Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Jesus Christ is the Lord God Almighty, the First and the Last - Revelation 1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by john wilcox View Post
    There is but ONE Lord of heaven and earth, NOT two.
    Is the Father the SAME person as the Son? No! Then there ARE two Lord's of heaven and earth:

1) God the Father

2) Jesus from Nazareth, a man

Comment

Originally posted by forever4truth View Post

Is the Father the SAME person as the Son? No! Then there ARE two Lord's of heaven and earth:

1) God the Father

When person stands for the substance yes.When person stands for the subsistence.Paternal is not filial and filial is not paternal.Hence the hypostasis of the Father is not the hypostasis of the Son,as the Father is denominated by fatherhood and the Son is denominated by sonship. And the identity of both is at once,the First and the Last.

God the Father

The consubstantial Logos/Son made flesh/Jesus of Nazareth a man.One in being three in persons.

Comment

1) God the Father

Since Jesus is called "Lord of Lord" then he is the Lord of the other Lord in heaven you refer to. Scripture doesn't say "Jesus is Lord of Lords, except for _______".

Comment

Which is why we should not understand the angels as worshiping the Son as God in Heb. 1:6. Indeed, the whole idea that God the Father would directly command His angels to worship the Son in Heb. 1:6 is nonsensical. Why would the angels need to be commanded to worship God? Do the angels not know their creator?

Unfortunately biased translators have rendered the Greek proskynéô (which Strong's Greek defines as: I go down on my knees to, do obeisance to, worship) in Heb. 1:6 as "worship," when the context calls for "obeisance."

The reason "obeisance," not "worship," should be used in Heb. 1:6, is because the angels are being commanded by God to acknowledge the Son as their superior as a result of him being exalted /elevated ABOVE them by virtue of his resurrection-exaltation to God's right hand (a position/status far above them), as both the immediate and remote contexts make plainly evident.

3c "
          After making purification for sins, He sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high. 4 So He became higher in rank than the angels" (Heb. 1:3c-4a, HCSB)

20 "He demonstrated this power in the Messiah by raising Him from the dead and seating Him at His right hand in the heavens21 far above every ruler and authority, power and dominion, and every title given, not only in this age but also in the one to come. 22 And He put everything under His feet" (Eph. 1:20-22a, HCSB)

"
          Now Christ has gone to heaven where he holds the honored position—the one next to God the Father on the throne. Angels, rulers, and powers have been placed under his authority" (1 Pet. 3:22, GW)

Please stop with the asininity. Again, it's nonsensical to argue, such as you are doing, that the angels worshiped the Son at his birth when that was the time he was MADE LOWER [inferior] to them.

Indeed, there is no evidence whatsoever in the gospels of the angels worshiping Jesus at his birth; but we do read of them announcing his birth. Apparently you can't seem to distinguish the difference.

Once again, not only is it nonsensical to argue the angels worshiped the Son at his birth because that was at the point he was made lower [inferior] to them, the context rules this out because Heb. 1:6 is PART of the writer to Hebrews argument as to HOW the Son BECAME so much superior to the angels. Or is it YOUR nonsensical argument that the Son BECAME Superior to the angels at his birth?

IOW, we should understand the timing of the angels offering obeisance to the Son AFTER he was EXALTED/ELEVATED above them, not before (i.e., at this birth).

The angels were commanded to worship The Son when God brought Him INTO the world, i.e. at His BIRTH.
          And angels worship God ONLY.AT His birth the angels all sang and said glory to God in the HIGHEST.

Comment

Then you cannot TRUTHFULLY say he was born as a MAN, for a MAN only has one nature: human.
            Strawman. I said Jesus Christ has TWO natures, NOT that a MAN has two natures.
            Last edited by john wilcox; 11-13-17, 04:15 PM.

Comment

1) God the Father

The Father is the SAME BEING as The Son, hence ONLY ONE Lord of heaven and earth.
              BTW NO MAN is or EVER can be The Lord of heaven and earth. ONLY God is.

Comment

Then you cannot TRUTHFULLY say he was born as a MAN, for a MAN only has one nature: human.
                On the contrary Jesus was a real man of flesh and blood with a rational human soul ,inseparably and unitedly One with the Logos The Word was God,and the Word was made flesh and we beheld His glory. God was in Christ clearly by way of subsistence..Hence the man Christ subsistence is the hypostasis of God.To say the man Christ subsist in two natures,Is the same as, the Word was made flesh,God manifested in the flesh,took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men.,and that holy thing born of the shall be called the Son of God.the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his hypostasis. Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God.For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily

Now what about the scriptures or the words of Christ that remotely suggest He is just a man?

