Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

What's going on

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's going on

What's with all the chinese spamming?
    Orthodoxy is unconsciousness.' Winston, 1984, George Orwell,

Originally posted by TrueBlue? View Post
    Maybe its part of the tariffs? lol.

I hope they are able to find a solution.

Comment

They need to disable new registrations until they can get the situation under control. Maybe put in a probation period for all new users to limit their posts in quantity and to specific locations. There are many things that can be done to mitigate spammers.

Comment

Originally posted by CTR-Lloyd View Post
        Maybe it’s part of the tariffs? lol.

I hope they are able to find a solution.
        It's funny because that crossed my mind for a split second. Like a shot across the bow or something to say, look what we can do on a mere forum, imagine what we can do on something important.
        Orthodoxy is unconsciousness.' Winston, 1984, George Orwell,

Comment

CARM is being plagued by Korean and sports spam, in order to shut us down. Matt is aware of the problem. Please do not alert on the spam anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Mod10 View Post
            CARM is being plagued by Korean and sports spam, in order to shut us down. Matt is aware of the problem. Please do not alert on the spam anymore.
            While I am sure Matt, you, and the other mods and admins are aware of the problem I for one would like the matter to be taken MORE seriously. Fifteen of the board in the General Theology section are corrupted with this spam. What remains is over-populated by the resident CARM trolls. Each board has 20 pages of posts and on more than one occasion I have clicked through all 20 pages to find only spam and nothing of CARM-relevant discussion. Many posters here paid memberships they aren't able to use to the fullest. The very purpose of the forum - evangelism - is curtailed. I thoroughly enjoy CARM so I resist the urge to go to other Christian forums but if this problem isn't addressed decisively the trolls will win; there simply won't sufficient ops to sustain fresh discussion.

So..... in light of this dilemma I'd like to suggest those of us with the time and other wherewithal do our part to push the spam down the boards by posting new ops each day. If just a dozen of us did that we'd have plenty to discuss and the spam would be pushed off the front pages within a week.

And Matt: tell the State Department. Notify your senators and representatives. Make some noise. Then given your IT folks an incentive for solving the problem. Maybe start with praise-yeshua's two very good ideas.
            All verses cited or quoted or in the NAS unless otherwise noted.

if anyone competes as an athlete, he does not win the prize unless he competes according to the rules. (2 Tim. 2:5)

Comment

Originally posted by Josheb View Post
              While I am sure Matt, you, and the other mods and admins are aware of the problem I for one would like the matter to be taken MORE seriously. Fifteen of the board in the General Theology section are corrupted with this spam. What remains is over-populated by the resident CARM trolls. Each board has 20 pages of posts and on more than one occasion I have clicked through all 20 pages to find only spam and nothing of CARM-relevant discussion. Many posters here paid memberships they aren't able to use to the fullest. The very purpose of the forum - evangelism - is curtailed. I thoroughly enjoy CARM so I resist the urge to go to other Christian forums but if this problem isn't addressed decisively the trolls will win; there simply won't sufficient ops to sustain fresh discussion.

So..... in light of this dilemma I'd like to suggest those of us with the time and other wherewithal do our part to push the spam down the boards by posting new ops each day. If just a dozen of us did that we'd have plenty to discuss and the spam would be pushed off the front pages within a week.

And Matt: tell the State Department. Notify your senators and representatives. Make some noise. Then given your IT folks an incentive for solving the problem. Maybe start with praise-yeshua's two very good ideas.
              Good idea! I'll make it a point to post a couple new OP's each day.
              "For the eyes of the LORD move to and fro throughout the earth that He may strongly support those whose heart is completely His...." 2 Chronicles 16:9 NASB

Comment

I have tried bumping topics to the front page. But the spam is like a hydra. Bump a subject to the front page, and 2 more spams will appear. Many of the boards have been contaminated. I do not know what is being done, but Matt is aware of it. I called him, leavi g him a message, and emailed him, with the numbers given to us on this board. I guess we will just have to be patient.
                "I am tired of being treated like a mushroom--they keep me in the dark and feed me manure!" (reasons why a Mormon was leaving the LDS church)
                "What people don't realize is how much religion costs. They think faith is a big electric blanket, when of course, it is the cross."--Flannery O'Connor
                Its easy to fool a man, but nearly impossible to convince him he's been fooled. --Mark Twain."
                "I am a Missouri Synod Lutheran--NOT REFORMED/CALVINIST. PLEASE learn the difference."
                "The truth may hurt for a little while, but a lie hurts forever."--anonymous
                "If Jesus isn't THE WAY, then there is nothing else."--Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Mod10 View Post
                  Bump...
                  "The exact sciences also start from the assumption that in the end it will always be possible to understand nature, even in every new field of experience, but that we make no a priori assumptions about the meaning of the word "understand"."

Heisenberg

" It is the glory of God to conceal a matter, and it is the glory of a king to search out a matter. " ( Proverbs 25:2 )

Comment

Instead of suspending new registrations, perhaps a tool other web pages use to have the poster prove he/she is human. You know, enter the four characters present. Should be able to suspend or delete any of these spammers already on the board. Just a thought.
                    I am just a miserable sinner saved by grace, called according to His purposes, made righteous and holy by faith in Jesus and who can now boldly enter the throne room of heaven itself.

Comment

My apologies folks, I neglected to mention something very important and powerful. In addition to all of the recommendations I and others made we should all be praying. I'm sure God has spirits who know how to address the problems of both computer coding and the coders. Let's diligently and faithfully ask God to loose them.
                      All verses cited or quoted or in the NAS unless otherwise noted.

if anyone competes as an athlete, he does not win the prize unless he competes according to the rules. (2 Tim. 2:5)

Comment

Is there a way to not allow Korean letters..characters...to be posted?

Comment

Originally posted by TrueBlue? View Post
                          According to Norton:

" The two main reasons why cybercriminals create botnets are for financial gain and for recognition. " More? see: Norton Security

Financial gain cannot be the reason for spamming CARM.
                          "The exact sciences also start from the assumption that in the end it will always be possible to understand nature, even in every new field of experience, but that we make no a priori assumptions about the meaning of the word "understand"."

Heisenberg

" It is the glory of God to conceal a matter, and it is the glory of a king to search out a matter. " ( Proverbs 25:2 )

Comment

Originally posted by organgrinder View Post
                            Instead of suspending new registrations, perhaps a tool other web pages use to have the poster prove he/she is human. You know, enter the four characters present. Should be able to suspend or delete any of these spammers already on the board. Just a thought.
                            Well, couldn't they post first as a person and then afterwards,, botspam?
                            "I am tired of being treated like a mushroom--they keep me in the dark and feed me manure!" (reasons why a Mormon was leaving the LDS church)
                            "What people don't realize is how much religion costs. They think faith is a big electric blanket, when of course, it is the cross."--Flannery O'Connor
                            Its easy to fool a man, but nearly impossible to convince him he's been fooled. --Mark Twain."
                            "I am a Missouri Synod Lutheran--NOT REFORMED/CALVINIST. PLEASE learn the difference."

Comment

Originally posted by Josheb View Post

What makes you think that Matt isn't talking it seriously? It may be fiendishly difficult to get rid of the spam. I don't know, not being terribly computer literate, myself.

I am usually on the Mormon board. I tried to bump all of the pertinent threads to the front page, but more NEW spam showed up and shoved them to back pages. I have seen some of the threads get deleted, but more spam shows up. But that is a good idea about posting new threads, but don't know how long that would work, or how long all of us could keep it up.

Comment

Working...
                              X