A Brother in Christ is Commanded to Love a Fellow Brother in Christ

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Brother in Christ is Commanded to Love a Fellow Brother in Christ

In the verse below, the Lord Jesus told us "You shall not murder", which is the sixth of the ten commandments.

Matthew 19:18 English Standard Version
    He said to him, “Which ones?” And Jesus said, “You shall not murder, You shall not commit adultery, You shall not steal, You shall not bear false witness,

And below the Lord told us an application of the sixth commandment as it pertains to brothers in Christ.

Matthew 5:21-22 King James Version (KJV)
    21 Ye have heard that it was said of them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment:
    22 But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

And this teaching is consistent with other teachings in the new testament about brothers in Christ loving each other, and the consequences for failing to do so.

One such teaching follows.
    Matthew 25:31-46 (KJV)
    31 When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:
    32 And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:
    33 And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.
    34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
    35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
    36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.
    37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
    38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
    39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
    40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.
    41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:
    42 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:
    43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.
    44 Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?
    45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.
    46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

And so the Lord taught, and I paraphrase, that whatever one did or did not do to a brother in Christ, he did or did not do to the Lord Jesus Christ. And those who did not love a brother in Christ as commanded, will go away to everlasting punishment. And those who did love a brother in Christ, the righteous, will inherit eternal life.

True.

Also true : What good is it if you only love* those who love* you, do not pagans/heathen/ gentiles / the lost unforgiven/ do the same ?

------------------

*love: joyously DO God's Word - obediently joyfully fully DO what is right - what God Says to DO. (or Speak). God's Word, God's Action.

i.e. NOT Doing what God Says is disobedience, harmful, wrong, and hate - even if it "feel's good and right and true" .

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro77 View Post
      True.

Also true : What good is it if you only love* those who love* you, do not pagans/heathen/ gentiles / the lost unforgiven/ do the same ?

------------------

*love: joyously DO God's Word - obediently joyfully fully DO what is right - what God Says to DO. (or Speak). God's Word, God's Action.

i.e. NOT Doing what God Says is disobedience, harmful, wrong, and hate - even if it "feel's good and right and true" .
      Off topic and irrelevant. Your attempt to derail my thread is not welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro77 View Post
        True.

------------------

To love your enemy is to tell them about Jesus, give them the Word of Truth to live by, clothe them with the Word, release those who are in prison in their minds being held captive to the sin in their life, to set them free, to bring them into the household of God for shelter from the darkness, if they are hungry feed them the Bread of Life(Word of Life/Jesus) and give them Living water to drink to cleanse them from all unrighteousness.
        To just keep giving them hand outs, does not develop godly character, it only helps them to stay afloat without looking to God as their provider.
        You can give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. But teach him how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
        The world keeps just paying the debts for the poor, lost and broken which rarely raises one up, and puts themselves as gods to keep the freebies coming.
        Jesus fed no man until after they first came to him, obeyed him to sit, was willing to stay till the end and fill up on the spiritual meal he served them, even hungry for more, were willing to give all they had for their worthy meal, which Jesus lifted up to the Father in a Thanksgiving offering showing appreciation for their Bread of Life and the service they received.......then and only then did God multiply their little, to meet their needs with plenty left over.

Even the father of the prodigal son, never went to the son to see if he needed anything once he left THE FATHER'S house. He only hoped that he would see how good he had it before he left, and return in repentance to his Father's house.

Alert, no violation.
        Last edited by Mod20; 02-17-19, 09:57 PM.
        The purpose of my posts are not to cause bicker or division, but to show truth from the scripture for edifying of the soul. It does not matter what we think, it is what God's Word says that matters.

Comment

Originally posted by afaithfulone4u View Post

To love your enemy is to tell them about Jesus, give them the Word of Truth to live by, clothe them with the Word, release those who are in prison in their minds being held captive to the sin in their life, to set them free, to bring them into the household of God for shelter from the darkness, if they are hungry feed them the Bread of Life(Word of Life/Jesus) and give them Living water to drink to cleanse them from all unrighteousness.
          To just keep giving them hand outs, does not develop godly character, it only helps them to stay afloat without looking to God as their provider.
          You can give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. But teach him how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
          The world keeps just paying the debts for the poor, lost and broken which rarely raises one up, and puts themselves as gods to keep the freebies coming.
          Jesus fed no man until after they first came to him, obeyed him to sit, was willing to stay till the end and fill up on the spiritual meal he served them, even hungry for more, were willing to give all they had for their worthy meal, which Jesus lifted up to the Father in a Thanksgiving offering showing appreciation for their Bread of Life and the service they received.......then and only then did God multiply their little, to meet their needs with plenty left over.

Even the father of the prodigal son, never went to the son to see if he needed anything once he left THE FATHER'S house. He only hoped that he would see how good he had it before he left, and return in repentance to his Father's house.

Alert, no violation.
          And so if there is a brother in Christ in need of shelter, a fellow brother in Christ who has the means, for example, a spare bedroom, should offer it to the needy brother. Right?

Comment

Working...
          X