Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

Edited to add more information for posters:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Has God ever audibly spoken to you?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Also.

Remember the sick

Comment

• Yep. Directly while wide awake and conscious.

I was sitting in a conservative charismatic evangelical Episcopal congregation (yes, such things do exist) one morning when the minister had an "altar call." As you might already know, altar calls are unusual in the Episcopal Church, so I was sorta taken by surprise. The minister simply asked how many had had a difficult week and felt like they were in Egypt. I raised my hand and he invited us to stand up and asked those around us to pray for us. Then he invited those who didn't know Jesus as Lord and Savior to surrender and I thought, "Hey! I've been manipulated!" but I'd been attending that fellowship for a long time, going out Friday and Saturday nights getting high and doing a poor job of staying out of trouble before showing up in church Sunday mornings. I'd done a little jail time and was trying to get my act together. I started a home improvement business, went to college studying business, joined a gym, and went to church. Figured that's how it was done but it'd been two years and not much had changed so I figured I'd give this Jesus thing a serious try since the minister was asking .

So I did what I was supposed to do. I started confessing. I told those standing around me how I'd been drinking and drugging, thieving and sexing, lying and cheating and fighting, etc... in detail. I tried to tell them everything I could think of; I wanted to clear my conscience. I'd been going to this church a long time with all these people thinking I was a good Christian when it wasn't true so I really was trying not to leave anything out. During all this I could hear two voices in my head. One was screaming, "Sit down! Sit down you fool! This isn't going to make any difference! You're embarrassing yourself!" on and on and on, but the other verse was quiet and gentle and simply said, "No, you don't have to sit down; you can stand up and keep right on doing what you're doing." It never commanded anything.

When I got done letting all those folks around me know about the guy they'd been sitting next to all those Sundays I prayed, "God, I don't want to be passing out. I don't want to be flailing on the floor doing the alligator in the aisle, foaming at the mouth and all that muck. If you're gonna do something do it without all that histrionics. I want to know I'm saved and today I'm gonna be different and I want to know it without smacking my head on the seats or making a scene." Then something remarkable happened. One of the men laying hands upon me and praying while all this was going on said, "Lord, Let this man know he doesn't have to pass out. He doesn't have to flail around on the floor or do the alligator in the aisle, foaming at the mouth and all that muck. Heavenly Father let him know those histrionics aren't necessary, let him know that today he has been saved from his sin and your wrath and today is the first day of a new life, a life in Christ as your adopted son. Things are gonna be different today and every day from now on. Let him know he can know this without smacking his head on the chairs r making a scene."

I couldn't believe this guy was saying what was thinking using the very words I was thinking. I couldn't believe it but there it was. I don't know how that happens except by God.

The still small voice was liberating. I took to be permissive, not confining or coercive and that seemed to fill the need of the moment in my soul. Hearing someone else speak what I was thinking was just bizarre. It's stuck with me all this time. I left church that morning convinced I was "new" and different. The next Friday night I was passing the joint around telling folks I'd found Jesus so change wasn't apparent overnight but within a few weeks I was clean and sober, celibate, honest, clear thinking, kind-hearted, and... happy. I'd been in rehab for years. A few minutes with Jesus was all it really took.

Haven't looked back in 31 years.

I've also had two visions but I can't say God was speaking audibly during those visions. One of them was completely silent. One was a trip to the lake of fire and the other a visit to the abyss. I don't believe either place is an actuality but I was there. Through prayer and contemplation I learned those visits were intended to give me compassion for the lost because the end for the sinner is quite grievous. I stood on the shores as people writhed in pain and anguish gasping at charred and burning pieces of flesh falling off their bodies to be replaced by new flesh that would again burn up and fall off. I saw the never ending crowd that stretched on and on in every direction I looked. The only light in the chasm was the light of molten liquid and dancing flames and that of the two angels who walked behind me. Their light illuminated the path of utter darkness until I reached the shadows caused by fire. The screams are endless but not loud; the people are too exhausted from screaming to scream with any energy but neither can they stop.

