What's going on

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bonnie View Post
    What makes you think that Matt isn't talking it seriously?
    What makes you think I think Matt isn't taking it seriously? I did, after all, explicitly state "MORE seriously," necessarily implying I did/do understand the matter is being taken seriously.

Please be specifc.
    All verses cited or quoted or in the NAS unless otherwise noted.

“if anyone competes as an athlete, he does not win the prize unless he competes according to the rules.” (2 Tim. 2:5)

Comment

Originally posted by Josheb View Post
      What makes you think I think Matt isn't taking it seriously? I did, after all, explicitly state "MORE seriously," necessarily implying I did/do understand the matter is being taken seriously.

Please be specifc.
      Specific about what?

But saying "more seriously" sorta implies that one thinks Matt isn't taking it THAT seriously. But I don't know his mind.

Too bad we couldn't all call in on his radio show and complain!
      "I am tired of being treated like a mushroom--they keep me in the dark and feed me manure!" (reasons why a Mormon was leaving the LDS church)
      "What people don't realize is how much religion costs. They think faith is a big electric blanket, when of course, it is the cross."--Flannery O'Connor
      “It’s easy to fool a man, but nearly impossible to convince him he's been fooled. --Mark Twain."
      "I am a Missouri Synod Lutheran--NOT REFORMED/CALVINIST. PLEASE learn the difference."
      "If the truth hurts--then it is working."--anonymous

Comment

Well, couldn't they post first as a person and then afterwards,, botspam?
        Apparently bot - threads in specific forums were targeted over others. Unless they write in English, we will never know their reason for this denial-of-service attack using spam.

Under "General Secular and Apologetic Topics", Evolution and Intelligent Design is hit every one or two minutes apart, as well as Atheism/ Agnosticism / Sec Humanism, and the topic of abortion.

The General Church Topics was hit hard with some exceptions.

General Cults / Groups Topics - only the Jehovah's Witness and Oneness were spared

Other topics only have a periodic attack in English.
        Last edited by inertia; 09-22-18, 08:59 PM.
        "The exact sciences also start from the assumption that in the end it will always be possible to understand nature, even in every new field of experience, but that we make no a priori assumptions about the meaning of the word "understand"."

Heisenberg

" It is the glory of God to conceal a matter, and it is the glory of a king to search out a matter. " ( Proverbs 25:2 )

Comment

Specific about what?
          Specific about why it is you think I think Matt's not taking the problem seriously.
          But saying "more seriously" sorta....
          "Sorta"?
          But I don't know his mind.
          You don't know my mind, either.
          Originally posted by Bonnie
          What makes you think Matt isn't....
          Completely off-topic.

“if anyone competes as an athlete, he does not win the prize unless he competes according to the rules.” (2 Tim. 2:5)

Comment

I will tune in daily to see if the spammers are gone. But until its fixed i wont bother doing stuff just because its hard to keep track of threads.

Im no computer expert, im from another era despite being in my mid 20s, im a caveman. I dont even own a smartphone, nor know how to use one, BUT I think what you guys need to fix the problem is simply disable all registrations for like a day, and then those guys will probably give up once they see they cant register /spam anymore.

Comment

Well, couldn't they post first as a person and then afterwards,, botspam?
              Don't know. Beyond my paygrade. Maybe require everyone to enter a code before posting. Should be a way to fix this.
              I am just a miserable sinner saved by grace, called according to His purposes, made righteous and holy by faith in Jesus and who can now boldly enter the throne room of heaven itself.

Comment

Originally posted by inertia View Post

Apparently bot - threads in specific forums were targeted over others. Unless they write in English, we will never know their reason for this denial-of-service attack using spam.

Under "General Secular and Apologetic Topics", Evolution and Intelligent Design is hit every one or two minutes apart, as well as Atheism/ Agnosticism / Sec Humanism, and the topic of abortion.

The General Church Topics was hit hard with some exceptions.

General Cults / Groups Topics - only the Jehovah's Witness and Oneness were spared

Other topics only have a periodic attack in English.
                bumping against the tide
                "The exact sciences also start from the assumption that in the end it will always be possible to understand nature, even in every new field of experience, but that we make no a priori assumptions about the meaning of the word "understand"."

Heisenberg

" It is the glory of God to conceal a matter, and it is the glory of a king to search out a matter. " ( Proverbs 25:2 )

Comment

Originally posted by Hakawaka View Post
                  I will tune in daily to see if the spammers are gone. But until its fixed i wont bother doing stuff just because its hard to keep track of threads.

Im no computer expert, im from another era despite being in my mid 20s, im a caveman. I dont even own a smartphone, nor know how to use one, BUT I think what you guys need to fix the problem is simply disable all registrations for like a day, and then those guys will probably give up once they see they cant register /spam anymore.
                  Its sad. Really sad. There are simply things that can be done and the government doesn't care about forums being targeted from individuals outside the US.

Manual registration approval is the best option. That would be easier than cleaning up after the new registers mess. Could also set default permissions to one forum for "new members" and then approve them for secondary access after they prove themselves by some means. Most every forum software in existence can do these simple things. I know for a fact that VBulletin can do most of these "out of the box". You just have to have the proper structure.

