Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

Edited to add more information for posters:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Buddhism Exposed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buddhism Exposed

Video showing the hidden satanic side of Buddhism:

First video isn't working:

Comment

You don't need a whole video to "expose" Buddhism. Organized Buddhism teaches "There is no self." This is obviously false, because "I think; therefore I am." Done. That's all that has to be said. Anyone who can buy into "There is no self" (i.e. "I don't exist") is clearly insane.

Comment

Originally posted by davidbrainerd View Post
        You don't need a whole video to "expose" Buddhism. Organized Buddhism teaches "There is no self." This is obviously false, because "I think; therefore I am." Done. That's all that has to be said. Anyone who can buy into "There is no self" (i.e. "I don't exist") is clearly insane.
        What you think is your 'self' isn't. It has as much reality as the water in a mirage.

You are not the same as you were when you were 10 years old. Which is your 'self', you at 10 years old or you now? The two are different, so you are not allowed to answer both. You can only pick one.

Buddhism is not Christianity; it takes a very different approach to many things.

rossum
        The ultimate truth is that there is no ultimate truth.

Comment

Originally posted by rossum View Post

What you think is your 'self' isn't. It has as much reality as the water in a mirage.

You are not the same as you were when you were 10 years old. Which is your 'self', you at 10 years old or you now? The two are different, so you are not allowed to answer both. You can only pick one.

Buddhism is not Christianity; it takes a very different approach to many things.

rossum
          That's nonsense. And its obvious original Buddhism was about getting the soul out of a cycle of reincarnation to go to a realm called Nibbana which is an afterlife termed the "ultimate bliss" and "deathless state". There are still remnants of this systrm in the Dhammapada despite the rest of the suttas being hopelessly corrupt. For instance, you don't ride to nibbana on elephants but the well trained self gets there by training its self. I wandered through many life times seeking the house builder (i.e. I am the thing that dwells in a house; house is body so I is soul). Several statements like this show Buddha's original system: you are not the body, you're the soul, stop identifying with the body in order to seek liberation. But later Buddhism totally corrupted it into silly stoner logic: "how do I know I really exist, man?" And now its worse than worthless.

Comment

That's nonsense. And its obvious original Buddhism was about getting the soul out of a cycle of reincarnation to go to a realm called Nibbana which is an afterlife termed the "ultimate bliss" and "deathless state".
            You need to read some Buddhist scripture. You mention the Dhammapada below:
            "All the elements of reality are soulless."
            When one realises this by wisdom,
            then one does not heed ill.
            This is the Path of Purity.

-- Dhammapada 20:7
            You are misinformed on this point. You do not have a soul. One of the realisations that forms part of enlightenment is the realisation that what you thought was your soul, wasn't. You were making an error.

There are still remnants of this syst[e]m in the Dhammapada despite the rest of the suttas being hopelessly corrupt.
            I would need to see some good evidence for that. As well as the Theravada versions of the suttas in the Pali Canon, we also have large parts of the Sautrantika and Sarvastivada versions still extant in Chinese or Tibetan translation.

Several statements like this show Buddha's original system: you are not the body, you're the soul, stop identifying with the body in order to seek liberation.
            Buddhism divides a human person into five parts. The first part is the physical body, the other four parts (feelings, perceptions, formations and consciousness) are immaterial, but are not the soul. Only the formations part carries over into the next life, it carries accumulated memories and karma, but those change throughout your life. It is neither unchanging nor eternal.

rossum

Comment

Originally posted by rossum View Post

You need to read some Buddhist scripture. You mention the Dhammapada below:
              "All the elements of reality are soulless."
              When one realises this by wisdom,
              then one does not heed ill.
              This is the Path of Purity.

-- Dhammapada 20:7
              You are misinformed on this point. You do not have a soul.
              Get a real translation rather than this horrid paraphrase that has merely biased it by telling you what the translator has made up rather than what the text says.

http://www.tipitaka.net/tipitaka/dhp....php?verse=277

Its also helpful in referencing verses to reference by running verse number rather than chapter and verse number from beginning of chapter.

Verse 279: "All phenomena (dhammas) are without Self"; when one sees this with Insight-wisdom, one becomes weary of dukkha (i.e., the khandhas). This is the Path to Purity."

