Greg Boyd on the Resurrection

What? Very little history is. One hardly ever finds a history book written in the present tense. That would be some real gonzo history.

"And the Redcoats are now retreating here at Bunker Hill."
scoregood.gif

Don't think so. Have never seen it applied to any ancient time period like.
  • GENGHIS KHAN.
  • ALEXANDER THE GREAT.
  • TAMERLANE.
  • ATILLA THE HUN.
  • CHARLEMAGNE.
  • PHARAOH THUTMOSE III OF EGYPT.
  • ASHOKA THE GREAT.
  • CYRUS THE GREAT.
So please explain what religious supernatural claims stem from these narratives that survive as fact in a natural world.
Eyewitness testimony is accepted in courts and history so i don't know what you are talking about and it is not a standard you reject elsewhere as weak.
But you don’t have any eye witnesses. You have assertions of eye witnesses by later authors that don’t claim to have ever met one.
So again you are using two faced standards to justify your bias.
Nope. Just one.
History requires detached analysis. Sounds like you do not know the difference or have all the nuance of a bull in a china shop. Either way, it is unprofessional and certainly would not want your standards applied to you if you were the subject of investigation.
You still fail to understand the difference between history and religious narrative, even though you deny the same type of narrative for other religious material. Did Muhammad fly on the back of a winged horse? Is that history to you.
Has not changed and the side you represents do accept and you have not said what you represent. Take a side or go home.
My side is your biblical narratives dubious supernatural claims like all other religions. That’s my side.
LOL! You are the one who brought up probability and that makes it relevant. Improbable events happen all the time and powerball is an example. Yet you dismiss with a hand wave. Sounds like you are in over your head.
But I can meet a lottery winner.
Actually they are recording from eyewitnesses which is standard for that time. Including other accounts. From my earlier link.
There are no eyewitnesses. The authors of the accounts interviewed none.
the Roman emperor Tiberius died just a few years after Jesus (AD 37), and Tacitus and Suetonius wouldn’t write a biography of him for 70-80 years (AD 110-120). Likewise, Alexander the Great died in 323 BC, and Arrian of Nicomedia (AD 130) and Lucian (AD 100) didn’t write a biography for over 400 years! Thus, if we are skeptical of Jesus, then we need to be even more skeptical of these great figures in history. And this would effectively place us back in the Dark Ages when it comes to history!
We would be skeptical if they resurrected, or they flew on winged horses... sure... Is that their historic claim?
Define religious literature
Literature meant to inspire spiritual faith and elicit emotional connections over reporting rote facts.
and tell us if Josephus meets your subjective definition that is not a historical standard anywhere? It is akin to saying it is propaganda so we can ignore. That is not how history is done. They do not find lame excuses to ignore. Critics dismiss not because of evidence but because of bias which is two different things altogether.
Religion can be placed in a historical context. Just be sure when you study its constituent parts you know the difference.
They use it as history and many used it in archeology. They did not get your memo. :geek:
See above. ;)

Think all you want, you haven't answered my question.
John considered the last yet contains evidence of an early date in 5:2

Now there is in Jerusalem by the Sheep Gate a pool called Bethesda in Aramaic, which has five covered walkways. (John 5:2 NET)

Present tense which means existed at the time of the writings. This was all flattened and buried at the fall of Jerusalem in 70.

Last edited:
Does not answer.

If you are skeptical then falsify with evidence. Opinion is not evidence of anything. It sounds like you are reduced to sarcasm. Where is your probability calculation? We can concluded Sam Jones did not win the powerball because of the 5wise probability standard even if history records Sam did and is used everywhere? ?
Don’t change the point. The point is you think an absence of some mention in Acts dictates something as follows,

"If Mark is 70 then Acts is later than 70 so why is the fall of Jerusalem not in Acts as history? Jesus predicted and here it is fulfilled. Why is it not there?"

So if your *historical* methodology of analyzing what is absent holds any meaning at all.... what does an absence of a report of a great visitation of the Magi in the court of Herod, the announcement of the long awaited Messiah in that same court, and a vast mass order of the killing of the children of age mean if it’s not found in the Antiquities - something with a purpose of recording actual historical events just like that? How do you square any of that if we are so stressed to sort out why the Fall of Jerusalem isn’t found in religious material after some date?