Comment

Originally posted by StephenC View Post

God did it. It says so right in the passage. Didn't you read it.

Acts 2:36 “Therefore let all Israel be assured of this: God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Messiah.”
                  Taking the Holy writ in whole,nothing would lead me to conclude," made this Jesus" to imply corporal conditions.How exactly do you expect your humanistic connotations could adequately express verities of the Divine.

God did do it,and as the Father acts so also does His consubstantial Word/Son.

5.Wherefore when he cometh into the world, he saith, Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, but a body hast thou prepared me:

Comment

Originally posted by Aeg4371 View Post

When person stands for the substance yes.When person stands for the subsistence.Paternal is not filial and filial is not paternal.Hence the hypostasis of the Father is not the hypostasis of the Son,as the Father is denominated by fatherhood and the Son is denominated by sonship. Hence the identity of both is at once,the First and the Last.

God the Father

The consubstantial Logos/Son made flesh/Jesus of Nazareth a man.One in being yet two persons.
                    Last edited by Aeg4371; 11-13-17, 06:37 PM. Reason: correction

Comment

Originally posted by Neal View Post
                      Stephen,

When you say things like Jesus has a God, you're talking right past me because I agree that he did. How can he be God and yet have a God? Simply because when God was incarnate he was a REAL man and as a man he thought and perceived as a real man and therefore had a God. So, you can give me a hundred scriptures that show that Jesus is a man, prayed and had a God and I will say Amen. In other words you can't rationally argue against Oneness teaching and the deity of Christ by giving me scriptures that show he was a man and prayed, etc.

You have no point here.

Yet scriptures also call Jesus God. You can't harmonize this with your concept so you have to argue against all the scriptures that tell us he is the first and last. I noticed you never address how he can be "the first". Instead you give me scriptures that tell us he was a genuine man and I say Amen.

Very easily, keep reading down to verse 16... Revelation 22:16 "I, Jesus, have sent my angel to give you this testimony for the churches. I am the Root and the Offspring of David, and the bright Morning Star.”

nothead replied
                      11-10-17, 12:01 PM

Cannot be a real man and God too.

Cannot be a fake man and God too.

Cannot be any kind of man and God too.

Sorry for all the CANNOTS. But unless you know Jewish View you cannot have a clue.
                      Your humanistic intelligibility contradicts the words of scriptures themselves when it says," God was in Christ reconciling the world unto Himself.Great is the mystery of godliness.God was manifested in the flesh,justified in the spirit. I could go on,but you would find some ridiculous notion that contradicts basic biblical common sense.

Just because many tend to dumb down the scriptures in order to deny Christ divine self sovereignty.,Doesn't mean you should insult our intelligence with assertions contrary and completely inadequate to express verities of the divine.

The Jewish view God is One. It does not take denying Christ for the Jewish view of God is One.Second as the angelic doctor states We can know what God is by knowing what He is not.We know God by nature is not a creature and yet we know He came in the likeness of a creature.Being that God is not a man by nature,yet on account of the Logos made flesh ,and God in Christ,the Greeks say hypostatic union.

Denying scriptures because it doesn't fit your humanistic perception of what the Jews might think,is not a real argument.Therefore your natural reasoning that God cannot be a real man and God too has no bases in verities of the divine.
                      Last edited by Aeg4371; 11-13-17, 07:07 PM. Reason: correction

Comment

When person stands for the substance yes.When person stands for the subsistence.Paternal is not filial and filial is not paternal.Hence the hypostasis of the Father is not the hypostasis of the Son,as the Father is denominated by fatherhood and the Son is denominated by sonship. Hence the identity of both is at once,the First and the Last.

God the Father

The consubstantial Logos/Son made flesh/Jesus of Nazareth a man.One in being yet two persons.
                        Are you saying Jesus is two persons in the one being known as Jesus?

Comment

Originally posted by Neal View Post
                          Jesus is identified as the Alpha and Omega, the Lord God, the Almighty in Revelation 1:8.

Revelation 1:8 - I am the Alpha and the Omega,” says the Lord God, “who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty.”

Some would skeptically say that this verse isn't referring to Jesus.

But, the context of chapter 1 and the book of Revelation, makes it clear that this is Jesus Christ.