Its better but still not perfectly accurate. Good thing we have the Pali in this edition.

"Sabbe sankhara anatta" ti
              yada pannaya passati
              atha nibbindati dukkhe
              esa maggo visuddhiya.

anatta really means non-self or not-the-self, not without-self, so:

Verse 279: "All phenomena are not-the-self"; when one sees this with Insight-wisdom, one becomes weary of dukkha (i.e., the khandhas). This is the Path to Purity."

The Khandas, of course, are the physical body. Phenomena in philosophy means physical things, or things empirically detectable by the 5 senses.

This is the same as to say: No physical thing is you. I.e. you are the soul. Anatta means not-the-self, not 'soulless'. Buddha never said we are soulless but that our bodies are not the real us.
              Last edited by davidbrainerd; 05-18-17, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Verse 279: "All phenomena (dhammas) are without Self"; when one sees this with Insight-wisdom, one becomes weary of dukkha (i.e., the khandhas). This is the Path to Purity."
                Dhammas/dharmas are exactly the "elements of reality". Everything that exists in composed of dhammas. Nirvana/nibbana is itself one of the dhammas. The khandas/skandhas are the five constituent parts of a human being that I mentioned above: form, feelings, perceptions, formations and consciousness. None of the dhammas is a soul, and everything that exists is composed of dhammas. Hence there are no souls anywhere.

anatta really means non-self or not-the-self, not without-self, so:

Verse 279: "All phenomena are not-the-self"; when one sees this with Insight-wisdom, one becomes weary of dukkha (i.e., the khandhas). This is the Path to Purity."
                If all dhammas are "not the self" then no dhamma can be the self. QED.

The Khandas, of course, are the physical body.
                You are misinformed. The physical body is only the first of the five khandas: the rupa khanda. The other four khandas make up the non-physical components of a human being. None of those non-physical components is a soul.

Anatta means not-the-self, not 'soulless'. Buddha never said we are soulless but that our bodies are not the real us.
                Your source has misinterpreted the Buddha. There is indeed more to us than just our physical bodies, however that "more" does not include a soul.

rossum

Comment

Ultimately, it doesn't matter if my interpretation of original Buddhism based on the Dhammapada is correct or not. Modern Buddhism says there is no self and no soul, and thus it is a fake atheist "religion" for stoners who smoke their weed and say "I don't even exist maaaaaan" and the take another puff. The only difference in my interpretation and yours, rossum, is I don't think Buddha himself was such a stoner, but you do.

Comment

Ultimately, it doesn't matter if my interpretation of original Buddhism based on the Dhammapada is correct or not. Modern Buddhism says there is no self and no soul, and thus it is a fake atheist "religion" ...
                    Buddhism is not atheist. Both the Theravda and Mahayana scriptures have gods. Here is an excerpt from the Mahayana Lotus Sutra:
                    Sakra, the ruler of the celestials, with twenty thousand gods, his followers, such as the god Chandra (the Moon), the god Surya (the Sun), the god Samantagandha (the Wind), the god Ratnaprabha, the god Avabhasaprabha, and others; further, the four great rulers of the cardinal points with thirty thousand gods in their train, viz. the great ruler Virudhaka, the great ruler Virupaksha, the great ruler Dhritarashtra, and the great ruler Vaisravana; the god Ishvara and the god Maheshvara, each followed by thirty thousand gods; further, Brahma Sahdmpati and his twelve thousand followers, the Brahmakayika gods, amongst whom Brahma Sikhin and Brahma Gyotishprabha, with the other twelve thousand Brahmakayika gods.
                    Gods exist, but they are not important. A Buddhist can ignore them since they are not relevant to the Path. They have to follow the path for themselves, just like the rest of us.

... for stoners who smoke their weed and say "I don't even exist maaaaaan" and the take another puff. The only difference in my interpretation and yours, rossum, is I don't think Buddha himself was such a stoner, but you do.
                    Your lack of knowledge of Buddhism is showing. One of the wrong livelihoods is dealing in intoxicants, which includes non-medicinal drugs.

rossum

Comment

Working...
                    X