Again, I can meet the Powerball winner. He didn’t ascend to sit on the right hand side of the State Lottery commissioner. He’s available.

Last edited:
What? Very little history is. One hardly ever finds a history book written in the present tense. That would be some real gonzo history.

"And the Redcoats are now retreating here at Bunker Hill."
Dang.. And I thought the WWII News Reels before movies and the moon shot were actual events.

Dang.. And I thought the WWII News Reels before movies and the moon shot were actual events.

Good for you, because they were. But before the advent of film, you accept nothing as history other than present tense reporting, right? How about that fraud Edward Gibbon? He wrote in past tense. And how can we really know, for example, what happened during the Civil War? We'll need to find some nineteenth century Geraldo Rivera, embedded in the Union or Confederate Army and read his reports, I guess.

So please explain what religious supernatural claims stem from these narratives that survive as fact in a natural world.
Where is you probability standard since you claim it is applied everywhere?
But you don’t have any eye witnesses.
Read Acts two. 1 John 1. What we have seen what we have heard. Go ahead and falsify since it is your burden.
You have assertions of eye witnesses by later authors that don’t claim to have ever met one.
Up to you to falsify with evidence from that time period.
Nope. Just one.

You still fail to understand the difference between history and religious narrative,
That is something you made up. It is obvious from the writings they are history writings. Prove otherwise if you believe they are fiction. I am not here to jump thru you subjective hoops you pulled from the nether regions and have no basis in historical investigation protocol.
even though you deny the same type of narrative for other religious material. Did Muhammad fly on the back of a winged horse? Is that history to you.
I don't know. What secular historians do is usually glean them out and look for historicity. What is the compiled evidence for the event in question and does it match the Gospel evidence? I do not have an anti supernatural bias like you do. Never did, even as an unbeliever. Always thought witches had power of some sort because i knew them and seen some results. Knew one that put a spell on a guy and the guy could not leave her alone. Never knew why since the lady was plain and the guy was good looking and had a lot going for him. As is, she ruined him and left him in the slam. She could not get rid of him.
My side is your biblical narratives dubious supernatural claims like all other religions. That’s my side.
That is called bias since you do not know everything. And your bias is only selectively applied or you have no counter models on the table. None. It is like you want to play poker with no chips. That is not how it is done. You don't get to make up your own rules and expect others to comply.
But I can meet a lottery winner.
It still invalidates your subjective probability standard and your claim it is applied everywhere.
There are no eyewitnesses. The authors of the accounts interviewed none.
Luke say otherwise. You do not falsify via ignorance and opinion. It is first century standards. Not ours or yours applied backwards in time. Which is anachronistic.
We would be skeptical if they resurrected, or they flew on winged horses... sure... Is that their historic claim?
Don't know, is it? There is historical claims nonhuman angels mated with human females and produced giant offspring that survived thru the flood via one of the eight survivors of the flood. That tells us angels can mate with human females and can produce offspring. You do know all that is assumed in the New?

A woman should have a cover on her head because of the angles. 1 Cor. 11:10. First century Christians and 2nd temple Jews interpreted that verse as protection against angels who looked down on human females with possible desire. It was later reinterpreted as symbol of submission.

6 And angels who did not keep their own domain but abandoned their proper dwelling place, these He has kept in eternal restraints under darkness for the judgment of the great day,

Angels did not keep because they mated with human females and produced hybrid offspring prior to the flood when humans lived for hundreds of years. Keep in mind Jesus had a nonhuman Father as did the offspring of angels and humans.
Literature meant to inspire spiritual faith and elicit emotional connections over reporting rote facts.
Then falsify the facts. If you can't then it has standing. You are not required to believe anything. You can live in your box as long as you know you don't know everything and could be wrong about a lot of things. And as long as you know your errors come with consequences. You reject, not because of evidence, but because of bias which is totally different. Bias is poo. That is a thing you simply fail to comprehend.
Religion can be placed in a historical context.
Like blind to sight transformations naturally no plan, no goal at all?