My thoughts are that there isn't a real "admin" since Diane went to meet our Lord. The way things appear to be structured, they have made this a administrative nightmare that takes too much time for someone to manage on their own with everything else they've got going on.......and they refuse to give anyone else the access needed to make changes.

Again. That is just my opinion.

Comment

Specific about why it is you think I think Matt's not taking the problem seriously.

"Sorta"?

You don't know my mind, either.

Completely off-topic.
                    Yes, sorta.

And I never said I knew your mind.

And no, my question is not "off topic". It is a legitimate question. However, the problem is severe and I would imagine it would take some pretty hefty measures to get rid of the spam. But we shall see.
                    "I am tired of being treated like a mushroom--they keep me in the dark and feed me manure!" (reasons why a Mormon was leaving the LDS church)
                    "What people don't realize is how much religion costs. They think faith is a big electric blanket, when of course, it is the cross."--Flannery O'Connor
                    “It’s easy to fool a man, but nearly impossible to convince him he's been fooled. --Mark Twain."
                    "I am a Missouri Synod Lutheran--NOT REFORMED/CALVINIST. PLEASE learn the difference."

Comment

Yes, sorta.

And I never said I knew your mind.
                      That is implicit in the question, "What makes you think....?" If I didn't think what every it is you think I thunk then the question itself is meaningless.
                      And no, my question is not "off topic". It is a legitimate question.
                      The evidence says otherwise.

The topic is the problem of spam, not what Matt may or may not be doing about it and not what I think about what Matt may or may not be doing about it. Stick to the op-topic and don't worry about what whether I think Matt is taking it seriously, more seriously, or not.
                      However, the problem is severe and I would imagine it would take some pretty hefty measures to get rid of the spam.
                      I completely agree and since the risk is the forum itself it is very important because if they can shut down CARM then they can shut down any Christian forum (or any forum for that matter), and we simply shouldn't stand for that. That's one of the reasons I suggested informing his legislators. I'm fairly confident one of them can make a "suggestion" to the military cyber unit and have this problem resolved in minutes. Radical. Perhaps unlikely. Worth a try. Might even serve the national interests.
                      But we shall see.
                      Yes, and we would see one way or another no matter what I off-topically think about the degree to which Matt is taking the matter seriously (or not).

Comment

Originally posted by Mod10 View Post
                        CARM is being plagued by Korean and sports spam, in order to shut us down. Matt is aware of the problem. Please do not alert on the spam anymore.
                        Why would they want to shut this forum down? What do they have to gain ?

Comment

That is implicit in the question, "What makes you think....?" If I didn't think what every it is you think I thunk then the question itself is meaningless.

The evidence says otherwise.

The topic is the problem of spam, not what Matt may or may not be doing about it and not what I think about what Matt may or may not be doing about it. Stick to the op-topic and don't worry about what whether I think Matt is taking it seriously, more seriously, or not.

I completely agree and since the risk is the forum itself it is very important because if they can shut down CARM then they can shut down any Christian forum (or any forum for that matter), and we simply shouldn't stand for that. That's one of the reasons I suggested informing his legislators. I'm fairly confident one of them can make a "suggestion" to the military cyber unit and have this problem resolved in minutes. Radical. Perhaps unlikely. Worth a try. Might even serve the national interests.

Yes, and we would see one way or another no matter what I off-topically think about the degree to which Matt is taking the matter seriously (or not).
                          The evidence does not say "otherwise." I did see a thread by a moderator somewhere that says Matt is aware of the problem, but it must be one heck of a problem and difficult to fix. Spammers are getting more sophisticated.

But you are right about the risk. I wonder if this has happened in other Christian forums? I am not a member of any others, so I don't know. But if anyone else has been and it has happened there, maybe they could post on here what happened to their forums. Somebody out there sure hates this site.

Comment

The evidence does not say "otherwise." I did see a thread by a moderator somewhere that says Matt is aware of the problem, but it must be one heck of a problem and difficult to fix. Spammers are getting more sophisticated.

But you are right about the risk. I wonder if this has happened in other Christian forums? I am not a member of any others, so I don't know. But if anyone else has been and it has happened there, maybe they could post on here what happened to their forums. Somebody out there sure hates this site.
                            EDIT

For attacking the mods and the rules, you earned an infraction. That is basically automatic.
                            You know nothing about what is going on, and we keep it that way for a reason.
                            If you want to make a complaint about a mod, then post a PM to CARM4Him@Yahoo.com

This is not the first time you have done this, so maybe these infractions can help you to remember.the rules better
                            Last edited by Mod8; 09-24-18, 11:13 PM. Reason: attacking the mods and the rules

Comment

Originally posted by DANNO View Post

deleted .
                              Danno, We do the best we can with the spam, spam is not a moderation issue.. we remove it when we see it thats all we can do...
                              Last edited by Mod8; 09-24-18, 11:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by inertia View Post

bumping against the tide
                                Again - bumping against the denial-of-service spam tide.

Heisenberg

Comment

Working...
                                X