Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

How many Persons is God's mind?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many Persons is God's mind?

Originally posted by Kampioen View Post

God in any case has one mind but with three distinctions comparable with how a man has one mind but with interactive conscience, conscious and subconscious but theologically for God's case are called persons.

The person who died on the cross is the same person as the one who created the universe in the context that it is the same transcendent mind. But the Father did this by His distinction the Word.

First you say a Person in God's case is a distinction within his one mind.

But then you say his one mind is a Person.

So which is it...

A) God's one mind is a Person.

B) God's one mind is three Persons.

If you say B, it seems like your second sentence should have been...

The person who died on the cross is one of the persons who created the universe in the context that it is one of the distinctions of the transcendent mind...

P.S.

In contrast to the Trinitarian view that there are three who transcend all creations, I believe there is only one who transcends all creations.

Can you post an overview of what you believe? Here is mine...

For this creation, YHWH God (the only one who transcends all creations) determined to create a universe with a kingdom of redeemed humans (living souls) for his glory where he would reign as a living soul himself. The Scriptures describe how God would accomplish his plan. In an instant, transcendent God (called God the Father) created the supernatural and space-time of this universe and also became immanent as a spirit (called the Spirit of God) and in the form of a living soul (called the Word of God) with a glorious body. God the Father then created all things within the universe by the power of the Spirit of God commanded by the Word of God. But whereas God created a human spirit and soul for each of us, God himself as the Word became the human spirit and soul of Jesus. At his conception, Jesus' glorious body was changed to a mortal body to be made like us so he could make reconciliation for our sins. At his resurrection, Jesus' mortal body was changed back to a glorious body and he will also give each of his elect a glorious body when he returns to reign in his kingdom forever.
    God our father is the holy spirit called the LORD, and Jesus is the LORD in the flesh.

The LORD is God Dt 6:4 The LORD is our father Is 64:8 The LORD is holy Is 6:3 God is spirit Jn 4:24 God manifest in the flesh 1 Ti 3:16 Jesus is Lord 1 Co 12:3

Originally posted by Presentist View Post

So which is it...

The person who died on the cross is one of the persons who created the universe in the context that it is one of the distinctions of the transcendent mind...

P.S.

In contrast to the Trinitarian view that there are three who transcend all creations, I believe there is only one who transcends all creations.

Can you post an overview of what you believe? Here is mine...

For this creation, YHWH God (the only one who transcends all creations) determined to create a universe with a kingdom of redeemed humans (living souls) for his glory where he would reign as a living soul himself. The Scriptures describe how God would accomplish his plan. In an instant, transcendent God (called God the Father) created the supernatural and space-time of this universe and also became immanent as a spirit (called the Spirit of God) and in the form of a living soul (called the Word of God) with a glorious body. God the Father then created all things within the universe by the power of the Spirit of God commanded by the Word of God. But whereas God created a human spirit and soul for each of us, God himself as the Word became the human spirit and soul of Jesus. At his conception, Jesus' glorious body was changed to a mortal body to be made like us so he could make reconciliation for our sins. At his resurrection, Jesus' mortal body was changed back to a glorious body and he will also give each of his elect a glorious body when he returns to reign in his kingdom forever.
    Both questions are ridiculous. God is a BEING, NOT a mind.

Comment

So which is it...

The Trinitarian persons (theological term) and God as a person (conventional term) are two unrelated contexts.

In as far as a mind being representative of a person I would say "A" is true.

In as far as God's mind having three persons I would say these are theologically "seeming" persons and comparative to a man's mind having interacting conscience, conscious and subconscious. But it is only an analogy. Analogies aren't perfect.

P.S.

God and any one man including Jesus are two persons in the conventional sense, not four.

The Trinitarian persons (theological) and God as a person (conventional) are two unrelated contexts.

The conventional person Jesus who died on the cross is, in as far as the Word is concerned, one of the theological persons/distinctions who created the universe, ie one of the distinctions of the one "transcendent mind" ie God.

Comment

Originally posted by johnny guitar View Post

Both questions are ridiculous. God is a BEING, NOT a mind.

What is your definition for "a being"?

And based on your definition for "a being"...

Is God the Father a being?
        Is the Son of God a being?
        Is the Spirit of God a being?

Those are simple Yes / No questions.

P.S.

I define "a being" as "a sentient living thing" so I would answer Yes to all three questions. But since they are all the SELFSAME sentient living thing, they are all the SELFSAME being.
        God our father is the holy spirit called the LORD, and Jesus is the LORD in the flesh.

The LORD is God Dt 6:4 The LORD is our father Is 64:8 The LORD is holy Is 6:3 God is spirit Jn 4:24 God manifest in the flesh 1 Ti 3:16 Jesus is Lord 1 Co 12:3

Comment

Originally posted by Kampioen View Post

The conventional person Jesus who died on the cross is, in as far as the Word is concerned, one of the theological persons/distinctions who created the universe, ie one of the distinctions of the one "transcendent mind" ie God.