I rarely speak of this. I usually cry when I recall it. I'm not crying now but it's taken me a few minutes to type that last paragraph. As far as I'm concerned if you've had a vision you know it's not a dream.

It's enough to motivate a person so I've often wondered why God doesn't show the unbeliever what's in store. But then I remember the effect of miracles on the wandering Jews of the Old Testament and the Sadducees and Pharisees of the New. Dramatic events can affect a person profoundly but rarely does such change endure among those whose thinking is futile, whose hearts are darkened, among those who have been given over to their lusts, those who worship the created instead of the Creator.

The better motivation is love. It was while I was still a sinner that God showed his love for me by crushing his son on my behalf. No greater love is there than the surrender of his life for yours and mine but that love doesn't stop at Calvary. I know and am known wherever I go and am loved and accepted exactly as I am now matter where I am (and I don't mean geography).

And no one can take that away from me.

Nothing can separate me from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus. Because I am loved I can now love others. I used to think I knew what love was but then I was loved. His love is so powerful it is intolerable when fully revealed; no human can long stand in it unshielded. We weep. We say, "Please depart from me for I am sinful," but God never leaves. He simply dials down the glory and radiance to levels His children can withstand on this side of the grave. Such is His love for us.

I hope you know this love .
      All verses cited or quoted or in the NAS unless otherwise noted.

“if anyone competes as an athlete, he does not win the prize unless he competes according to the rules.” (2 Tim. 2:5)

Comment

• I have never heard an audible voice.

Once when I was about 21, I was crying and praying, face down on my bed. I was thoroughly disgusted with myself, and wanted so badly to change my behavior and didn't know why I could not stop. I felt a presence in the room, and was so scared I could not open my eyes, I kept them closed with my hands over them, face down. Terribly frightened. I was afraid to move. Finally, after some time, the presence or sensation I had left, and I got up and looked around.

I don't know if it was an angel or a spirit being or what. I was not a Christian at the time, but thought I was. I was in the grips of a false religion.

Years later, at about age 41, (I just realized it was about 20 years later) I was busy cleaning house on a Saturday. We had just moved into the house we are in now, and I was so thrilled and thanking God, saying to myself, this is a really good house, and all good things are from God. Thank you God! I was happy and thankful and giving God the glory for everything good. It was then that I had a vision that I know was from God. I had been born again at age 39, so it was about 3 years after I was saved/born again. I never believed people who said they heard from God or said they had visions. I thought they were just imagining things or either lying.

The vision I had was very simple. I saw the foot of the cross sticking into the rocky soil around it, and some rocks were piled up slightly around the foot of the cross. Then great drops of blood fell down from the cross, and splashed on the rocks. The rocks became many and filled the earth, and the blood covered all the rocks.

That was it. Technicolor, like a head movie.

To me, it was a confirmation that the blood of Jesus is what saves us, is what saved me. It was confirmation that I was indeed, saved, if I had any doubts they were gone immediately. It is a beautiful memory for me.
        Cynthia

Comment

• Originally posted by Josheb View Post
          Yep. Directly while wide awake and conscious.

I was sitting in a conservative charismatic evangelical Episcopal congregation (yes, such things do exist) one morning when the minister had an "altar call." As you might already know, altar calls are unusual in the Episcopal Church, so I was sorta taken by surprise. The minister simply asked how many had had a difficult week and felt like they were in Egypt. I raised my hand and he invited us to stand up and asked those around us to pray for us. Then he invited those who didn't know Jesus as Lord and Savior to surrender and I thought, "Hey! I've been manipulated!" but I'd been attending that fellowship for a long time, going out Friday and Saturday nights getting high and doing a poor job of staying out of trouble before showing up in church Sunday mornings. I'd done a little jail time and was trying to get my act together. I started a home improvement business, went to college studying business, joined a gym, and went to church. Figured that's how it was done but it'd been two years and not much had changed so I figured I'd give this Jesus thing a serious try since the minister was asking .

