Is this regeneration?

Can you stop dodging by asking questions and then avoiding the answer

You previously affirmed circumcision of the heart speaks to regeneration.

Now you want to play coy
I need clarification to be able to answer. Are you capable or not?

You are dodging

Not only were you already given some clarification, but you have previously argued circumcision of the heart is regeneration.
Clarification please. Shall I ask again? Maybe your up to it now.

See, this is what happens lurkers when when you roam the pages of scripture looking for gotcha verses in stead of trying to understand them properly.

Clarification please. Shall I ask again? Maybe your up to it now.

See, this is what happens lurkers when when you roam the pages of scripture looking for gotcha verses in stead of trying to understand them properly.
You are dodging

Not only were you already given some clarification, but you have previously argued circumcision of the heart is regeneration.

So the life mentioned in John 20:30-31 cannot be conflated to mean regeneration, nor can it be rendered to support faith causally precedes regeneration. Salvifically salient faith is found only in Christ and a person who is in Christ is already regenerate, converted and saved.
Actually it is faith which places a man in Christ

Ephesians 1:13 (KJV 1900) — 13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

One is not in Christ previous to faith.

There is a "by" in Titus 3:5. There is no "by" in John 20:31. You add it.
Really?

That depends on translation

John 20:31 (LEB) — 31 but these things are recorded in order that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.

John 20:31 (ESV) — 31 but these are written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.

John 20:31 (NIV) — 31 But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.

John 20:31 (CSB) — 31 But these are written so that you may believe Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and by believing you may have life in His name.

John 20:31 (NET) — 31 But these are recorded so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.

So would you agree these translations teach faith causally precedes regeneration

see also

Guess not. Good talk. Keep looking
You are still dodging.

In any case, there is no reason you cannot employ your own understanding of the circumcision of Christ to answer the question

so you are simply employing a tactical dodge.

You are still dodging.

In any case, there is no reason you cannot employ your own understanding of the circumcision of Christ to answer the question

And you simply refuse to answer a valid question about your alleged proof text.

And you simply refuse to answer a valid question about your alleged proof text.
Rather, you dodge answering a question by asking another question

As was noted

You are still dodging.

Rather, you dodge answering a question by asking another question

As was noted

You are still dodging.

Clarification is necessary. You can't do it. That's fine. I should have know

Clarification is necessary. You can't do it. That's fine. I should have know
You are dodging as you customarily do

You are dodging as you customarily do

No answer yet? No cut and paste from the Pelagian playbook?

No answer yet? No cut and paste from the Pelagian playbook?
You continue your dodge

Not only were you provided with some clarification, but you fail to answer the question using your

own view of what the circumcision of Christ entails.

Is circumcision of the heart regeneration in your view?

You have previously affirmed this, so why so coy now?

You continue your dodge

Not only were you provided with some clarification, but you fail to answer the question using your

own view of what the circumcision of Christ entails.

Is circumcision of the heart regeneration in your view?

You have previously affirmed this, so why so coy now?
Some clarification? How about no clarification.

How about you answer a question for a change and stop responding to questions with questions.
Your OP has a point to make. You, in all your wisdom, think you have a gotcha moment.

So for the sake of argument let's say circumcision in your proof text is regeneration. Give us your genius punch line.

Your OP has a point to make. You, in all your wisdom, think you have a gotcha moment.

So for the sake of argument let's say circumcision in your proof text is regeneration. Give us your genius punch line.
Fact you had previously affirmed, it was when you needed it to argue for regeneration in the Old Testament.

Does the meaning change with your need?

Colossians 2:11 (ESV) — 11 In him also you were circumcised with a circumcision made without hands, by putting off the body of the flesh, by the circumcision of Christ,

Did you notice those two words which I bolded?

How does one get in Christ?

As my purpose in posting was to say something about regeneration to those who affirm the circumcision of the heart equals regeneration view, and you did not do, so I find no need to discuss anything other than your definition of regeneration and what you denied regarding

John 20:31 (KJV 1900) — 31 But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.

That believing precedes life.

Now if you do not want to defend your claim there then there is nothing to talk about.
This op is about Colossians 2:11 and not John 20:31. The goalposts have been moved and my op-replies ignored. It is not rational for any of us to enjoin discourse with any poster who does either. Get back to Colossians 2:11 and finish that discussion before moving to other verses and other tangents.

Second or third time I've asked.

Really?

That depends on translation
No, it depends on the Greek. There's no "by" there.

And this SHOULD be a place where you respond immediately and directly with, "Ah, yes, I see you are correct, Josh. I will adjust my thinking and my posting accordingly and in a manner consistent with the manuscript evidence and NOT post canonical doctrines made by men."

But I will bet that is not what happens.

This has become another example among many where information is used selectively and eisegetically to prove already-existing biases. Do not expect me to ignore it or collaborate with it. At best the verse is correlative and not causative. There is no causal "by" there.

Back