Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Is there getting around the contradiction involved in an Avatar of God ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there getting around the contradiction involved in an Avatar of God ?

If Krishna the God-man is a specific person (i.e. a specific Divine Person) how can he at the same time be another specific person (i.e. a specific human person) ? The only way around this contradiction is apparently to argue that Krishna took the form of man without actually becoming a specific man, so as not to be in a violation of the LNC (i.e. something cannot at the same time be A and A), -- i.e. to argue that Krishna is not at the same time a specific person Y and not a specific person Y . In other words, we have to say that Krishna was a specific person Y who had the nature/characteristics of Z without becoming a Z person . I watched the movie Avatar a while back and I think James Cameron has borrowed a page from Hinduism to avoid a contradiction in this beautiful story.

A philosopher by the name of Lane Craig put it as follows when asked by detractors of how a God person can be a human person. His brilliant answer (that God was not a human person) I think borrows from Hindu philosophy. Below just substitute "human" nature with "Divine" nature to understand the point :

How many of you have seen the movie Avatar? OK, a few at least. An avatar is another name for incarnation. This movie tells the story of Jake Sully who is a disabled Marine who becomes an avatar among a race of extraterrestrials called the Navi. Jake Sully is physically disabled, yet he becomes physically incarnated among them as a Navi. At the same time, however, he doesn't cease to be human. So Jake has both a human nature and a Navi nature. These two natures have strikingly different properties. If you were to say, "Can Jake Sully run?" the answer would be yes and no. He cannot run as a human being in his human nature but certainly in his Navi nature he can run. If you can make sense of Avatar then you can make sense of Christ's incarnation because in exactly the same way Christ has both a divine nature and a human nature. These two natures have different powers. In his human nature, Christ experienced all of the limitations intrinsic to humanity, but in his divine nature he has supernatural powers. Just as Jake Sully in his Navi nature became the savior of the Navi people so Christ in his human nature becomes the savior of humankind. So I think this model makes perfect sense of the incarnation and there is nothing illogical or incoherent about it.
    Thoughts ?
    Last edited by John Milton; 07-03-18, 07:09 PM.

Originally posted by John Milton View Post
    If Krishna the God-man is a specific person (i.e. a specific Divine Person) how can he at the same time be another specific person (i.e. a specific human person) ? The only way around this contradiction is apparently to argue that Krishna took the form of man without actually becoming a specific man, so as not to be in a violation of the LNC (i.e. something cannot at the same time be A and A), -- i.e. to argue that Krishna is not at the same time a specific person Y and not a specific person Y . In other words, we have to say that Krishna was a specific person Y who had the nature/characteristics of Z without becoming a Z person . I watched the movie Avatar a while back and I think James Cameron has borrowed a page from Hinduism to avoid a contradiction in this beautiful story.

A philosopher by the name of Lane Craig put it as follows when asked by detractors of how a God person can be a human person. His brilliant answer (that God was not a human person) I think borrows from Hindu philosophy. Below just substitute "human" nature with "Divine" nature to understand the point :

Thoughts ?
    A doctor does not equal a man. However, the same person can be both a doctor and a man. Doctorhood is an attribute acquired by a man at some point in time. God does not equal a man, however, there is no logical reason why God cannot acquire humanity at some point in time. This is fairly basic logic, don't you think? If God is three Persons, and one of them could become a man, acquire humanity, at some point in time, namely the Son, then there does not seem to be any logical reason why one of the other persons could not become human at some other point in time, perhaps the Holy Spirit becoming Krishna. I don't believe the Holy Spirit did become genuinely human, rather than adopt a human form only, but I'm just pointing out what seems to be a logical flaw in your reasoning.
    Last edited by Akriboo; 11-13-18, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by John Milton View Post
      If Krishna the God-man is a specific person
      No sense in paying attention to anything else when it starts with THIS ridiculous question.

Comment

Working...
      X