Last edited:
Good for you, because they were. But before the advent of film, you accept nothing as history other than present tense reporting, right? How about that fraud Edward Gibbon? He wrote in past tense. And how can we really know, for example, what happened during the Civil War? We'll need to find some nineteenth century Geraldo Rivera, embedded in the Union or Confederate Army and read his reports, I guess.
Uh... there were imbedded civil war correspondents.

Where is you probability standard since you claim it is applied everywhere?
Where is the low probability supernatural claim?
Read Acts two. 1 John 1. What we have seen what we have heard. Go ahead and falsify since it is your burden.
Why would I read that nonsense? there were no eye witnesses in those.
Up to you to falsify with evidence from that time period.
It’s biblical... All references only reported assertions of witneses
That is something you made up.
I made up the term “Religious Narrative”? That’s pretty Daft.
It is obvious from the writings they are history writings. Prove otherwise if you believe they are fiction. I am not here to jump thru you subjective hoops you pulled from the nether regions and have no basis in historical investigation protocol.
Historical investigation starts with probabilities of events, like a Caesar conquering Gaul vs. a Ceasar walking on water. You figure out how historians treat those 2 events from the same Caesar.
I don't know. What secular historians do is usually glean them out and look for historicity.
And then they don’t glean them back in however.
What is the compiled evidence for the event in question and does it match the Gospel evidence?
Why would that matter?
I do not have an anti supernatural bias like you do.
Too bad. Makes you believe strange things that more than likely not real.
Never did, even as an unbeliever. Always thought witches had power of some sort because i knew them and seen some results. Knew one that put a spell on a guy and the guy could not leave her alone. Never knew why since the lady was plain and the guy was good looking and had a lot going for him. As is, she ruined him and left him in the slam. She could not get rid of him.
Odd. My Mom was a spiritualist. Saw a lot of nonsense myself. Smart enough to know better.
That is called bias since you do not know everything. And your bias is only selectively applied or you have no counter models on the table. None. It is like you want to play poker with no chips. That is not how it is done. You don't get to make up your own rules and expect others to comply.
You just wanted me to pick a side. There it is... stack of chips I’ll bet against your beliefs.
It still invalidates your subjective probability standard and your claim it is applied everywhere.
No it doesn’t.
Luke say otherwise. You do not falsify via ignorance and opinion. It is first century standards. Not ours or yours applied backwards in time. Which is anachronistic.
The author of Luke couldn’t know that.
Don't know, is it? There is historical claims nonhuman angels mated with human females and produced giant offspring that survived thru the flood via one of the eight survivors of the flood. That tells us angels can mate with human females and can produce offspring. You do know all that is assumed in the New?

A woman should have a cover on her head because of the angles. 1 Cor. 11:10. First century Christians and 2nd temple Jews interpreted that verse as protection against angels who looked down on human females with possible desire. It was later reinterpreted as symbol of submission.

Then falsify the facts. If you can't then it has standing. You are not required to believe anything. You can live in your box as long as you know you don't know everything and could be wrong about a lot of things. And as long as you know your errors come with consequences. You reject, not because of evidence, but because of bias which is totally different. Bias is poo. That is a thing you simply fail to comprehend.

Like blind to sight transformations naturally no plan, no goal at all?
I just got tired with the rest... just kinda silly.

Why would I read that nonsense? there were no eye witnesses in those.

Is "The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire" nonsense to you, since Gibbon was not an eyewitness?

It’s biblical... All references only reported assertions of witneses

Witnesses don't assert. They observe.

Historical investigation starts with probabilities of events, like a Caesar conquering Gaul vs. a Ceasar walking on water.

No historian claimed Caesar walked on water. Matthew and John witnessed Jesus doing so.

The author of Luke couldn’t know that.'

So the only true historians are contemporaries of those they write about?

I just got tired with the rest... just kinda silly.

In other words, you're no match for Harry.

The tomb was still empty meaning the body was gone. Feeling the nail marks on the hands of Jesus somewhat invalidates your assumption.
No, that was made up later.

The body was taken down, as per Jewish law, and throw in a common grave.

Later, after AD 50 as Paul does not mention is in 1 Cor 15, the empty tomb was made up. No one could produce a body thirty years later because the bones would have been mixed with all the other victims of crucifixion.