So I did what I was supposed to do. I started confessing. I told those standing around me how I'd been drinking and drugging, thieving and sexing, lying and cheating and fighting, etc... in detail. I tried to tell them everything I could think of; I wanted to clear my conscience. I'd been going to this church a long time with all these people thinking I was a good Christian when it wasn't true so I really was trying not to leave anything out. During all this I could hear two voices in my head. One was screaming, "Sit down! Sit down you fool! This isn't going to make any difference! You're embarrassing yourself!" on and on and on, but the other verse was quiet and gentle and simply said, "No, you don't have to sit down; you can stand up and keep right on doing what you're doing." It never commanded anything.

When I got done letting all those folks around me know about the guy they'd been sitting next to all those Sundays I prayed, "God, I don't want to be passing out. I don't want to be flailing on the floor doing the alligator in the aisle, foaming at the mouth and all that muck. If you're gonna do something do it without all that histrionics. I want to know I'm saved and today I'm gonna be different and I want to know it without smacking my head on the seats or making a scene." Then something remarkable happened. One of the men laying hands upon me and praying while all this was going on said, "Lord, Let this man know he doesn't have to pass out. He doesn't have to flail around on the floor or do the alligator in the aisle, foaming at the mouth and all that muck. Heavenly Father let him know those histrionics aren't necessary, let him know that today he has been saved from his sin and your wrath and today is the first day of a new life, a life in Christ as your adopted son. Things are gonna be different today and every day from now on. Let him know he can know this without smacking his head on the chairs r making a scene."

I couldn't believe this guy was saying what was thinking using the very words I was thinking. I couldn't believe it but there it was. I don't know how that happens except by God.

The still small voice was liberating. I took to be permissive, not confining or coercive and that seemed to fill the need of the moment in my soul. Hearing someone else speak what I was thinking was just bizarre. It's stuck with me all this time. I left church that morning convinced I was "new" and different. The next Friday night I was passing the joint around telling folks I'd found Jesus so change wasn't apparent overnight but within a few weeks I was clean and sober, celibate, honest, clear thinking, kind-hearted, and... happy. I'd been in rehab for years. A few minutes with Jesus was all it really took.

Haven't looked back in 31 years.

I've also had two visions but I can't say God was speaking audibly during those visions. One of them was completely silent. One was a trip to the lake of fire and the other a visit to the abyss. I don't believe either place is an actuality but I was there. Through prayer and contemplation I learned those visits were intended to give me compassion for the lost because the end for the sinner is quite grievous. I stood on the shores as people writhed in pain and anguish gasping at charred and burning pieces of flesh falling off their bodies to be replaced by new flesh that would again burn up and fall off. I saw the never ending crowd that stretched on and on in every direction I looked. The only light in the chasm was the light of molten liquid and dancing flames and that of the two angels who walked behind me. Their light illuminated the path of utter darkness until I reached the shadows caused by fire. The screams are endless but not loud; the people are too exhausted from screaming to scream with any energy but neither can they stop.

I rarely speak of this. I usually cry when I recall it. I'm not crying now but it's taken me a few minutes to type that last paragraph. As far as I'm concerned if you've had a vision you know it's not a dream.

It's enough to motivate a person so I've often wondered why God doesn't show the unbeliever what's in store. But then I remember the effect of miracles on the wandering Jews of the Old Testament and the Sadducees and Pharisees of the New. Dramatic events can affect a person profoundly but rarely does such change endure among those whose thinking is futile, whose hearts are darkened, among those who have been given over to their lusts, those who worship the created instead of the Creator.

The better motivation is love. It was while I was still a sinner that God showed his love for me by crushing his son on my behalf. No greater love is there than the surrender of his life for yours and mine but that love doesn't stop at Calvary. I know and am known wherever I go and am loved and accepted exactly as I am now matter where I am (and I don't mean geography).

