Who's Calling, Please?

How does Occam's Razor apply? How does the supposition that creatures have a creator involve postulating fewer entities?

"Occam's razor is the problem-solving principle that recommends searching for explanations constructed with the smallest possible set of elements."

PROBLEM: What is the etymological derivation of "creature?"
OCCAM'S RAZOR'S SUGGESTED SOLUTION: From the same root word from which we get "Creator."

1 Step

It isn't tricky if you define what you mean by time as you just did. @Tetsugaku is simply stating that the "universe just is".
It is tricky in the sense that it doesn't operate according to our common sense intuitions.
If anything happened before the universe began or caused the universe to begin, then there would be time before the universe. It would not be the same type of time that exists within the universe.
That's another possibility, but the possibility I posited would mean that it might not make sense to talk about the universe having a beginning, and yet it not existing for an eternal past.

In the end, no one knows what's going on with why there is something rather than nothing, nor the nature of time. What I've suggested opens the door a crack to the possibility that the universe has always existed, but not eternally.

"Occam's razor is the problem-solving principle that recommends searching for explanations constructed with the smallest possible set of elements."

PROBLEM: What is the etymological derivation of "creature?"
OCCAM'S RAZOR'S SUGGESTED SOLUTION: From the same root word from which we get "Creator."

1 Step
I wasn't questioning the etymology, but rather the conclusion you were trying to draw from it, which was fallacious and violates Occam's Razor.

If the "universe just is" then it should not be expanding. For it to expand there must be a cause of the expansion. If the "universe just is", then there would not be a big bang to bring it into existence.
I don't see how it follows that you can suggest a "universe that just is" and deny the current scientific thought on the expansion called the big bang.
If the universe just is then it should be stable and not expanding. If the universe just is then it should always be "just is".
Why should an uncaused universe be stable and not expanding? You are just repeating the claim rather than supporting it. And I'm not denying current scientific thought on the expansion of the early universe, which is explained by the nature of the universe itself rather than by anything outside of it. Both Russell and Hawking supported what I'm saying about the universe just existing without external cause, and both were aware of and accepted the Big Bang and the expansion of the universe.

I wasn't questioning the etymology, but rather the conclusion you were trying to draw from it, which was fallacious and violates Occam's Razor.

How does my conclusion about how YOUR detailed explanation in post 432 that caroljeen violated Occam's Razor violates Occam's Razor violate Occam's Razor?

That's another possibility, but the possibility I posited would mean that it might not make sense to talk about the universe having a beginning, and yet it not existing for an eternal past.
I agree that to have a beginning means there could not be an eternal past.
In the end, no one knows what's going on with why there is something rather than nothing, nor the nature of time. What I've suggested opens the door a crack to the possibility that the universe has always existed, but not eternally.
I don't see that as being an option if the universe has a beginning.

I now have no idea what you're talking about. #432 wasn't even my post.

Sorry about that. Correction: Your post 569.

So how does my conclusion about how YOUR detailed explanation in post 569, directed to me, that caroljeen violated Occam's Razor violates Occam's Razor violate Occam's Razor?

Sorry about that. Correction: Your post 569.

So how does my conclusion about how YOUR detailed explanation in post 569, directed to me, that caroljeen violated Occam's Razor violates Occam's Razor violate Occam's Razor?
My post #569 wasn't about Caroljeen. It was a question to you that you didn't answer. If you would like to answer it, we could then move forward from there.

Why should an uncaused universe be stable and not expanding? You are just repeating the claim rather than supporting it. And I'm not denying current scientific thought on the expansion of the early universe, which is explained by the nature of the universe itself rather than by anything outside of it. Both Russell and Hawking supported what I'm saying about the universe just existing without external cause, and both were aware of and accepted the Big Bang and the expansion of the universe.
Why would an uncaused universe expand? Doesn't there have to be some type of thrust/force to cause the universe to move/expand?

Inertia is the tendency of objects in motion to stay in motion, and objects at rest to stay at rest, unless another force causes its speed or direction to change.

My post #569 wasn't about Caroljeen.

Yet it was. You detailed your explanation as to why you thought she should have followed the logic of Occam's Razor.

How does my conclusion about how YOUR detailed explanation in post 569 that caroljeen violated Occam's Razor violates Occam's Razor violate Occam's Razor?

Why would an uncaused universe expand? Doesn't there have to be some type of thrust/force to cause the universe to move/expand?
The universe's expansion is a distinct issue from it having or lacking a cause for its very existence. The expansion can have a cause without the universe itself having a cause. I don't think cosmologists have a settled answer for cosmic expansion, but dark energy is currently thought to be involved.