Why? First, notice that the verse calls him "Lord"

In Revelation 17:4 we see Jesus is called Lord of Lords

They will make war on the Lamb, and the Lamb will conquer them, for he is Lord of lords and King of kings, and those with him are called and chosen and faithful.”

IF Revelation 1:8 is referring to someone other than Jesus, then Revelation 17:4 means that Jesus is the Lord of the Lord in Revelation 1:8, because Jesus is declared as Lord of Lords.

Yet, 1 Corinthians 8:6 says Jesus is the one Lord

"yet for us there is but one God, the Father, from whom all things came and for whom we live; and there is but one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things came and through whom we live."

Jesus is said to be the one Lord in 1 Corinthians 8:6 and the Lord of Lords in Revelation 17:4. John calls him the Lord Jesus in Revelation 22:21.

Therefore Jesus is the subject of Revelation 1:8.

Furthermore, Revelation 1:8, calls him the Alpha and Omega, yet in Revelation 1:17, Jesus calls himself the "first and the last"

In Revelation 22:12-13 "Jesus says again, “Behold, I am coming soon, bringing my recompense with me, to repay each one for what he has done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end.”

Furthermore, the Jahveh/LORD of the OT is called the first and the last in Isaiah 48:12-13

“Listen to me, O Jacob, and Israel, whom I called!
                          I am he; I am the first, and I am the last.
                          My hand laid the foundation of the earth,
                          and my right hand spread out the heavens;
                          when I call to them,
                          they stand forth together."

There can only be one "the First" and "the Alpha". Jesus is clearly identified as the First and the Last.

It is simply not reasonable or rational or scriptural or logical to teach Jesus is only a man but the Bible calls him the First and the Last.

There is but one Lord.

Some say, but Jesus has a Father and the book of Revelation talks about Jesus and the Father. Yes, indeed, but this isn't contradicting the fact that we've already established that Jesus is the Lord God Almighty.

Jesus is the manifestation of God in the flesh. As to his deity He is the Lord God Almighty, but as to his flesh, he is a genuine man. In Christ, all things will be made new and mankind reconciled with God.

It’s a fact in scripture!!!

It was said “ And many will be deceived”.

That statement has now been made a very true quote!!!

I know people hate to hear that, is absolute!!!

harry

Comment

Weak relies from the Unitarian/Arian folks on this. Scripture is very clear as to the revelation of who Jesus Christ is, the First and Last, Alpha and Omega, the Lord God Almighty. Logically, rationally, and scripturally there can only be one "first" and one "Lord of Lords".

HEBREWS 1:6 "“Let all God’s angels worship him.”

PROSKUNEO (WORSHIP) - This is the SAME Greek word used by Jesus in rebuking the devil and telling him "it is written, you shall proskuneo (worship) the LORD and him only"

From Luke 24:42 it is said that the disciple proskuneo (worshipped) Jesus. Being devout and monotheistic Jews who only worshipped God, this is not something that they did ignorantly. Never in scripture does Jesus rebuke anyone for bowing down and worshipping him, yet the disciples and angels always told people not to worship them. Trying to twist the meaning of proskuneo and other words is not only dishonest but it lacks seriousness and is a shame to our intelligence.

Talking points that show distinction between Jesus and God and that Jesus is a man only talk past me because I agree that there was a distinction and that Jesus was a man. However, scripture is clear that Jesus is both man and God.

Comment

God the Father

IronMan replied
                              11-13-17, 08:28 PM
                              Are you saying Jesus is two persons in the one being known as Jesus?
                              The personality of fatherhood is not the personality of sonship. Two personalities supposes two persons.One of the Father another of the Son.No I am not saying Jesus is two persons in one being known has Jesus.The distinct realities are predicated to God as He told Moses on the mount,not to Jesus nor the Father.

This word person can stand for the substance of being and this word person can stand for the reality or personality of being.

Comment

The personality of fatherhood is not the personality of sonship. Two personalities supposes two persons.One of the Father another of the Son.No I am not saying Jesus is two persons in one being known has Jesus.The distinct realities are predicated to God as He told Moses on the mount,not to Jesus nor the Father.

This word person can stand for the substance of being and this word person can stand for the reality or personality of being.
                                A toad is a reality, does that qualify as a person? You're going to have to be more specific. Also, didn't your English teacher (if you had one), teach you NOT to use the term in its own definition? Not good!

Comment

Working...
                                X