And no one can take that away from me.

Nothing can separate me from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus. Because I am loved I can now love others. I used to think I knew what love was but then I was loved. His love is so powerful it is intolerable when fully revealed; no human can long stand in it unshielded. We weep. We say, "Please depart from me for I am sinful," but God never leaves. He simply dials down the glory and radiance to levels His children can withstand on this side of the grave. Such is His love for us.

I hope you know this love .
          Thank you for sharing your testimony. That is powerful.
          Cynthia

Comment

• Sorry to say that people that hear "god" talking to them need psychotherapy.
            My g-friends 42 year old daughter sees $ hears god "talk". She sees messages in the snow, grass, clouds, wind................
            She is also diagnose with paranoid schizophrenia.
            Whoooooooooooo-boy is she a treat to be around.
            How she still has a drivers license is a mystery.
            She's wrecked cars at least 7 times just
            in the 5 years I've know her.
            She saw or heard something that distracted her attention.
            Perhaps "god" talk distracted her????

There’s an old joke: When you talk to God, we call it prayer, but when God talks to you, we call it schizophrenia.

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/1...y-arent-crazy/

If members in this site hear "god talk" or see visions get mental health help quickly.
            How many murders have occurred when a disturbed person hears "god" tell them to kill
            someone?
            I'm retired police and I've seen such things. Like the mental patient that stabbing his mother
            to death because "god" said to put her out of her misery.
            Stabbed in the face with a butter knife till she bled to death.
            How about the mental that heard god tell him to steal his neighbors 3 month old baby.
            He did in the middle of a January night & left the baby outdoors where it froze to death.
            I could go on but you get the message.

Last edited by jeager106; 10-12-17, 09:59 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by jeager106 View Post
              Sorry to say that people that hear "god" talking to them need psychotherapy.
              My g-friends 42 year old daughter sees $ hears god "talk". She sees messages in the snow, grass, clouds, wind................
              She is also diagnose with paranoid schizophrenia.
              Whoooooooooooo-boy is she a treat to be around.
              How she still has a drivers license is a mystery.
              She's wrecked cars at least 7 times just
              in the 5 years I've know her.
              She saw or heard something that distracted her attention.
              Perhaps "god" talk distracted her????

There’s an old joke: When you talk to God, we call it prayer, but when God talks to you, we call it schizophrenia.

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/1...y-arent-crazy/

If members in this site hear "god talk" or see visions get mental health help quickly.
              How many murders have occurred when a disturbed person hears "god" tell them to kill
              someone?
              I'm retired police and I've seen such things. Like the mental patient that stabbing his mother
              to death because "god" said to put her out of her misery.
              Stabbed in the face with a butter knife till she bled to death.
              How about the mental that heard god tell him to steal his neighbors 3 month old baby.
              He did in the middle of a January night & left the baby outdoors where it froze to death.
              I could go on but you get the message. copd...and I was the young girl trying to ride her bike in the basement

Don't you know that, whenever God gives us a gift, Satan is there with a counterfeit?

As a cop, I guess you probably see too much of the underside of life...the worst of the worst. And let's face it...the underside is bloated with sin.

Ask yourself...audible or not, would God tell anyone to stab their mother or expose an infant?

Of course not.

Would God warn a young man that his mother, who has copd, was struggling to breathe, and needed his help? Or warn a woman that her sister's child, who was playing in the basement, had fallen and broken her arm and was all but unconscious with the pain?

These are things that I have seen. In fact, I am the Mom with copd...and I was the young girl trying to ride her bike in the basement

John 10:27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me.

God Who was made flesh for me and nailed upon a lonely tree
              What gift can I bring that would suffice to repay such great sacrifice?
              All that I am I lay at Your throne. Make me, Lord, Your very Own.

Comment

• The Barrd

You are truly blessed.

Comment

Working...
                X