Right our bodies will be different but there is no reason to suppose eliminated altogether. Who knows.
Paul says they will be replaced. And according to Josephus that was the Pharisee belief - that the righteous would go into new bodies.

Alright: in that case, the mistake is yours, rather than his.
Maybe suspicion is too strong a word; let's just say that it's consistent with Carrier's claim.
Sure, but that does little to make that claim more plausible, unless we should be surprised by the lack of that additional attestation.
My quoting that web page doesn't mean that Carrier hasn't made the same point for readers which are qualified to say, and he has, in "On the Historicity of Jesus," which was peer-reviewed.
Has he? Please provide a reference.

Even if so, I'm not sure I've much faith in the robustness of the peer review process of such a minor publisher, especially if a claim like this got through.
It checks one box on the "patterned after another work" box, which is the "homologous?" box. Some other work's pattern or theme is either present or not in a given work. If not present, we can't check that box. If it is, we can. Now, just because we check that box doesn't mean that hypothesis is demonstrated, but it is one box that we've checked, and the entire case will depend on all the boxes.
But the checking of the box is here immaterial, or all but immaterial.
Carrier may have articulated Mark's context, but that is probably in "On the Historicity of Jesus" which I don't have.
I see.

I’ve read more carefully what is being implied here. I think what is being implied is that the author of Mark, John Mark, a follower and interpreter of Peter, was educated in Greek, enough so to be a competent secretary to Peter and an author of a gospel. If you were educated in Greek to that extent, you most likely had to become familiar with Homer and Greek literary forms.... and potentially a bit too excited to use them. <<<< Opinion, but I think reasonable.
The trouble is that you offer this opinion, and assess it as being reasonable, without the relevant competence to make this determination. Thus, it doesn't strike you that the Greek Mark knows, and the Greek Homer is written in, are very different indeed, and so competence in the former (which, in Mark's case, is relatively basic) is no guarantee of competence (to the extent one is able and willing to use Homer as an intertext) in the latter.

The trouble is that you offer this opinion, and assess it as being reasonable, without the relevant competence to make this determination. Thus, it doesn't strike you that the Greek Mark knows, and the Greek Homer is written in, are very different indeed, and so competence in the former (which, in Mark's case, is relatively basic) is no guarantee of competence (to the extent one is able and willing to use Homer as an intertext) in the latter.
That’s cool.. . I didn’t know that. Do you know if someone learning contemporary Greek in the day would still read the classic Illiad, such as English majors today would be introduced to and utilize ideas and narrative methods of classic Shakespeare or Beowulf despite the language evolution?

Last edited:
Is "The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire" nonsense to you, since Gibbon was not an eyewitness?
No. Normative history can be reassembled from basic human sociological and anthropological realities, possibilities, and patterns and reports that adhere to them. Anomalies to normative events are acceptable if they are not claiming one-shot miracles, but events that can be shown to be possible without some declaration of unprovable supernatural intervention even if rare.... like a dormant volcano had erupted as opposed to God spit fire on the town.
Witnesses don't assert. They observe.
The assertion was the author’s concerning rumors of eyewitnesses handed down in an oral tradition.
No historian claimed Caesar walked on water. Matthew and John witnessed Jesus doing so.
Vespasian had contemporary historians record his miracles, miracles that were performed in front of large crowds of witnesses. Matthew and John are only *reported* to be eyewitnesses by an oral tradition far removed from the events.
So the only true historians are contemporaries of those they write about?
No. As stated above normative history can be reassembled from basic human sociological and anthropological realities and patterns.
In other words, you're no match for Harry.
Only in the same sense I’m no match for tolerating what Son of Sam heard from his neighbor's dog.

Last edited:
Who wrote history in the present tense, "as it happened?" Show me some. Are letters written back home the only historians to you?
I hope you will forgive a punt to wikipedia.... It’s just easier: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:War_correspondents_of_the_American_Civil_War

And if you can get over the hump of online references I found this search for Ancient Embedded Biographers going all the way back to Augustine pretty relevant: https://pressbooks.bccampus.ca/spec...ourcebook/back-matter/aii-author-biographies/

Last edited:
Back