Yet it was.
Post #569 combined two responses. One was me agreeing with Caroljeen that the universe being non-contingent doesn't explain everything about the universe. The second, and quite distinct part, was where I asked you a question based on your apparent rejection of Occam's Razor. You responded to that question without answering it, instead making a comment that committed the etymological fallacy while also violating Occam's Razor.

Post #569 combined two responses. One was me agreeing with Caroljeen that the universe being non-contingent doesn't explain everything about the universe. The second, and quite distinct part, was where I asked you a question based on your apparent rejection of Occam's Razor. You responded to that question without answering it, instead making a comment that committed the etymological fallacy while also violating Occam's Razor.

I'm just going to assume that your reason for not answering my question is due to reasons beyond my control. No big deal. I'm no longer interested..

The universe's expansion is a distinct issue from it having or lacking a cause for its very existence. The expansion can have a cause without the universe itself having a cause.
Are you saying that the universe existed for an indeterminate amount of time then something caused it to expand?

Should we take this discussion to the thread on Jason Dulle and the KCA?

Are you saying that the universe existed for an indeterminate amount of time then something caused it to expand?
No. I'm not saying anything contrary to modern cosmology. The universe began, possibly along with time itself, in a manner that may or may not have been caused, it inflated very rapidly in the early period known as inflation before slowing down and is now expanding at a slower but increasing rate due to dark energy. There's a lot here that is far from fully understood even by the experts (of which I am not one), but the postulated causes of all of this are within the universe itself, as aspects of the nature of space, time, matter, and energy. None of this requires the universe itself to have a cause or be ontologically contingent upon some further entity.

Should we take this discussion to the thread on Jason Dulle and the KCA?
Yes, that's probably a good idea.

Last edited:
String theory is speculative, not proven. But I agree that if there was time prior to the Big Bang then our universe may have a cause. My point is that there might also not be time prior to the Big Bang, in which case there would be no need (and perhaps no possibility) of a cause. I certainly don't agree with your definition of time (as you could have relative position in space without any time involved at all), and I don't see how this excuses you from needing time in order to have cause and effect.
My point is that You havent proven that time is necessary for cause and effect events. If time is just the relative positions of objects in space then such a concept may not be necessary for causal events.
But my main point again is that experience can be of no use inductively here, given how radically different universe-beginnings are compared to anything of which we have experience. (If you're interested, we've been discussing these ideas in more detail in my recent thread "Jason Dulle Defends Kalam Against Hawking".)
You dont really know that universe beginnings are radically different from beginnings that we do have experience with. In fact from the characteristics of the universe such as having a beginning from a finite point and its expansion, it is behaving basically identical to other things within the universe that are caused or are effects.

My point is that You haven't proven that time is necessary for cause and effect events.
We don't have any experience of causation where causes do not precede their effects, so while some other kind of causation might conceivably be possible, such a suggestion further supports my point that we are dealing with a case radically different from anything we have experience of, or to which we could therefore reasonably extrapolate.

If time is just the relative positions of objects in space...
Again, it isn't. That's not what time is.

You dont really know that universe beginnings are radically different from beginnings that we do have experience with.
I believe I have more than adequately supported that point. We have no experience at all of universe beginnings, of beginnings of (vs in) time, of causation from other dimensions of time, or of causation without time. We have no experience of any of this, so we have no basis on which to extrapolate to it from what we have experienced.

Any inductive argument from observed beginnings to all events requiring causes can be matched with an equally strong inductive argument (from exactly the same number of observed cases) to all causes having to occur within the same dimension of time and prior to their effects. It is not consistent of you to appeal to induction when it supports you while ignoring it when it doesn't.

It explains why induction from empirical observation can't tell us whether or not the universe was caused. Note that over those two million years, no-one has ever observed any universe-beginning, or any beginning at all for which there was no prior time. So we have no observational basis for insisting that the universe must have a cause. Note further that among those observations are those of quantum events for which we have not observed any prior sufficient cause, and also that every observation for which we've observed a cause is, from an inductive perspective, equally good grounds for inferring that every effect must have a prior physical cause located in time. No-one has made any verified observation of causation-by-deity, causation-from-the-immaterial, causation-without-time, or causation-from-a-different-time-dimension. So as far as observation is concerned, none of these are any better off or better supported than an uncaused universe.
Actually we do have evidence of the nonphysical causing the physical. Your non-physical mind caused you to sit down and type this response. And we know that QM could not have caused the universe because QM requires an interval of our dimension of time in order to occur. Because at the Big bang our dimension of time = 0. And we do have observational basis for the universe having a cause, our observations show that it has all the characteristics of being an effect, ie a beginning and/or change.

Back