Do you believe in keeping the Sabbath?

You aren't seeing that Hebrews 4:9 in Thayer's lexicon is not referring to the 7th day Sabbath.

You can find circumcision in Genesis, but that doesn't mean one must be physically circumcised today.

The 10 commandments were given before the old covenant began and they are still given after the old covenant ended. The lexicon sates to keep the Sabbath, there are examples of keeping the Sabbath in the New Testament, there are no express commandments to forget about the Sabbath or that it has been replaced, and Hebrews 4 plainly states there is still a Sabbath for the people of God and we should be obedient to God, making every effort to enter His rest. This is all Bible. All of the evidence is pro-Sabbath..

What you’re saying is just anti-sabbath propaganda and religious dogma. You’re ignoring the Bible on this.

The 10 commandments were given before the old covenant began

As with physical circumcision.

The lexicon sates to keep the Sabbath

No, it doesn't.

, there are examples of keeping the Sabbath in the New Testament,

For the Jews.

there are no express commandments to forget about the Sabbath

Colossians 2:16 teaches otherwise.

or that it has been replaced,

See Hebrews 8:13. Not replaced, but abrogated.

and Hebrews 4 plainly states there is still a Sabbath for the people of God

Yes, heaven.

No need to post it since I am not the one asserting that it does.
He who asserts must prove.

You are asserting that Hebrews 4 has nothing to do with literal sabbath keeping. That’s your position. What you were asked is a valid question about your position.

As with physical circumcision.

No, it doesn't.

For the Jews.

Colossians 2:16 teaches otherwise.

See Hebrews 8:13. Not replaced, but abrogated.

Yes, heaven.

Okay now I know you’re just anti-sabbath and ignoring all evidence to the contrary at this point. For you this is your faith so you’re just digging in and resisting at this point, but I was hoping you would be reachable on an intellectually honest level at least. So, once again, I’ll leave you to your preferred (false) doctrine.

Do you believe in keeping the Sabbath?
Yes, but I do not believe keeping the Sabbath is required any longer as a means of obtaining righteousness or justification. I keep a sabbath as a means of rest, even though Jesus fulfilled ALL the law and I now find my rest 24/7 in him. I understand that we have liberty to regard one day above another or not regard one day above another as long as we do so in honor of God while not judging others who practice differently, as outlined in Romans 13. I also understand it is not only lawful to do good on a day of rest, but doing so exceeds any and all law pertaining to the day of rest.
Just curious if anyone here believes in keeping the Sabbath. I, for one, do believe in keeping the Sabbath for the same reason I believe in keeping the other 9 commandments; the are prescribed to the church as part of our life.

I've seen that all of the 10 commandments are repeated in the New Testament and prescribed for the people of God, i.e., those who obey Christ as their Lord and believe in him as their Savior. In other words, this is for Christians who make up the church.

1) Do not worship any other gods (1 Corinthians 8:6; 1 Timothy 2:5)
2) Do not make idols (1 John 5:21)
3) Do not misuse the name of the LORD (1 Timothy 6:1)
4) The Sabbath rest (Hebrews 4:9)
5) Honor your father and your mother (Ephesians 6:1–2)
6) Do not murder (Romans 13:9; 1 Peter 4:15)
7) Do not commit adultery (1 Corinthians 6:9–10)
8) Do not steal (Ephesians 4:28)
9) Do not give false testimony (Revelation 21:8)
10) Do not covet (Colossians 3:5)

So I try to keep the Sabbath, and the other commandments, because they are prescribed as part of God's will for the church.

Also curious if anyone disagrees then please provide any proof the Sabbath was abolished completely, was not kept by Christians in the New Covenant, was replaced by Sunday, or if the 10 commandments are even relevant. Thank you.
Are you practice the Sabbath on the seventh day? If not then that practice occurs outside the stipulations of the Sabbath law.

You are asserting that Hebrews 4 has nothing to do with literal sabbath keeping. That’s your position. What you were asked is a valid question about your position.
I already stated my position backed up with evidence that has not been refuted.

I was hoping you would be reachable on an intellectually honest level at least. So, once again, I’ll leave you to your preferred (false) doctrine.

What a joke.
You quoted from Thayer's Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament and that didn't even agree with your outlandish assertion.

What a joke.
You quoted from Thayer's Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament and that didn't even agree with your outlandish assertion.

That’s not how exegesis or Bible interpretation works. We don’t just believe something has been abolished when the Bible says no such thing then put the burden of proof on others to prove the negative you’re holding.

Hi Fred,

Why don't you post Hebrews 4:1-13 and then try to tell us it has nothing to do with the Sabbath?
Why start at 4:1? Why not ask him to post the whole thing? Why do you only want him to post part of it, out of context?

Seems kind of dishonest, to me.

No need to post it since I am not the one asserting that it does.
He who asserts must prove.

Hi Fred,

I'm just asking to see how you're coming to the conclusion you made below and seeing if it's consistent with what is written in the passage in question.

No Greek lexicon has been cited that agrees with you.

Seems kind of convenient to make this assertion and then avoid even the simple task of posting Hebrews 4:1-13 and telling us why this isn't referring to the Sabbath. I have zero problem posting this passage of Scripture, but first let's look at the Sabbath commandment found in Exodus 20:8-11 such that we know precisely what we're looking for in Hebrews 4.

Exodus 20:8-11
“Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the 1seventh day is a sabbath to the Lord your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your male or female servant, nor your animals, nor any foreigner residing in your towns. For in six days 2the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he 3rested on the seventh day. Therefore the Lord 4blessed the Sabbath day and made it 5holy.

So here are the elements that comprise the Sabbath:
1. The seventh day​
2. Creation of heavens, earth, sea and everything in them​
3. God rested from His work​
4. The day is blessed​
5. The day is made holy​

Do you agree with these conclusions?

God bless!

Just fyi to anyone who reads this, the 10 commandments aren’t the old covenant. Hence why they existed before the old covenant was ratified and after the old covenant was ended; they’re still in effect.

If it’s important to you then search out what I’m saying; a good place to look is in Genesis. Anyone interested, let me know and I’ll point out where each of the 10 commandments were given before the old covenant began and after it ended. If it isn’t important to you then carry on.

Back