Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

Edited to add more information for posters:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

question about asterisks/automatic blocking of problematic language

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question about asterisks/automatic blocking of problematic language

I have written a couple of posts recently that included the word sup ported. As "supported," it gets asterisked out. For the life of me I can't figure out why that would be automatically elided. Can anybody help me with this? Is it my chemo-brain? Have I lost all sense of vocabulary that this means something I'm not aware of? Too innocent for my own good, perhaps? It just struck me oddly, is all.
    "I have the Book, and if Jesus Christ himself came down and told me that there was something incorrect in this Book, I would turn my back on him and hold to the book" (televangelist while hugging a copy of the bible to his chest)

some web site links are blocked out that way because of theological disagreement with statement of faith here. You may otherwise stumbled on a glitch.
    It does not help much to dwell on those things you did or did not do in the past. At the time, you did the very best you could, given your knowledge, and experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Marsh View Post
      some web site links are blocked out that way because of theological disagreement with statement of faith here. You may otherwise stumbled on a glitch.
      I'm going for 'glitch.'

(grin)

I'm hoping that somebody technical can either fix it or explain it.
      "I have the Book, and if Jesus Christ himself came down and told me that there was something incorrect in this Book, I would turn my back on him and hold to the book" (televangelist while hugging a copy of the bible to his chest)

Comment

If our forums are spammed with a certain website or word, such as the word you listed, we put the word in block to stop the spamming. The word is blocked for that reason, was being spammed on the forums. We also may block the words typed as you did above to get around the block, if the spammers begin to spell it differently to spam. It is about stopping spam and abuse of our forums, requiring moderators time to delete many posts that are spam.
        * "But the goal of our instruction is love from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith," (1 Tim. 1:5).
        * "Conduct yourselves with wisdom toward outsiders, making the most of the opportunity. 6 Let your speech always be with grace, seasoned, as it were, with salt, so that you may know how you should respond to each person," (Col. 4:5-6). NASB

Comment

Originally posted by CARM Admin View Post
          If our forums are spammed with a certain website or word, such as the word you listed, we put the word in block to stop the spamming. The word is blocked for that reason, was being spammed on the forums. We also may block the words typed as you did above to get around the block, if the spammers begin to spell it differently to spam. It is about stopping spam and abuse of our forums, requiring moderators time to delete many posts that are spam.
          Thank you. I sincerely hope that spammers do not 'catch on' to those who separate that word and use that method, because, frankly, there aren't that many synonyms for it. It is sometimes frustrating to want to use a word in the correct way only to find it blocked because others have robbed us of that option. Thanks for the explanation.

Comment

Blocks are removed after a while if spammers stop use of the words.
            * "But the goal of our instruction is love from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith," (1 Tim. 1:5).
            * "Conduct yourselves with wisdom toward outsiders, making the most of the opportunity. 6 Let your speech always be with grace, seasoned, as it were, with salt, so that you may know how you should respond to each person," (Col. 4:5-6). NASB

Comment

Originally posted by CARM Admin View Post
              Blocks are removed after a while if spammers stop use of the words.
              Was there a block on one letter of the alphabet --p? Every word in one recent post had an asterisk instead of that one letter.

Comment

Originally posted by logos1560 View Post

Was there a block on one letter of the alphabet --p? Every word in one recent post had an asterisk instead of that one letter.
                Yes was an error, now fixed.

Comment

OK....I just wrote a post in which the phrase '****** quest' was used, in an allusion to Alice in Wonderland. "******" (rab bit) was asterisked out. I'm really curious about that one. What in the world has CARM got against little fluffy bunnies?

Comment

Blocked for a few days, the word r a b b i t.... t r a i l was being spammed, will remove it after they stop spamming.

Comment

Working...
                    X