Study Dictionary disagrees with you. It would appear that Dr Wallace disagrees with you. Obviously many translators do agree with you. Since i'm essentially monolingual I can't seriously disagree with you. But I would like an explanation of why you are convinced that absolute inclusiveness [all] is really intended here by Paul in a really literal way. Also, if I may ask, would it be too much for you to list your qualifications in Koine Greek? No disrespect intended.

Regarding your charge of laziness, logically it seems to me those ultimately responsible for the wording in the NET Bible would have actually devoted extra care and caution due
                          to the great number of modern translators who would obviously disagree with the NET's wording.

BTW, dunno if you've seen this or not. https://hermeneutics.stackexchange.c...-kinds-of-evil

I'd quote the article but there's several embedded links and I don't have the time to edit them all out. Wallace has some comments along with others. I found it interesting. Seems the main reason the literal wording is avoided is simply that it makes the passage into a "not so quotable" passage. Interesting reading. Seems to me the hyperbole or metaphorical approach solves the whole problem. But what do I know!!

Welcome to the KJVO discussion forum!
                          Thanks for the reference ( good job ). I stand corrected. No laziness. I don't know Koine Greek. I've studied some Hebrew concerning Old Testament translation. The good news here is that there are many, many modern resources. King James translators did the best they could with what they had available. The KJV follows the 1390 Wycliffe translation in some areas.

" Despite Wallace's conclusion based on the analysis of this particular text, it is also notable that the NET translators point out that "there is no parallel for taking a construction like this to mean 'all kinds of' or 'every kind of.' The normal sense is 'all evils.'" "

From lexicon results ( Strong's G4491 ): ( not THE root )
                          1. a root
                          2. that which like a root springs from a root, a sprout, shoot
                          3. metaph. offspring, progeny
                          From Thayer's ( same link as above ): ( again, not THE root )

Last edited by inertia; 02-09-19, 02:26 PM.

Heisenberg

Comment

Thanks for the reference ( good job ). I stand corrected. No laziness. I don't know Koine Greek.
                            So I'm stuck on the hyperbole solution until someone can show me a good reason to abandon it.

Comment

Originally posted by marke View Post

I doubt it. I suspect the KJV translators had a better understanding of the materials they were translating as well as access to more of it. The problem with manuscripts is that minor differences will be found in different manuscripts and the point you focus on just might be one of those debatable transcriptions. The 4 dozen or so translators reviewed each group's wording among themselves, which meant every word was examined by multiple experts before the translation was released to the public.
                              The KJV translators followed the Wycliffe translation (1390 ) in specific passages and when they inserted a word to make the English better, it was italicized. Their effort was monumental. Still, an understanding of the "waw + noun -- perfect verb" construction and its use in Hebrew was not fully understood until ~ 60 years ago. ( page 40, Reading Genesis One, comparing Biblical Hebrew with English translation, and Zioiny Zevit, The Anterior Construction In Classical Hebrew, page 7)

Heisenberg

Comment

Working...
                              X