So whereas Trinitarians believe Jesus is ONE OF the "theological persons/distinctions" who created the universe...

I believe Jesus is the ONE WHO created the universe.

Correct me if I am mistaken, but I expect you believe the second theological person/distinction is NOT the one who came up with the idea to create the universe. Right?

Whereas I believe Jesus IS the one who came up with the idea to create the universe.

That is a BIG difference between our views.

P.S.

Can you provide an overview of what you believe? Here is mine...

Comment

And based on your definition for "a being"...

Is God the Father a being?
            Is the Son of God a being?
            Is the Spirit of God a being?

Those are simple Yes / No questions.

P.S.

I define "a being" as "a sentient living thing" so I would answer Yes to all three questions. But since they are all the SELFSAME sentient living thing, they are all the SELFSAME being.
            NO! Each Person is THE ONE BEING.

Comment

NO! Each Person is THE ONE BEING.

You didn't answer the question...

P.S.

I define "a being" as "a sentient living thing".

Comment

You didn't answer the question...

P.S.

A being is NOT a thing, since a thing is NOT sentient.
                A Being is A Being.
                End of story.

Comment

A Being is A Being.
                  End of story.

Wow, you really do NOT understand how definitions work.

You are NOT supposed to define a term by using the term itself.

In other words, the definition of "a being" is NOT "a being".

Ask any school teacher.

For your information...

In the statement "a sentient living thing"...

The most general term is "thing" (the last word), which is defined as any entity, object, or creature.

By saying "living thing" it reduces the selections down to the things that are "living" (which includes plants etc).

And by saying "sentient living thing" it reduces the selection down to the things that are living and are sentient (which excludes plants etc).

So...

Although the dictionaries often define "a being" as "a living thing", I add the word "sentient" to exclude plants etc.

Whereas...

You define "a being" as "______________".

Can you fill in the blank with ANYTHING other than "a being"?

Comment

A Being is A Being.
                    End of story.

Right, a thing may or may not be sentient. A "thing" is defined as ANY entity, object, or creature.

That is why I include the word sentient in my definition of "a being".

I hope you agree that "a sentient living thing" is LIVING and SENTIENT !!!

Are you saying you really cannot provide a definition for "a being" other than "a being"?

Comment

Right, a thing may or may not be sentient. A "thing" is defined as ANY entity, object, or creature.

That is why I include the word sentient in my definition of "a being".

I hope you agree that "a sentient living thing" is LIVING and SENTIENT !!!

Are you saying you really cannot provide a definition for "a being" other than "a being"?
                      A sentient Being is NOT a thing or object. A thing is NOT living, UNLESS you are referring to an insect, animal, etc.

Comment

Wow, you really do NOT understand how definitions work.

You are NOT supposed to define a term by using the term itself.

In other words, the definition of "a being" is NOT "a being".

Ask any school teacher.

For your information...

In the statement "a sentient living thing"...

The most general term is "thing" (the last word), which is defined as any entity, object, or creature.

By saying "living thing" it reduces the selections down to the things that are "living" (which includes plants etc).

And by saying "sentient living thing" it reduces the selection down to the things that are living and are sentient (which excludes plants etc).

So...

Although the dictionaries often define "a being" as "a living thing", I add the word "sentient" to exclude plants etc.

Whereas...

You define "a being" as "______________".

Can you fill in the blank with ANYTHING other than "a being"?

A sentient living thing refers to animals, birds, insects etc. NOT to men.

Comment

A sentient living thing refers to animals, birds, insects etc. NOT to men.

Let me get this straight...

YOU are NOT a sentient living thing.

Is that what you are saying?

Comment

Let me get this straight...

YOU are NOT a sentient living thing.

Is that what you are saying?
                            Yes! I am a MAN, NOT a thing. We do not normally use thing in referring to Persons. That would be insulting.

Comment

So whereas Trinitarians believe Jesus is ONE OF the "theological persons/distinctions" who created the universe...

I believe Jesus is the ONE WHO created the universe.

Correct me if I am mistaken, but I expect you believe the second theological person/distinction is NOT the one who came up with the idea to create the universe. Right?
                              God (Father, Word and Holy Spirit) came up with the idea to create the universe comparative to how a man (conscience, conscious and subconscious) comes up with things.

Whereas I believe Jesus IS the one who came up with the idea to create the universe.
                              My understanding of your view is that Jesus is not transcendent in immanence, as is the kenosis view, where He created the universe before/outside of this non-transcendence. If not, how does your view differ?

Did the Father not come up with the idea to create the universe?

That is a BIG difference between our views.
                              Yes, our views are different.

[Notice I asked two questions.]

Comment

Working...
                              X